• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation 3 CFW & Homebrew Technical Help Thread -- morality arguments elsewhere

eso76 said:
heh, quick stab, but there's some symbology to it :)

jqMat.png

didn't read the required size, but i think removing the text and leaving the open 'ps home' logo could work :)

look, it even has the 'web2.0 reflection' !!1 so i guess it meets all modern design canons

Fantastic job! Would you be for creating a banner for this thread?

Erasus

Backups are on the way, apparently.

http://psx-scene.com/forums/667538-post1295.html

This was not working before, he got it running from the XMB, even updated it from Sonys servers.

POP TFS didn't work for anyone. Don't confuse it with the new POP-Trilogy 3D. That one is an old title (like Assassin's Creed I). Now I'll check if AC-1 works the same way, too

POP TFS - even asked for internet update to the latest version Installed its HDD data and is up and running.

http://psx-scene.com/forums/667557-post1302.html

Ripping games is godly for me and my minimalistic room layout.

If it happens, I am already buying a old bedchest from a friend to store games in the attic :D

N.A

Banned
The backup method that deank is showing is just a better organized version of the method that has been around for a few days that involves hex editing the path of the files to point to the HDD. The only way this will be really useful is if there is an automated process that does it and the compatibility is much improved (it's much lower than the old method).

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
N.A said:
The backup method that deank is showing is just a better organized version of the method that has been around for a few days that involves hex editing the path of the files to point to the HDD. The only way this will be really useful is if there is an automated process that does it and the compatibility is much improved (it's much lower than the old method).

But the current method just looks much nicer. I wish we get a better automated version of it with about the same compatibility as the older backupmanagers.

I think Geohot is sucking up to Sony, angling for a job. :lol

He's wearing a white hat for them and also showing them ways they could have added additional layers of security.

Wazzim

Banned
DoctorWho said:
+ Being able to run my copy of SSFIV straight from the HDD is godly.
- My punk ass being too afraid to take my PS3 online means I can't play SSFIV online.
About that going online, how do we know that the PS3 sends a "latest games played report" and how long is it?
I don't really care for online so just played some FFVI on my ps3 while being online (OFW), it was pretty cool to see it running on the background while browsing ingame xmb.

Fjolle

Beer Monkey said:
I think Geohot is sucking up to Sony, angling for a job. :lol

He's wearing a white hat for them and also showing them ways they could have added additional layers of security.
Did geohot actually put in whatever stops them from poking around in the lv2?

I read the quotes as he says that it's bad, and he tells people to make their programs work without poking. But i must have missed where he says that it's his fault that it doesn't work.

Fjolle said:

I read the quotes as he says that it's bad, and he tells people to make their programs work without poking. But i must have missed where he says that it's his fault that it doesn't work.

From IRC:

< @geohot> my anti lv2 patching isn’t just anti piracy

angelfly

Fjolle said:

People for some reason what concluded that from him saying:

Which I took as him saying that his stance against patching lv2 wasn't just to prevent piracy but because it wouldn't work. 3.55 includes some sort of memory protection and people are unable to get peek and poke working so naturally they assume it couldn't be Sony's doing.

Didn't he say earlier that trying to patch lv2 basically bricks your console? He might just be trying to prevent that from happening so the dev scene can work on other projects for now instead of having a bunch of bricked PS3s they can't work on.

Fjolle

Beer Monkey said:
From IRC:

Oh... I totally missed that quote o.0

But.. Without any further context couldn't it be interpreted as he is personally against people patching the lv2, not just because it is used for piracy but because it's ugly, instead of "he has actively patched the lv2 to be borken"?

But if it gives him a stiff to be fucking around with pirates for a couple of days then let him have his fun.

E: Yea, Angel said the same thing.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'm sure I read somewhere that OFW 3.55 introduced write protection on lv2, which is why everybody is having trouble with it. If so, Geohot's comment is being both misunderstood and blown out of proportion.

People shouldn't complain about anything that Geohot has done since you can still go back to vanilla 3.55.

Wazzim said:
Whatever it is, I hope that prevents people from pirating on it. It's fine as it is now, homebrew only.

Backup functionality is going to happen, and of course Geohot realizes this.

Now that the keys are out, there are no circimventions that can't be reversed engineered and removed.

Mr_Brit

Banned
angelfly said:
People for some reason what concluded that from him saying:

Which I took as him saying that his stance against patching lv2 wasn't just to prevent piracy but because it wouldn't work. 3.55 includes some sort of memory protection and people are unable to get peek and poke working so naturally they assume it couldn't be Sony's doing.
Speculation is that Geohot has intentionally crippled his CFW so we can't run backup managers. Some think he's doing it to impress hardware companies so they'll give him a job.

Mr_Brit said:
Speculation is that Geohot has intentionally crippled his CFW so we can't run backup managers. Some think he's doing it to impress hardware companies so they'll give him a job.

He's already told the big 3 that he'd like a job.

Sophia

Beer Monkey said:
People shouldn't complain about anything that Geohot has done since you can still go back to vanilla 3.55.

Speaking of which, it would be nice if either the original post or the eventual wiki had a guide to go back to Vanilla 3.55.

*coughcough*

Hanmik

Wazzim said:
Whatever it is, I hope that prevents people from pirating on it. It's fine as it is now, homebrew only.

read some news on gamesradar about Castlevania being hacked allready.. they made the PS3 install it like a PSN game..

so the damage is done.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Marrshu said:
Speaking of which, it would be nice if either the original post or the eventual wiki had a guide to go back to Vanilla 3.55.

*coughcough*

Just install OFW 3.55 again.

Wazzim

Banned
Hanmik said:
read some news on gamesradar about Castlevania being hacked allready.. they made the PS3 install it like a PSN game..

so the damage is done.
Lame, I hope Sony blocks PSN for people not up to date on FW and release 3.6

angelfly

N.A said:
Deleting folders isn't really necessary especially if you plan on using homebrew once you switch to OFW.
Phatcorns said:
That's funny because I was just about to ask how to do this, BUT it's not working for me.

First off, I'm sure I'm still on 3.55 jailbreak CFW, but the system settings say I am on 3.55 vanilla. And when I try to install the update from my USB drive, it says no applicable update data found. Any tips?
Update from the recovery menu

N.A

Banned
Phatcorns said:
That's funny because I was just about to ask how to do this, BUT it's not working for me.

First off, I'm sure I'm still on 3.55 jailbreak CFW, but the system settings say I am on 3.55 vanilla. And when I try to install the update from my USB drive, it says no applicable update data found. Any tips?

Recovery menu should work.

1. Make sure the PS3 is turned off,
2. Press and hold the power button on the PS3 it will power on then power off.
3. When it's off press and hold the power button again until you hear two consecutive beeps.
4. It will ask for the controller to be connected via the USB cable,
5. Turn on the controller and you will have access to the menu.

Let me know if it does and I'll add it to the wiki.

N.A

Banned
angelfly said:
Deleting folders isn't really necessary especially if you plan on using homebrew once you switch to OFW.

Update from the recovery menu

I was assuming this was for removing all evidence after people were worried about banning. I'll edit it to show how to go back to OFW and keep homebrew.

I was able to revert to 3.55 vanilla simply by doing a regular system update. My stick has directories for both JB and vanilla, and I rename them based on which one I want to install.

I wonder why system update doesn't work for some people.

Laurent

Beer Monkey said:
I was able to revert to 3.55 vanilla simply by doing a regular system update. My stick has directories for both JB and vanilla, and I rename them based on which one I want to install.

I wonder why system update doesn't work for some people.
You want to make sure that your USB is FAT-32? I wasn't aware of it, so I updated using a SD Card, but I then tried to format my USB key as FAT-32 since it seems impossible to install custom packages from SD cards.

Phatcorns

N.A said:
Service mode should work.

1. Make sure the PS3 is turned off,
2. Press and hold the power button on the PS3 it will power on then power off.
3. When it's off press and hold the power button again until you hear two consecutive beeps.
4. It will ask for the controller to be connected via the USB cable,
5. Turn on the controller and you will have access to the menu.

Let me know if it does and I'll add it to the wiki.

Thanks very much guys, that worked.

And yeah, I'm not sure why it didn't work from the XMB system update option.

fubarduck

Wow, I really want to try out 3rd Strike on this but FBA Next has the most horrible default button layout ever with no way to change it.

In the meantime, anyone know if I can program a custom layout into the XML config?

N.A

Banned
Looks like graf_chokolo (one of the best PS3 hackers of the past few months) has helped flukes1 with peek/poke.

<netkas> flukes1, !!!!
<flukes1> what
<netkas> i got smth interesting from graf_chokolo
<flukes1> he on irc?
<netkas> You don't need lv1 peek and poke, i do not use lv1 peek and poke, i just map HV memory address into GameOS LPAR with read/write rights. I used lv1_undocumented_:function_114, just one byte must be patched in this HV call and after that you can use it to map any memory address into GameOS LPAR with Read/Write protection.
<netkas> Look at my HV reversing page, i explaided there how to use this HV call.
<netkas> no, email
<c0de90e7> :0 chokolo ftw !
<flukes1> interesting
<netkas> flukes1, does ur pm works atm
<netkas> ?
<flukes1> yes
<repmovsb> mmh sounds like a good approach
<repmovsb> patch this function
<flukes1> yep
<flukes1> we're waiting for him to reply
<flukes1> soon as I know where lv1_undocumented_function_114 is, i can patch and make a pup
<c0de90e7> flukes1: netkas: all this fights will not only give us lv2 access or lv1 access, it will pay off far more in the future for future fw patching... for sure
<netkas> lv1 access too
<repmovsb> i'll also try to find it
<repmovsb> if only this fuking machine would be faster
<flukes1> 0x2D5990
<repmovsb> working on my laptop
<flukes1> patching lv1 as we speak
<repmovsb> should have moved to big machine
<flukes1> pup will be ready shortly
<repmovsb> on 355?
<flukes1> yup
<flukes1> graf helped us
<c0de90e7> :)) exciting moments
<repmovsb> flukes1: so you're patching 2d5a47 from 00 to 01?
<repmovsb> that's what i would do according to chokolos description
<repmovsb> guys keep me in the loop :D
<repmovsb> patch 2d5a47 from 00 to 01?
<flukes1> yeah sorry mate
<flukes1> patch is done

fubarduck

Looks like FBANext has had button-mapping capabilities since SVN 384. They're on SVN 386 now.

Anyone want to sign the newest version of FBANext so we can map buttons? :)

N.A

Banned
Snes9x New version:

http://www.multiupload.com/ZAZ2SHJP56
Build 4.4.3 (11-01-2011)
------------------------
- Autodetection of Super Scope/Mouse/Multitap had a bug in it - after you
loaded a Super Scope/mouse game and then tried to load a multitap-compatible
game, the game would attempt to hook up the Mouse/Scope instead due to an error
in a switch/case statement. Fixed this.

Autodetection now works as expected. Please upgrade to 4.4.3 as soon as possible
to avoid inconvenient problems.

sajj316

Keyser Soze said:
I am scared to update FBA in case I get hit with those awful problems again :/

Thanks for the links though

Thankfully N.A. posted a link to an xml file that sets the path to USB. Hopefully this will not cause configuration issues in the event the xml file gets updated for future FBA-Next versions. Cross fingers ..

Sophia

Keyser Soze said:
I am scared to update FBA in case I get hit with those awful problems again :/

Thanks for the links though

I'm using the signed one N.A just linked right now. Apparently, that version has it's own folder for roms.

EDIT: Oh dear, FBA Next goes off the screen on an SDTV. :lol

sajj316

Marrshu said:
I'm using the signed one N.A just linked right now. Apparently, that version has it's own folder for roms.

EDIT: Oh dear, FBA Next goes off the screen on an SDTV. :lol

Needless to say the dev team could have done a better job with configuration. For accessibility it would make sense to load from USB and use that as the default path. I get that loading from HD is faster but how much faster could it be?

Sophia

sajj316 said:
I get that loading from HD is faster but how much faster could it be?

0.54 seconds? I dunno, I don't think games of this size are going to take that long no matter where you put it. :lol

wtb screen config options.

Top Bottom