• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation 3 CFW & Homebrew Technical Help Thread -- morality arguments elsewhere

ssowinski

So now that you can run a filemanager on FW 3.55 should I finally go retrieve my locked Demon Souls gamesave from my old PS3 and transfer it to my new one so I don't lose the 30 hours progress?

The bluray drive in my old one died so I can't play the game anymore but it's still good for PSN games and streaming movies.

I had an old GOW3 gamesave that would let you back it up to USB but you couldn't run it on another console. I tried some save/filesave trickery on it and got it working on my new one a few months back.

Has anyone tried to move a DS gamesave to a new console? Any sucesses?

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
JoshuaJSlone said:
Seriously. "We don't want you to pirate, so as your punishment... no more buying games! Ha! Fat chance finding a way to install that game on your machine now!"

MS does it the same. You break their online agreement, they ban you.

EL Beefo

expy said:
You'd also have to simulate the infrared bar or get the infrared bar powered somehow as well.

The sensor bar is nothing more than infrared LED's. You can even replace it with two candles and it will work fine.

railGUN

Banned
I'd guess that the more Sony bans consoles, the harder people will work to get them back online, and, if people do figure out a way around that ban, online games will burn. I fully expect Sony to ban a lot of people moving forward, but I also fully expect it to blow up in their face.

RedSwirl

Angelcurio said:
One of the things i still don't get about this hardware generation is that you have those powerfull machines out there and none of the hardware makers have an app store like the ones you see for Android, iOS and RIM devices. That way they would have avoided at least part of the problems related to things that the consoles can't do.

I've been thinking Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo should have done this for a while now. It makes perfect sense.

You get a lot of functionality out of the hardware, more reasons for people to buy it, more software available, and it would discourage unofficial homebrew to an extent by creating sanctioned homebrew.

expy

Banned
EL Beefo said:
The sensor bar is nothing more than infrared LED's. You can even replace it with two candles and it will work fine.
Yess, that's why I said simulated too.. I saw that video where they used candles and burned down some things as a result.

MMaRsu

Banned
Well I went with it and it's great so far. Have a bunch of my Snes and Genesis games running :D. But FBANext isn't working for me? I put the roms in zipped state in the roms folder inside the FBAN directory.. inside the directory of the program itself I didn't create a roms folder myself if you know what I mean.

Tried 3rd Strike but it says No Roms Found?

That makes me a sad camper but I'll keep trying.

What could I be doing wrong?

BobTheFork said:
I've been digging around on the back pages and on the psgroove site, does anyone have a link to the signed VBA package?

Yes please!

kinggroin

Banned
MMaRsu said:
Well I went with it and it's great so far. Have a bunch of my Snes and Genesis games running :D. But FBANext isn't working for me? I put the roms in zipped state in the roms folder inside the FBAN directory.. inside the directory of the program itself I didn't create a roms folder myself if you know what I mean.

Yes please!

in the dev_hd00 make a folder called ROMS. Then inside THAT folder, make another called FBA. Put your roms in FBA.

BobTheFork said:
I've been digging around on the back pages and on the psgroove site, does anyone have a link to the signed VBA package?

Use the tool released and sign it yourself

yurinka

WrikaWrek said:
Does it matter if Sony bans you?

PSN is free. You can just make another account and play.
The games, DLC stuff, subscriptions (Qore, PSN+, movies...) you paid for the banned account aren't free. And well, there's also the trophies.

kinggroin said:
in the dev_hd00 make a folder called ROMS. Then inside THAT folder, make another called FBA. Put your roms in FBA.

Use the tool released and sign it yourself
oh, you don't have to do anything to it first?
I know you can sign your own packages but there were people taking 'requests' on what to sign, making me think that you have to prepare it first somehow.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
BobTheFork said:
oh, you don't have to do anything to it first?
I know you can sign your own packages but there were people taking 'requests' on what to sign, making me think that you have to prepare it first somehow.
Well the Tales of Graces f demo patcher doesn't work even after being signed so I don't think everything just works although it appears to be the case for other things.

Bigfoot

yurinka said:
The games, DLC stuff, subscriptions (Qore, PSN+, movies...) you paid for the banned account aren't free. And well, there's also the trophies.
I don't see Sony stopping you from using anything you purchased. Sure, they could ban you from PSN but if the games and whatever are already installed, preventing people from using what they bought is just bad news for Sony in goodwill along with potential lawsuits. Along with that, it just forces people to start pirating to get back what they already own (and probably more).

The smart thing to do would be to ban the console from playing online games, but still allow PSN purchases so Sony can still get money from those that don't want to pirate.

xtop

for a guy short on money. would a used 40gb be a good purchase (for $200)? i had a launch 60 and got the ylod, will i get the same with the 40gb eventually? or was that only a 1st gen thing? all this jailbreak talk has me itching to get a ps3 back :D

InfiniteNine said:
Well the Tales of Graces f demo patcher doesn't work even after being signed so I don't think everything just works although it appears to be the case for other things.
I didn't think you could just sign any exe file and for it. Someone already did it I was hoping it was posted somewhere. I'll just sign the exe to try it out I guess. I'll report back

test_account

XP-39C²
ivedoneyourmom said:
It's needed for anything that wants to patch a memory space, so this could be useful for anything, from backup managers to injecting new settings into the XMB.
Ok, i see, thanks for the info :)

Porthos said:
The smart thing to do would be to ban the console from playing online games, but still allow PSN purchases so Sony can still get money from those that don't want to pirate.
I dont think that would works since you need to log in to PSN to access the PS Store. I think that Sony would have to make a 2nd "PSN" for this to work.

xtop said:
for a guy short on money. would a used 40gb be a good purchase? i had a launch 60 and got the ylod, will i get the same with the 40gb eventually? or was that only a 1st gen thing? all this jailbreak talk has me itching to get a ps3 back :D
Depends on how much it costs and how much you are planing on keeping on the harddrive (as in if 40GB is enough for you) =)

xtop

test_account said:
Ok, i see, thanks for the info :)

I dont think that would works since you need to log in to PSN to access the PS Store. I think that Sony would have to make a 2nd "PSN" for this to work.

Depends on how much it costs and how much you are planing on keeping on the harddrive (as in if 40GB is enough for you) =)

looks like i can score a 40gb for $200. not worried about a hard drive, i've got enough of those around. mostly just worried if i'll end up with a broken system again

test_account

XP-39C²
xtop said:
looks like i can score a 40gb for $200. not worried about a hard drive, i've got enough of those around. mostly just worried if i'll end up with a broken system again
Ye, if it's only the console (with hookups and 1 controller) and if it is used, then $200 doesnt sound like a too good of a deal in my opinion, concidering that you can get a brand new PS3 Slim 160GB for $299. Then you have some warranty as well (not sure for how long though).

sajj316

MMaRsu said:

Yes please!
Remember the slash \roms\

xtop

test_account said:
Ye, if it's only the console (with hookups and 1 controller) and if it is used, then $200 doesnt sound like a too good of a deal in my opinion, concidering that you can get a brand new PS3 Slim 160GB for $299. Then you have some warranty as well (not sure for how long though).

you make a very good point. thanks

test_account

XP-39C²
Keio said:
Having already spent over 150 euros on PSN, if Sony decides to ban me, please do. I'm going online anyway and buying Echocrome 2 to test it after all the glorious reviews. Now cutting me out would be killing a part of the only revenue model (content sales) they have, making it impossible for me to get PSN titles. Not smart on their part IMO.

I doubt Sony would revoke licenses from software I already own, right?
Not to go too much into this discussion, but how are Sony going to distinguish the people who only use their CFW for homebrew and legit stuff from those who arent? Should Sony only ban the people with CFW who have spent very little money on PSN purchases?

xtop said:
you make a very good point. thanks
No problem! :)

yurinka

Porthos said:
I don't see Sony stopping you from using anything you purchased. Sure, they could ban you from PSN but if the games and whatever are already installed, preventing people from using what they bought is just bad news for Sony in goodwill along with potential lawsuits. Along with that, it just forces people to start pirating to get back what they already own (and probably more).

Yep, I agree.

But in PSP they didn't banned. They just limited PSN for the latest oficial firmware. I think they will do the same here if they can.

Added the VBA to the OP.

I have tried keeping up with the thread while at work but am sure I missed some stuff. Trying to update the OP so if anybody could update me with the relevant news that I missed I'd appreciate it.

Dwayne

LovingSteam said:
Added the VBA to the OP.

I have tried keeping up with the thread while at work but am sure I missed some stuff. Trying to update the OP so if anybody could update me with the relevant news that I missed I'd appreciate it.

Would be good to add this peek/poke stuff (I missed it too).

Ploid 3.0

Hiro_Kunimi_80 said:
Ps3 doesn't have an unique ID like X360, cant' ban permanently the hardware

Don't they? What is the id used to not allow you to use any HDD from another PS3 (before formatting or removing data)?

Rur0ni

LovingSteam said:
From what I read the released version isn't working correctly. If it is please correct me but I was going to wait until a more steady version was released.
Not yet. Something is causing the PS3 to shutdown/freeze after poking. They are investigating.

skybaby

peek/poke is working, but flukes1 has said on irc that in 3.55 the ps3 hardcrashes after you change anything in the r-x part of lv2 and quit the app. So an iso loader would not work as it would change these memory ranges and crash after going back to the xmb for you to load a game.
he's now comparing 3.50 to 3.55 lv2 looking for differences

skybaby said:
peek/poke is working, but flukes1 has said on irc that in 3.55 the ps3 hardcrashes after you change anything in the r-x part of lv2 and quit the app. So an iso loader would not work as it would change these memory ranges and crash after going back to the xmb for you to load a game.
he's now comparing 3.50 to 3.55 lv2 looking for differences

Ahh I see. Will wait then. I did add the NES and VBA emulator links. Anything else?

angelfly

BobTheFork said:
Thanks you very much.
Would you happen to know why I can't run the package finalizer? Is it even able to run on Windows 7, I'm getting a 'missing Dll' error.
You need openssl installed.

Hiro_Kunimi_80 said:
They can and they have.

Also how do you think they implemented the 5 consoles per account/activation if not by some console ID?

KAL2006

Banned
Hiro_Kunimi_80 said:

Are you sure?

If that is the case banning PSN accounts will do no good, as someone can just make another PSN account for free. They need to be able to ban the hardware.

RyanDG

Hiro_Kunimi_80 said:

There is absolutely a unique console ID that can be banned permanently. It was the reason why there was a Console ID spoofer that was attempted to be released a while ago that ended up failing authentication to PSN.

I'm going to vote that we have TWO threads, and would like a mod's permission to make it happen.

Thread 1: Actual Talk about PS3 Homebrew, Emulators, getting shit to work, etc.

Thread 2: PS3 CFW Ban Hammer Discussion

This great thread has been hijacked by nonsensical jiberish about "what if sony does this?" and "I bet they can do that!" bullcrap. We need another thread entirely for those that want to talk hypothetical what if scenarios, because I have no interest in reading about anything here EXCEPT progress on CFW and homebrew.

angelfly

Superblatt said:
I'm going to vote that we have TWO threads, and would like a mod's permission to make it happen.

Thread 1: Actual Talk about PS3 Homebrew, Emulators, getting shit to work, etc.

Thread 2: PS3 CFW Ban Hammer Discussion

This great thread has been hijacked by nonsensical jiberish about "what is sony does this?" and "I bet they can do that" bullcrap. We need another thread entirely for those that want to talk what is scenarios, because I have no interest in reading about anything here EXCEPT progress on CFW and homebrew.
Funny thing is we already have a separate thread for that. This thread was split off to avoid it.

Top Bottom