• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation 3 CFW & Homebrew Technical Help Thread -- morality arguments elsewhere

test_account said:
Out of curiousity, why is discless mode needed?
If your PS3's laser has died then with discless mode you can still play your games. You'll need to rip the games from a PS3 with a working laser but that's a one time only thing. I'm going to do this for a friend whose laser has failed: I'll install the CFW for him, rip all of his games to an external HDD using my PS3, and then copy the ripped games onto his internal HDD. Voila, he can once again play his PS3 games without needing to buy a new PS3 or pay to have his laser repaired.

Thinking about bailing out of this whole CFW thing until I see what sony's response is.

I don't use my PS3 really ever, even with this stuff. I find the emulators to be more useful on my PSPgo. Will check back in once sony has started bans or whatever they plan on doing.

Figure if it's going to sit there and collect dust until I get around to playing valkyria or a few other backlog games or watch a blu-ray i might as well have the option of being on PSN.

kinggroin

Banned
IMACOMPUTA said:
I need this! He goes on to say that it is even more stable than current versions.

My disc drive is pretty much dead, and running GT5 from the internal hdd has random lockups.

That's awesome to hear, the best of both worlds

squicken

SS4Gogita said:
Going through the stuttering problem thread linked to earlier, it seems that most people are having problems with the WD BPVT model hard drives, while finding success with the BEVT ones. The Seagate Momentus series also seems to be a good choice, along with some of the Samsung Spinpoints.

Since I can get it with my Prime account, I'm personally gong to try the WD6400BEVT.

While we're at it though, an HDD Compatibility list should probably be added to the wiki.

Thanks for this post. I was scouring newegg and amazon product pages and it seemed like there was no consensus on which HDD to go with. Assuming external HDDs get 100% compatibility, is there any performance benefit to going internal? Even though they are cheap, I've got plenty of old 3.5" I can use for loads of storage.

dangrib

got my fatty up and running with backup managers. have a 160GB in there but want to go up to 500/640GB. can i just use the ps3 backup utility then put the drive in or is there some other business that has to be done?

Weenerz

Banned
Love how easy this was to set up. After formatting my flash drive, it took all of 2 minutes to get the thing updated and installed.

I got a 500gb 7200rpm 16mb cache Samsung spinpoint at Microcenter last week for $49.99. I don't experience any lag or stuttering in game cinemas.

Dambrosi

Banned
So, this is the moment we've all been waiting for - OFW 3.56 is out. What will happen?

Waiting until we know just what Sony did to it before doing anything, of course.

Chesskid1

Banned
i bet the IRC channels are poppin off right now. time to check in :D

we were just getting settled into kmeau3.55 too, it was such a nice time.

edit: KaKaRoTo is analyzing the .pup and as i type this in irc. they added a .self, with a new key.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
If you are on CFW, you can update to this latest OFW, but you will lose the ability to run Backup Managers and Homebrew. Repeat, it is safe, but you'll lose ALL homebrew functionality.

Chesskid1 said:
i bet the IRC channels are poppin off right now. time to check in :D

we were just getting settled into kmeau3.55 too, it was such a nice time.

edit: KaKaRoTo is analyzing the .pup and as i type this in irc. they adding a .self, with a new key.

LOL.

Ponn

Banned
Serious question. I went ahead and tried out CFW, totally disconnected my PS3 from internet and left it off while i've been playing around with it. If I go back to OFW 3.55 will I be cool still?

StuBurns

Banned
Ponn01 said:
Serious question. I went ahead and tried out CFW, totally disconnected my PS3 from internet and left it off while i've been playing around with it. If I go back to OFW 3.55 will I be cool still?
Probably.

I did install the altered firmware that allowed package installations, removed it the day after, and have updated fine, but maybe they'll get me later on.

Settings > Network Settings > Internet Connection Settings > OK > Custom > You Choose > Manual Settings > Auto > Auto > Do Not Set > Manual > Primary DNS = 67.202.81.137 Secondary DNS = 67.202.81.137 > Automatic > Do Not Use > Enable > X

dns trick supposedly works to keep access to psn for now.

Ponn01 said:

Use the EraseMe application first.

bathala

Banned
BoboBrazil said:
new 3.56 keys are already out, worthless update Sony...
happy0039.gif

that didn't take long

Dambrosi

Banned
BoboBrazil said:
Settings > Network Settings > Internet Connection Settings > OK > Custom > You Choose > Manual Settings > Auto > Auto > Do Not Set > Manual > Primary DNS = 67.202.81.137 Secondary DNS = 67.202.81.137 > Automatic > Do Not Use > Enable > X

dns trick supposedly works to keep access to psn for now.
Yep, working fine for me...for now.

Hopefully, kmeaw and the rest will find a way to save our homebrew so we can update. I needs me my Final Burn, man. :D

Speevy

Banned
3.57 update is released!

3.57 broken!

3.58 update is relea...

3.58 broken!

3.59 update i...

3.59 broken!

3.60 u...

3.60 broken!

3.BROKEN!

MMaRsu

Banned
BoboBrazil said:
new 3.56 keys are already out, worthless update Sony...

hahahah wtf..

Where did the smileys go by the way?

Also will it be easy to update to 3.56 CFW ? I guess it's hard to tell right now but still..

d0c_zaius

that makes not being able to play online because of this stupid slow updating even more frustrating

I'm seriously considering never buying a multiplatform game on PS3 again.

First day to play Dead Space 2 online, 1 hour update at 15%.

Sorry rant over.

Dambrosi

Banned
Shaneus said:
So what does that mean... if we upgrade to, say, 3.56CFW we'll have to get resigned apps? Ouch.

roffle
It should only be a matter of updating your old apps with the new versions, which I'm sure is a process those who use backup managers will be familiar with. :p No biggy.

Still, sticking with 3.55 kmeaw + DNS trick for now.

kpx0

Banned
anyone know when the next OFW update (4.0?) is planned? i want to wait for taht and see what happens before i jump onboard

Dambrosi

Banned
kpx0 said:
anyone know when the next OFW update (4.0?) is planned? i want to wait for taht and see what happens before i jump onboard
No idea, but to hazard a guess, possibly when Killzone 3 comes out...

...which is a month away. And the hackers will just get its keys too :D

LovingSteam said:
Homebrew haters are getting to be like those otaku fans of a manga called Kannagi, who protested too much when they found out that their pure and maidenly heroine might not be a virgin. No, I'm not kidding, here: *desperately tries to find a link that's not Sankaku Complex*

nagivirginro4.jpg

That's right luv, you tell 'em.

jsnepo

Dambrosi said:
It should only be a matter of updating your old apps with the new versions, which I'm sure is a process those who use backup managers will be familiar with. :p No biggy.

How do you do that DNS trick?

Shaneus

Dambrosi said:

Yeah, that's pretty much what I'll be doing... and given that I have a slim that I do all my "legit" stuff with, I have no problem in keeping the same CFW. Shit, I was on 3.41 up until mid-last week.

Does mean that shit will get messy with apps having to be released as 3.41, 3.55 AND 3.56 versions :/

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Say I want to go online to buy Costume Quest off PSN....will there be a CFW fix that let's me do that? Or is that window closed...

mattiewheels said:
Say I want to go online to buy Costume Quest off PSN....will there be a CFW fix that let's me do that? Or is that window closed...

Couldn't you try the DNS trick on the previous page?

And it's only a matter of days/hours before 3.56 kmeaw or whatever is out - even if the homebrew doesn't work, at least PSN access will return.

Top Bottom