• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation 3 CFW & Homebrew Technical Help Thread -- morality arguments elsewhere

Rhindle

Big One said:
The real question is: Would they actually do something about it?

I mean that practically destroys a good portion of their userbase. The PS3 still doesn't have the active online communities of the 360 to warrant such a strict thing and could potentially weed out consumers that Sony needs to keep the system alive. People are now actually purchasing PS3's all over the web now that the system has been cracked, whether it's for homebrew features or even piracy.

Just a thought, at least. With the 360, you have a huge, active userbase and also online features you have to pay for, so in the long run banning a console for homebrew doesn't hurt Microsoft that much.
Well my guess is that they'll try to defeat this with firmware updates first.

If that doesn't work, then PSN bans may be the only fallback. Though I agree that it is not as much of a deterrent as an XBL ban.

ismaboof

Big One said:

I mean that practically destroys a good portion of their userbase. The PS3 still doesn't have the active online communities of the 360 to warrant such a strict thing and could potentially weed out consumers that Sony needs to keep the system alive. People are now actually purchasing PS3's all over the web now that the system has been cracked, whether it's for homebrew features or even piracy.

Just a thought, at least. With the 360, you have a huge, active userbase and also online features you have to pay for, so in the long run banning a console for homebrew doesn't hurt Microsoft that much.

Creating the wild west PSN is not a world where Sony is going to attract or even maintain it's multiplayer userbase

angelfly

H_Prestige said:
That's a good point. Did Sony ever ban psp's?
Nope, I doubt PS3 accounts or console will get banned either since they detected plenty of jailbroken consoles connecting during the period when the spoofed payloads were released. I connected everyday and even played homebrew while on PSN as well as online games. Not saying they won't but I don't think they will.

I suppose a big question here is whether Sony can specifically ban just the people who cheat in online multi and who cheat on Trophies, or whether the only way to ban those people would be to ban everyone with any sort of anomaly in their pushlist and/or firmware.

badcrumble said:
I suppose a big question here is whether Sony can specifically ban just the people who cheat in online multi and who cheat on Trophies, or whether the only way to ban those people would be to ban everyone with any sort of anomaly in their pushlist and/or firmware.

Don't most games have built in systems for reporting cheaters anyway?

RyanDG

Big One said:

Sony's primary goal at this point (since piracy can't be stopped), will be to protect the integrity of PSN, and allowing consoles with modified firmware running unauthorized software affects that integrity. So yes, I absolutely believe that Sony will do something about this. Especially since it can have impacts on players not using the unauthorized code.

angelfly

badcrumble said:
Not hard to spot either of them. Cheaters are easily found and you can easily spot hacked trophy lists (e.g every trophy unlucked at the same date and time).

Big One said:

I'm not sure I follow that last bit of logic. Wouldn't it hurt MS since people actually pay for those online services? They'd be losing all those subs, right?

Zoe

MushroomSamba said:
I'm not sure I follow that last bit of logic. Wouldn't it hurt MS since people actually pay for those online services? They'd be losing all those subs, right?

You know, if people start dropping off of PSN, Sony wouldn't have to keep paying the costs for maintaining as many servers :lol

Angelcurio said:
One of the things i still don't get about this hardware generation is that you have those powerfull machines out there and none of the hardware makers have an app store like the ones you see for Android, iOS and RIM devices. That way they would have avoided at least part of the problems related to things that the consoles can't do.
Yeah. I mean, obviously they have downloadable games, but I was sure Wii would end up with a more robust media player than the Photo Channel as a legit WiiWare application.

Well, I guess we got uhh... the browser for Wii, and calculators for DS.

Big One

Banned
RyanDG said:
Sony's primary goal at this point (since piracy can't be stopped), will be to protect the integrity of PSN, and allowing consoles with modified firmware running unauthorized software affects that integrity. So yes, I absolutely believe that Sony will do something about this. Especially since it can have impacts on players not using the unauthorized code.
I agree with this.

But integrity for PSN I don't think is determined by running homebrew apps. I think what'll happen is consoles/accounts getting banned for cheating online or cheating in trophies, which I condone completely, cause that's some serious bullshit. I dunno if either of those things have happened yet, though.
MushroomSamba said:
How many times would you see something like this on PSN?

Shaneus

Okay, one more quandary (with this revelation of possible console banning): Should I upgrade my 3.41 fat (that I use with a jigkick) to 3.55CFW? From what I can see, there's no real value in holding onto that firmware anymore.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Big One said:
I agree with this.

But integrity for PSN I don't think is determined by running homebrew apps. I think what'll happen is consoles/accounts getting banned for cheating online or cheating in trophies, which I condone completely, cause that's some serious bullshit. I dunno if either of those things have happened yet, though.

MS bans people for having modified dvd firmware (i.e. only "official" games can be run, so you can't really cheat). I have no doubt Sony will do the same. Console bans are more likely with PS3 as well, since an online account is free to make.

The single biggest deterrent against bans is if a large volume of people do this jailbreak. Let's say 10% of people do it (based on estimated iPhone jailbreak numbers), that's like 4.5 million people. Sony are not going to ban all of them.

Chesskid1

Banned
i kinda wish geohot made his firmware with peek n poke. that way everything works with no hassle and people could concentrate on making homebrew. now there is a bunch of people working on making their own firmware instead and from what i'm reading about it, they aren't really sure what they are doing. (i heard one guy has bricked like 5 Ps3s already and i've read quotes from mat making fun of them using wrong syscalls, etc.).

luoapp

I NEED SCISSORS said:
The single biggest deterrent against bans is if a large volume of people do this jailbreak. Let's say 10% of people do it (based on estimated iPhone jailbreak numbers), that's like 4.5 million people. Sony are not going to ban all of them.

Apple makes a good profit off each iphone sold, plus the cut from AT&T. Has Sony broken even on PS3 yet?

RyanDG

I NEED SCISSORS said:

Possibly, which actually lends the support that if bans were incoming, Sony will probably be interested in having it happen far sooner than later... Before a custom firmware is created the stops/spoofs the start up boot information being sent to Sony and before the modified firmware/new custom firmwares really take a foothold.

But I'm not going to get too off topic here.

luoapp

I NEED SCISSORS said:
Sony haven't even made money on PSN yet - they need all the revenue they can get.

So ban account, but don't ban console? I don't know. Sony is in such a tough spot now, just when I thought it's almost caught up with 360 HW sales wise, and with a strong 1st exclusive push this year. But now this shit...

Zoe

Aigis said:
If I install the ofw 3.55 can I still install the cfw later on? Want to watch some stuff on Netflix.

You're clear with 3.55, but who knows with any future OFW.

luoapp said:
So ban account, but don't ban console? I don't know. Sony is in such a tough spot now, just when I thought it's almost caught up with 360 HW sales wise, and with a strong 1st exclusive push this year. But now this shit...

This will increase HW sales if anything...

angelfly

Chesskid1 said:
the ps1 emulator used it as well. (thats why there isn't a version for 3.55 yet)
PS3SX could be written without needing them but the source has pretty much been abandoned and left for someone to take over. Snes9x also relied on peek and poke in the older versions.

sajj316

so..

CFW + PSN = risk of ban (which means No Netflix)
CFW + No PSN = risk of ban (send info on boot) and no Netflix

It seems that if you really want to run CFW, you're PS3 needs to be offline which means no Netflix as well. It would make sense to wait on future CFW that addresses the concern of sending info on boot.

expy

Banned
luoapp said:
Actually, it's better if they just ban the entire console. It's not like they're losing subscription income, since PSN is free, and anything already spent on PSN is a sunk cost.

sajj316 said:
so..

It seems that if you really want to run CFW, you're PS3 needs to be offline which means no Netflix as well. It would make sense to wait on future CFW that addresses the concern of sending info on boot.

Yeah, seems like CFW has the same negatives as jailbreaking for the time being. I think i'll wait... all this is pretty new, anyways.

sajj316 said:
so..

Netflix doesn't just require the internet, it also requires that you are logged into PSN.

If I were dependent on my PS3 for online stuff I'd be very, very careful.

Since I use my 360 for almost all my online stuff, I'm going to be very reckless. :lol

KtSlime

test_account said:
Excuse my ignorance, but why is peek and poke needed for homebrew?

It's needed for anything that wants to patch a memory space, so this could be useful for anything, from backup managers to injecting new settings into the XMB.

sajj316

Beer Monkey said:
Netflix doesn't just require the internet, it also requires that you are logged into PSN.

If I were dependent on my PS3 for online stuff I'd be very, very careful.

Since I use my 360 for almost all my online stuff, I'm going to be very reckless. :lol

since I have two ps3, ones going dark tonight ... I'll be a little reckless.

Ok cool, got Geohot's CFW working nicely and a couple of SNES roms

Only thing is though, the Blackbox FTP app is slow as shit over a 100MB wired link, opening a directory takes about 1 min

Also, where would we drop the files for the ROMS? In HDD0? WHat is HDD1? ANd PS2Disk1 and 2?

angelfly

Mecha_Infantry said:

Only thing is though, the Blackbox FTP app is slow as shit over a 100MB wired link, opening a directory takes about 1 min

Also, where would we drop the files for the ROMS? In HDD0? WHat is HDD1? ANd PS2Disk1 and 2?
Seems pretty speedy for me with Filezilla.

Mecha_Infantry said:

Try to disable passive mode in your FTP client.

Dragon

Banned
BruceLeeRoy said:
The idea of a Wii emulator on my PS3 makes me so damn giddy. I hope someone makes that a possibility.

How would that work? The Move and Wiimote aren't able to be mapped 1:1 unless I'm missing something?

Keio

For a Finer World
Having already spent over 150 euros on PSN, if Sony decides to ban me, please do. I'm going online anyway and buying Echocrome 2 to test it after all the glorious reviews. Now cutting me out would be killing a part of the only revenue model (content sales) they have, making it impossible for me to get PSN titles. Not smart on their part IMO.

I doubt Sony would revoke licenses from software I already own, right?

Keio said:
Having already spent over 150 euros on PSN, if Sony decides to ban me, please do. I'm going online anyway and buying Echocrome 2 to test it after all the glorious reviews. Now cutting me out would be killing a part of the only revenue model (content sales) they have, making it impossible for me to get PSN titles. Not smart on their part IMO.
Seriously. "We don't want you to pirate, so as your punishment... no more buying games! Ha! Fat chance finding a way to install that game on your machine now!"

Top Bottom