• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation 3 CFW & Homebrew Technical Help Thread -- morality arguments elsewhere

Erebus

N.A said:
Not using this method, though they probably have data on everyone who has loaded homebrew whilst connected to PSN. (whether they would use it or allow people to go back to OFW is debatable)

If PSN is important to you, it's best to delete all homebrew, install 3.55 and then use the system update option on the XMB to upgrade to 3.56.

Everyone who wants homebrew and CFW should accept that permanent PSN access is now extremely unlikely (and always was tbh).
Honestly, I only care about the PSN store and the game updates. I haven't played any online multiplayer game on the PS3 for the last 6 months and I don't see that changing in the future.

DarkUSS said:
Honestly, I only care about the PSN store and the game updates. I haven't played any online multiplayer game on the PS3 for the last 6 months and I don't see that changing in the future.

I wouldn't mind it if they banned us from online play but left the store open.

N.A

Banned
S1kkZ said:
do you think the hackers will find a way to install cfw and homebrew on 3.56 systems?

It's possible, though new exploits would have to be found. Also downgrading is not possible on 3.56 (without hardware).

To summarize:
- 3.56 CFW will arrive eventually but will likely only be able to be installed on pre-3.56 PS3's.
- PSN access is extremely unlikely from now on.

N.A said:
It's possible, though new exploits would have to be found. Also downgrading is not possible on 3.56 (without hardware).

To summarize:
- 3.56 CFW will arrive eventually but will likely only be able to be installed on pre-3.56 PS3's.

I can't see anything preventing a fake "3.57" upgrade for 3.56 that is CFW.

N.A

Banned
Beer Monkey said:
I can't see anything preventing a fake "3.57" upgrade for 3.56 that is CFW.

They fixed the ECDSA signature bug. No more private keys. Older firmwares may be able to get get around this by patching checks and signing CFW 3.56 with old keys. If you are already on 3.56 or newer this won't work.

Ponn

Banned
N.A said:

To summarize:

This is why I hate the homebrew community. They get all in a frenzy and blow things out of proportions then start backtracking AFTER whipping everyone else up. "OMG Sony fail, PS3 and everything is hacked they are done for there is nothing Sony can do they are powerless, etc etc!!" It's the misleading and disingenious nature of people in the community that is just so incredibly off putting to me. And yes I know its entirely up to the individuals and on them CFW'ing their own machines but still its a shame there is a lack of culpability on anyone at all just a general "oh well".

N.A said:
To summarize:

Interesting. Lots of initial "LOL Sony, why even bother trying?!!" comments, but on closer inspection this OFW is rather more potent than you might expect.

N.A

Banned
Diablohead said:
So the leaked signing keys are pointless now? I thought the keys gave you the ability to sign packages no problem.

They are not pointless.

I'll try and some everything up (I'm no expert in this so I'll probably get a couple of things wrong).

- Geohot's signed homebrew always uses the same keypairing which Sony have now blacklisted. Another keypairing can be generated and any homebrew signed with this would work on vanilla 3.56 (you would have to install it on 3.55 though as NPDRM keys still haven't leaked). It's likely this will always be the case unless Sony creates a whitelist. However it is not practical as you would not be able to install new homebrew once you upgrade from 3.55.

- 3.56 fixes the ECDSA random number bug. Private keys can no longer be calculated. Public keys can still be found (and already have been).

Private keys = encrypt data
Public keys = decrypt data

The fact Sony fixed this makes no difference to people already on CFW or pre-3.56 OFW as they have everything they need to decrypt and encrypt with old keys.

Additionally fail0verflow's other exploit allowed all the loaders and revoke lists to be downgraded using hardware (very difficult). This cannot be patched by Sony so all PS3's can still use CFW (though it's very inconvenient for anyone on 3.56)

- Signed 3.56 CFW will only work with 3.55 or lower firmware because of the new keys.

- New PSN security means that it will very soon be secure even when 3.56 CFW arrives. (see my post on the last page)

What this means:
- All consoles on virgin 3.56 or higher can't install CFW or homebrew without a downgrade via hardware.
- Homebrew will run on 3.56 or newer once resigned with different keys (but you can only install homebrew on 3.55 or lower)
- CFW 3.56 will eventually arrive but will only be able to be installed on 3.55 or lower.

gtmax

So as long as i'm not 'signed' in, i'm good? I mean, will my ps3 detect my media server? That's all i care about really. I haven't even tried going online with my disc based GT5.

N.A said:
They fixed the ECDSA signature bug. No more private keys. Older firmwares may be able to get get around this by patching checks and signing CFW 3.56 with old keys. If you are already on 3.56 or newer this won't work.

I gotcha. No known way, currently, to sign a firmware that OFW 3.56 will recognize. Good move by Sony.

Hmm, wonder if I should pick up a spare slim. Does anybody know if the CECHMxx fats (65nm GPU, 65nm GPU) are substantially more reliable than the old 90nm (backwards compatible) fats?

gtmax said:
So as long as i'm not 'signed' in, i'm good? I mean, will my ps3 detect my media server? That's all i care about really. I haven't even tried going online with my disc based GT5.

PS3 phones home when you boot it even if you don't sign in.

Best to firewall out playstation.net.

PowderedToast

so is it too late to upgrade my HDD if i'm on CFW? i'm not sure how the process works, i'm worried that i'll be forced to upgrade firmware once i put a new HDD in and reboot, even if i've backed up a PS3 that's running on CFW.

PowderedToast said:
so is it too late to upgrade my HDD if i'm on CFW? i'm not sure how the process works, i'm worried that i'll be forced to upgrade firmware once i put a new HDD in and reboot, even if i've backed up a PS3 that's running on CFW.

You can upgrade your HDD if you are on CFW. Nothing in the process will make you go to 3.56.

You will lose the ability to run your legally purchased PSN games, though if you hurry you may be able to redownload the licenses using 3.55 and the DNS trick.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
no if you on older than 3.56 than download the offical 3.55 firmware from the net update to 3.55 than jailbreak it with current tools. Turn off automatic update and stay of PSN.

I am personally waiting a few months before I attempt this. I have a Backward compatible 500gb PS3 sitting here on the desk with 3.4x on it. I dont dare brick or get this one banned its worth money!

PowderedToast

thanks!

PS3 phones home when you boot it even if you don't sign in.

Best to firewall out playstation.net.

do you think there is anything to this, like whether sony can do anything with the data? or is firewalling them just a precaution?

jamaniek

Surprising move by Sony, I have to say. We were pretty much laughing at them and then...bang! Sony releases a FW update and we're screwed (at least for now).

jamaniek said:
Surprising move by Sony, I have to say. We were pretty much laughing at them and then...bang! Sony releases a FW update and we're screwed (at least for now).
Did people really think that they were going to be able to have CFW and keep PSN access? Seems a might naive to me.

3rdman

LOL 12 hours and everything is so black and white...Hackers are in too deep...they'll find a way. PSN access may be gone forever or it will simply be a cat and mouse game but it's too late for Sony to really secure themselves without a hardware revision.

jamaniek

Psychotext said:
Did people really think that they were going to be able to have CFW and keep PSN access? Seems a might naive to me.
It's not about PSN access. From what I understand it's now harder to make a new CFW and impossible to install it on 3.56 OFW without downgrading via hardware.

Sony is more clever than we thought.

kitch9

Banned
Zeal said:
sony basically told everyone to suck their dicks with this fw.

i'm impressed.

Yup, I wonder if the whole Geohot case is a front and they've really paid him a few million to tie their firmware up into knots for them.

Scene seems stumped at the minute.

jamaniek said:

I don't feel screwed. I didn't accept the 3.56 and I don't really care about PSN.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Wow reading this thread is just like the PSP Custom Firmware thread a couple years ago. Everytime a new update was released it was just a waiting game to get around it, everyone was happy for a month, then a new OFW Update, and then waiting game to get around it... download this patch, install this fix, etc.

Eventually on why I gave up on the whole thing. I hated having to wait an extra three or four weeks to play or download the newest games while waiting for a fix around certain things.

To go Custom Firmware you really have to go in with these things in mind, you'll always be doing "something" to keep your CFW up and working, you'll always be checking the Wiki or the threads for the newest developments. It's worth it to some...

Tiduz

Eurogaime
jamaniek said:

im not worried since i have 2 ps3s :)

so does that basically leave us in the same situation as the 3.44 "jailbreak" where its basically useless since you cant update your system?

N.A said:
They are not pointless.

I'll try and some everything up (I'm no expert in this so I'll probably get a couple of things wrong).

- Geohot's signed homebrew always uses the same keypairing which Sony have now blacklisted. Another keypairing can be generated and any homebrew signed with this would work on vanilla 3.56 (you would have to install it on 3.55 though as NPDRM keys still haven't leaked). It's likely this will always be the case unless Sony creates a whitelist. However it is not practical as you would not be able to install new homebrew once you upgrade from 3.55.

- 3.56 fixes the ECDSA random number bug. Private keys can no longer be calculated. Public keys can still be found (and already have been).

Private keys = encrypt data
Public keys = decrypt data

The fact Sony fixed this makes no difference to people already on CFW or pre-3.56 OFW as they have everything they need to decrypt and encrypt with old keys.

Additionally fail0verflow's other exploit allowed all the loaders and revoke lists to be downgraded using hardware (very difficult). This cannot be patched by Sony so all PS3's can still use CFW (though it's very inconvenient for anyone on 3.56)

- Signed 3.56 CFW will only work with 3.55 or lower firmware because of the new keys.

- New PSN security means that it will very soon be secure even when 3.56 CFW arrives. (see my post on the last page)

What this means:
- All consoles on virgin 3.56 or higher can't install CFW or homebrew without a downgrade via hardware.
- Homebrew will run on 3.56 or newer once resigned with different keys (but you can only install homebrew on 3.55 or lower)
- CFW 3.56 will eventually arrive but will only be able to be installed on 3.55 or lower.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
kitch9 said:
Yup, I wonder if the whole Geohot case is a front and they've really paid him a few million to tie their firmware up into knots for them.

Scene seems stumped at the minute.

We need :lol back.

http://twitter.com/#!/KaKaRoToKS
http://twitter.com/#!/Mathieulh

jamaniek said:
It's not about PSN access. From what I understand it's now harder to make a new CFW and impossible to install it on 3.56 OFW without downgrading via hardware.

Sony is more clever than we thought.
But we knew this was coming... they were always going to create a new private key for new games, and there was even a pretty good chance that they'd remove the ability to update via USB (which they haven't done, but easily could have).

As for the new CFW... why do you need one? No-one who wanted to keep their PS3 running on CFW would have been crazy enough to update to the new OFW. I'm just really struggling to work out why anyone is surprised at this stage. Well, at least those who have been following things anyway.

SuicideUZI said:
so does that basically leave us in the same situation as the 3.44 "jailbreak" where its basically useless since you cant update your system?

It depends on what you want to do. If you want to go on PSN, and want to play all new games on release date, you are going to have issues.

If you don't care about PSN and don't mind waiting for future CFW to catch up to OFW before playing hot new first party titles, you'll be fine.

test_account

XP-39C²
Speaking about PS3 firmware 3.56, when i installed Dead Space Extraction from my Dead Space 2 disc earlier, it asked me if i wanted to launch the game after the install was done. Is this something new? I cant remember to have been asked about this before at least.

Ecrofirt

Beer Monkey said:
It depends on what you want to do. If you want to go on PSN, and want to play all new games on release date, you are going to have issues.

If you don't care about PSN and don't mind waiting for future CFW to catch up to OFW before playing hot new first party titles, you'll be fine.

It's unfortunate for me, I guess.

I don't give a damn about PSN, but I would like to watch Netflix and Hulu without a problem.

linkboy

I took my PS3 offline a long time ago, before the hacks came out. Why, I never used PSN. The only things I've bought on PSN are PS1 games, which I can get through the computer or my PSP.

I'll use my 360 (and Wii) for Netflix since I have a 20GB PS3 and my router is an another part of the house.

Psychotext said:
I'm just really struggling to work out why anyone is surprised at this stage. Well, at least those who have been following things anyway.

People have been willfully ignorant.

The internet is full of people who've been saying "Sony can do nothing".. or "even if they do something the hackers will just get around it."

The MAIN use my PS3 get's is Netflix use.. so.. no CFW for me I guess.

*shrug*

I am contemplating ordering a PS3 right quit to use as a hack-box if the time comes, but in the end, I'll probably just buy HTPC's like I was planning on before I read about all this anyways.

N.A

Banned
nVidiot_Whore said:
People have been willfully ignorant.

The internet is full of people who've been saying "Sony can do nothing".. or "even if they do something the hackers will just get around it."

The vast majority of people saying those things were not following what was happening. Pretty much everyone in this thread has acknowledged it will be cat & mouse offline and PSN bans were inevitable.

Zoe

test_account said:
Speaking about PS3 firmware 3.56, when i installed Dead Space Extraction from my Dead Space 2 disc earlier, it asked me if i wanted to launch the game after the install was done. Is this something new? I cant remember to have been asked about this before at least.

I've never seen that, but I've never installed from disc before either.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
The situation is pretty easy.
Sony can't stop the scene. There is way too much info already out there.*
Sony can and will slow the scene down. We saw this on the PSP. It's nothing new and not unexpected.
It's hilarious to believe that PSN access will be easy on CFW.

*We don't need new exploits for newer OFW versions. In fact we don't need exploits at all. People are working on a way to sign everything like they already do on the PSP.

Dambrosi

Banned
Durante said:
I guess it will be back to OFW for me when a game is released that I need to play day 1. (probably Ar Tonelico 3)
It's a shame, but it's the same for me, too. I may need my Final Burn, man, but I might need my Marvel Vs Capcom 3 more. Fuck Killzone, I wanna get my JIANGSHI TITS on!

The hackers have until the DNS trick stops working to release a working CFW that allows people to run 3.56-requiring games, or it's back to OFW for me. In the end, I can always use my PC for emus, right?

Dambrosi, seriously getting worried here.

Kamorra said:
*We don't need new exploits for newer OFW versions. In fact we don't need exploits at all. People are working on a way to sign everything like they already do on the PSP.
Well, they'd better hurry up with that, and with cracking NPDRM too, since it's now become rather vital to the future of homebrew (since you can't sign apps for 3.56, apparently). The best situation would be if you could just install game-ID-spoofed homebrew apps directly on OFW machines without mods, but I don't know how possible that would be.

N.A

Banned
Some weak willed people in here :p

I had a sealed copy of GT5 waiting for nearly two months... and in the end I could have updated!

Hixx

All done. Now to spend the night putting a few of my games on the HDD. No more disc swapping /squeal

I shit myself when my ps3 rebooted at 60% of the install.

N.A

Banned

N.A

Banned
TommyT said:
So has this now turned into a have one PS3 for online and one for offline scenario like the 360?

If you value PSN or playing games the day they come out then yes.

If you don't care about PSN and don't mind waiting a few weeks to play the latest games then no.

atomsk

Party Pooper
Durante said:
I guess it will be back to OFW for me when a game is released that I need to play day 1. (probably Ar Tonelico 3)

Niche games that are fairly close to coming out, I would hope won't require 3.56

Or rather, I don't want NISA tinkering around any more than they have to and breaking the game again

I suppose you could always modify the eboot if worse comes to worst.

I'm buying 3 games in March (Ar Tonelico 3, Yakuza 4, Disaster Report 4 import) So I hope it's worked out by then either way

TommyT

N.A said:
If you value PSN or playing games the day they come out then yes.

If you don't care about PSN and don't mind waiting a few weeks to play the latest games then no.

Ok... so does this affect being able to play games online? - that's what I should have asked in the first place I suppose.

Top Bottom