• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation 3 CFW & Homebrew Technical Help Thread -- morality arguments elsewhere

54-46!

I don't think I'll be messing with this stuff right now, seems a bit tricky when there are different groups releasing stuff left and right. I think I'll check back in a month or so when things have calmed down and we can see who are the ones to follow.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
TheOctagon said:
For what it's worth, I'm going to design a consistent UI for the various emulators, assuming they quickly evolve into something akin to Xport's emulators for Xbox. Nothing overly flashy, no sprites doing the conga while Yoshi humps the Nintendo logo, just an elegant list that happily takes over from the XMB.

Interested?

<3

eso76

uhm..ok, so i updated to 355jb, got a few beeps, system restarted but there's no install package option anywhere in the game tab.
What gives ?

Also, system information shows "firmware version 3.55" is this correct or should i be seeing "firmware version 3.55jb" ?

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
eso76 said:
uhm..ok, so i updated to 355jb, got a few beeps, system restarted but there's no install package option anywhere in the game tab.
What gives ?

Also, system information shows "firmware version 3.55" is this correct or should i be seeing "firmware version 3.55jb" ?

3 beeps mean you on the wrong firmware or something.

8 beeps mean it worked.

eso76 said:
What gives ?

I got 9 beeps, firmware says 3.55 but I have "Install Package" in the game menu.

Rur0ni

eso76 said:
What gives ?

You have to be on 3.55 first.

Here's one I designed for XBMC back in the day, not that XBMC had the functionality to go with it. I'm thinking a similar layout with full-height cover art down one side, though this was just a meta data screen, really. A single-screen emulator version would involve a little more clutter and probably a swapping panel for list, options and game-specific details, and maybe a subtle carbon/neon theme to fit the platform.

4619807369_df63ceb639_b.jpg

eso76

g35twinturbo said:
3 beeps mean you on the wrong firmware or something.

8 beeps mean it worked.

thanks.
tried again, got 3 beeps.
my firmware is 3.55 though and i tried downloading 355jb from different sources.

what would gaf say ?
should i reinstall 355, first, somehow ?

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
eso76 said:
thanks.
tried again, got 3 beeps.
my firmware is 3.55 though and i tried downloading 355jb from different sources.

what would gaf say ?
should i reinstall 355, first, somehow ?

I would say install the OFW from the OP then try the JB 355

Bendz

Banned
Here's one I designed for XBMC back in the day, not that XBMC had the functionality to go with it. I'm thinking a similar layout with full-height cover art down one side, though this was just a meta data screen, really. A single-screen emulator version would involve a little more clutter and probably a swapping panel for list, options and game-specific details, and maybe a subtle carbon/neon theme to fit the platform.
That would make my PS3 a gaming Plex! Do heart!

eso76

g35twinturbo said:
I would say install the OFW from the OP then try the JB 355

oh, i forgot to mention i tried reinstalling original 3.55 but ps3 says there's nothing useful on my usb key when i put the .pup file in the usual folder.

Is there a recovery function anywhere ? i think there's something wrong with my 3.55 at this point

expy

Banned
eso76 said:
oh, i forgot to mention i tried reinstalling original 3.55 but ps3 says there's nothing useful on my usb key when i put the .pup file in the usual folder.

Is there a recovery function anywhere ? i think there's something wrong with my 3.55 at this point
Have you tried a network update? >_>

TheOctagon said:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3352/4619807369_df63ceb639_b.jpg

I would do no less than skullfuck you if you did that. That looks so awesome.

eso76

expy said:
Have you tried a network update? >_>

yup, tells me i'm already up to date...
i think i got the message the system did not close properly a couple times...maybe that has something to do with it ?

to Borman; no i don't have the install option

Something I"d like to see but, that I realize probably won't happen, would be for older PS2 hardware capable 60/20GB PS3's to allow 480p output for PS2 games. I do this now with the old HD Boot disk but, I'd love to be able to just pop in a PS2 game and go. True 480p looks far better than blurry up-scaling.

expy

Banned
eso76 said:
yup, tells me i'm already up to date...
i think i got the message the system did not close properly a couple times...maybe that has something to do with it ?

to Borman; no i don't have the install option
If re-'jailbreaking' the machine doesn't work, then I guess you're better off just waiting, unless you want to keep trying then eventually breaking your console.

I dont know anything about this stuff, I just want to know is it possible that this brings back backward compatibility with PS2. I want my new featureless PS3 to be like my old one.

Zoe

MiamiWesker said:
I dont know anything about this stuff, I just want to know is it possible that this brings back backward compatibility with PS2. I want my new featureless PS3 to be like my old one.

No.

xero273

MiamiWesker said:

No, it is very unlikely for ps3s without any ps2 components to emulate ps2.

Borman

Use the recovery menu to install the Peek Poke firmware, if you are already on 3.55. Then give the JB a try. Or just reinstall the stock firmware via the recovery menu. Follow this guide :
http://community.us.playstation.com/message/2252774

To get to the recovery menu. Then have the update on a USB memory stick or whatever your preferred method is, in the correct folder (PS3/UPDATE)

Edit : I was already on 3.55 (jailbroken), and installed Peek Poke via Recovery with no issues.

MiamiWesker said:

Not possible.

Best bet for ps2 games on a slim is through hd classics. The good thing there is that Sony also sells them through psn so you can get them straight on your hdd.

TheOctagon said:
For what it's worth, I'm going to design a consistent UI for the various emulators, assuming they quickly evolve into something akin to Xport's emulators for Xbox. Nothing overly flashy, no sprites doing the conga while Yoshi humps the Nintendo logo, just an elegant list that happily takes over from the XMB.

Interested?

I was actually thinking about that earlier today... well.. like 3 am.

I was also thinking about if it would be easy to integrate a ROM loading menu into the XMB. For example, go to Game, have a sub folder be "SNES" click it, and instead of running the snes emu, it takes you to a list of all your ROMS. Select ROM, game starts. I think that would be nice.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Erasus said:
Yes. If Sony could not do full software PS2 emulation, then the homebrew community probably wont.

PS2 and PS3 are totally different in architecture and Sony has all the documentation and homebrew guys dont.
Not that it matters at this point, but I'm not convinced that Sony put all that much effort into it considering it was a completely losing proposition for them. But I admit that I don't know the full details of Sony's PS2 emulation effort on PS3, and this isn't the appropriate thread to discuss it.

3rdman

TheOctagon said:

Interested?
Interested, of course...but right now I don't think it's worth it. I'd wait until a standard rises...perhaps one of the BM will become a fully-featured arcade and these individual programs won't exist anymore...I just think you'd be wasting your energy. Hope I don't sound like a wet rag... :p

ReBurn said:
Not that it matters at this point, but I'm not convinced that Sony put all that much effort into it considering it was a completely losing proposition for them. But I admit that I don't know the full details of Sony's PS2 emulation effort on PS3, and this isn't the appropriate thread to discuss it.

I think they were trying to do it all through software back in 2006/2007. They needed to cut costs badly and that's why they took out the EE chip right away and emulated it through CELL. If those models still had the GS chip in them to run ps2 games it probably means Sony couldn't get a good emulator working.

phosphor112 said:

I was also thinking about if it would be easy to integrate a ROM loading menu into the XMB. For example, go to Game, have a sub folder be "SNES" click it, and instead of running the snes emu, it takes you to a list of all your ROMS. Select ROM, game starts. I think that would be nice.

This would be really nice for emulators.

It would make everything feel like part of the ps3, just like all your official apps and games.

54-46!

3rdman said:
Interested, of course...but right now I don't think it's worth it. I'd wait until a standard rises...perhaps one of the BM will become a fully-featured arcade and these individual programs won't exist anymore...I just think you'd be wasting your energy. Hope I don't sound like a wet rag... :p
Pretty much this. I'd love a UI standard since I hate anything that's not consistent (I'm looking at you PS3 interface) but you should wait till you know wich teams you should support.

sajj316

phosphor112 said:

I like this idea. Further this, in game-XMB allows you to select another ROM (independent of the emulated platform). This would let you switch from Sonic 2 to Super Mario World.

The ROM list can be a bit more graphical with box art cover, name of game, and details that overlay in the background.

If you wanted something akin to CFG Loader but a universal loader, it would have to be an application accessed through XMB.

Two approaches .. same result.

expy

Banned
MidgarBlowedUp said:
Something I"d like to see but, that I realize probably won't happen, would be for older PS2 hardware capable 60/20GB PS3's to allow 480p output for PS2 games. I do this now with the old HD Boot disk but, I'd love to be able to just pop in a PS2 game and go. True 480p looks far better than blurry up-scaling.
Set your PS3 to output only 480.

angelfly

DOBERMAN INC said:
That was fast :D Thank you, And angelfly too for creating it.
As I said before I simply signed it. The package was already out there but I got tired of waiting for someone to sign it. Outside of this forum I've still yet to see anyone sign it.

expy

Banned
angelfly said:
As I said before I simply signed it. The package was already out there but I got tired of waiting for someone to sign it. Outside of this forum I've still yet to see anyone sign it.
That's why the tools are out there, not everything is going to get signed right away, so if people are impatient, they should just download the tools, sign the apps themselves and test them out. They just want to be spoon fed everything, sad really.

RedSwirl

Wake me up when we got MKV support. I already own two PS3s.

Regarding PS2 emu though, is there any chance that we could get some method to make a Slim run PS2 discs, even if the emulation is imperfect, or would it only be for downloaded PS2 games? I probably shouldn't worry though since my second PS3 is a 60GB that got repaired from its first YLOD.

Sutanreyu

xero273 said:
No, it is very unlikely for ps3s without any ps2 components to emulate ps2.

Not entirely true. If someone were to reprogram/recompile say, PCSX2 to the PS3, it's quite possible to play PS2 games on the PS3 without the PS2 hardware. That's essentially the whole concept of 'emulation'.

It wouldn't be trivial, but it's definitely more than just doable. It'd be interesting to see if someone could integrate a PS2 emulator seamlessly into the XMB.

phosphor112 said:

Yeah, that's always the dream scenario, especially if you can get the thumbnails to display cover art. I'm guessing what you're talking about is a command line execution of each emulator, maybe a database-driven library for the games and a centralised store of cover art, meta data and individual game settings. That's a massive ask, though I'd be a massive idiot to underestimate anything right now.

angelfly

expy said:
That's why the tools are out there, not everything is going to get signed right away, so if people are impatient, they should just download the tools, sign the apps themselves and test them out. They just want to be spoon fed everything, sad really.
Yeah, I attempted signing as soon as geohot released his code but the packages that were a result would install fine but wouldn't actually run. Later someone suggested I update the fail0verflow tools since I was using older builds. After a git pull and recompile everything worked the way it was supposed to.

expy

Banned
RedSwirl said:
Regarding PS2 emu though, is there any chance that we could get some method to make a Slim run PS2 discs, even if the emulation is imperfect, or would it only be for downloaded PS2 games? I probably shouldn't worry though since my second PS3 is a 60GB that got repaired from its first YLOD.
No.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Sutanreyu said:
Not entirely true. If someone were to reprogram/recompile say, PCSX2 to the PS3, it's quite possible to play PS2 games on the PS3 without the PS2 hardware. That's essentially the whole concept of 'emulation'.

It wouldn't be trivial, but it's definitely more than just doable. It'd be interesting to see if someone could integrate a PS2 emulator seamlessly into the XMB.
It's not "more than just doable" because of hardware limitations, you can't just reprogram/recompile a PS2 emulator and run it on a Genesis.

M3Freak

Banned
I think it's awesome we can run our own apps on the PS3 with this hack, but it would really suck if Sony is unable to stop people from screwing around with PSN (e.g. cheating on trophies).

It would really, really, really suck.

M3Freak said:
I think it's awesome we can run our own apps on the PS3 with this hack, but it would really suck if Sony is unable to stop people from screwing around with PSN (e.g. cheating on trophies).

I'd prefer it if they ban cheaters but leave people just running homebrew

But, and this is probably an unpopular opinion, if they're not going to do that, I'd rather they not ban anyone than ban everyone who jailbroke.

M3Freak said:

It's probably too late for that. A trophy unlocker was one of the first homebrew JB apps and it wouldn't surprise me if someone already signed that app.

Top Bottom