• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playdead's INSIDE spoiler thread.

I've got a feeling that the underwater part is actually a mirror of the lab that we end up in - that after each 'experiment' they flood the whole lab.
I saw a video on YouTube that actually pointed this out. Not only is the flooded area after you are dragged down almost an exact match to the final research center - down to the glass cubicles and the folding chairs - that flooded area is labeled 3. The research area in the finale is labeled 4.

SomTervo

Another mammoth post, sorry folks, but I am rolling on the wave of interactive-narrative bliss

Yes, I instantly thought of No Country when you're crossing the stream and the dog jumps in after you. I wonder if it was an intentional homage

Shit, yeah, I thought this too.

In fact I'd go so far as to say the scientists are analogous to the developers.

Whoa

Yeah I didn't think it was amazing. It wasn't garbage, but I was expecting something more after all the praise.

The twist at the end was more humorous than haunting for me. It was just goofy.

There is definitely a strong comical aspect to it. The way it lumbers, the slapping of the limbs on the floor. It's grotesque comedy; you chuckle one moment then hear its weird groans and cries and the snickering gives way to a sort of ominous distress, then back to laughter as it squeezes through an object.

It's not just one thing or the other. That goes for the whole game.

I formed a theory early on when you're controlling someone and put them in a mind control thing, and then they can control another one through you, that maybe we were under something's control all along.

On-point, and remember there's like really poignant music the instant you control-cept the second 'drone' on the carriage section. The music suggests it's an important point - that you can control people within controlling people. Just like a videogame...

As much as I don't want it to be, Inside seems more and more to be a game about games. The whole empowerment section at the end is so "gamey," so satisfying after feeling vulnerable and hunted. You get your big power up, smash through a bunch of stuff, solve a few easy puzzles (with a little help!), then smash your way to freedom. But you don't quite get there. It's an illusion. You're not powerful or big or smart. The only way to win is to unplug the damn thing and go outside.

That.

Anyone else notice the silhouette of a creature during the rebirth section? Once you hit the bottom of the water, there is an odd looking and still slightly mobile creature just in front of the camera. One of those mind control machines still connects to it. It looks to resemble the same blob you control at the end, only that it is unfinished. Perhaps disregarded as a failed experiment and left at the bottom of the old facility with the other tried experiments? I think they've tried to create the blob many times. This is one of those failed attempts.

Ties to the screenshots of the other failed attempts.

So there's

Creature #1: On a hospital trolley bed in the background, dead
Creature #2: On a hospital trolley bed in the foreground, dead
Creature #3: Floating underwater in the abandoned facility - also with the 'Laboratory 3' or w/e written down there
Creature #4: Us, in 'Laboratory 4', escaping into the possibly fake sunset

First off, I enjoyed the game. I think it looks great and the atmosphere is great and all, but why are you all trying to figure out the meaning after:

He isn't interested in telling a story. He wants to bamboozle us. "Fewer clues, more obfuscation!"
Fuck that.
Why not try to tell a good story? Isn't that the point of writing?
So whenever I felt there was something of interest in INSIDE, rather than trying to figure out what it means, just imagine he is chuckling over some obscure piece of bullshit he put in just to confuse you.

I am pretty sure the process went like this:
"How shall we end it?"
"Just have it at the beach there!"
"Why?"
"It'll keep them guessing!"
"But why? What does it mean?"
"Nothing, but it'll keep them guessing haha"

Life's too short for that shit.

Good luck with your theories but even the creator himself isn't interested in giving you a coherent story, so why even try?

A lot of the time it's about creating depth. You want to keep the person who experienced your work thinking. In the stories I make I try to provide a conclusion to the plot, but loads of threads or ideas which are only touched upon, so that people can discuss it for a long time after. It's possible to go really hard with this idea, like Playdead did. To these artists, if the player stops thinking and goes 'That's the answer!' then the satisfaction is short lived and the experience will be forgotten quickly. What's worse, it's not very 'real' (i.e. there are very few 'real answers' in real life/the human experience) and it's not going to challenge your audience. It's not going to keep them talking about it for years to come.

That said, your definition of 'story' sounds pretty one-dimensional. It sounds a lot like you're A) defining 'story' as 'plot' - a series of cause-effect events leading you to an ending (which isn't 'story') and B) defining 'story' as Hollywood regurgitated it: investment in the first act, development in the second, and emotional payoff in the third.

Stories don't work like that. Stories don't have to obey any rules. They don't owe you any payoff in the third act.

I'm thinking this game might have something to do with the human experimentation carried out by the Japanese in WWII, in particular Unit 731.

Why did I read this

It seemed like, possibly, the blob was another evolutionary step. A human hivemind. A big, self-sustaining, multi-intelligent creature. The scientists wanted to perfect it rather than control it or contain it. It wasn't finished yet.

But I don't see how the boy fits into this narrative. Unless somehow the hivemind, the blob itself, is controlling the boy, trying to bring him back to it?

Unless the hurdles in the boys path was teaching it to be stronger mentally. The puzzles get harder, the amount of drones you can control increases until you get to (my personal fave) controlling the 19 drones. Granted they didn't have free will themselves but to control the actions of so many drones at the same time may have been what was taxing and more of a type of mental exercise.

Unless the hurdles in the boys path was teaching it to be stronger mentally. The puzzles get harder, the amount of drones you can control increases until you get to (my personal fave) controlling the 19 drones. Granted they didn't have free will themselves but to control the actions of so many drones at the same time may have been what was taxing and more of a type of mental exercise.
Yeah, all the challenges and puzzles you encounter in hindsight seem like training to prepare the boy for entering and controlling the blob

Also I noticed that your "mental magnetism" grows stronger throughout the game. From the early hints with the chicks, to the helmet, to leading the 19 drones, to post-resurrection where the drone huddle around almost suffocatingly tight and even the disembodied limbs are trying to follow

YO4dEDN.jpg

Turkoop

Banned
Well, finished Inside. I dont know what to think/say. It was really brilliant, whole game was almost perfectly designed and the end was great and fucking weird. I dunno what to think, there are so many theories and I guess the dev's wanted, that we should discuss the game and show our theories.

Another mammoth post, sorry folks, but I am rolling on the wave of interactive-narrative bliss

Shit, yeah, I thought this too.

Whoa

There is definitely a strong comical aspect to it. The way it lumbers, the slapping of the limbs on the floor. It's grotesque comedy; you chuckle one moment then hear its weird groans and cries and the snickering gives way to a sort of ominous distress, then back to laughter as it squeezes through an object.

It's not just one thing or the other. That goes for the whole game.

On-point, and remember there's like really poignant music the instant you control-cept the second 'drone' on the carriage section. The music suggests it's an important point - that you can control people within controlling people. Just like a videogame...

That.

Ties to the screenshots of the other failed attempts.

So there's

Creature #1: On a hospital trolley bed in the background, dead
Creature #2: On a hospital trolley bed in the foreground, dead
Creature #3: Floating underwater in the abandoned facility - also with the 'Laboratory 3' or w/e written down there
Creature #4: Us, in 'Laboratory 4', escaping into the possibly fake sunset

A lot of the time it's about creating depth. You want to keep the person who experienced your work thinking. In the stories I make I try to provide a conclusion to the plot, but loads of threads or ideas which are only touched upon, so that people can discuss it for a long time after. It's possible to go really hard with this idea, like Playdead did. To these artists, if the player stops thinking and goes 'That's the answer!' then the satisfaction is short lived and the experience will be forgotten quickly. What's worse, it's not very 'real' (i.e. there are very few 'real answers' in real life/the human experience) and it's not going to challenge your audience. It's not going to keep them talking about it for years to come.

That said, your definition of 'story' sounds pretty one-dimensional. It sounds a lot like you're A) defining 'story' as 'plot' - a series of cause-effect events leading you to an ending (which isn't 'story') and B) defining 'story' as Hollywood regurgitated it: investment in the first act, development in the second, and emotional payoff in the third.

Stories don't work like that. Stories don't have to obey any rules. They don't owe you any payoff in the third act.

Why did I read this

Yeah, all the challenges and puzzles you encounter in hindsight seem like training to prepare the boy for entering and controlling the blob

Also I noticed that your "mental magnetism" grows stronger throughout the game. From the early hints with the chicks, to the helmet, to leading the 19 drones, to post-resurrection where the drone huddle around almost suffocatingly tight and even the disembodied limbs are trying to follow

You know, I didn't like this game as much as most of you seemed to, but I really like reading these theories. I didn't notice any of these details as I don't have a lot of time for gaming any more so I tend to rush through.

Oneself

Finished Inside last night. It's pretty much my GOTY... I think. Honestly, there's been too many great (indie) games out this year so it's hard to tell. But wow, I'm shocked and amazed. It made me speechless, surprised, desperate, frustrated...

Never before a game has made me feel claustrophobic, Inside did. I felt opressed and lost, chased back into this incredibly huge facility, part of a test with no possible escape. A bit like how I felt when I first played Portal and especially Portal 2.

As many have said, it was part of a plan. All you do in the game, thinking that you are escaping some evil army, is to! fullfil your duty and do what they wanted you to do. They were waiting for the (blob AI controlled) boy to break in, everyone was watching and got excited to see the thing finally try to escape.

Anyways, superb, powerful and beautifully disgusting game. A million times better than Limbo and one of the best games I've ever played. Also, best animations I've ever seen in a game, wow.

INTERNET

SERIOUS BUSINESS
I just finished, and honestly this just felt dumb and insulting. There were a few really good puzzley sequences, and I appreciate the attention to detail, but as a game and as a story it collapses in on itself. YEAH I GET IT - this empty corridor or swimming pool I'm traversing for 20 seconds is going to culminate in a dog, or a ringu mermaid, or a commentary on our beige monoculture. When I don't Dragon's Lair it correctly to your arbitrary success state, at the very least give me a Trials style instant restart. Where am I going? Why am I going there? Why am I pulling this lever that leads to a completely unexplained sequence of events that leads to another dumb couple of levers? Gotta pull the levers in a totalitarian grayscale linear bullshit world I guess. Exploration is punished, and the collectibles that I am in general unable to resist I don't give two shits about because nooks and crannies lead to death 75% of the time and your game just isn't that good. Heeeey man, did you guys catch this? If he's controlling a zombie, and that zombie is controlling another zombie, maybe we're all like zombies, and our dual shock is a zombie controller... I'm irrationally ripshit about this dumb game. 5/10, and I should have learned my lesson after Limbo.

Footos22

I just finished, and honestly this just felt dumb and insulting. There were a few really good puzzley sequences, and I appreciate the attention to detail, but as a game and as a story it collapses in on itself. YEAH I GET IT - this empty corridor or swimming pool I'm traversing for 20 seconds is going to culminate in a dog, or a ringu mermaid, or a commentary on our beige monoculture. When I don't Dragon's Lair it correctly to your arbitrary success state, at the very least give me a Trials style instant restart. Where am I going? Why am I going there? Why am I pulling this lever that leads to a completely unexplained sequence of events that leads to another dumb couple of levers? Gotta pull the levers in a totalitarian grayscale linear bullshit world I guess. Exploration is punished, and the collectibles that I am in general unable to resist I don't give two shits about because nooks and crannies lead to death 75% of the time and your game just isn't that good. Heeeey man, did you guys catch this? If he's controlling a zombie, and that zombie is controlling another zombie, maybe we're all like zombies, and our dual shock is a zombie controller... I'm irrationally ripshit about this dumb game. 5/10, and I should have learned my lesson after Limbo.

Serious business. Just finished it myself. Well, the bad ending. I loved it. Although there was far too many water sections. Didn't stop it being up there as my GOTY so far though. Polished to fuck.

INTERNET

SERIOUS BUSINESS
Good God Internet, did Playdead killed your dog bro?
I don't think they could kill my dog because they would telegraph his demise from miles away, then still expect him to walk through a long boring death tunnel for five hours when he could be playing fetch and eating kibble.

wouwie

I just finished my second playthrough right after my first. As a fan of cinematic platform games, i enjoyed it a lot but with a few reservations.

Presentation wise, it's fantastic: great visuals and color palette, camera angles and lighting, superb animation on the boy and great sound design. It creates a game with a lot of atmosphere, which is probably the game's biggest quality. And it does look very good overall, especially in the more varied locations in the first half of the game. It is also very polished.

Gameplay wise, it's enjoyable but it feels as if the gameplay was mostly there to support the experience. The puzzles were fun but rarely rewarding and quite easy. There was a lot of traversing "empty" rooms. I didn't mind though because it worked well for what they were aiming for.

The biggest downside for me and the thing that dragged it down a bit was the endpart. It didn't like it all that much and it felt out of place compared to the build up. I hoped for a more interesting ending. Navigating a blob with arms and legs sticking out felt oddly comical. I mean, did i really set a crate on fire in an oven and threw it over sprinklers so that the crate would not get wet, all while being a blob that makes funny noises? It took me out of the game and out of everything that came before that. Which is a shame because the rest was interesting.

In short: Inside is in many ways a special game but the ending was a dissapointment. Still highly recommended though... and most people seem to love the ending.

Crispy75

It's 01:28 and I should have stopped playing this 1 hour and 28 minutes ago but it was TOTALLY WORTH IT. Spectacular game. All the superlatives uttered in this thread? Those.

Seriously impressive animation tech. To be that procedural and yet be so fluid and responsive. Only Rain World comes anywhere near it AFAIK.

Oneself

Oh shit, that point about the underwater propeller moment where you see other bits of red shirts flying past, presumably from previous boys who didn't make it (or the clothes of the "mermaids") from previous attempts

I never made that connection
Whoa! Well, it confirms many things.

That's so obvious now. I can't believe I never made the connection that those were similar clothes, even on my second playthrough

They even have the clothes float up through the light as if to say, "Hey, notice this, it's important"

LOK3WBI.gif

Seeing as I'm a big fan of cinematic platformers, it's taken me a while to finally play this game, and it turned out to be very surprising experience to say the least.

There are certainly more than a few parallels to (or influences from) Another World for sure (one of the first dogs chasing you towards a ravine felt very much like the beast chase sequence in Another World) as well as Heart of Darkness (or the genre in general, a boy dying in many gruesome ways). It's a masterfully crafted game that takes the formula and perfects it for the modern age, especially in the movement and animation department. As was often the case with Another World, INSIDE has a lot of unique situations and cases where an action (and its respective animations) occurs only once in the game, so mechanically speaking, the game was designed in a way to always give emphasis to the visual/physical narrative, no matter how short or insignificant the situation or "story bit" is, which is always pretty crazy from a game design standpoint. Sure, there are some basic gameplay mechanics that are always repeating, the mind control helmets, simple walking and jumping, but there are so many variations even in these simple mechanics that it must've taken them a while to make and fine tune so it all feels seamless. Also a very consistent game visually and technically, with great IQ, smooth performance, a treat. The only real problem I have with it is that the game hasn't explored its gameplay mechanics to their full potential, and some of the sections felt a bit too stretched out, while they might've instead used that time to push the gameplay ideas of control stacking a bit further. But it's a tough balance to make, because some of it could've easily hurt the flow of the game to the other extreme.

I loved the shift in tone near the end, the body horror fever dream rush was extremely effective at creating a sense of dread, and I think it manages to pull off what they set it out to do. I was wide eyed the entire time and had strange spikes of disgust, awe and occasionally getting deeper sucked into the game that I forgot I was controlling this disturbing mass of flesh and then shifting back to the awe and disgust. Can't remember the last time a game manipulated my emotions in such a way, but it was really well done.

As for the meaning of it all, I haven't really read a lot of theories, skimmed this topic a bit, and should probably go through the game at least once more, to see things in a new light. I would like to say that I feel it strangely has a lot in common with The Witness, and I don't just mean in the "pretentious" confusing sort of way. The narrative is clearly heavy with metaphor, but it also is closely tied to depicting the "creative process" in general, or the process of game design, if you like to tie it more closely to the medium the product is made for. I've posted some ideas about The Witness when I beat it (spoilers of course), and I think there are some interesting similarities there.

INSIDE might have a more superficial narrative on the surface, something about an oppressive regime with the total disregard for humanity, bound for total control etc. but the clash between the very grounded looking forests, farms and cities and the later surreal environments, the thumping, gravity defying water and the fleshy blob and the scientists' reactions to it intentionally hurl the narrative into dream (nightmare) logic territory on one hand, and I think also show the underlying structure of the game's idea. I mean, it's left open ended intentionally, just like The Witness in that respect, so all we can do is give interpretations and maybe get closer to the inner workings of the creators' minds, to understand them better. Apologies for the wall of text.

Game developers create a game and give it into the hands of the player, the participant. Some games are made for simple fun, others to encourage competition, or tell a story etc. The point of this particular game is to let the player experience the process of creating the game itself, or rather the creative process that led to its creation, through the lens of gameplay mechanics and metaphors. However, it might also go as far as to imply that through that creative process, it's really the idea that controls the creator, so the creative person really has no choice but to follow where their inspiration is taking them.

So in this case, the boy is the raw, wild, uncontrolled idea, the spark of inspiration, drawn towards its natural goal. The reason it's young is probably to better depict its fresh, novel aspect of itself (and to throw off the player). It's hunted down by reason, the need to make sense of it, control it, put it in a box and give it shape, perhaps even kill it because the mechanisms of rational thought see it as useless and obsolete (the guards, dogs, machines).

It manages to evade these attacks and survives, and arrives at a fertile ground (the farm) where it starts to experiment and slowly reveal its basic nature, its concept (control). The original idea sees its brethren and bends them to its will. Lesser bits of concepts and ideas are drawn to its magnetic nature (chicks, fish), and influences from other sources and experiences start to endanger the "originality" of the initial idea (the parasite worms), but the idea survives, endures and slowly changes.

The idea is slowly changing, it's evolving through the "experiences" of the thought process, and it starts to explore other venues, broadens its horizons (the city). Hundreds of ideas and concepts are hoarded and funneled through the machine like hordes of zombies walking through the streets while the agents of reason guide them to their predetermined, expected function. So there lies the first great danger - should the idea run wild and free, or should it be molded into what the industrial machine is expecting of it. The idea runs and hides, but at one point is even caught into the same factory assembly line (walking in line section, the creative person struggling between making pure art or a commercial product, or the devs contemplating on shaping the game into more traditional, industry standard molds or into a thing of its own), but is discovered as the deviant that it is and is chased away (the idea never wanted to be in the mold anyway).

Still, the pursuit is deadly and the idea is forced to dive into the depths of the creative process, of imagination, to find its true path (the submarine area). This is the collective ocean of creative thought, deep, dangerous, but ultimately necessary to dive into, if you wish to create something truly unique and of essence. Entire products and almost-finished ideas lie dead and flooded (facilities and buildings). On the way, you encounter the half-drowned, struggling corpses of past and future ideas (the mer-boys/girls), young but almost stillborn, drowned and buried before they even had a chance, or they maybe never deserved one, so they are bitter about and jealous of what the boy represents (they want to drown you as well).

The idea yet survives and emerges from the depths, perhaps more refined and formed (alas, such is its nature, wants to be wild and free but must be defined, and confined to become something, to exist), or perhaps as wild as it ever was. It reaches the shores of an abandoned mine (factory?) where it experiments with its basic concept by controlling and manipulating a much larger group of lesser concepts (the 20 zombies puzzle, conveniently placed besides a U (You) sign, as in - "this is what you are") and seeing where that goes. It firmly establishes its basic concept, and what follows after can already be heard beyond the gates.

As the idea is firmly established, what naturally follows is the grind (the bridge), the unavoidable practical work that comes with any creative process - you need to write, paint, code, compose or place the metal on the anvil and hit it with a hammer, over and over again until it bends to the will of the creator. The process is as dangerous as diving into the depths of creativity, maybe even more so, because now you're committing to it with every keystroke, every hammer strike, so every mistake is deadly and every move must be calculated and timed well in order to succeed.

The struggle ahead is made out of many of the basic concepts, everything contemplated is now being encountered and tried, and as there seems to be a goal in sight, the idea hits a dead end, and is dead in the water. But from that same, seemingly insurmountable obstacle, the idea draws new inspiration from past, discarded concepts and emerges stronger and more alive than ever (death and rebirth scene).

With its newly found clarity and strength, the idea enters the phase of experimentation and finalization, having the creative process down to a science (research facility). The other fresh ideas are neatly stored and kept in check, everything has its place and purpose to it, and in turn, that order gives greater freedom to experimentation and impossible designs (gravity, water), the creators feeling like they have a firm grasp on the universe itself, feeling that anything is possible.

But what do you do with all of this inspiration, knowledge and work? There's something forming in there, but it's without purpose. As I mentioned at the beginning, there's the creator and its creation, and it's never really clear who's controlling who. All of the controllers, the creators, rush to their creation, with a heavy smell of expectation in the air. The idea pushes through and sees its greater self for the first time, sees the formed, packaged idea in a box, barely contained in its complexity and absurdness (the blob). But this completed work sits there, slowly forming itself (it has "absorbed" other "boys" before, it's a "product made out of ideas"), sitting and waiting. It seems its creators have been at it for a long time now, waiting the moment to release it into the world. They've planned its release, made blueprints, models, thought about how it will all work out in the end, and it looks like it's finally time.

It's just that it never works out the way you plan it. The idea has a will of its own, and even with all the preparations and work that gone into everything, it still wiggles out of their grasp. The final piece of the puzzle is added, and this weird, "finished" thing wants to run loose. Shit starts to break, the whole operation is coming apart at the seams. They try to contain it, to guide its release in a less painful way, but you really can't, it's like giving birth to your baby, because it's a raw creative force that wants to impact everything and everyone. The casualties ramp up, things happen, people are hurt, yet they still try to restrain it and put it in a bottle, maybe delay its release, maybe it's not ready, maybe it never will be, or just selfishly keeping it for themselves. But again, they can't, so it breaks loose, starts tumbling down uncontrollably and is finally released into the wild.

There are probably some obvious holes or lapses in logic in this theory, and I don't think this theory is better than any other one, but it seems there's an aspect of the story that is more closely tied to this idea of the creative process. The world in the game might also represent the world out there in general, social influences trying to force you into a mold, killing your creativity, and the research center more specifically being the developers themselves, living sort of isolated within this world, but toying with forces they barely understand until the uncontrollable force of creativity forces them to finally commit, the whole thing just gets a bit out of hand and is "finished" as a product for release.

In any case, this turned out to be a wonderful game, probably not perfect, but worthy of praise IMO, and I hope other devs will take notice and take inspiration from this.

Kneefoil

I played through this game yesterday, and I enjoyed it a lot. However, there's one thing I'd like GAF's opinion on: the bodies that you control throughout the game, are they people or synthetically created humanoid creatures?

My first impressions were that they were people, but near the end of the game they have less human features. Some of them look like disfigured fleshy mannequins, and they were jacked up to some machines before you released them.

So my interpretation from the playthrough was that it's probably both, but the bodies could all be manmade too. That being said, when I talked to three of my classmates (we've played this game for a university course), I was apparently the only one who got that impression. Everyone else seemed to think they were all human, so I just got curious about what people outside of our circle of four thought when they played Inside.

I played through this game yesterday, and I enjoyed it a lot. However, there's one thing I'd like GAF's opinion on: the bodies that you control throughout the game, are they people or synthetically created humanoid creatures?

My first impressions were that they were people, but near the end of the game they have less human features. Some of them look like disfigured fleshy mannequins, and they were jacked up to some machines before you released them.

So my interpretation from the playthrough was that it's probably both, but the bodies could all be manmade too. That being said, when I talked to three of my classmates (we've played this game for a university course), I was apparently the only one who got that impression. Everyone else seemed to think they were all human, so I just got curious about what people outside of our circle of four thought when they played Inside.
I don't think they were "human" but they were organic. Grown like mushrooms out in those pods in the forest and then harvested, brought back on the trucks

Shai-Tan

Banned
I don't think I enjoyed the puzzles as much as Limbo but the setting and atmosphere of the game was a joy to look at even while the mind control puzzles broke the immersion a bit due to how goofy they were. I also felt that the open ending was better than Limbo which was too empty and postmodern

Kneefoil

I don't think they were "human" but they were organic. Grown like mushrooms out in those pods in the forest and then harvested, brought back on the trucks

Mhm, sounds sensible. One of my pals did bring up the pods in the forest when I brought up the idea of them not really being human. It had not been something I had thought of myself at the time, but I do now agree with the pods probably serving that purpose.

I think they're man made. Some of them seem to grow in pods connected to the trees. At one point I even mentioned I think they are "tree people".

Just finished this. Made everything else I've played this year seem a bit shit in comparison. Going to play it again for all the bits I missed first time.

UrbanRats

Just finished it also.
Very pretty and entertaining game, wouldnt recommend it at full price, but at 9€ i felt good about it.

The animations especially where just great.

Im a bit tired of the meta commentary on agency in gaming, but this one did it better than others (im looking at you, Bioshock).
People were telling me how mindblowing the endung's revelation was, so maybe i went in with the wrong expwctations, but still enjoyed the journey, and using mutated Tetsuo was great.

Fashionably late to the party but just 'finished' finished it. First time through was excellent - had me thinking of an allegory for a sperms journey to impregnate an egg or a white blood cell's task to fight off disease - but then I got to the blob escape and was just glad of the rest in sunlight mildly twitching in rest. I was in no state to think of allegories lol

Then I went and got the missing power nodes and entered the secret vault and well meta is gonna meta I guess. I liked it but I know I was controlling the little fella as I was controlling him with a PS4 controller and all that but hey as an easter egg type of thing with no Trophy attached it was a nice thing. I wanted to go and look at it again but doing it reset all the power nodes lol I'll let it sit with me then.

Overall very good game - that is two for two from them so lets hope its not another 4 year wait.

Prisoner

I just finished this and have been reading through this thread. What a weird fucking game!

Is Limbo as strange and... disturbing?

I just finished this and have been reading through this thread. What a weird fucking game!

Is Limbo as strange and... disturbing?
It had some unsettling moments and the boy's death seemed pretty messed up at the time

But now it pales in comparison to Inside

At one point you're hiding behind a crate and a forklift takes away a cage in the background while a man and a little child are watching. Seemed so weird, any meaning? Don't think I saw many other children or I must have missed them.

At one point you're hiding behind a crate and a forklift takes away a cage in the background while a man and a little child are watching. Seemed so weird, any meaning? Don't think I saw many other children or I must have missed them.
They're around. In the line-up when you need to blend in, there are kids and a woman holding a baby

And at the end, there are a bunch of kids watching like it's a school trip or something

Just playe it, not a fan at all. I can appreciate the art and sound direction but outside of that... there were maybe 3 cool puzzles in the entire game and the rest was just holding the stick to the right or doing trial and error unfun bullshit. Really disappointed after all of the hype, imo Firewatch blows it away.

Locking the twist behind some stupid thing that 99.8% of the playerbase would find out only by going on the internet was silly too.

clav

Um... wow.

Completely unexpected.

Somehow was grinning at such a morbid situation.

I wonder why there isn't a shockwave beam outside the facility.

plidex

I think this is the first indie game that has been a GOTY contender for me.

It's amazing in every way, but on a personal level it was crucial that the puzzles were really straightforward, and the ones that I had to think more about still weren't even close to being obtuse.

Finished it yesterday. Amazing..
It starts out as a reliving some kids nightmares, then it seems to become a social critisism on how to escape the enslavement of the working man or something like that. But then it evolves in something way more deeper. Is it about giving birth? Or just some experiment going in a loop? Cancer? Whatever it is, it makes you think and wonder and that is reason enough to play it.

The first time that long haired motherfucking child came chasing my ass (and grabbed me) i nearly lost it. I was high at that time and i was freaking out.

That's so obvious now. I can't believe I never made the connection that those were similar clothes, even on my second playthrough

They even have the clothes float up through the light as if to say, "Hey, notice this, it's important"

LOK3WBI.gif

Funny cuz that's one of the few details i noticed straight away, also in the huge vertical chamber immediately before this part there's a sunken submersiball at the very bottom iirc.

EDIT: Yep, just had a look.

SomTervo

LOK3WBI.gif

Man, this shit's crazy.

Inside really is an exercise in how much meaning you can encode into context. It's absolutely insane. A serious work of visual art.

Sounds like the game worked on you. You had no idea what you were doing but you kept going to the end. Just like the boy.

Kill3r7

I did another playthrough yesterday and the game is still excellent. On par with DOOM for GOTY. Really magical. I can't help but think of silent films when playing it.

SomTervo

Very interesting idea. Like the boy is being 'trained up' throughout to overcome crazy situations.

I wonder if it was just me or intentional design but I swear I saw that underwater thing appear for a second before it's really there in the next scene. Felt like water was a safe place untill then :p

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Still reading through this thread and all the interesting theories, but I've gotta make a quick post.

Bought this game yesterday afternoon (not really sure why I haven't picked it up sooner, as I loved Limbo), and proceeded to beat it in a single sitting (with a few short breaks). What a game! So captivating, I just couldn't stop playing. And just breathtaking in terms of atmosphere, visuals, animation, etc. I was particularly impressed with the animation of the blob, and like all of you I was just amazed at that whole section. Definitely didn't see that coming, lol. Reminded me of No-Face in Spirited Away after he turns into a gluttonous monster. Of course, there were tons of other incredible moments as well. The section with the shockwave blasts I found really powerful, thought there was a reveal about some invasion (by a foreign power or maybe aliens) coming up, but I guess it was some sort of test being carried out. And the death (?) scene, wow. And so much else. Like I said, what a game!

More games like this please. Actually, are there any similar ones anyone would recommend?

EDIT: If it's all just one big experiment or test (or a loop of them), as seems to be a popular theory, why do the people at the start of the game hunt you down and kill you? In some cases it's a bit unclear whether you're really killed or just captured, but when you're shot you definitely seem dead. Same with the dogs.

sonicmj1

Finished the game and went back and got the secret ending just a little while ago. It's interesting seeing what people have picked up on in here.

Immediately after getting the first ending, I thought about it for a while, and I had a reaction I haven't seen here yet (though it's not too dissimilar). I think that, like most people, I assumed that the boy was opposed to this dystopian society at first. What I felt when I got to the ending was that he had wanted to merge with the blob all along, just because the society seemed to think the blob was this great, awesome thing. Everybody's crowding around it, they try to help it out... What we think of as grotesque has become admired, because the society is so willing to view humans as objects.

The secret ending kind of changes that reading, because it shows that the boy was being controlled by whoever was in the bunker, just another drone. But even if the boy's motivations are different, the quasi-deification of the blob hivemind remains. Everyone wants to see it, and see what it can do. The human cost is meaningless compared to creating and controlling this superior being, especially because bodies and body parts are already treated as commodities.

There's definitely a decent amount to think about, and I think it's a much better package than Limbo in just about every way. I'm not a big fan of the meta reading of this game (though it's certainly there), if only because the whole, "Like, what if the game's really playing you, man?" message feels pretty played out at this point.

EDIT: If it's all just one big experiment or test (or a loop of them), as seems to be a popular theory, why do the people at the start of the game hunt you down and kill you? In some cases it's a bit unclear whether you're really killed or just captured, but when you're shot you definitely seem dead. Same with the dogs.
If you're just one of many, what does it matter to them if they kill you? That's an unsuccessful test, on to the next one

Vault 101

I just finished this yesterday.

Amazing game, but I don't know if I was controlling the lump or the lump was controlling me all along.

Going to go back and read through this whole thread.

So the game's true ending reveals that the game is a game, and the kid is controlled by the player?

That is absolutely terrible.

And on top of that, the puzzles were not as elaborate or satisfying as Limbo's.

Yeah, Inside is on my list of most disappointing games of this year.

Top Bottom