• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation 3 CFW & Homebrew Technical Help Thread -- morality arguments elsewhere

MMaRsu

Banned
Why won't my Ps3 recognize my USB stick? Well it's not really a stick it's a USB flash drive ( mp3 player ) but I formatted it in FAT32. It's hooked up to a small usb cable and that goes into my Ps3.

My pc sees it just fine, it pops up right away.. :( ?

jamaniek

Zeal said:
i know this is a rhetorical question, but....what the hell is sony gonna do.

i mean, seriously, just damn. it's like a 50 megaton nuke going off in their faces.
I imagine that a suicide rate will increase dramatically in Sony's department really soon. :lol

Crisis

Banned
If tomorrow, Sony put out an official firmware that gave you cross-game voice chat and/or party chat across all games for free, but you had to give up the CFW in exchange for the official one and couldn't get it anymore, would you?

Tmac said:
I have a feeling of "history in the making" reading that thread.

Agreed. I wasn't around for the birth of Dreamcast or Xbox homebrew. I was around for the PSP hayday but this seems to eclipse that 10fold.

Crisis said:
If tomorrow, Sony put out an official firmware that gave you cross-game voice chat and/or party chat across all games for free, but you had to give up the CFW in exchange for the official one and couldn't get it anymore, would you?

No. I couldn't care less about those features tbh. The only game I really care about going online for is Warhawk and the eventual Starhawk (please please please). I figure by the time it DOES arrive, I'll have another PS3 anyhow.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
LovingSteam said:
Agreed. I wasn't around for the birth of Dreamcast or Xbox homebrew. I was around for the PSP hayday but this seems to eclipse that 10fold.
The PS3 being powerful helps.

angelfly

H_Prestige said:
The big question is how to play those games online.
Doing that is no different than direct booting from a signed backup manager which as I said in the other thread works with less than 10% of PS3 games

Crisis said:

Why would you when CFW could possibly enable it in the future? It's usually always better to wait.

itxaka

Defeatist
LovingSteam said:

Xbox was where it was at. Videos of 2 guys with a bill gates mask showing cd-r games running. The independence day exploit which was announced and then released on, well, independence day. Bunny uploading documents about the xbox security and hours later getting calls from Microsoft directly and having to remove them.

Those were the good times :lol

Dabanton

LiquidMetal14 said:
Would consider a secondary unit for some of the homebrew.

Same here i'm going to wait and see what Sony's reaction is to some of this first.

If they can't 'detect' you using homebrew stuff then i'll take the risk of using it on my primary.

Crisis said:

Well i 'd see it as an outrage that they could suddenly implement a feature people have been waiting forever for.

itxaka said:
Xbox was where it was at. Videos of 2 guys with a bill gates mask showing cd-r games running. The independence day exploit which was announced and then released on, well, independence day. Bunny uploading documents about the xbox security and hours later getting calls from Microsoft directly and having to remove them.

Those were the good times :lol

LOL. Man oh man. I remember the first time I experienced homebrew and emulators on my PSP. Playing Link to the Past and Rygar on my PSP caused my head to explode while tears of joy while a tidal wave of childhood memories crashed over me. Besides that the release of the Pandora battery files was the most significant and lulz worthy moment.

darkwing

I NEED SCISSORS said:
I've been wondering - I game share on PSN, so if I get banned, will all accounts associated with my console also get banned?

if the PSN account is banned, then all game shared games under that account won't run anymore (if you go online)

MMaRsu

Banned
MMaRsu said:
Why won't my Ps3 recognize my USB stick? Well it's not really a stick it's a USB flash drive ( mp3 player ) but I formatted it in FAT32. It's hooked up to a small usb cable and that goes into my Ps3.

My pc sees it just fine, it pops up right away.. :( ?

Anybody? Do I have to format the drive through Ps3 in some sort of hidden menu? I know for sure it's connected since the light stays on. At the very least it's getting power from the Ps3.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
InfiniteNine said:
It's like a dream. :D
rONmcl.jpg
Thats EXACTLY what I wanted to see today :D

darkwing said:
if the PSN account is banned, then all game shared games under that account won't run anymore (if you go online)

I know but what I mean is this:

I am user X on console 1
My friend is user Y - I share with him
I have his account stored on console 1 to share games
If user X is banned on console 1, will user Y also be banned (because his account details are also stored on it)?

test_account

XP-39C²
MMaRsu said:
Anybody? Do I have to format the drive through Ps3 in some sort of hidden menu? I know for sure it's connected since the light stays on. At the very least it's getting power from the Ps3.
No, as long as it's FAT32 it should work, you dont need to this through the PS3. Sounds to me like the PS3 doesnt want to detect your MP3 player as a standard USB stick.

MMaRsu said:

Is it FAT32? Make sure it is. If it's a slim make sure it's in the left USB slot. That's how I was able to get it to read.

darkwing

I NEED SCISSORS said:

I am user X on console 1
If user X is banned on console 1, will user Y also be banned (because his account details are also stored on it)?

only user X is banned, unless its a console ban, we have seen this happen with the bogus PSN load thingy before

MMaRsu

Banned
BigNastyCurve said:
Is it FAT32? Make sure it is. If it's a slim make sure it's in the left USB slot. That's how I was able to get it to read.

Yeah it's FAT32.. I just formatted it just for this lol

jamaniek

I NEED SCISSORS said:

I am user X on console 1
I depends on what account you're logged on at the time when Sony catches you. Who knows...

darkwing said:
only user X is banned, unless its a console ban, we have seen this happen with the bogus PSN load thingy before

Right, that's good. I will not be game sharing now anyway so I may as well deactivate and delete his account.

Once all my homebrew is installed and I move back to OFW (since it still works), is staying off PSN completely still the best idea?

darkwing

I NEED SCISSORS said:
Right, that's good. I will not be game sharing now anyway so I may as well deactivate and delete his account.

Once all my homebrew is installed and I move back to OFW (since it still works), is staying off PSN completely still the best idea?

Sony can't do anything if you are offline

KAL2006

Banned
People are already playing backups, I seen this on PSX Scene forums

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow (BLES01047) signed&packed EBOOT (33.5MB)

1) Install PKG file.
2) Transfer contents of USRDIR folder, EXCEPT EBOOT.BIN, to /devhdd0/game/BLES01047/USRDIR/

Thats all! Tested! The game will work from XMB on retail nonJB 3.41, 3.55 and future versions.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
This is sightly exciting...

I... wow... may have to try it like I did with the Wii before.

I just want access to PSN to buy the Castlevania DLC =(. If they ban me I'll be pissed. Decisions decisions...

itxaka

Defeatist
yeah, one advice for people interested in developing something.

If you suddenly develop an interest in psl1gth and want to check the examples and maybe compile something to test it you gotta be advised that you need first to compile GCC. The whole 70Mb of source code. Yes. So it's not just installing a couple of libraries and psl1gth.

What a pain in the ass. Stupid ps3toolchain :lol

darkwing said:

Excellent. If I do want to play online, i'll switch to OFW. And I assume HDD scans are illegal. Hell, I even have £16 of PSN credit with them that would be denied :lol

This could be pretty amazing. With both Wii and PSP I've found my enjoyment of the console increased dramatically by homebrew, even if it's just tinkering with the possibilities. Likes like things are moving fast on PS3. I'm tempted to buy another unit for this. I wouldn't like my risk my BC console...

darkwing

KAL2006 said:

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow (BLES01047) signed&packed EBOOT (33.5MB)

1) Install PKG file.
2) Transfer contents of USRDIR folder, EXCEPT EBOOT.BIN, to /devhdd0/game/BLES01047/USRDIR/

Thats all! Tested! The game will work from XMB on retail nonJB 3.41, 3.55 and future versions.

in theory it should work, now its proven

jamaniek

darkwing said:
Unless there's some kind of log on the PS3. I remember that on the 360 you got banned no matter if you go online or not. Although that was a bit different case, but still.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
KAL2006 said:

it's just so easy. copy file to USB > play.

That's got to be a major problem for Sony and it's partners.

Top Bottom