• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation 4 Firmware 4.0 beta registration now open

We are 3 years into the generation and not one thing Jeff rigby has claimed will happen has.

It's honestly irritating at this point.
AMD 2014 GCN 1.2 dGPUs also have the ability to stream UHD media including UHD Blu-ray if they have an app and blu-ray drive that supports it. Sony has a BDA license for a Game Console which also works for Embedded players and a BDA License for PC UHD Blu-ray player as well as PC drive yet nothing has been released for anything, Sony has stated they will have a stand alone (Embedded) UHD blu-ray player by March 2017 at the latest. So to this point AMD has been waiting two years to support UHD media and the PS4 and XB1 have been waiting 2 years 9 months with I think everyone waiting till October.

Windows 10 and drivers from AMD must support this (ARM Trustzone TEE and ARM Codecs, ARM audio DSP and more) and servers available for Playready and AACS2 as well as for KEY pairing PC blu-ray drive encryption across the USB or eSATA bus and white list server which DRIVE manufacturers must support.

I've repeatedly said that nearly the entire OS needs to be rewritten, all the apps will be replaced using APIs from the ARM TEE including the PS4 Media Player. DLNA, Miracast, WMDRM, Playready, Playready ND, HTML5 <video> MSE EME, Codecs, HDCP2.2, HDR and more will be 100% in southbridge with network standby, it all comes with Firmware 4.0 and embedded Playready.

Also a standard for public Key pairing then private key pairing routines with encryption that is unique to the platform, all in the TEE. A Embedded OS similar to that described for Gnome Mobile where nearly the entire OS is always loaded in memory and everything calls those routines which remain in place and only working memory/registers move in memory. This couldn't be secure until Trusted boot and all the OS routines finished.

We can speculate that the PS4 Media player and third party APPS are almost entirely self contained (look at their size which is also likely padded for security to hide critical routines and padding will not be needed after Playready embedded is available) and will continue to work after Firmware 4.0. They will probably be replaced on a schedule to not overload servers with every app being replaced at the same time. Certain apps are closely tied to the PS4 OS like DLNA and ooVoo as described and probably part of the OS update.

DLNA is only 2 megs on average if using the OS player and VLC is 28 megs on PCs also using the OS UI but VLC contains the Codecs and network streaming routines...so the PS4 Media player should only be about 30 MB in size not 600 MB, Netflix should be 23 MB not 1.14 GB, this is not cache, it's padding to obscure the critical routines.

With DRM in a TEE, every media file metadata checked with all commercial media encrypted using C-ENC, a common DRM and common UI (HTML5) we can support Vidipath in home streaming. This is also coming at about the same time.

Duxxy3

Praying for some organization and not more stickers.

I did a count last week and roughly half of the icons on my home screen are unremovable. Instead of games, I see all of these playstation apps I don't want. If I wanted them, I'd go get them from the store.

Windows 10 August 2 update: Looks like ARM trusted boot TEE is now supported which is a requirement for Playready porting kit 3 and UHD media DRM. Prior security was via virtual mode (Playready porting kit 2.5) or included in the app (Playready 2) which will be phased out. Windows 10 can now support a UHD Blu-ray app and the XB1 slim with UHD blu-ray.

Following by Yusuf Mehdi / Corporate Vice President, Windows and Devices Group who in 2013 stated the XB1 has the hardware to support UHD Blu-ray.

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2016/06/29/windows-10-anniversary-update-available-august-2/ said:
Windows 10 offers significant security protection. Security has never been more critical with more than 250 million threats online in any given day. These threats can cause loss of data and personal information with increased risk of identity theft. Windows 10 includes built-in protection to help keep you more secure with all new features in the Anniversary Update.
Links to this:

http://blogs.microsoft.com/microsoftsecure/2015/06/29/governments-recognize-the-importance-of-tpm-2-0-through-iso-adoption/ said:
TPM 2.0 builds on the achievements of its predecessor ISO/IEC 11889:2009, playing an important role in enhancing security by combining hardware and software features. It provides improvements to secure generation of cryptographic keys and to control their use. It includes a privacy protected mechanism that enables remote trust-verification of the software used to boot a particular system. Most importantly, TPM 2.0 supports cryptographic agility, allowing for effective management of cryptographic algorithms; including easier migration when a major weakness is found in an algorithm. Under the same technical framework, it also expands the use of additional publically available algorithms based on market requirements for TPM applications.

The fact that the standard was supported by a large number of countries, including Australia, Belgium, Canada, China, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Ghana, Ireland, Italy, Japan, the Republic of Korea, Lebanon, Malaysia, Netherlands, Nigeria, Norway, the Russian Federation, South Africa, the United Arab Emirates, the United Kingdom and the United States, underlines the growing level of concern around cybersecurity, among both developed and emerging economies.

However, we recognize that we have to go further to address the security challenges posed by the explosive growth of mobile devices, society&#8217;s increasing reliance on wireless networks and the Internet of Things. To this end, Microsoft is providing more TPM functions in Windows 10 and enabling easier deployment of the TPM to achieve &#8220;secure by default&#8221; objectives for devices, such as mobile devices, servers, etc. TPM 2.0 implementations will include more algorithms and processes such as key generators, as well as onboard storage for cryptographic system measurements for validation and digital certificates. Moreover, Windows 10 hardware requirements enable tailored TPM 2.0 deployments for organizations, ensuring greater flexibility if so needed.
Together with the BIOS, TPM forms a "root of trust": TPM contains several PCRs (Platform Configuration Registers) that allow a secure storage and reporting of security relevant metrics. These metrics can be used to detect changes to previous configurations and derive decisions how to proceed. Good examples can be found in Linux Unified Key Setup (LUKS),[11] and in Microsoft's BitLocker Drive Encryption and PrivateCore vCage memory encryption (see below).

"Therefore, the BIOS and the operating system have the primary responsibility to utilize TPM in order to assure platform integrity. Only then can applications and users running on that platform rely on its security characteristics, such as secure I/O "what you see is what you get", uncompromised keyboard entries, memory and storage operations." This allows a more open OS on Game Consoles and a FULL browser as security concerns are all but eliminated. Both the PS4 and XB1 have ARM TEE hardware that can support TPM 2.0 and both have Playready porting kit 3.0.

Windows 10 August 2 update: Looks like ARM trusted boot TEE is now supported which is a requirement for Playready porting kit 3 and UHD media DRM. Prior security was via virtual mode (Playready porting kit 2.5) or included in the app (Playready 2) which will be phased out. Windows 10 can now support a UHD Blu-ray app and the XB1 slim with UHD blu-ray.
Will the PS4 start using Windows 10 with the next firmware update? If not, then why are you posting this here?

Will the PS4 start using Windows 10 with the next firmware update? If not, then why are you posting this here?
My guess is that AMD, Microsoft and Sony are tied together in this. XB1 Slim will get it first then PCs, Launch XB1 and then Launch PS4 at the same time the PS4 Slim and NEO are released.If you read, TMP2.0 is not backwardly compatible with earlier versions. The PS3 supported something similar to earlier earlier versions of this. Sony may have been waiting to implement TMP 2.0 as the spec released June 29, 2015, years after the PS4 was released.

Remember Sony is writing a UHD Blu-ray PC app and the PS4 has a Playready porting kit 3 as does AMD Carrizo, GCN 1.2 dGPUs, the XB1 (ARM TEE) and Sony could be writing the UHD Blu-ray app for the XB1 slim. Microsoft shipped Playready porting kit 3 for iOS and Android October 2013.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/itpro/windows/keep-secure/tpm-recommendations said:
For end consumers, TPM is behind the scenes but still very relevant for Hello, Passport and in the future, many other key features in Windows 10. It offers the best Passport experience, helps encrypt passwords, secures streaming high quality 4K content and builds on our overall Windows 10 experience story for security as a critical pillar. Using Windows on a system with a TPM enables a deeper and broader level of security coverage.

TPM 2.0 Compliance for Windows 10

Windows 10 for desktop editions (Home, Pro, Enterprise, and Education)

As of July 28, 2016, all new device models, lines or series (or if you are updating the hardware configuration of a existing model, line or series with a major update, such as CPU, graphic cards) must implement and enable by default TPM 2.0 (details in section 3.7, https://msdn.microsoft.com/library/windows/hardware/dn915086(v=vs.85).aspx)

TPM 2.0 is required for all InstantGo devices.
1) As of July 28, 2016, all new device models, lines or series (or if you are updating the hardware configuration of a existing model, line or series with a major update, such as CPU, graphic cards) must implement and enable by default TPM 2.0 I think this means AMD has to release drivers that support this as of July 28th.
2) Windows 10 free upgrade ends July 29th
3) Windows 10 August 2 update implements TPM 2.0 security

My guess is that AMD, Microsoft and Sony are tied together in this. XB1 Slim will get it first then PCs, Launch XB1 and then Launch PS4 at the same time the PS4 Slim and NEO are released.

Remember Sony is writing a UHD Blu-ray PC app and the PS4 has a Playready porting kit 3 as does AMD Carrizo, GCN 1.2 dGPUs, the XB1 (ARM TEE) and Sony could be writing the UHD Blu-ray app for the XB1 slim. Microsoft shipped Playready porting kit 3 for iOS and Android October 2013.

Rather than post this nonsense here why don't you return to your original thread that you abandoned and answer the questions posited there?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
When the dust settles after the TGS rumor, Rigby will be the hero we all did not realize we had, lol.

Regardless of whatever people feel, lol, I actually learn things clicking his links, then scratch my head why these companies legit say, and/or use the tech, but seemingly lock us out of it. It is not like he does not back it up with legit patents, and part numbers, etc..

Now wether they will act upon such things, instead of locking us out to sell us another box, that is a whole different discussion.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
So any hints or what not as to what features might be rolling out in this update?

jeff_rigby y u do this

Kzy03sX.gif

TalonJH

I hope it's not more social stuff or stickers. Do people actually use stickers?

Anyway, I'd really like folders for games and friends. I really want to sort my friends in people I know irl, people I play with in certain games, people from forums such as GAF etc. Sony pls.

Some random person sent me a sticker the other day. I'm too old for stickers and emojis. Use words. (Takes a sip from his Ecto Cooler)

Gator86

another thread that got derailed by rigby bullshit

always sad to see

The Rigby shit is dumb, but there wasn't a lot to talk about here anyway. There's no news or anything about the firmware so it's basically just stability jokes or people hoping for non-trash features/stuff we clearly won't get. Pointless social features for all!

KyleCross

If Jeff ever gets a tag it should link to some random NASA handbook or something.

Jeff, keep talking rocket science to me. Whisper technological nothings in my ear.

The Rigby shit is dumb, but there wasn't a lot to talk about here anyway. There's no news or anything about the firmware so it's basically just stability jokes or people hoping for non-trash features/stuff we clearly won't get. Pointless social features for all!

Sure, but I came back to this thread to see if there have been some leaks or teasers and all I see is rigby tech diarrhea.

I don't even care if he's right or wrong, the way he posts is just obnoxious. It's like a robot trying to communicate with humans and failing badly at it. I doubt he'd pass a turing test.

"Hey rigby, how are you today?"

" the PS4 has a Playready porting kit 3 as does AMD Carrizo, GCN 1.2 dGPUs, the XB1 (ARM TEE). DLNA, Miracast, WMDRM, Playready, Playready ND, HTML5 <video> MSE EME, Codecs, HDCP2.2, HDR and more will be 100% in southbridge with network standby"

kvn

Sure, but I came back to this thread to see if there have been some leaks or teasers and all I see is rigby tech diarrhea.

I don't even care if he's right or wrong, the way he posts is just obnoxious. It's like a robot trying to communicate with humans and failing badly at it. I doubt he'd pass a turing test.

" the PS4 has a Playready porting kit 3 as does AMD Carrizo, GCN 1.2 dGPUs, the XB1 (ARM TEE). DLNA, Miracast, WMDRM, Playready, Playready ND, HTML5 <video> MSE EME, Codecs, HDCP2.2, HDR and more will be 100% in southbridge with network standby"

Now, you have to edit that post 3 times so that it's completely different the next time you open the thread.

LMAO. That's his gimmick, and it's awesome.

My guess is that AMD, Microsoft and Sony are tied together in this. XB1 Slim will get it first then PCs, Launch XB1 and then Launch PS4 at the same time the PS4 Slim and NEO are released.If you read, TMP2.0 is not backwardly compatible with earlier versions. The PS3 supported something similar to earlier earlier versions of this. Sony may have been waiting to implement TMP 2.0 as the spec released June 29, 2015, years after the PS4 was released.

1) As of July 28, 2016, all new device models, lines or series (or if you are updating the hardware configuration of a existing model, line or series with a major update, such as CPU, graphic cards) must implement and enable by default TPM 2.0 I think this means AMD has to release drivers that support this as of July 28th.
2) Windows 10 free upgrade ends July 29th
3) Windows 10 August 2 update implements TPM 2.0 security

MtZ9N.gif

When the dust settles after the TGS rumor, Rigby will be the hero we all did not realize we had, lol.

Regardless of whatever people feel, lol, I actually learn things clicking his links, then scratch my head why these companies legit say, and/or use the tech, but seemingly lock us out of it. It is not like he does not back it up with legit patents, and part numbers, etc..

Now wether they will act upon such things, instead of locking us out to sell us another box, that is a whole different discussion.

No. Zero chance of this happening. Every time he gets cornered by someone who knows what the are talking about his MO is either to:

A) dissappear from the thread and then re-appear in another thread with another wall of nonsense so the cycle of 'hey maybe he's on to something' can start again. I refer you to this thread:

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1210010&page=18

B) change the original argument, obfuscate behind a wall of text, pick a new goalpost, then never refer to the original argument again.

You would literally learn as much by typing three random letters into Google search and then picking a random page and entry for Google translate to butcher.

kvn

No. Zero chance of this happening. Every time he gets cornered by someone who knows what the are talking about his MO is either to:

A) dissappear from the thread and then re-appear in another thread with another wall of nonsense so the cycle of 'hey maybe he's on to something' can start again. I refer you to this thread:

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1210010&page=18

B) change the original argument, obfuscate behind a wall of text, pick a new goalpost, then never refer to the original argument again.

You would literally learn as much by typing three random letters into Google search and then picking a random page and entry for Google translate to butcher.

On point, thank you.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Jeff always provides the best entertainment to tech threads. You have the people who can see past his BS and the people who are like 'maybe he's right this time! I mean all these fancy words and terms that i don't understand, he must surely know a lot right?"

How he's managed to stay with the same type of gimmick for years and years i'll never get. even back in his days on Beyond3D he was doing the same sort of thing, that's why he got banned from there.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
He is disruptive.

There are far more immature disruptive people on here. He does not bash anyone, shit post, troll, or hell, wear a console on his shoulder jumping into threads and disrupting based on fanatic bias.

He just rambles on about tech, nothing more, lol.

Hell, visit the new flavor, No Man's Sky thread for true disruptions.

he doesnt know anything about uprendering

Hahaha.

I don't agree with thing, therefore...

Wrong again. It has nothing to do with agreeing or disagreeing with what he has to say. Its that he literally has nothing to say beyond a wall of nonsense. There is literally nothing there beside inference, interpretation of obscure white papers, suppositions based on huge leaps of logic that once questioned are never again referred to, and random guesswork. Just go look at the UHD consoles shipped in 2013 thread. Go do it. Ill wait. Every time someone challenged his interpretation with facts he just bails or never refers to it again, including tweets and direct statements from engineers that he cant find now or completely misinterpreted. I'm gonna do it man.

1. Blu rays are BLU
2. Simple voice recorders and earlier cassette decks are designed to work with standard ferric formulations. Newer tape decks usually are built with switches and later detectors for the different bias and equalization requirements for higher grade tapes. The most common, iron oxide tapes (defined by the IEC 60094 standard,[6] as "Type I") use 120 µs equalization, while chrome and cobalt-absorbed tapes (IEC Type II) require 70 µs equalization. The recording bias levels also were different. BASF and Sony tried a dual layer tape with both ferric oxide and chrome dioxide known as 'ferrichrome' (FeCr) (IEC Type III)
3. All of us

Top Bottom