• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation 3 CFW & Homebrew Technical Help Thread -- morality arguments elsewhere

Zoe

Keyser Soze said:
It is only playable on a different (older) jailbreak method though (as far as I know... stuff is moving to quick to keep up)

No, there were threads on here talking about it before JB was even a possibility.

Phatcorns

Zoe said:
You can already use PS2 HDD loader with an external on the BC consoles.

As in you need the retail HD Loader disc to run it? Or do you mean that you can use it with a memory card exploit like on the PS2

xero273

Phatcorns said:
As in you need the retail HD Loader disc to run it? Or do you mean that you can use it with a memory card exploit like on the PS2

Open PS2 loader. It's in the link I provided. You need swap magic and last time I checked it only worked for external drives.

N.A

Banned
54-46! said:
So how well does some of the high end 2D games run on emulators, such as 3rd Strike on FBA?

All the games I've tried (including 3rd strike) have worked perfectly.

Inarius

Formerly 'GMUNYIFan'
badcrumble said:
It's 'turned off' because the Slim is incapable of PS2 emulation because it lacks the requisite hardware. If you turned it on, it'd be broken.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, I'm not really the most informed when it comes to ps3 stuff. Didn't Sony release the different versions of the fat systems like the 80GB one that came with software emulated ps2 backwards compatibility? Did they have some hardware in those systems that the current ps3 slims do not?

Zoe

GMUNYIFan said:
Sorry if this is a dumb question, I'm not really the most informed when it comes to ps3 stuff. Didn't Sony release the different versions of the fat systems like the 80GB one that came with software emulated ps2 backwards compatibility? Did they have some hardware in those systems that the current ps3 slims do not?

It still had partial hardware in there.

RJT

GMUNYIFan said:
They had a crucial PS2 chip in them.

badcrumble said:
Oh my goodness gracious me.

It's ridiculous how fast things are moving. I can't imagine where it'll be at the end of the month at this rate.

Things are only moving this fast because pretty much all these emulators/tools have been made month beforehand on older Jailbreaks, and they only needed to be signed to work on this one - that's a 5 minute process.

If this was the first ever jailbreak we would all be sitting around twiddling our thumbs

3rdman

Oh...one other question...My SCUMM games are on my network and I'd rather keep them there so I haven't really bothered with the emus as they all require local storage. Has that changed recently with any of them? NAS support?

GMUNYIFan said:
Those had the PS2's GPU in them while emulating the CPU (or maybe it was the other way around?). So yes, they did have additional hardware to pick up much of the slack for emulating the PS2.

test_account

XP-39C²
Keyser Soze said:
Things are only moving this fast because pretty much all these emulators/tools have been made month beforehand on older Jailbreaks, and they only needed to be signed to work on this one - that's a 5 minute process.

If this was the first ever jailbreak we would all be sitting around twiddling our thumbs
True. I wonder if "jailbreaking" PS3 firmware 3.55 would lead to a lot more homebrew compare to what we saw before with firmware 3.41. If i am not mistaken, all of this homebrew stuff was already possible on firmware 3.41, so would being able to do it on firmware 3.55 change much when it comes to homebrew progress?

Rur0ni

test_account said:
True. I wonder if "jailbreaking" PS3 firmware 3.55 would lead to a lot more homebrew compare to what we saw before with firmware 3.41. If i am not mistaken, all of this homebrew stuff was already possible on firmware 3.41, so would being able to do it on firmware 3.55 change much when it comes to homebrew progress?
Well before you had to buy stuff to jailbreak (unless you had a phone that could do it). Now you don't.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
What's a good catch-all news page for new jailbreak packages? I have a feeling the OP won't be the best place to look after all these developments.

xero273

mattiewheels said:
What's a good catch-all news page for new jailbreak packages? I have a feeling the OP won't be the best place to look after all these developments.

Key websites to check out for the latest news:

PSGroove
QJ.Net
PSX-Scene

Beer Monkey said:
Back on OFW for a few days until I get a new hard drive and transfer all my licenses (requires PSN from what I understand).

Very strange to see and use the SNES emulator while running original firmware and not jailbroken. It sinks in that this stuff, to 3.55 vanilla, is correctly signed and just as valid as Joe Danger or Flower. All the jailbreak does is give us a way to get it on the system.
Seriously? If I jailbreak my PS3, install the emulator, go back to OFW, it still works? :lol

Notorious_Roy said:
Seriously? If I jailbreak my PS3, install the emulator, go back to OFW, it still works? :lol

Yeah. The stuff is all signed to work on a stock PS3; the jailbreak is just to get the file on the system.

Durante

Notorious_Roy said:
That's the main thing about the key discovery, yeah.

I still want to know if there's now a 3.55 with the option to disable HDCP (or just with it generally disabled).

Genesis Knight said:
Yeah. The stuff is all signed to work on a stock PS3; the jailbreak is just to get the file on the system.

So, do we think it should be safe to go back on PSN once we return to OFW after installing all our homebrew? Or should we be concerned about PSN eventually being able to scan our systems for homebrew?

Zoe

Notorious_Roy said:

Unless you want to be a guinea pig though, you should generally stick to the same firmware version numbers or wait for CFW of newer ones. It would be pretty trivial for Sony to kill popular apps with new versions.

DoctorWho said:
So, do we think it should be safe to go back on PSN once we return to OFW after installing all our homebrew? Or should we be concerned about PSN eventually being able to scan our systems for homebrew?

It's best to assume that PSN is not safe. We probably wouldn't see any action though until the next OFW.

test_account

XP-39C²
Rur0ni said:
Well before you had to buy stuff to jailbreak (unless you had a phone that could do it). Now you don't.
True, but i mean, will a lot more people start to develope PS3 homebrew now compared to before? From my understanding, the latest PS3 hacks doesnt really open up for more possibilites when it comes to what you can do with PS3 homebrew, the only difference is that it's now easier to run the homebrew on a PS3 (you dont need a jailbreak device to do it as you say). Not that it was very hard to run PS3 homebrew on a PS3 before though, if we had firmware 3.41 and a jailbreak device :)

Withnail

DoctorWho said:

I don't think they will scan your system, but I think the concern should be your system broadcasting what you are playing directly to Sony's servers. Probably fine providing you only play homebrew offline though.

Rhindle

DoctorWho said:
It doesn't need to scan your system. Your system sends PSN a running report of everything you do on your console.

Inarius

Formerly 'GMUNYIFan'
Would it be possible to eventually allow use of xbox360 fight sticks on the ps3 via USB? My friends and I modded a bunch of Madcatz sticks when SSFIV came out and it would be amazing to be able to use them on the MAME emulators.

Rur0ni

test_account said:
True, but i mean, will a lot more people start to develope PS3 homebrew now compared to before? From my understanding, the latest PS3 hacks doesnt really open up for more possibilites when it comes to what you can do with PS3 homebrew, the only difference is that it's now easier to run the homebrew on a PS3 (you dont need a jailbreak device to do it as you say). Not that it was very hard to run PS3 homebrew on a PS3 before though, if we had firmware 3.41 and a jailbreak device :)
Nothing too different in the end, yes. Just a larger user base, so more incentive/interest in developing homebrew.

KAL2006

Banned
I wonder if it is possible to have netplay on the emulators on PS3. I would love to play Mario Kart 64, Third Strike, Garou, Capcom VS SNK 2 online

While emu's are fine and dandy, this is pretty boring. Need more media homebrew apps. I feel impatient complaining about this, but the sudden influx of emus so early into this is just throwing me off.

phosphor112 said:
While emu's are fine and dandy, this is pretty boring. Need more media homebrew apps. I feel impatient complaining about this, but the sudden influx of emus so early into this is just throwing me off.

Emus already written for 3.41, easily signed for 3.55, no new development, have to wait more than 24 hours for real app development, stop f5-ing in vain, etc etc.

But yeah, emus are awesome but I'm excited for future media dev as well.

Genesis Knight said:
Emus already written for 3.41, easily signed for 3.55, no new development, have to wait more than 24 hours for real app development, stop f5-ing in vain, etc etc.

But yeah, emus are awesome but I'm excited for future media dev as well.

Oh? I didn't know they worked. Hmm. That explains it.

Ponn

Banned
So the backup manager that was just linked, does that rip the games directly to the PS3 HDD for you and makes the appropriate file? Anyone use that before on the previous Dongle JB? About how long on average does it take to rip a standard disc?

Borman

Durante said:
That's the main thing about the key discovery, yeah.

I still want to know if there's now a 3.55 with the option to disable HDCP (or just with it generally disabled).

Not yet, no, other than the rebug stuff. Waiting for it myself. Someone needs to port over the debug commands to a good 3.55-already-jailbroken firmware, then we'll be set, hopefully.

Rhindle said:
It doesn't need to scan your system. Your system sends PSN a running report of everything you do on your console.

Do you have a source for that?

Regardless, anybody who cares about PSN shouldn't go on PSN at all once they jailbreak even if they revert to OFW. That's the only 100% guaranteed way to not get your system banned.

Personally, I just don't care that much about PSN any more so I'm not that uptight about it.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Beer Monkey said:
Do you have a source for that?

Regardless, anybody who cares about PSN shouldn't go on PSN at all once they jailbreak even if they revert to OFW. That's the only 100% guaranteed way to not get your system banned.

Personally, I just don't care that much about PSN any more so I'm not that uptight about it.

yeah, I reverted just for shits and giggles and put it back on OFW.
I need my ps3 connected to my network for my streaming so.

Someone should make a simple utility to clear the pushlist or figure out how to stop it from being written to (with a simple on/off function). I think that's the only thing, aside from running CFW, that could get Sony to detect you at this point in time.

edit: according to a poster on SomethingAwful, the pushlist files are dev_hdd0\home\00000001\etc\boot_history.dat, dev_hdd0\vsh\pushlist\game.dat and dev_hdd0\vsh\pushlist\patch.dat

g35twinturbo said:
yeah, I reverted just for shits and giggles and put it back on OFW.
I need my ps3 connected to my network for my streaming so.

If you are talking about streaming from your locally networked PC, you can simply block playstation.net in your router. This keeps the console from logging into PSN but allows LAN and internet access.

If you are talking Netflix and/or Hulu Plus, yes, you have to log into PSN to use these services.

kinggroin

Banned
2q19g76.jpg

Oh? I didn't know they worked.

:lol

I personally can't wait for an xbox media center-esque homebrew. Dying to replace my popcorn hour.

Danielsan

I like how everyone is asking if their specific desired homebrew application has been released yet as if these things get cranked out at lightning speeds. I think it will take a month or two before the scene has really come in its own. At that point I will probably make the transition. Given that the CFW does not get your console or PSN account banned at that point.

Afrikan

again, how hard would it be for someone to write a MLAA option that could be turned on and off from the xmb menu?

or would it have to be on an emulator by emulator basis.

Ponn

Banned
Beer Monkey said:
If you are talking about streaming from your locally networked PC, you can simply block playstation.net in your router. This keeps the console from logging into PSN but allows LAN and internet access.

If you are talking Netflix and/or Hulu Plus, yes, you have to log into PSN to use these services.

Oh snap, I was worried about DCUO working with this and totally forgot about netflix. Dammmmmmnnnn.

Top Bottom