• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PLAYERUNKNOWNS BATTLEGROUNDS Early Access Thread: This Is Battle Royale

I love this game whenever I play with friends. But solo? Way too stressful! I nearly shit my pants everytime I get shot unexpectedly. Any tips on overcoming that stress-phase as a solo player? Just keep playing?

This is the first game I have ever played on PC and I suck at it. Every five seconds I'm looking at my keyboard to find my movement keys lol...... :(

Tecnniqe

Banned
Playerunknown pls

KGu0NMA.gif
You can see the bullet miss his head just above to the left and the dust where it hits behind.

The 8x and 15x scopes are off. Either recoil happens slightly before bullet exit or the crosshairs is incorrect for where it's aiming.

4x seems perfectly fine tho.
This is the first game I have ever played on PC and I suck at it. Every five seconds I'm looking at my keyboard to find my movement keys lol...... :(
Hah first game on PC? Hard mode :p

At least all other games will be trivial after this :)

Ragnaroz

Bought, played for an hour, refunded. Not my type of game, and while I could've gotten used to that, a horrible amount of bugs(mostly graphical) I've experienced with my rx 470 meant I won't be trying this again any time soon. Texture flickers, weird indoor shadows, black spots on water in the distance, pixelated hair, the list just goes on. If you have an AMD GPU, you might wanna give this one a wide berth, at least during early access.

Mendrox

Just rest your fingers on WASD and you will learn really fast. Don't move your fingers away from WASD which is your home point for your fingers.

Thumb on space, little finger on shift.

So you can easily move around like this:

D --> R (Reload)
A --> Q (Anything else ala peaking around a corner)
D --> E (For interactions and looting)

etc.

Vipu

Banned
Yeahhh netcode needs some work, but that's early access

I dont get what is wrong with that?
He gets shot just before he shoots and misses by tiny bit.

Edit: or he doesnt get hit? I guess not, then its just some random small spread or bug.

Just rest your fingers on WASD and you will learn really fast. Don't move your fingers away from WASD which is your home point for your fingers.

This, when you get used to resting your fingers on WASD all the time they are always there, even while browsing internet or doing ANYTHING.
Your fingers will be stuck on that spot forever after you get used to it.

Tecnniqe

Banned
I dont get what is wrong with that?
He gets shot just before he shoots and misses by tiny bit.

Edit: or he doesnt get hit? I guess not, then its just some random small spread or bug.

This, when you get used to resting your fingers on WASD all the time they are always there, even while browsing internet or doing ANYTHING.
Your fingers will be stuck on that spot forever after you get used to it.
To me it looks like recoil pushback slightly before the bullet exit he barrel causing a slight up and left drift making the shot miss.

Also no love for ESDF or RDFG on GAF 😁

Mendrox

To me it looks like recoil pushback slightly before the bullet exit he barrel causing a slight up and left drift making the shot miss.

Also no love for ESDF or RDFG on GAF 😁

haha ESDF and WASD have such a big history. For anyone interested just google ESDF and you will find the old movement which still tries to convince developers to change to ESDF again.

red731

PU on Discord:

And this guy pitman-87 - linky

eeTOm4x.png

New Early Access Update 1
cont in link

Players,
Today we outline the schedule for updates during Early Access and address some of the bigger issues some of you have faced so far. First though I want to highlight the work done by Jon Jablonsky (@dearsomeone). Jon has been making highlight reels for BATTLEGROUNDS all through our Closed Beta Test, and is now doing a weekly highlight reel each week during Early Access. We really enjoy his work, and you can check it out here:

Tecnniqe

Banned
Week 1 Patch Notes

This patch will be deployed for both clients and servers Thursday, March 30, 5PM KST/1AM PDT/8AM UTC

Out-game

• Added Oceanian & South American servers

Server Performance/Stability

• Resolved an issue where game server performance would degrade over time
  • Resolved several server crash issues

Client Stability

• Resolved several client crash issues

Client Optimization

• Added View Distance setting to graphics options

Gameplay

• Adjusted movement speed of endgame play zones
  • Adjusted weapon sound volume in the lobby

UI

• Removed crosshair while in a vehicle and not in the aiming state
  • Added ability to see item durability state directly in vicinity pane

Bug fixes

• Fixed a bug with the volume of crouch walking
  • Partially addressed performance degradation when opening inventory
  • Fixed a problem which would allow characters to go under the map in certain areas
  • Removed the depth of field effect when spectating in team-play modes.
  • Fixed a bug with the character creation system
  • Fixed an issue in the REVIVE system where a player would get stuck in the revive animation when the downed player died
  • Fixed a bug which would cause the PLAYERUNKNOWN hi-top trainers to render incorrectly
  • Fixed a bug where a character would receive damage from vehicles while behind trees/walls

Calmine

Looks good. Hopefully the server improvements will reduce the rubberbanding. Also happy to see they're adding FOV settings.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Early Access Schedule
During Early Access, we plan to release updates in 3 phases.

• Daily updates, to improve server performance
  • Weekly updates, to push bug fixes & client performance and stability fixes
  • Monthly updates, to add new content and push balance passes for game-play

Known Issues
  • ​There is a rare bug which will cause some buildings not to render for players, allowing them to shoot others seemingly through the walls. We are tracking down the cause of this and will update you when it is fixed.

Sound
  • A lot of you have given feedback on our positional sounds, and today Marek will explain in a little more detail how sounds work in the game.

Gunshot Sound

• Each gunshot sound you hear in game has propagation delay based on distance between source and the listener
  • The propagation velocity is 340m/s so if a pistol is shot 340m away from the listener, he will see the muzzle flash first and hear the gunshot after 1 second
  • If gunshot is fired from indoor or there is no direct or approximate line of sight (obstructed), the reverb effect and LPF are applied to the sound effect

Bullet Crack/Whizz Effect

• Bullet crack effect (or bullet bow shockwave) is generated when a supersonic projectile passes in close proximity to the listener. The effect can be heard in a closest point on bullet trajectory line. Basically, the sound source is always perpendicular to the trajectory line, so if you hear a bullet crack just in your left headphone, you know that the shooter is either directly in front of you, or behind you
audio_1490788109941.jpg

Most of our weapons are supersonic. This means that you will hear the crack/whizz before you hear the actual gunshot
In a scenario where you see a shooter 1000m away, using AWM (>900m/s muzzle velocity) the events will occur in such order:

• You see the muzzle flash
  • After ~1 sec you hear the crack/whizz (assuming no air drag)
  • After ~3 sec you hear the gunshot

Bullets passing close to the player will generate a crack sound, the ones passing further away will only generate whizz effect
We blend between different sound samples based on distance (the maximum distance and attenuation characteristic is also affected by suppressor attachment). The close gunshot sounds louder and more clear than the distant one

In the current public build, all bullets generate a sound crack effect. We've changed this mechanic by adding a velocity check, so bullets travelling slower than speed of sound will not generate the crack effect but just whizz.

Leaderboards
  • Our leaderboard system has proven to be a very popular feature, and for the most part, we are happy with the current ranking system. However, the system will need balancing once we have sufficient data from a good sample size. The ELO system will need many balance passes before it is ready and to complete this we will be wiping the leaderboards on a monthly basis so to allow us to get a clean data-set from any changes we make.

OC/SA Servers
  • With tomorrow’s client update we will be bringing Oceania and South American servers online. These servers will feature their own regional leaderboards.

Ping Lock

• We are looking into implementing a ping lock for our servers. We have no ETA on when this will be added just yet as we have limited resources, and at the moment server performance and stability is our highest priority. We also don’t want to restrict the ability for friends in different regions to play together, but we understand how frustrating it can be playing against high ping players and take this very seriously. Please bear with us while we come up with the best way to add this new feature.

Client Optimization
We ask for your patience as we work to improve performance.

Key Objectives

• To reduce the overload on the CPU, and make sure that the GPU performs to its full capability

Expected Results

• Frame rates will be stable even when in high-density areas
  • Get higher frame rates across all graphic options

ETA: Apr. 14th (Expected to take roughly 5 weeks)

Further Performance Improvements
Step 1:Art assets optimization (Apr. 7th)

• Decrease the LOD vertex for buildings seen at long distances
  • Decrease the total amount of vertex by adjusting the LOD on terrains

ETA: Apr. 7th

• Improve the rendering performance of terrain and ocean shader (TBD)
  • Decrease the overload on the CPU by rearranging wall near buildings (TBD)
  • Decrease the usage rate of the video memory (TBD)

This is a game already filled with randomness where you could die from any direction at any time. No third person would only increase the randomness factor. Not sure I see the appeal.

I don't understand the appeal of being able to see things you're not really supposed to be able to see in a game where visibility is hugely important. In this sort of game to me 3rd person comes across as a cheap move that doesn't really have any justification for being there when it lets you do things like hide somewhere you can see other players perfectly fine but they can't see you at all until it's too late, with no risk to you at all.

Somnia

This is a game already filled with randomness where you could die from any direction at any time. No third person would only increase the randomness factor. Not sure I see the appeal.

It's not the server I'd play on every time, but I will want to play on a hardcore server like that at times.

I have a few buddies who are all ex-military who love to play realistically and tactically in games. They sound like the stage show of game demos at E3 when they play it's crazy lol and that will be the mode they will always play in.

Akronis

I don't understand the appeal of being able to see things you're not really supposed to be able to see in a game where visibility is hugely important. In this sort of game to me 3rd person comes across as a cheap move that doesn't really have any justification for being there when it lets you do things like hide somewhere you can see other players perfectly fine but they can't see you at all until it's too late, with no risk to you at all.

This was my biggest issue in ARMA MP and DayZ. Third Person ruins the game because of how easy it is to ambush using third person to peak.

DrBo42

You can see the bullet miss his head just above to the left and the dust where it hits behind.

The 8x and 15x scopes are off. Either recoil happens slightly before bullet exit or the crosshairs is incorrect for where it's aiming.

No way. Aims high for the most part.

I find that if u aim for the neck with the 4x and a slightly lower with the 8x, that's usually the sweet spot right now.

jediyoshi

I swear, every time I see a silver lv1 helmet, I think it's a lv3 helmet backwards.

Its nice seeing them post a road map so early. Now if they can stick with it.

Aside from price, their biggest barrier to entry versus H1Z1 are the system requirements. Optimization definitely in their best interest $$$ wise.

JDB

Banned
Is this game gonna feel natural to someone who's poured hundreds of hours into ArmA 2 and 3 multiplayer mods?
It's not quite as deliberate as Arma, but it's pretty close. The biggest difference is probably the amount of bullets it takes to kill someone. Depending on what armor they're wearing it can sometimes take up to 3 or 4 bullets (5.56 and/or 7.62) to the chest to incapacitate someone and another 3 or 4 to kill them. It promotes headshots way more than Arma.

Smokey

Can somebody explain why I was not able to use Bandages or First Aid Kits? My health was in the red and was below the 75% line. I kept trying to use the above, but it kept popping up with a menu asking me how many to drop :/

jediyoshi

Can somebody explain why I was not able to use Bandages or First Aid Kits? My health was in the red and was below the 75% line. I kept trying to use the above, but it kept popping up with a menu asking me how many to drop :/

I've run into this bug trying to use the contextual actions from the inventory as well. I think it went away on its own in the same round, but using the number hotkeys for healing items worked instead.

DrBo42

Is this game gonna feel natural to someone who's poured hundreds of hours into ArmA 2 and 3 multiplayer mods?

It's not quite as deliberate as Arma, but it's pretty close. The biggest difference is probably the amount of bullets it takes to kill someone. Depending on what armor they're wearing it can sometimes take up to 3 or 4 bullets (5.56 and/or 7.62) to the chest to incapacitate someone and another 3 or 4 to kill them. It promotes headshots way more than Arma.

Yeah I agree with JDB. If feels like Arma BR with far less jank in interiors but kinda similar delays in picking up or interacting with objects/doors. Player momentum is similar. Ripping the stance system from A3 would make this better. Jumping is currently in but planned to be removed for a vaulting system. Zeroing is in the game but doesn't feel correct half the time. Is probably due to the optics being fucked up where the intended center is not accurate or true. Personal testing with an acog and a kar98 had me aiming at chest level to get a head shot around 50m while a target 150 - 200m was actually center. It needs work.

Somnia

what graphic settings are you guys using? r9 290 here

I'm on a 980 with a i5 6600k, have most set to low except texture and shadows to medium (and aa on medium) I usually get 40-60 with dips like everyone. Always leave foliage to very low no matter what.

Jobbs

Banned
gtx 1060 and an i7 4790k. Running at medium with high texture quality and it runs pretty smooth, I'd say mostly close to 60 (aside from when it stutters and in certain dense areas).

Top Bottom