• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation 3 CFW & Homebrew Technical Help Thread -- morality arguments elsewhere

KAL2006

Banned
-viper- said:
They all sound crap except unlocked saves, MKV video playback support and NTFS hard drive support.

ISOloader sounds pretty interesting too.

I think I'll subscribe to the thread and wait for the inevitable NTFS/MKV playback support. That would be golden.

I would love to be able to use 360 controller as I prefer it than PS3 controller
An in game txt reader would be great for GameFAQ guides
YouTube/Hulu app would turn my PS3 into full on entertainment centre, I can spend hours on YouTube, doing it easily on a TV would be great
Better and faster web browser would also be great (maybe add Move/Wii controller support for pointing)

BigNastyCurve said:
You don't go back to OFW. You use the newly-added "Install PKG files" option that's on your games XMB menu to install homebrew. No one knows what sony will do, but they never banned for PSP cfw.

Correct. I guess my question was, after getting the install option on the XMB, is it possible to go back to OFW while still having the install option and retaining your homebrew?

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
It's like a dream. :D
rONmcl.jpg

Sophia

MMaRsu said:
How easy is it to go back to OFW?

Apparently, you just reinstall 3.55 is what someone said in the other thread.

FBA emulator apparently doesn't read off the USB drive? Huh...

KAL2006 said:
I would love to be able to use 360 controller as I prefer it than PS3 controller
YouTube/Hulu app would turn my PS3 into full on entertainment centre, I can spend hours on YouTube, doing it easily on a TV would be great
Better and faster web browser would also be great (maybe add Move/Wii controller support for pointing)
I think the PS3 would need some sort of XID driver, since the 360 pad isn't a HID device.

jamaniek

Marrshu said:
Apparently, you just reinstall 3.55 is what someone said in the other thread.

FBA emulator apparently doesn't read off the USB drive? Huh...
I'll try to do it in a second. Let you know.

-viper-

Banned
KAL2006 said:
And what are you going to use for typing? The shitty 'pretend keyboard' interface? :\

Honestly, the old 8bit games on the PS3 sounds so stupid. You can do that on the PC. On ANY PC. Why go through the trouble of CFW just for playing 8 bit games? Heh.

Borman

-viper- said:
And what are you going to use for typing? The shitty 'pretend keyboard' interface? :\

Honestly, the old 8bit games on the PS3 sounds so stupid. You can do that on the PC. On ANY PC. Why go through the trouble of CFW just for playing 8 bit games? Heh.

USB keyboard?

-viper- said:

you sound quite annoyed

So I'm new to this whole homebrew stuff, but let me see if I got this straight...

• In order to install any custom apps, I'd first need to install custom firmware?
  • Since the apps will be officially signed, once they're installed, I can then revert back to official firmware and still use them? And it'd then be safe to sign into PSN when not using them?
  • Things like .mkv support will only be available through custom firmware as opposed to just being an app, so I'd have to stick with custom firmware and sacrifice PSN access to attain such features?

Does that sound about right?

Also, assuming features like .mkv support and PS2 BC are eventually implemented in some fashion, even if support for the latter is iffy at best, could this spur Sony to finally release official firmware that supports such features? We know they've at least been working on PS2 BC, and .mkv support has already made its way into other Sony hardware, so I wouldn't be surprised if the firmware team has messed around with it in the past.

In order to keep more people from dipping their toes into homebrew, you'd think they'd want to make the more popular of these features available via regular ps3s if possible, right? Though I don't really know how things went for the PSP in this area, so I'm not sure how I should expect Sony to react.

Borman

People should assume that once you install anything custom, that you will be banned eventually upon signing onto PSN, until proven otherwise. The PS3 keeps some logs of what you've played recently, and its unclear if Sony will do anything about it.

darkwing

makingmusic476 said:
So I'm new to this whole homebrew stuff, but let me see if I got this straight...

• In order to install any custom apps, I'd first need to install custom firmware?
  • Since the apps will be officially signed, once they're installed, I can then revert back to official firmware and still use them? And it'd then be safe to sign into PSN when not using them?
  • Things like .mkv support will only be available through custom firmware as opposed to just being an app, so I'd have to stick with custom firmware and sacrifice PSN access to attain such features?

Does that sound about right?

Also, assuming features like .mkv support and PS2 BC are eventually implemented in some fashion, even if support for the latter is iffy at best, could this spur Sony to finally release official firmware that supports such features? We know they've at least been working on PS2 BC, and .mkv support has already made its way into other Sony hardware, so I wouldn't be surprised if the firmware team has messed around with it in the past.

In order to keep more people from dipping their toes into homebrew, you'd think they'd want to make the more popular of these features available via regular ps3s if possible, right? Though I don't really know how things went for the PSP in this area, so I'm not sure how I should expect Sony to react.

don't know about the PS2 BC because you would need the GS chip thingy, but yes you can go back to OFW and still have your homebrews working

angelfly

makingmusic476 said:

1) correct
2) correct
3) correct unless it comes in the form of an app such as a port of mplayer

KtSlime

-viper- said:

We get it, it's not your thing, that's fine. Now why are you coming into the thread to tell us that? Be happy people are happy they can do what they want to do. Geeze

Damn.

Now to go CFW or not.

Would be awesome if they set up something similar to what DA did for the M33 PSP. Have it download the latest CFW when you go to Update via Network. It was so awesome downloading CFW update on the PSP the same way.

testu.gif

FamousMassacre, has released a Windows GUI, for Geohot's recently released tool, finalize_package. For those of you trying to use Geohot's tools, this Windows GUI should make easy work it. The GUI is a front end for finalize_package, which allows you to sign your own retail package files.

Here

Weenerz

Banned
Seeing this much potential makes me want to re-purchase a PS3, ugh. I'm trying to save up for a big down payment on a car, damn you!

cacildo

I go out for 24 hours and everything blew up in that time.

Great job on the OP. Incredibly organized, all the info in a single place. That´s a rare sight!

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
mr_nothin said:
Really?
THIS is what's making you want to jailbreak your PS3? A rom on an emulator? You can run this game on just about anything (and probably with better performance too) so I dont get why it would be the breaking point for you.
Dude, it was a moment of sheer joy for seeing, totally unexpectedly, one of my favorite Capcom games ever pop up. I'm not doing it for that, of course, and I'll probably just wait.

Zeal

Banned
i know this is a rhetorical question, but....what the hell is sony gonna do.

i mean, seriously, just damn. it's like a 50 megaton nuke going off in their faces.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Zeal said:
i know this is a rhetorical question, but....what the hell is sony gonna do.

i mean, seriously, just damn. it's like a 50 megaton nuke going off in their faces.
Updates gallore.

KtSlime

Weenerz said:
Seeing this much potential makes me want to re-purchase a PS3, ugh. I'm trying to save up for a big down payment on a car, damn you!

PS3s are better for the environment... You'd be saving the world. :D

Top Bottom