• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PLAYERUNKNOWNS BATTLEGROUNDS Early Access Thread: This Is Battle Royale

JDB

Banned
I do hope they add some more weapons going forward. There's a good variety as it is but more couldn't hurt in each class. I've never seen a Tommy gun or SAW yet either
I think there's already a decent amount, but I do hope that there's going to be a continuous stream of new weapons and clothing. People shit on DayZ, but that game has tons of items that are constantly added.
At least it's already better than H1Z1 which somehow managed to add only one extra rifle after two (!) years of development to an already miserable offering of guns.

Tecnniqe

Banned
I think there's already a decent amount, but I do hope that there's going to be a continuous stream of new weapons and clothing. People shit on DayZ, but that game has tons of items that are constantly added.
At least it's already better than H1Z1 which somehow managed to add only one extra rifle after two (!) years of development to an already miserable offering of guns.

Well the reason for that is because
skins make money guns don't

Somnia

I've been having an absolute blast streaming this and playing with friends. I've had people constantly ask why I'd play this over H1Z1 as they're the "exact" same. The differences are huge to me and I much prefer the gameplay nature and gunplay in this game.

Can't wait to see how much they add over time.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Steam Market for Deluxe items right now:
  • PLAYERUNKNOWN'S Trenchcoat $53.98
  • PLAYERUNKNOWN's Bandana $31.30
  • Red Hi-top Trainers $10.49
  • Grey Shirt $3.75
  • Jeans (Tan) $3.72

Total: $103.24
I've been having an absolute blast streaming this and playing with friends. I've had people constantly ask why I'd play this over H1Z1 as they're the "exact" same. The differences are huge to me and I much prefer the gameplay nature and gunplay in this game.

Can't wait to see how much they add over time.
Yeah its nothing alike outside the concept of the game.
It's really sad what direction they went with that game. KotK is just a slotmachine with a game built around it.
SOE money money grab grab

Tecnniqe

Banned
He was still rank one as of an hour ago or so when I stopped watching. VissGames was still close behind, fun watching these two compete for the top spot.

Yeah will be fun to see if there will be some duo tourneys and what happens when they randomly meet in the same game. However wins that round will skyrocket.

Gxgear

God, been watching summit play and it looks so fun, just can't bear myself to pull the trigger on a MP game day 1 with a backlog.

Tecnniqe

Banned
God, been watching summit play and it looks so fun, just can't bear myself to pull the trigger on a MP game day 1 with a backlog.

Even with a backlog its a good game. You can do a round or two and still have time
until you're one of us
:)

this game is a blasssssssst to play with a friend like really really fun i found myself saying "one more round" multiple times lol

i feel a triple A dev is going to want to get into this action now, i feel like Ghost recon should of had a battleroyal mode but they lost out on that chance.

Kadin

It really is a fun game to watch. I've been watching Ceez play h1z1 for a while now and I'm glad to see another (very similar) game pull in more streamers. Still not sure which game I like more but I think BGs has a better future.

Tecnniqe

Banned
this game is a blasssssssst to play with a friend like really really fun i found myself saying "one more round" multiple times lol

i feel a triple A dev is going to want to get into this action now, i feel like Ghost recon should of had a battleroyal mode but they lost out on that chance.
Duos def the way to go. Had some great stuff in Discord too. Seeing people playing Duos and Squads together every day :)
Hey it's only $30! One of us...one of us!

dac74Al.gif

Jobbs

Banned

I keep thinking everyone's going nuts over these janky ass early access games because that's all there is -- Why doesn't Dice just put a mode like this in one of their battlefiend games as DLC? Or just make a new game around it? It'd be huge.

Why doesn't Dice just put a mode like this in one of their battlefiend games as DLC? Or just make a new game around it? It'd be huge.

At a guess PC players will go to this game because it will soon support modding, custom servers (iirc), and skins which I doubt any AAA studio would do. I think anything a AAA studio puts out would try to appeal to the masses. The devs working on this game are PC gamers and I think they know exactly what their audience wants out of this kind of game.

Lender

Standard fov on a 21:9 monitor is terrible. Even worse in first person mode. Luckilly I managed to change it in an ini file. Much much better now.

Calmine

Standard fov on a 21:9 monitor is terrible. Even worse in first person mode. Luckilly I managed to change it in an ini file. Much much better now.

Interesting, I've held off because I couldn't find info on 21:9. Good to know it supports 21:9, what ini did you change?

Summit getting a bit irritated at all the donations coming in (56k viewers atm), distracting him and such. Ups the notification to $50 and still people continue to donate. Now about to turn of subscriber notifications because getting too many. Crazy the money he's making to the point where he's becoming so annoyed... wow.

But to his defense, he's been going strong all day and it would be pretty hard always having to acknowledge that stuff around the clock.
I heard he makes about $60K per month. Fantastic for him, to just play video games while streaming. He's got nothin on THE DOC though!

SamuraiX-

PC Gamer - PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds earned over $11 million during its first weekend in Early Access

Good shit.

Based on the $30 sale price of the standard edition, and assuming there were only a few thousand deluxe editions available, that equates to 350,000-400,000 individual units sold already. Well deserved.

I have confidence in the crew at Bluehole that they'll continue adhering to the strict six month deadline and act as a pillar in further establishing a precedent for how Early Access should be done.

You know this is how I feel. I'm sure this has already been stated...but:

How is this 'different' than the dime a dozen games of this type. I really want to pick this up...but why?

JDB

Banned

How is this 'different' than the dime a dozen games of this type. I really want to pick this up...but why?
Are there even a dozen of this type of game? The Culling, H1Z1 KotK and Arma 2/3 Battle Royale come to mind. Am I missing others?

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Anyone not earning any BP for their games tonight? Played a handful of solo games and my BP total hasn't budged since I started tonight.

Kadin

It's gonna be better once they extend the last circle timers a bit for sure.
Is it working as they originally intended or did something get messed up? Does seem incredibly fast.

edit: this clip from summits current match... that bobblehead effect is real. haha

Hylian7

We had six people in our Discord, so we made to groups of 3 and then timed hitting the find match button to try to land in the same match. First time, we did not, but second time we did. We verified it by checking the server code at the bottom of the screen. We never met up with each other in the match, but we did see each other on the kill feed. We were in separate channels and would treat them at enemies if we saw them.

Vipu

Banned
We had six people in our Discord, so we made to groups of 3 and then timed hitting the find match button to try to land in the same match. First time, we did not, but second time we did. We verified it by checking the server code at the bottom of the screen. We never met up with each other in the match, but we did see each other on the kill feed. We were in separate channels and would treat them at enemies if we saw them.

So you teamed?
That is bannable, just so you know.

Every other game in the genre has the game mode as an afterthought, H1Z1 was initially a zombie survival game, Arma 2/3 are hardcore military sims, Battlegrounds is the first game explicitly designed for the game mode, and by the very dood who created the original mod in the first place.

Games only been in development for 8 months and it already blows the competition out of the water. The competition has been mostly stagnant too, despite being insanely popular, H1Z1 hasn't added any substantial content to the game, whereas Battlegrounds is going to open things up to the modding community eventually, which means a large influx of weapons/clothes/maps/vehicles are all but guaranteed. Game is already fantastic, but it's only going to get better.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Is it working as they originally intended or did something get messed up? Does seem incredibly fast.

edit: this clip from summits current match... that bobblehead effect is real. haha
It's working as intended right now but they are increasing it as the last few are too quick. So it both work as intended and not :p
Well just be warned if people report you or the algorithm catches you they will ban you for teaming.

You didn't this time but still, be careful.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Well isn't teamed more about how you approach each other in game? Since he stated that they would treat each other as enemies?

Oh, or did they solo and played as three?
Well teaming is either going solo or having multiple teams working together to reach the top before eventually fighting each other for the win.

It's bannable if you get caught and frowned upon.

But if you do fight each other as soon as you see each other like anyone else then there's not really a problem as they act as individual squads.

It's like playing duos and having 4 people run next to each other in an open field you know... it happens and it's so satisfying to report them after you kill them.

It's really easy for them to check it too and with the coming after match replays and all that it's easier to catch them for players alone too.

Vipu

Banned
Well isn't teamed more about how you approach each other in game? Since he stated that they would treat each other as enemies?

Oh, or did they solo and played as three?

Did you actually read that entire post?

"We had six people in our Discord, so we made to groups of 3 "

I guess he ment "two groups of 3", but yeah what I think he said there was 2 teams of 3 people, those 2 teams could kill each other but those 3 people inside the team didnt kill each other.

Not my type of game, but is definitely incredibly fun to watch on stream, ramp up in intensity is incredible. The creativity alot of the higher skill players show in drawing out other combatants once the arena shrinks down to an certain size is awesome.

Bollocks

got home from work, summit1g on, come back later at night, still on, go to sleep with stream open, wake up next morning, he's still on, go to work, he's still fucking on lol

he was on before I got home so he played for more than 12h, idk how you can play for that long.

e: but I have to say this is my goto routine now in the evening, instead of TV I turn on a stream lol

Tecnniqe

Banned
Not my type of game, but is definitely incredibly fun to watch on stream, ramp up in intensity is incredible. The creativity alot of the higher skill players show in drawing out other combatants once the arena shrinks down to an certain size is awesome.
Yeah there is a lot of ways and tactics to put in play.
got home from work, summit1g on, come back later at night, still on, go to sleep with stream open, wake up next morning, he's still on, go to work, he's still fucking on lol

he was on before I got home so he played for more than 12h, idk how you can play for that long.

e: but I have to say this is my goto routine now in the evening, instead of TV I turn on a stream lol
Yeah dudes thirst for topping the board even at 1 is insane. ~50k people too all the time.

Top Bottom