• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation 3 CFW & Homebrew Technical Help Thread -- morality arguments elsewhere

N.A

Banned
OK, a very early version of my ps3 homebrew wiki is now online at http://www.pshomebrew.net. The basic info of getting setup is there (which I'm sure I'll have to completely re-write in the next few days) and I've begun the Homebrew Directory, though I've only added Snes9x so far just to get all the formatting sorted. I'll be adding the rest of the apps today.

If anybody could make a logo that would be awesome(I'm terrible with graphics). If you would like to help the image should be a transparent .gif or .png 135x135 pixels.

Billen

Banned
Tinfoilt hat ON.

Sony helped bringing this development about. That is why they launched PSN+

Tinfoil hat OFF.

No, there really isn't any logic to what I just wrote.

All of these emulators need to have screen size modifiers - some of them overscan on my panasonic plasma, cutting off the top and bottom on 3S.

Glad that the SNES one at least allows you to modify the display size. FBA needs some work with regards to remapping controls as well.

plainr_

Help?

How and where do I store my SNES roms on the internal hard drive? I have a slim so the two usb ports are most likely in use for other peripherals.

Sew

N.A said:
OK, a very early version of my ps3 homebrew wiki is now online at http://www.pshomebrew.net. The basic info of getting setup is there (which I'm sure I'll have to completely re-write in the next few days) and I've begun the Homebrew Directory, though I've only added Snes9x so far just to get all the formatting sorted. I'll be adding the rest of the apps today.

If anybody could make a logo that would be awesome(I'm terrible with graphics). If you would like to help the image should be a transparent .gif or .png 135x135 pixels.
Great work kicking this off, I hope it becomes something. If I have anything worthwhile to contribute in the future, I will.

N.A

Banned
plainr_ said:
Help?

How and where do I store my SNES roms on the internal hard drive? I have a slim so the two usb ports are most likely in use for other peripherals.

You can change the path in the options menu.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
plainr_ said:
Is it safe to create a "ROM" folder anywhere on the internal hard drive?
If a legitimate Sony authorised app didn't put it there then no.

N.A

Banned
plainr_ said:
Is it safe to create a "ROM" folder anywhere on the internal hard drive?

In terms of whether it will fuck up anything, then yes it is safe. If your asking whether Sony can detect it, then no it isn't.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Turns out Geohot is delibertly sabotaging other folks attempts to build on his work.

< @geohot> my anti lv2 patching isn’t just anti piracy

Apparently he's done something to prevent folks from enabling the kinds of homebrew he doesn't approve of. Quite a dick move.

cyberheater said:
If a legitimate Sony authorised app didn't put it there then no.

Of course it's safe. Go right ahead, many folks, myself included have already done so.

KtSlime

Dani said:
Turns out Geohot is delibertly sabotaging other folks attempts to build on his work.

Apparently he's done something to prevent folks from enabling the kinds of homebrew he doesn't approve of. Quite a dick move.

Of course it's safe. Go right ahead, many folks, myself included have already done so.

I think you want the other thread.

Fjolle

Dani said:

What kinds of homebrew am I missing out on?

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
ivedoneyourmom said:
I think you want the other thread.
Nope. I'm talking about a technical limit put in place in a CFW by it's author. Like hell do I care what Sony thinks of any of this.

Fjolle said:
What kinds of homebrew am I missing out on?

Right now? Older game emulation, FTP and File manipulation. In future over the next few days, weeks and months? Check the OP for the wishlist. :lol

Geohit is preventing PS1 emulation and PS3 game backing up and playing from HDD as this requires lv2 access. But I'm sure others will find ways around it.

KtSlime

Dani said:
Nope. I'm talking about a technical limit put in place in a CFW by it's author. Like hell do I care what Sony thinks of any of this.

Which I was about to respond with: How is Geohot placing a limit on what people can do with their firmware different than what Sony has done.

Which would have devolved to, well the only thing you can't really do on Geohot's modified firmware is peek and poke.

Then someone would ask what peek and poke are for.

Then someone would say, cheating and piracy.

And then we would be in a conversation about piracy which does not belong in this thread.
:lol

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
ivedoneyourmom said:
Which I was about to respond with: How is Geohot placing a limit on what people can do with their firmware different than what Sony has done.

Which would have devolved to, well the only thing you can't really do on Geohot's modified firmware is peek and poke.

Then someone would ask what peek and poke are for.

Then someone would say, cheating and piracy.

And then we would be in a conversation about piracy which does not belong in this thread.

I just posted what I though was new and relevant information. I wasn't aware of Geohot's stance before this. I assumed he was against backups and facilitation, not actively adding "security" to his "CFW" to prevent it. It reeks of job hunting.

Fjolle

Edit: nvm. Let's stay out of that discussion

Are you sure that it is something geohot has added? I thought that the only thing he changed with the cfw was the app loader?

KtSlime

Dani said:

I just posted what I though was new and relevant information. I wasn't aware of Geohot's stance before this. I assumed he was against backups and facilitation, not actively adding "security" to his "CFW" to prevent it. It reeks of job hunting.

I think he is against people bricking their PS3s and wasting time. modifying lv2 is pretty much a waste of time, because it will be what Sony has their most vested interests in, and is also easiest to mess up a system, and is also easiest for Sony change.

As geohot's modified firmware stands, there are few changes, a change to an config file, a couple of return value changes. I think he figures the less stepping on Sony's toes the more likely Sony will ignore us. Also, the fewer changes made, the easier to re implement those changes if Sony does something to the firmware.

Messing with lv2 is a lot of work for very little gain, especially when you consider that most problems have other more elegant solutions if people would take 5 seconds to think about their options.

eso76

N.A said:

heh, quick stab, but there's some symbology to it :)

jqMat.png

didn't read the required size, but i think removing the text and leaving the open 'ps home' logo could work :)

look, it even has the 'web2.0 reflection' !!1 so i guess it meets all modern design canons

KtSlime

eso76 said:

jqMat.png

didn't read the required size, but i think removing the text and leaving the open 'ps home' logo could work :)

look, it even has the 'web2.0 reflection' !!1 so i guess it meets all modern design canons

I personally love it. :lol

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
The SNES emulator runs really well. It's great to finally run homebrew on my PS3.

eso76

cyberheater said:
The SNES emulator runs really well. It's great to finally run homebrew on my PS3.

fba next is fine too and crt filter looks very good (although scanlines get slightly messed up with aspect ratio, hope they can fix that) and runs most stuff fullspeed.
Looks 100 times better than xbox1 emus on hdtv's, and menages to make old games look rather authentic and sexy even on a 50" screen.
For some reason Double Dragon runs very slow, as does chase hq, though. Strange, considering stuff like Dodonpachi, Esp.ra.de, Sf3, Warzard etc. run flawlessly.

KtSlime

N.A said:

I like it, might I add that your template should have a version history and 'quirks' section, for instance genplus needs its config file edited to where the roms are stored if not in the default place.

This will be good. :D

N.A

Banned
eso76 said:

[ /IMG]http://i.imgur.com/jqMat.png[ /IMG]

This is awesome, thanks! Would it be possible for you to make the changes you suggested? I only have gimp installed on this computer and I'm terrible with it. I also posted the wrong required size. It just needs to be 135 px in width, height doesn't matter.

N.A

Banned
ivedoneyourmom said:
I like it, might I add that your template should have a version history and 'quirks' section, for instance genplus needs its config file edited to where the roms are stored if not in the default place.

This will be good. :D

Thanks, I'm still working on what stuff to include. I aim to have a full configuration guide for setting up rom paths etc. for every emulator. At the moment though I'm just essentially copy & pasting the info the authors provided.

cyberheater

eso76 said:
fba next is fine too and crt filter looks very good (although scanlines get slightly messed up with aspect ratio, hope they can fix that) and runs most stuff fullspeed.
Looks 100 times better than xbox1 emus on hdtv's, and menages to make old games look rather authentic and sexy even on a 50" screen.
For some reason Double Dragon runs very slow, as does chase hq, though. Strange, considering stuff like Dodonpachi, Esp.ra.de, Sf3, Warzard etc. run flawlessly.

Yeah. I went through all the shaded options but picked CRT as it looked the most authentic. The under/overscan is a neat addition. Really helps to get everything looking perfect. I'm looking forward to trying out some snes classics on my projector later on :D

MMaRsu

Banned
Laurent said:
Wow, this was easier than I thought! But I can't get the MAME ROMs to be detected, even by putting them in a directory named FBANext-ROMS on my USB key…

I'm having the same problem :(

MMaRsu

Banned
Dani said:

The hell? I don't advocate piracy either but you've opened the gates and now you want to close them or funnel them?

eso76

N.A said:
This is awesome, thanks! Would it be possible for you to make the changes you suggested? I only have gimp installed on this computer and I'm terrible with it. I also posted the wrong required size. It just needs to be 135 px in width, height doesn't matter.

sure, nothing too sexy but i liked the idea of the 'open' ps home logo

also, the horizontal layout was probably better, but there's no way to keep that in the 135 width.

here you are

200 %
Xua4f.png

100 %
7ldWO.png

wait, the logo is too close to the upper part of the background, didn't see that.
please, use this one instead

e0H58.png

UQuMz.png

test_account

XP-39C²
MMaRsu said:
The hell? I don't advocate piracy either but you've opened the gates and now you want to close them or funnel them?
I guess that he wanted to stop piracy as much as possible while still allowing much homebrew. But i think that someone alreay added peak and poke to firmware 3.55, so i dont think that it matters much what Geohot does. I mean, if Geohot doesnt add it in the PS3 CFW, then someone else probably will do it instead.

MMaRsu

Banned
test_account said:
I guess he wanted to stop piracy as much as possible while still allowing much homebrew. But i think that someone alreay added peak and poke to firmware 3.55, so i dont think that it matters much what Geohot does. I mean, if Geohot doesnt do it, then someone else probably will.

Exactly, other custom firmware could be run either way.

MMaRsu

Banned
sajj316 said:
Is there a better way to modify the FBA XML file? I know about FTP but would rather not go through the hassle of bridging my ps3 to the pc.

I tried copying the FBANext directory to a usb and then edit the XML from my laptop but the directory didn't even show up on the USB strangely enough.

N.A

Banned
sajj316 said:
Is there a better way to modify the FBA XML file? I know about FTP but would rather not go through the hassle of bridging my ps3 to the pc.

Here is a couple of pre-edited FBA XML files (right-click, save as..).

This one looks in dev_usb000/FBAroms/ (external drive): http://pshomebrew.net/downloads/USBfbanext-ps3.xml

This one looks in dev_hdd0/FBAroms/ : http://pshomebrew.net/downloads/HDDfbanext-ps3.xml

Just remove either USB or HDD from the file name then transfer to /dev_hdd0/game/FBAN00000/USRDIR/ via FTP or via a external drive using Comgenie's Awesome File Manager (link in OP)

sajj316

N.A said:
Here is a couple of pre-edited FBA XML files (right-click, save as..).

This one looks in dev_usb000/FBAroms/ (external drive): http://pshomebrew.net/downloads/USBfbanext-ps3.xml

This one looks in dev_hdd0/FBAroms/ : http://pshomebrew.net/downloads/HDDfbanext-ps3.xml

Just remove either USB or HDD from the file name then transfer to /dev_hdd0/game/FBAN00000/USRDIR/ via FTP or via a external drive using Comgenie's Awesome File Manager (link in OP)
100 thanks yous!!

Wiki is turning out well. Should link those files in the FBA Next wiki.

Btw, not sure if I'm doing this right but I had no issue copying to devhd but any copy from devhd would not work (sd cards and external hds). This is using awesome file manager.

N.A

Banned
sajj316 said:
100 thanks yous!!

Wiki is turning out well. Should link those files in the FBA Next wiki.

Btw, not sure if I'm doing this right but I had no issue copying to devhd but any copy from devhd would not work (sd cards and external hds). This is using awesome file manager.

Did you press select to turn on advanced mode? You can only copy to certain pre-allowed folders if you didn't.

Geohot you little fuck. Seriously, what a pathetic thing to do, yet unsurprising coming from him. Just the juvenile thing I'd expect. At least his deception only lasted a few days. :lol

sajj316

N.A said:
Did you press select to turn on advanced mode? You can only copy to certain pre-allowed folders if you didn't.
Yes, advance mode (Red back drop). What was weird is that I see the prompt that says copied after hitting O and start. I see it in the directory structure of the sd card and USB drive. When I plug the sd card or USB drive to the computer, it is not there.

N.A

Banned
I know your problem with files on external drives now.

Help, My files i copied to the external drive are not visible on my pc?

The files are marked as system files, which windows default hides. Go to Tools > Folder options and disable the following option: Hide protected operation system files.

Jal said:
Just to point out a mistake, over the fba-next download it says snes9x.

Thanks, fixed!

N.A

Banned
sajj316 said:
Ugh ... I did that last night (maybe I didn't hit apply). If so self dope slap.

Thanks again

You'll also need to enable "Show hidden files and folders" or the files still won't display (added to wiki).

Top Bottom