• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation 3 CFW & Homebrew Technical Help Thread -- morality arguments elsewhere

Cruzader

Banned
LovingSteam said:
Sure but I wasn't sure if you were rooting for that.
Not really. Being sarcastic and little annoying at the "lol Sony" responses. We all know FW won't do crap and what the results will be posted on last page.

dangrib

sorry to ask again guys.

i have kmeaw running on my 160GB fatty. just want to know am i able to upgrade to a 500GB the standard way or does something else have to be done? will the hard drive backup utility on ps3 work with a drive full of homebrew?

Rich!

jamaniek said:
Will 3.56 delete "GAMES" folder? I just want to make sure. Copying all my games again would take at least 4h :/

I don't think Sony can do that. The consumers would have every right then to quote Ezekiel 25:17 and go medeveil on Sony's ass.

Weenerz

Banned
Anyone having issues with Blackbox FTP just randomly closing after a few minutes? Trying to transfer a bunch of stuff, but it stops right in the middle of it.

With the way this "hack" "security flaw" or whatever you want to call it works, will it ever be possible to have a separate hidden partition with a custom dashboard that allows for emulators, backup managers etc. and then be able to switch back to the official unmodified dashboard for when you want to go on PSN or get updates and so on?

Dambrosi

Banned
phosphor112 said:
So, what did 3.56 even do security wise? Maybe it's a cheap way to stealthy implant some code that makes sure data is sent over the net?
Well, first reports said that a key had changed and that's it, but they're probably checking for just such a hidden code, and that's probably why we don't have a 3.56 CFW already.

N.A

Banned
Apparently recovery mode has been removed.

As I've said before, whilst Sony can't completely lock people out they can make it very inconvenient to set up which would stop a lot of the casual users from bothering.

Dambrosi said:
Well, first reports said that a key had changed and that's it, but they're probably checking for just such a hidden code, and that's probably why we don't have a 3.56 CFW already.

A key?

or the key?

Cuz if they changed THE KEY, that wouldn't make sense... at all. I kinda want to look at all the code to see what exactly all the PS3 has coded in it, but I really don't care that much for it. =P I'd rather have someone else do the dirty work.

N.A said:

As I've said before, whilst Sony can't completely lock people out they can make it very inconvenient to set up which would stop a lot of the casual users from bothering.

Orly? Hmm. What was recovery mode used for in the homebrew scene?

jamaniek

richisawesome said:
I don't think Sony can do that. The consumers would have every right then to quote Ezekiel 25:17 and go medeveil on Sony's ass.
Right. Anyway, I've decided to stick to 3.55 CFW since DNS trick works for me too. :)

Rich!

N.A said:

Hm. I've never even touched recovery mode, and I had no issues setting up CFW.

Sophia

phosphor112 said:

Reinstalling official firmwares, fixing problems, and such. Basically, all they did was inconvenience real customers by removing it.

N.A

Banned
phosphor112 said:

Lots of people could only update through recovery mode as when trying from the XMB they got an error.

jamaniek

Marrshu said:
Reinstalling official firmwares, fixing problems, and such.
Fixing stuff could be the biggest issue for OFW users right now with this FW. I remember when my friend's slim broke right after buying it and recovery mode was the only way to fix it.

kitch9

Banned
d0c_zaius said:
that makes not being able to play online because of this stupid slow updating even more frustrating

I'm seriously considering never buying a multiplatform game on PS3 again.

First day to play Dead Space 2 online, 1 hour update at 15%.

Sorry rant over.

Takes me 2 minutes to update tops..... Get better internet I guess.

Sophia

jamaniek said:
Fixing stuff could be the biggest issue for OFW users right now with this FW. I remember when my friend's slim broke right after buying it and recovery mode was the only way to fix it.

I honestly don't know what they intend to do with removing it. I give it another week at most and we'll have custom 3.56 firmware with it restored. They are truly only inconveniencing their legit customers with this. Granted, they've been inconveniencing them since they removed PS2 emulation and other OS.

SenkiDala

The Backup Compatibility List is a great idea. I added KOF XII. :)

Anyway, in the list Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing it's said that the game is playable on internal but even internal it doesn't works for me, I just have a black screen with multiMAN 1.13 or Gaia 2.05. Any clue?

Also, when I updated multiMAN to the version 1.14 all games stopped to boot (all black screen), same when I updated Gaia in 2.06, why?

Oh and 2 other questions: How to see the games on internal with multiMAN? I dunno why but the software only shows me the games in the disc tray and the external drive?!
And when I deleted Gaia 2.06 to put back Gaia 2.05, all my internal games "disapeared" of the list, they have been deleted of the internal drive or just of the list? When I installed new games on the internal they appeared on the list, but the "disapeared games" were still not appearing.

Sorry for those questions but I searched all night last night and I didn't find any answer.

kitch9

Banned
Took them a month to remove recovery mode and change a key they knew would be found......

WTF? There must be a stealth update in there too....

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
conflicting reports...recovery NOT removed being said now...wait till the true story comes out.

it appears the reporting that recovery has been removed from 3.56 is FALSE.

Geting error 80028f14 when trying to run app_home/PS3_GAME with my backups of games that I own the originals of.

Running Gaia Manager 2.06 and multiMAN 1.14, doesn't matter which, I get the same error.

Yes I'm running the latest lv2 patcher. Yes, running syscall 25 patcher, yes running permissions fix.

Googling this message on the 'net shows lots of people having this problem and no solutions.

Danielsan

Beer Monkey said:
Geting error 80028f14 when trying to run app_home/PS3_GAME with my backups of games that I own the originals of.

Running Gaia Manager 2.06 and multiMAN 1.14, doesn't matter which, I get the same error.

Yes I'm running the latest lv2 patcher. Yes, running syscall 25 patcher, yes running permissions fix.

Googling this message on the 'net shows lots of people having this problem and no solutions.
Use a disc to boot up your back-ups?

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Beer Monkey said:

I had that problem last night.

Out of the blue it stopped working. I reflashed my ps3 to kneau 3.55 and only used MM 1.14.02 MEGA (or whatever th latest was)

and now it works fine.

not sure what happened the other day though.

Sophia

Tylahedras said:
I swear to god if they start putting serial codes on their games I will never buy another PS3 game again.

You know, if this is done right, it's not actually a bad concept per se. I doubt anyone has expectations of Sony to actually do it right.

N.A

Banned
Beer Monkey said:

Gaia 2.06 and multiMAN 1.14 both remove diskless loading. You must play with a disc in the drive and launch from the disc icon, not APP_HOME.

deank has already said that APP_HOME mounting will return in 1.14.01: http://psx-scene.com/forums/717956-post4865.html

Shaneus

Tylahedras said:
I swear to god if they start putting serial codes on their games I will never buy another PS3 game again.
They're going to put codes on games, but it's going to be the same code for every copy of every game ;)

I switched on the PS3, expecting to see new firmware prompt, and it logged in straight to PSN, showing my friends list and msgs etc. I tried to manually check for the update, and it said 'the latest version is already installed, no need to update'... weird.

I'm running kmeaw 3.55 CFW btw.

N.A

Banned
GraveRobberX said:
So 3.56 hacked this quickly, what the hell is Sony going to do?

Anyone who has already updated to 3.56 will have lots of trouble changing to CFW when it's released (new checks on update.pup's). Whilst hackers will eventually work out a 3.56 CFW firmware (as they can just patch the checks) most users won't be able to make use of it.

This update was probably just designed to get ~80% of users (~35 million consoles) on a firmware that can't be exploited via just a USB stick.

N.A

Banned

Shaneus

Wow, really seems like my fat has shit itself... XMB is painfully slow to load icons and MultiMAN is behaving very strangely.

jiggles

Banned
I didn't really use my homebrew, so I went back to OFW. Huh, the stuff I had installed doesn't boot anymore. I thought the whole point in signing this stuff with the discovered keys is that, failing a hardware modification, the PS3 will always think it's legit Sony code?

I don't care that I can't use the homebrew apps anymore, but I'm interested in how it knows.

Stike

Havent j/b'd my PS3 so far.

Since I like to have that as an option for the future: Is it safe to upgrade to 3.56 now and jb it some day later?

Just asking. Heard that with the hack the PS3 is wide open and cant be locked again with FW-Updates.

N.A

Banned
Stike said:
Havent j/b'd my PS3 so far.

Since I like to have that as an option for the future: Is it safe to upgrade to 3.56 now and jb it some day later?

Just asking. Heard that with the hack the PS3 is wide open and cant be locked again with FW-Updates.

Not confirmed safe yet. It's best to wait a couple of days if you want to be sure.

Top Bottom