• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playdead's INSIDE spoiler thread.

I just finished my playthroughs earlier today...the fuck...

There are two points where I was absolutely engrossed in the journey, and I ended up speechless staring at my screen.

- Being pulled underwater by the creepy kid, and realizing that it wasn't a death/back to checkpoint sequence. There was a point to where I thought it was glitched, and was about to load my game. Once I figured out what was going on, I realized I had no idea of what was going on. One of the highlights for the year personally.
That was masterful use of gameplay to build up an expectation in the player's head. By cutting short early, the game made you fear the water and assume it was trying to kill you. So then when it subverts your expectations, it's this perfect "Wait..wait, oh shit..." moment

I finished it about fifteen minutes ago. A good game with really interesting ideas, if perhaps a little too vague for my tastes - although speculating on what it all means is part of the fun!

Initially I got vibes from George Orwell's novels Nineteen Eighty Four and Animal Farm, with the dead pigs everywhere and the whole 'big brother is watching you' aspect. I then thought that maybe this was during wartime and the 'zombies' were being used primarily as soldiers. I think the zombies were common folk rounded up into service and then each given a parasite to turn them into easily-controlled drones. The section with the explosions may have been a bomb test site where the zombies were sent to test their endurance, as nothing else you put them through seemed to harm them (you see at least one time some zombies being taken away, and I think this was them being shipped off). I thought the 'Dark Water' merpeople and the blob were also experiments which were designed to be sent against the enemy forces, and the boy's growing abilities were possibly a side-effect where he was able to assimilate other abilities.

Not sure if there was anything else I picked up and I may give it a replay, but those were my initial thoughts.

Just noticed the weirdest thing.

The second time you encounter The Ring girl, and you hop in the water right behind her and it takes her a minute to wake up, I noticed that the colors of her "umbilical chords" are red and green. And when she's floating there dormant, there's a sort of tape player and something that looks like an amp right below her. Made me thing very strangely of audio in/out chords.

Maybe the colors of her chords was well known knowledge, if so, whoops. Just food for thought, have no idea what it might mean

I've just replayed that bit (thought I'd taken a screen shot) and they looked like red and blue heart bypass tubes; oxygenated/deoxygenated blood.

- Being pulled underwater by the creepy kid, and realizing that it wasn't a death/back to checkpoint sequence.

By far the best moment of the game. The music playing as you go deeper and deeper, with the silhouette of the creature holding you (Limbo flashbacks!) was so atmospheric.

This game ended up being better than I had anticipated it would be. So bleak. If in the 90s while playing Mario World someone time-traveled and showed me this, it would impress me more than a game with photorealistic graphics. The game succeeded in telling a story filled with so much content, exclusively through gameplay. Few games do that, and especially in such a concise way.

Rodin

Finished it this morning with a friend. The game was pretty good overall (waaaay better than Limbo, hated that one) except for a few bad/annoying puzzles, but it was a bit too easy.

I also found the ending to be just absolutely awful. We spent the last 15 minutes saying "would you fucking end already", and i'm also not sure what it's supposed to mean (which is why i entered this thread), i got the initial 1984 vibes and we were kinda enjoying it but then it just becomes weird.

It's also a bit too short, my friend felt that 20€ was a bit too much for a game that barely lasts 2 hours. I'm inclined to agree, also because it's not very replayable, but at least it was good so it's kinda ok... i guess. I think i'll buy it too to replay it on my OLED, as some scenes are just made to be seen on that screen, but when it hits 5€ on steam and only to see how it looks on my TV.

Newboi

I really enjoyed my time with Inside. The only main question I have is what's the whole deal with the giant shockwave area? That's the one part of the game I couldn't thematically link to the rest of the game. I'm not sure of its purpose. If the entire game is a controlled experiment, the shockwave area really doesn't make since to me.

I really enjoyed my time with Inside. The only main question I have is what's the whole deal with the giant shockwave area? That's the one part of the game I couldn't thematically link to the rest of the game. I'm not sure of its purpose. If the entire game is a controlled experiment, the shockwave area really doesn't make since to me.

The impression I got is that it was due to military experiments. The first act had a military/concentration camp vibe, and I felt like this was the first step in the player finding out more about the organization.

The image of drones (or dummies?) strapped to chairs with helmets on felt like some type of war experimentation.

nCKy33z.jpg

This was my favorite "room" in the game. I said to myself "He's an experiment" upon first playing it, with the shot of him being contained in a room with viewing windows (notice the 04 on the bottom right). Also, the anti-gravity water effect was surreal. Felt like time was frozen.

I got big 1984 vibes (and Animal Farm) in the 1st act, but with the 2nd half it felt more like a mix between 1984 and Brave New World. I think the dystopian theme is the center of the story, maybe the intentions of the lab were originally to make humans as efficient and obedient as possible, and they were overzealous and took it too far.

I also think the game is representing a bigger story. I don't think the kid (or drone, whatever) actually lived through those particular events, at least not in that seamless fashion. Think how architecturally he would have traversed a forest, farm, city, underground lab, etc. etc. all within a very short distance. I think each set piece was an aspect of his life/the life of an experiment/the life of a drone. Starting off trying to resist (the forest, a babe lost in the woods; the city, an entire group or society being submitted to these experiments, etc.) and eventually being caught up in something bigger than the subject could have imagined, with resistance being futile. Basically being conditioned to accepting its fate.

Alternatively, it could be how a scientist or historian would view the resarch of an organization. The plants being the first to be experimented on (the forest representing it being en masse), then animals (notice the cart of dead pigs, and the concealed barn with docile pigs), then on to people (an entire city being controlled) then on to government being involved (the soundwaves and remote facility off the shore of another island) and finally on to contained laboratory experimentation.

These are just thoughts that crossed my mind while playing, I think the game is open to interpretation, you can view the story as a made up child's escapist fantasy, who knows. That's what makes it so great IMO.

I'm gonna traumatize you for all eternity: if you really pay attention you'll see one of the chicks isn't moving anymore after it comes back out.

Wasn't that the first one you met in the cornfield? The slow one :(

Could that be a clue that in the secret room at the bottom you should press REC?

VHS/Betamax/Video2000 tapes everywhere. Press REC.

The impression I got is that it was due to military experiments. The first act had a military/concentration camp vibe, and I felt like this was the first step in the player finding out more about the organization.

The image of drones (or dummies?) strapped to chairs with helmets on felt like some type of war experimentation.

nCKy33z.jpg

This was my favorite "room" in the game. I said to myself "He's an experiment" upon first playing it, with the shot of him being contained in a room with viewing windows (notice the 04 on the bottom right). Also, the anti-gravity water effect was surreal. Felt like time was frozen.

I loved that room. I wondered why it was so quiet, then I realised I was observing from behind a window, like the one opposite.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
WTF DID I JUST PLAY

Just watched the secret ending, now story explanation and analysis videos.

The animations were good but the last few minutes with you know what was OUTSTANDING.

Oh and this game was depressing AF, from the atmosphere to the music to the FREAKING LONG HAIRED BABIES WTF!!!

My wild theory is that the whole game takes place underground (or INSIDE *wink*). After the underwater area you come to a forest area that looks much like beginning of the game except is clearly a terrarium. So my guess is that there is nuclear war or seismic shifting in the earth or something and they are researching how to shield themselves from such blasts. That might explain the human drones and experiments, as the possibly limited amounts of humans in the facility need to create/control a large and durable labor force to get anything done.

-griffy-

Banned
Just finished this last night late when I should have been sleeping but turned into a giant tumor monster and couldn't stop.

Maybe it's just this election season slowly making me crazy, but I couldn't help but think of Trump and his followers when looking at the journey the kid goes on. Like, there's almost no context at the start, right? You're just getting out of this place, ostensibly for good reasons, avoiding the "normal" population and routine, at times gaining blindly loyal, completely disposable followers used for personal gain, propelling yourself farther, before ultimately being consumed by them into an unrecognizable blob of vague humanity, a barely controllable force of nature, after which accomplishing your initial goal isn't a win so much as a tragic ending.

Like, I'm not saying that's what the game is about, but that's the kind of stuff the game made me think about.

That's what it wants you to think in the beginning

But you were never getting out or trying to escape. You were always breaking in. It probably wasn't even voluntary; the game's blurb describes it as "...a boy finds himself drawn into the center of a dark project"

So are there any other puzzle platformers out there with this kind of environmental gameplay? I was a huge fan of Limbo and Braid as well, but I don't really play much these days so I'm out of the loop.

I have a PS3, and PS4. My PC is pretty outdated. Any recommendations?

Badosh

We just finished this for the channel and holy crap, that ending.

I'm a bit confused, but I think I gotta experience it alone to really get a feel for the game.

I played this through in one sitting last night— something i'd absolutely recommend— and that ending, whoa. The animation alone was incredible.

My thought while playing was that it was some sort of commentary on mob mentality/online toxicity and how it's created. At first a harmless stance, but grows into something unstoppable regardless of the pain it causes. Just as harmful are the people around you trying to prevent it and sometimes become the tools that create it. If there was more empathy from the boy or organization things could have been different. Though, this would mean that the organization could be doing something understandable, but we never see a glimpse of that.

The theory that seems likely is that you are the blob, and you control

I loved that room. I wondered why it was so quiet, then I realised I was observing from behind a window, like the one opposite.
Hm, I wonder if you are the blob throughout the game and you're viewing the kid through cameras.

That's what it wants you to think in the beginning

But you were never getting out or trying to escape. You were always breaking in. It probably wasn't even voluntary; the game's blurb describes it as "...a boy finds himself drawn into the center of a dark project"
The True Ending supports this hypothesis.

So I just played it in one sitting and it was cool, kinda spooky but the ending didn't do anything to me. I was just like "uh? That's it?", kinda disappointed given all the praise it got.

Of course, before commenting here, I searched online for the meaning of the game and its ending(s), I've read a lot of theories, some are meta and I like that, but the game itself isn't that good. I'm not saying it's not good, just not "that" good.

In the end, it was an interesting experience.

hemo memo

Gold Member
The blob controlling the boy theory doesn't make sense to me. Why would the blob controlling the boy shut down the machine in the secret ending if it wants to escape? Also that underwater girl scene.. what was that!! how the boy was able to breath under water suddenly?

The blob controlling the boy theory doesn't make sense to me. Why would the blob controlling the boy shut down the machine in the secret ending if it wants to escape? Also that underwater girl scene.. what was that!! how the boy was able to breath under water suddenly?
Not a girl. It's a another clone/experiment of you but with long hair.

Not a girl. It's a another clone/experiment of you but with long hair.
Yup, this isn't the first time they've done this. And as seen before being absorbed, you look just like the naked individuals when you get pulled into the chamber. Which implies the long hair was from them being down there so long.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Missed this earlier and recently finished this brilliant little gem. What brilliant execution on almost everything, especially the ending god daaaamn. Went in completely blind and so glad I did. The latter half was just wow. Powerful little game that will most definitely be remembered.

Yes but why would the long hair experment chase you if both are controlled by the blob?
It was trying to help and inject you with the cable so you can survive underwater. The game just played with your expectations to make it seem like it was dangerous and monstrous, so it could subvert them later during that sequence

hemo memo

Gold Member
It was trying to help and inject you with the cable so you can survive underwater. The game just played with your expectations to make it seem like it was dangerous and monstrous, so it could subvert them later during that sequence

But still why not just give the ability to the boy the first time you see the underwater creature if the blob simply control both. The boy look scared, shows emotions.

But still why not just give the ability to the boy the first time you see the underwater creature if the blob simply control both. The boy look scared, shows emotions.
Gameplay. The devs cut the sequence short to build tension and build expectations in your head so they could subvert them later.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Right. What was your first thought when the final underwater grab happens? "Okay, so, next time, I need to make that jump...oh...wait, it didn't end yet...".
I really dig their design choices and execution with this game and moments like these specially. Very well done.

I really dig their design choices and execution with this game and moments like these specially. Very well done.
Naughty Dog used gameplay and expectations in a similarly interesting way as well in The Last of Us.
The whole game, you're conditioned to press triangle to place the ladder or boost Ellie up, and Ellie comes and climbs up. And then winter happens. The next chapter, you go to do the boost for the ladder, press triangle...and Ellie doesn't come. She's hanging back, distant. Clearly those events really affected her

SOMA perhaps did it the most masterfully IMO

R0nn

Right. What was your first thought when the final underwater grab happens? "Okay, so, next time, I need to make that jump...oh...wait, it didn't end yet...".

Honestly, I already sort of figured/guessed that the only way to continue from there was by going down in the water and I was sort of expecting there to be a scripted sequence to get to the next part of the game. Which in fact happened, so it wasn't as impactful for me.

I just finished my playthroughs earlier today...the fuck...

There are two points where I was absolutely engrossed in the journey, and I ended up speechless staring at my screen.

- Being pulled underwater by the creepy kid, and realizing that it wasn't a death/back to checkpoint sequence. There was a point to where I thought it was glitched, and was about to load my game. Once I figured out what was going on, I realized I had no idea of what was going on. One of the highlights for the year personally.

- The ending with the extended fade and credit roll. My thoughts varied from figuring out what just happened and asking myself if it was over. There was a lot of time to quickly summarize all of the events from my prior point until then, and I feel like it was very effective in that regard.

The sound design was AMAZING. The animations are very well done, and the areas/graphics did a great job of pulling me into the world. So glad I was able to go into this blind besides the trailer that was released.

These were exactly my reactions too. Great moments. Amazing game...

But since I'm getting to this thread much later than most people and I don't have time to read through 14+ pages... Can anyone summarize what the interpretation of the game's story/world/anything is?

Those last few moments of the game...Wow.

The only part of the game's story I really can't come to like is the fact that in the last couple minutes as the blob, there's plenty of evidence that points to the fact that it's entirely scripted. And I don't mean the game's scripted (well, it is), but the experiment itself is scripted what with the tests and audience members and the box baiting. At the same time though, you totally fuck up the dudes watching through the glass window and the suit that gets crushed by the blob. I could guess that the company operating on these experiments isn't completely transparent with how they think the blob run will play out to all of the employees, but in the end I can't help but think it isn't more than misplaced catharsis. Yeah! Fuck 'em up!... but also they seem to know exactly what is happening? It's still confusing to me and not in a thought-provoking way.

The only part of the game's story I really can't come to like is the fact that in the last couple minutes as the blob, there's plenty of evidence that points to the fact that it's entirely scripted. And I don't mean the game's scripted (well, it is), but the experiment itself is scripted what with the tests and audience members and the box baiting. At the same time though, you totally fuck up the dudes watching through the glass window and the suit that gets crushed by the blob. I could guess that the company operating on these experiments isn't completely transparent with how they think the blob run will play out to all of the employees, but in the end I can't help but think it isn't more than misplaced catharsis. Yeah! Fuck 'em up!... but also they seem to know exactly what is happening? It's still confusing to me and not in a thought-provoking way.
I think the thing that stands out the most is that they have a diorama of the hill you end up at, but at the same time you kill the head honcho (though, that is avoidable).

Luminaire

I didn't play it but I watched every second of it twice on two different LPs. This is because of the whole...Xbox exclusive thing and people spoiling/hyping up the end quite a bit. By the second day it was out, people already spoiled the blob thing for me. Really interesting game and it seemed really well made. The only part I didn't like so much was the final scene.

The blob assimilation, the break out, the people helping you...all of it was really cool, but when you break out you just...die on the beach?

I'm sure it'll be on a few GOTY lists, top 5 for many people I bet.

spekkeh

Banned
I've been thinking about the story and meaning of this game for a bit and here's what I've come up with so far:

In terms of the story, the hivemind has been subject to an experiment by the institution that tests the awareness of its consciousness. Like the game, this experiment exists in a continuous cycle: the boy will always come to break the hivemind out, the hivemind will always reach the same spot at the edge of the land in the light before the water (which was even modeled out, showing how it was planned), and then everything will be reset overtime; a new boy will be grown, the building will be repaired, and the hivemind will be restored, maintaining its thought from before (same with the player). The orbs are what reveal the existence of the cycle, since the ones you have previously shut off remain that way. This cycle can only be broken once the hivemind discovers the existence of the cycle and figures out how to unplug the boy, exerting the only true level of control it has in its world at all: the ability to stop playing the game set up by the institution. As a side not since this doesn't really fit anywhere into that, but I think those swimming things were failed versions of the boy who did not make it to the hivemind who have been lost control of and have gone rampant as a result.

In terms of meaning, I think it can be related to Plato's Allegory of the Cave in a way. The game is the cave for the hivemind, and going through the cycle is its attempt to break out of its cave - the world it inhabits - to achieve freedom. This freedom that the hivemind seeks is the water that lays beyond the light that it always ends up in; reaching the water is equivalent to exiting the cave. But, as both the player and the hivemind discover, they cannot reach the water no matter how many times they try. So the revelation that the player and the hivemind have is that the cave is a construct that they are subject to, that their whole effort to find freedom is just a part of the game and is controlled to the point where it can never be achieved, similar to how we can truly never escape the cave. By breaking the cycle, this signifies that we are exerting the only true freedom we have, which is to accept that the game exists and stop playing it. So pretty much the hivemind/player can only find the freedom they seek through truth.

Sorry if this didn't make much sense, it's late and I want to go to bed, but felt like I should try to explain what I think while it's fresh in my mind.

Truth is not given, but found.
I think if there is a cycle and the ball keeps on rolling down the hill, and this is the same world as Limbo, then the metaphor is not of Plato's Cave, but Sisyphus. Sisyphus is a tale of someone getting retribution for hybris, who in hell is condemned to pushing a boulder up a hill forever.

In INSIDE, the scientists want to play god and create some new kind of life form, which then breaks out, destroys the building and rolls downhill, dying. They then have to start over again, and thus begins the cycle of torment again. A lot of the scientists die in the process because they are the ones who are being punished.

In addition, Limbo is the edge of hell, sometimes also called the portal to hell. Whereas Inside would denote, well, being inside hell, where Sisyphus resides.

spekkeh

Banned
So as an addendum that shows I'm either on the right track or, more likely, chasing a garden path, this site tells me that Sisyphus according to one legend got the punishment for divulging the location of a nymph that was kidnapped by Zeus:
http://www.mythencyclopedia.com/Sa-Sp/Sisyphus.html

The girl who kills you looks like a (water) nymph and was most certainly at one point kidnapped by the scientists. Maybe if it's your sister that you are looking for, then the boy divulged the location of the nymph by finding her and was in some way punished for it. Dying and crossing over to the underworld where he turns into Sisyphus' Boulder.

Corpsepyre

Banned
So as an addendum that shows I'm either on the right track or, more likely, chasing a garden path, this site tells me that Sisyphus according to one legend got the punishment for divulging the location of a nymph that was kidnapped by Zeus:
http://www.mythencyclopedia.com/Sa-Sp/Sisyphus.html

The girl who kills you looks like a (water) nymph and was most certainly at one point kidnapped by the scientists. Maybe if it's your sister that you are looking for, then the boy divulged the location of the nymph by finding her and was in some way punished for it. Dying and crossing over to the underworld where he turns into Sisyphus' Boulder.

I don't think that thing was kidnapped by the scientists at all, but was a version of yourself. A failed experiment. Atleast thats what I'm leaning on given the several videos I watched.

A lot of these theories work off of the blob dying at the end, but I don't think it did, I feel like it was just basking in the sunlight, because it was still moving even as the camera panned out.

SomTervo

Holy fuck

Just finished

A masterwork. Better than Limbo I think, although Limbo was a measure more elegant.

I feel like there is some sort of political message in this. What it is I'm not quite sure...

A lot of stuff about autonomy and the "masses" of society I think.

A lot of odd details though.

Were the zombified people dead or alive? Were they just corpses being harvested or actual people controlled?

I was sure the former but I've heard "walking bodies" used to describe themy.

Also the kids with the masked people... Why??

Do you guys think this is the same universe as Limbo? Perhaps set before Limbo - as in Limbo the world looked to have collapsed (and there was sign of gravity manipulation).

The worms were totally Limbo too.

Holy fuck

Just finished

A masterwork. Better than Limbo I think, although Limbo was a measure more elegant.

A lot of stuff about autonomy and the "masses" of society I think.

A lot of odd details though.

Were the zombified people dead or alive? Were they just corpses being harvested or actual people controlled?

I was sure the former but I've heard "walking bodies" used to describe themy.

Also the kids with the masked people... Why??

The worms were totally Limbo too.
The shockwaves were also reminiscent of the rain storm machine in Limbo.
So potential Limbo > Inside connections

Rain Maker > Shockwaves
NMZ13OV.gif

Brain Leech > Mind control (white worm and similar gaits while controlled)
M7TQL7z.gif

Gravity switches > Suspended water
I92FWKK.gif

Seeing the boy die in horrendous ways made my stomach turn... But that ending. I embraced my inner Tetsuo!

Kh4ivY.gif

Edit: There's no way that I'm the only one making this connection? The first thing to pop into my mind was Akira!

SomTervo

The shockwaves were also reminiscent of the rain storm machine in Limbo.

Yes - the brain leech stuff was straight out of Limbo. I spent half of Inside paranoid there'd be a leech hanging from the roof. The instant we saw the leech hanging out of that prostrate pig I actually said to my partner 'Watch the fuck out for that pig'.

The gravity stuff was similar, too. Interesting that it only affected water. The puzzles were definitely easier, or at least better balanced, than Limbo's I thought. Limbo really had a couple of painful head scratchers. Inside's Shockwave Room timing puzzle was heinous, though.

I wonder what the meaning behind the shockwaves was.

I also wonder if the 'opening in a forest' thing is going to be one of Playdead's tropes going forward. I wonder what they'll make next. I can really imagine VR being something they'd try out.

Seeing the boy die in horrendous ways made my stomach turn... But that ending. I embraced my inner Tetsuo!

Kh4ivY.gif

Edit: There's no way that I'm the only one making this connection? The first thing to pop into my mind was Akira!

100%!

The second we took control of the blob I said "Hey, this is just like Akira" and my partner, who hasn't seen the movie, was like "What?" and I quickly hushed down so as not to spoil it.

Very similar. It also reminded me a lot of Society, the '80s video nasty horror flick, where there's a conspiracy 'club' who all body-merge together, and try to keep 'plebs' out. The imagery of the blob was really similar.

Can I just say the blob was astoundingly well animated and designed and controlled perfectly. A real achievement.

spekkeh

Banned
I don't think that thing was kidnapped by the scientists at all, but was a version of yourself. A failed experiment. Atleast thats what I'm leaning on given the several videos I watched.

Yeah in the beginning of the thread people seem convinced it was your sister from Limbo, so I was just kind of going with that. But even if it isn't, she does look like a nymph/naiad you do cheat death and then in the end the boulder does roll down the hill. It's probably farfetched, but the parallels are there.

SomTervo

I've been thinking about the story and meaning of this game for a bit and here's what I've come up with so far:

In terms of the story, the hivemind has been subject to an experiment by the institution that tests the awareness of its consciousness. Like the game, this experiment exists in a continuous cycle: the boy will always come to break the hivemind out, the hivemind will always reach the same spot at the edge of the land in the light before the water (which was even modeled out, showing how it was planned), and then everything will be reset overtime; a new boy will be grown, the building will be repaired, and the hivemind will be restored, maintaining its thought from before (same with the player). The orbs are what reveal the existence of the cycle, since the ones you have previously shut off remain that way. This cycle can only be broken once the hivemind discovers the existence of the cycle and figures out how to unplug the boy, exerting the only true level of control it has in its world at all: the ability to stop playing the game set up by the institution. As a side not since this doesn't really fit anywhere into that, but I think those swimming things were failed versions of the boy who did not make it to the hivemind who have been lost control of and have gone rampant as a result.

In terms of meaning, I think it can be related to Plato's Allegory of the Cave in a way. The game is the cave for the hivemind, and going through the cycle is its attempt to break out of its cave - the world it inhabits - to achieve freedom. This freedom that the hivemind seeks is the water that lays beyond the light that it always ends up in; reaching the water is equivalent to exiting the cave. But, as both the player and the hivemind discover, they cannot reach the water no matter how many times they try. So the revelation that the player and the hivemind have is that the cave is a construct that they are subject to, that their whole effort to find freedom is just a part of the game and is controlled to the point where it can never be achieved, similar to how we can truly never escape the cave. By breaking the cycle, this signifies that we are exerting the only true freedom we have, which is to accept that the game exists and stop playing it. So pretty much the hivemind/player can only find the freedom they seek through truth.

Sorry if this didn't make much sense, it's late and I want to go to bed, but felt like I should try to explain what I think while it's fresh in my mind.

Truth is not given, but found.

Brilliant.

I think what they were doing was to find a way to make the human race capable of continuing to live in that world that was colapsing.

I had a vibe of that, too, albeit with a different outcome.

It seemed like, possibly, the blob was another evolutionary step. A human hivemind. A big, self-sustaining, multi-intelligent creature. The scientists wanted to perfect it rather than control it or contain it. It wasn't finished yet.

But I don't see how the boy fits into this narrative. Unless somehow the hivemind, the blob itself, is controlling the boy, trying to bring him back to it?

I think Gnome Scat's analysis is the best one.

When you break through the first room as a blob I swear you hear a baby crying, implying a woman has just given birth. What if that lends credence to the fact this was all planned and perhaps the birthed baby is you in a continues testing loop.

Jesus!

On the other hand, why would the scientists include the destruction of their office in the plan? Maybe they planned the puzzles as tasks for the blob to go through but didn't anticipate the destruction?

I'd like to see more screens of the underwater part, once you get grabbed by the water-boy and can breathe underwater.

I've got a feeling that the underwater part is actually a mirror of the lab that we end up in - that after each 'experiment' they flood the whole lab.

Maybe I am just really fatigued after studying cinema and working in the industry and seeing these edgy script writers and storytellers come up with these kind of "cool" stories.

I felt like this for a long time after finishing my degree. Like, years. I couldn't really enjoy anything, mainly due to overanalysing everything. My particular field was prose fiction. I honestly didn't read a book for at least a year after finishing my degree. I'd get enough out of one page, and I'd pick things apart too much. It took me about 10 months to read Slaughterhouse Five (a 130-page novel).

A point comes where you just say "fuck it" and stop caring whether people are trying to be edgy or not and just take each work as it comes, good or bad, warts and all. I've found that I've begun enjoying everything I consume since I started giving less fucks, pretty much.

This also reframes the whole drone slavery in something more ambiguous and brings back the possibility of a catastrophe: the worm infection could've been an accident, and people figured out how to capture and de-worm zombies, but found out you couldn't bring the victims back to humanity. Rather than just kill them they discovered their susceptibility to mind control and "recycled" them into a cheap workforce and continued to experiment on them to understand the phenomenon (the ethics of this are still highly debatable). Rather than oppression they're trying to do the best they can with the resources they have (possibly using the drones because there aren't that many humans left).

This seems like a solid theory.

Maybe after Limbo-boy ruins Limbo-world the worms seep out into IRL? :p

- Security camera watching the procession

A really horrible thing - see the procession? At one point a tall woman goes by - and she is clearly pregnant. Has a bump, and is ambling along awkwardly on long legs.

Really disturbed me and I didn't mention it to my girlfriend because it would harrow her, haha.

Top Bottom