• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Players aren't happy with Niantic's latest Pokemon GO update

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

So the latest Pokemon GO update alters players avatars to make them more fat and dumpy. Women's avatars are less curvy. Asses have been flattened. Waists have disappeared into jelly. Skin tones changed.

Rather than adding these additional body types to the game (and keeping the old ones), players are now forced to look differently than they previously did. Most players are pissed, because this is a game that's sold cosmetic clothing for your avatar for years.

The Pokemon GO subreddit is full of examples

Some before and after examples (these are the same avatars pre- and post-update)

nKh7ytb.png

MqBkUiR.png
KW0271w.png

JRVjF2K.png

Holammer

we-did-it-we-saved-the-city.gif

Niantic must've know this was a trash fire, but they still put it out live. Can we expect this sort of "masculine androgyny" for upcoming mainline Pokemon games too?

Closer

People aren't happy that their avatar looks more like them? I don't think they're the type that hit the gym and stuff.

Last edited:

nikos

I don't really play the game but decided to see what the fuss was about and the customization options are actually good, especially considering the type of game this is.

If you don't like the default body types, there are sliders for weight, muscle, shoulders, chest and hips. Several options for other feautres as well. Even some of the clothing is decent.

This seems like your typical reddit/gamer complain-for-the-sake-of-complaining shitfest. They also seem to be using phones from 15 years ago.

LordCBH

I don't really play the game but decided to see what the fuss was about and the customization options are actually good, especially considering the type of game this is.

If you don't like the default body types, there are sliders for weight, muscle, shoulders, chest and hips. Several options for other feautres as well. Even some of the clothing is decent.

This seems like your typical reddit/gamer complain-for-the-sake-of-complaining shitfest. They also seem to be using phones from 15 years ago.

There is no combination in those sliders that will make your characters look like they used to look. This is a shit update designed to chase that sweet sweet Blackrock money.

I get that it could be difficult to have the customizable avatars perfectly match the old models assuming proper slider settings, but there's no reason they can't also offer the old models as an option. It's just poor form taking away options that people are already comfortable and familiar with.

So the latest Pokemon GO update alters players avatars to make them more fat and dumpy. Women's avatars are less curvy. Asses have been flattened. Waists have disappeared into jelly. Skin tones changed.

Rather than adding these additional body types to the game (and keeping the old ones), players are now forced to look differently than they previously did. Most players are pissed, because this is a game that's sold cosmetic clothing for your avatar for years.

The Pokemon GO subreddit is full of examples

Some before and after examples (these are the same avatars pre- and post-update)

nKh7ytb.png

MqBkUiR.png
KW0271w.png

JRVjF2K.png

Why are they removing boobs?
Boobs are life!
Idiots.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Did you not know? Women are not real, if you think you're a woman and have curves and "womanly look", you must probably have to be reeducated in order to accept that you don't exist, they're just making YOU a favor!

Sleepwalker

we-did-it-we-saved-the-city.gif

Niantic must've know this was a trash fire, but they still put it out live. Can we expect this sort of "masculine androgyny" for upcoming mainline Pokemon games too?

Kinda is there already.

The game looks like shit regardless, but there are a lot of manly and fat women npcs (im playing it rn) there's also some feminine ones, it's just a weird game. The ugly characters are mostly the overworld trainers.

Last edited:

AzekZero

Neo Member
If Niantic went with one body type to avoid gendered stuff they could've gone with the tried and true 'Body Type A' and 'Body Type B' paradigm.

Pretty sure they were penny pinching with this update.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Pokemon go is incredible, think about having Pokemon Go and it's tech in the 90s and early 2000s for example, still fun to play today until you have to pay for pokeballs.

Stitch

Gold Member
still fun to play today until you have to pay for pokeballs.
you can easily farm them at pokestops and gyms. I actually have way too many

thank god my character has a mask on so I don't need to see his new derpy face. but the game isn't that good anymore. was really good during covid were they made everything a bit easier, gave better rewards and stuff like that. now it's just "buy this, buy that", also "hey we just made your avatar look retarded".

Kikorin

Damn this is so funny. I played Pokémon GO for years and stopped some months ago, seems just in time to avoid this thing lol

I've it still installed tho, so I tried just because. First thing, I can't do it looks like me because I waste my life into gym and there's no option for a muscular body. You can toggle "muscles", but it just get fatter. Second thing, I'm bald, and I can't have a bald character.

I'm shacking right now! Niantic, remember that bald and muscular people exits! 😠

Last edited:
Top Bottom