• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation 4 Firmware 4.0 beta registration now open

So no one knows anything about the new firmware? 4.0 since it is a round number, it means it will bring up serious changes and additions. I hope they add something big like PS1 games support (all PlayStation consoles can play PS1 games except the PS4 which surprised me).

Change PSN ID better happen.

Although it's sad to say, folks shouldn't get their hopes up about Sony allowing us to change our PSN IDs. I'm lucky in that I like my PSN ID. Only thing I'd change is make the first letter a capital letter but besides that I'm good with mine.

I'd like to know who was the person or team in charge of PSN IDs back in 04-05 before the PSN launched. Fucking idiot, the person or team has to be kicking themselves now. The lack of foresight is uncanny.

odhiex

Bring on external drive support

This my top wish list. I only have 50GB left on my PS4, I deleted most of my games already.

I am less buying digital games now due to this memory constraint. Of course you could always upgrade to a bigger HDD, but I don't have time to do games back-up and I don't have a speady internet to re-download games too.

Basically, more convinient way to store games is good enough for me.

This my top wish list. I only have 50GB left on my PS4, I deleted most of my games already.

I am less buying digital games now due to this memory constraint. Of course you could always upgrade to a bigger HDD, but I don't have time to do games back-up and I don't have a speady internet to re-download games too.

Basically, more convinient way to store games is good enough for me.

Whoa. I'm complaining about space and I have a 2TB HDD in my PS4. If you still have the stock 500GB HDD inside yours I really feel for you. It's gotta be such a hassle, it becomes a game unto itself really. Game installation/deletion management.

I just don't get why this isn't a feature here in 2016. Is Sony worried someone is gon a try to install homebrew or something?

Like come the fuck on Sony.

External drive support is all I want as well. During Prime Day I picked up 2 4TB external drives for $99 apiece. One for my Xbone and the other for my ps4. Waiting for the day when Sony allows us to use external drives for game installs.

IvanJ

Banned
One thing I'd like added is a better organized library. At the very least, an option to hide titles I have no use for anymore (demos, betas, ps+ crap etc.)

Caayn

Thanks for the heads-up, registered.

Please add:
- The ability to select save files from multiple games when copying them to a USB drive.
- PS1/PS2 BC from disc.
- External hard drive support.
- User control over the lightstrip on the console.

I've given up on the option to disable the lightbar.

Basically, more convenient way to store games is good enough for me.

Wait, don't all games whether digital or disc install entirely to the HDD?
Seems like your space issue just has to be resolved by upgrading storage (or getting that external HDD feature implemented).

Just curious. Are both consoles using the same Bluray drive?
Both have BD-ROM drives from different manufacturers. Sony states the PS4 drive is both BD-ROM and BD-R while Microsoft states only BD-ROM. A BD-ROM drive can be firmware updated to BD-R as the PS3 was in 2008. The 2010 BD-R specs included the ability to read 3 layer Version 2 disks which is what one of the UHD disk formats (100 GB) uses. There are other changes to the drive firmware to keep HD players from being able to read the UHD media format disks or UHD players from reading HD media format disks but a UHD drive is required to be backwardly compatible with HD. This creates the need for a HD and UHD mode the drive must support based on a Header that puts the drive in the required mode. Without a firmware update to support this a blu-ray drive can read a UHD disk be it version 1 or 2 (three layer reduced mark length) and report on the size and type (version 1 or 2) and other common BDA required headers but can not play the media. I think this only requires a firmware update but that is a guess and not confirmed in any paper I have read; no mention that it requires a different drive either (Mount Fuji Drive book changes from Version 8 to 9).

Blu-ray drives in Game Consoles and Embedded Players do not require a BDA licence and several features that PC UHD capable drives require.
Sony has a BDA UHD Licence for Game Console/Embedded and PC app as well as a PC drive.

The XB1 and PS4 2013 and later Game Consoles are called UHD Capable by Microsoft, Sony and an Independent testing lab reporting to the EU government body on Power Efficiency. http://efficientgaming.eu/

UHD capable requires a trusted boot Trusted Execution Enviroment which AMD, PS4 and XB1 support using ARM Trustzone. The Codec, Player, DRM and all unencrypted commercial media must be inside/managed by the Trustzone processor on the AXI bus with Trustzone managed MMU/memory. For UHD blu-ray that is AACS2 encrypted media entering the TEE and HDCP2.2 encrypted media exiting the TEE. That HDCP2.2 media exiting the TEE can be redirected to a HDMI port, HDMI over LAN, Miracast or Vidipath on the home network using Playready ND. The HDMI chip in UHD Capable platforms (PCs, Game Consoles) just has to support HD and UHD timings with pass through of HDCP negotiation to the HDCP routine running in the TEE. HDMI over LAN, Miracast and Playready ND does the same HDCP negotiation over WiFi and LAN. A ARM trustzone TEE includes dedicated crypto hardware/firmware that is used by HDCP2.2 which is why the AMD/Microsoft name for the XB1 APU chip was Kryptos. Sony moved the ARM TEE from the APU to Southbridge with it's own 256MB of DDR3 memory. Both APUs (PS4 and XB1) have a VCE hardware encoder which in the XB1 is confirmed to also support h.265 (HEVC for HD or lower non-commercial media (Games)). The 2013 and 2015 PS4 may not support a VCE with h.265 but likely NEO and a PS4 Slim will.

A set of standards using HTML5 <video> MSE EME with common encryption media is also part of this with UHD blu-ray digital bridge in home streaming. Streaming UHD media and UHD TV use the same and UHD Antenna TV will be displayed in a TV web page. A recent paper gives a decent explanation of MSE EME and how it will be used by CE platforms which mention Sony, Microsoft and Game Consoles. At a minimum the PS4 Firmware update 4.0 should support this as everything media is built on this standard including ooVoo, Vidipath, Cable TV apps that replace cable boxes and coming 4K streaming apps.

Sony started advertising the PS4 in China last month and Sony is expecting 2017 to exceed all yearly gross sales since 1998 with a 10% profit margin largely due to the PS4 and network services. To my mind the lack of a h.265 VCE and a need to have a cheap PS4 for the China market makes it a lock that a PS4 Slim is being released this holiday season along with Firmware 4.0 as the Media update introducing the features we were told at Launch the PS4 would support. The 2015 PS4 had the exact same 2013 APU design using the Global Foundries process with an updated Southbridge.

There is a Netflix app now listed twice in the PS4 Library with one advertising "Stranger things". If you click on it you go to the Sony PS4 Store where Netflix can be downloaded. The listed size of the Netflix APP is 26.2 MB while the actual size in the PS4 is 1.14 GB.

Best guess is they are using the Netflix size post PS4 firmware 4.0 update which is expected when Sony publishes to Netflix the Southbridge APIs using Playready embedded..

Magwik

Banned
There is a Netflix app now listed twice in the PS4 Library with one advertising "Stranger things". If you click on it you go to the Sony PS4 Store where Netflix can be downloaded. The listed size of the Netflix APP is 26.2 MB while the actual size in the PS4 is 1.14 GB.

Best guess is they are using the Netflix size post PS4 firmware 4.0 update which is expected when Sony publishes to Netflix the Southbridge APIs using Playready embedded..
Jeff. Please. Stop.

Aequitas

Something that I forgot about was Sony launching remote play on iOS and all android devices. Really hoping 4.0 update adds this.

Parham

Banned
PS4 and XB1 are called UHD capable by Sony, Microsoft and a testing lab. HDCP2.2 takes place in the trust zone TEE and the PS4 HAS A CUSTOM HDMI chip. Start of story.

A BD-R drive (PS4) CAN READ A UHD disk.

Hey Jeff, do you plan on addressing the posts from your UHD thread or will you keep running away?

giphy.gif

Hey Jeff, do you plan on addressing the posts from your UHD thread or will you keep running away?
I'm waiting for more information vs debating the worth of posts from people who may or may not have legitimate information. The ARM trustzone blocks in XB1 and PS4 Southbridge are critical DRM and security for those should be very high with few people allowed access/knowledge. This makes any statements suspect and doubly so the day of and day after the XB1 Slim announcement and comments by Spencer which are echoed by the Posts that Adam cites. Same applies to the ARM trustzone block in Carrizo and GCN 1.2 and greater dGPUs which have the same VCE 3 and UVD 6 which supports HEVC and UHD media. This is all the information available on those too plus the XB1 has the same technology AMD uses for HEVC in Carrizo.. This may only be a VCE3 which is a hardware encoder for HEVC which is part of two Cites from AMD and one from Microsoft which Adam denies saying the June 2015 slides and post on HEVC HD decoder are referring to the August 2016 XB1 S just as he did with the original Letters to the EU stating the PS4 and XB1 2013 consoles were UHD Capable. .

At this point Adam is trying to make it a "who do you believe" argument which is based on character assassination. I won't play that game. Latest information is the Windows 10 August 2 update was split into two parts and the second part is coming in the Fall which is when the PS4 firmware update is coming.

http://www.efficientgaming.eu/

http://efficientgaming.eu/fileadmin/user_upload/Independent_Inspector_Games_Console_ACR__Final_v1.0__period_2015_.pdf said:
Three Ultra High Definition games consoles were included under the SRI; two models of the Sony
PlayStation 4 (2013 and 2015) and the Microsoft Xbox One (2013). The latest version of the PlayStation 4 (the 12 series) and
the Xbox One met the requirements for Tier 2 for Media Playback Mode even though this requirement
did not come into force until January 2016.

PS3 and Xbox 360 are called HD Consoles
XB1 and PS4 are called UHD capable consoles which will be firmware updated to support UHD in 2016.

The power caps for navigation mode are the same for High and Ultra-high definition consoles (90
Watts from 2014 and 70 Watts from 2017).
&#8226; For Media Playback the power caps for High definition consoles are the same level as in
Navigation mode (90 Watts from 2014 and 70 Watts from 2017)
&#8226; For Media Playback, the Ultra-high definition consoles have power caps applicable two years later
than for High definitions consoles (90 Watts from 2016 and 70 Watts from 2019).
&#8226; Both types of console have additional power cap allowances when using a Natural User Interface.
2019 must be a new Node using Navi GPU @ 10nm

At this point Adam is trying to make it a "who do you believe" argument which is based on character assassination. I won't play that game.
You completely invented a conversation with someone from Microsoft who absolutely said nothing along the lines you stated. You said there must be something wrong with my memory for not recalling this conversation that never took place. When called on it, you refused to acknowledge what at best is your embarrassing mistake and what at worst is a flat-out lie. Either way, you're a coward.

I'm actually making it an argument based on people from Microsoft and Sony expressly addressing the launch consoles being able or not being able to play UHD BD media. If it's a crime to put a great deal of stock in that vs. wild speculation from sources that don't reference UHD BD whatsoever, then yes, I am guilty.

Parham

Banned
I'm waiting for more information vs debating the worth of posts from people who may or may not have legitimate information. The ARM trustzone blocks in XB1 and PS4 Southbridge are critical DRM and security for those should be very high with few people allowed access/knowledge. This makes any statements suspect and doubly so the day of and day after the XB1 Slim announcement and comments by Spencer which are echoed by the Posts that Adam cites. Same applies to the ARM trustzone block in Carrizo and GCN 1.2 and greater dGPUs which have the same VCE 3 and UVD 6 which supports HEVC and UHD media. This is all the information available on those too plus the XB1 has the same technology AMD uses for HEVC in Carrizo.. This may only be a VCE3 which is a hardware encoder for HEVC which is part of two Cites from AMD and one from Microsoft which Adam denies saying the June 2015 slides and post on HEVC HD decoder are referring to the August 2016 XB1 S just as he did with the original Letters to the EU stating the PS4 and XB1 2013 consoles were UHD Capable. .

At this point Adam is trying to make it a "who do you believe" argument which is based on character assassination. I won't play that game.

http://www.efficientgaming.eu/

I'm talking about you possibly putting words in another person's mouth and not providing proper citations. Did Stinkles say there's room for the Xbox One drive to be firmware update-able to support UHD Blu-rays? If he did, then link to those posts. If he didn't, then either admit you made a mistake or lied. Avoiding this entirely means you aren't interested in having a genuine discussion.

Nope! I downloaded Netflix to my PS4 for the first time, and:

1469992956_1.jpg

It's listed as a small download because it's a small download, not because they got the filesize wrong by a factor of 20 in anticipation of a future firmware update.

c0de

Nope! I downloaded Netflix to my PS4 for the first time, and:

1469992956_1.jpg

It's listed as a small download because it's a small download, not because they got the filesize wrong by a factor of 20 in anticipation of a future firmware update.

He said “best guess“. Don't tell me you are surprised.

Max_Po

Banned
Thanks for the heads-up, registered.

Please add:
- The ability to select save files from multiple games when copying them to a USB drive.
- PS1/PS2 BC from disc.
- External hard drive support.
- User control over the lightstrip on the console.

I've given up on the option to disable the lightbar.

ROFL

You completely invented a conversation with someone from Microsoft who absolutely said nothing along the lines you stated. You said there must be something wrong with my memory for not recalling this conversation that never took place. When called on it, you refused to acknowledge what at best is your embarrassing mistake and what at worst is a flat-out lie. Either way, you're a coward.
Adam, if I'm correct then everyone you cited lied including Ito, If I'm wrong then I lose a bet and credibility. It serves no purpose to name call or attack by way of character assassination.

Stinkles admitted he does not have direct access to Microsoft's hardware group, he is just a developer and I don't believe any developer has information on Launch Console media capability. Then there is this cite for Stinkles showing he does not understand that a UHD disk is a Version 1.4 (25/50GB) or version 2 disk (33/66GB) which can be read by a BD-ROM drive upgraded to BD-R with 2010 specs . Unfortunately there is more to it but it's not a matter of "the existing Xbox One simply can't read or display the denser data on a true 4k Blu Ray". And we have the Launch consoles called UHD Capable in cites; this has more weight. The drive can read the denser data in a version 2 disk but the BDA want's changes to the drive register addresses to keep HD Players from being able to read UHD media and UHD Players from reading HD media.

Someone had a discussion in the thread, said he read the Mount Fuji book and made room for the possibility that the drive could be firmware updated after a back and forth. I thought it was Stinkles....

Coward? Read through the PS3 browser threads and all the abuse I suffered and I was correct. I believe the same will happen with the PS3 and PS4 embedded Playready Vidipath and UHD Blu-ray on Xb1 and PS4 2013 consoles.

Squozen

Seems like a bullshit deal.

Come help us make our firmware less shitty but if it breaks your console, oh well.

Actually Sony Australia replaced my PS3 when it got bricked by bad firmware, even though it was well out of warranty and a Japanese import. I think a beta gone bad would be taken care of.

I seriously think Jeff is Batman. Seriously. His posts are so elaborate and complex, it's just a ruse to hide and distract us from his true identity.

I'm on to you, Jeff. I mean,...Batman.

cchum

I seriously think Jeff is Batman. Seriously. His posts are so elaborate and complex, it's just a ruse to hide and distract us from his true identity.

I'm on to you, Jeff. I mean,...Batman.

He's Grace Chen. It's obvious now.

Sony my body is ready to test your playready update

Hopefully folders. I thought people complaining about the library and folders were crazy, but today i saw the light. The PS4 menu can only display the 11 most recently playes games and the rest is stuck together with demos, betas, uninstalled games in the library. There is no option to display only installed games. I said wow.

Shin-Ra

Hopefully folders. I thought people complaining about the library and folders were crazy, but today i saw the light. The PS4 menu can only display the 11 most recently playes games and the rest is stuck together with demos, betas, uninstalled games in the library. There is no option to display only installed games. I said wow.
This is incorrect.

Audioboxer

We are 3 years into the generation and not one thing Jeff rigby has claimed will happen has.

It's honestly irritating at this point.

He eventually got the PS3 browser update right. Sony actually updated the browser randomly during one FW update. GAF celebrated.

Who knows many the Sony folks who read NeoGAF and see jeff rigby posts try their hardest to troll us by going out of their way to provide at least one thing jeff says is coming.

I wouldn't be surprised. Shu likes to troll.

androvsky

He eventually got the PS3 browser update right.

Who knows many the Sony folks who read NeoGAF and see jeff rigby posts try their hardest to troll us by going out of their way to provide at least one thing jeff says is coming.
Well, he got the part about the browser right. As I recall, most of the discussion back then was about the PS3 getting an HTML5 UI to replace the XMB.

Audioboxer

Well, he got the part about the browser right. As I recall, most of the discussion back then was about the PS3 getting an HTML5 UI to replace the XMB.

A step at a time. Expecting multiple things right at once?

lolno, this is rigby time. Its like Valve time, slowed down.

yurinka

How about some improvement for Internet speed, like wifi AC support for Neo, or tweak to improve wired or wifi connection in the normal PS4?

Is there any chance or clue hinting that something like that is coming?

Audioboxer

How about some improvement for Internet speed, like wifi AC support for Neo, or tweak to improve wired or wifi connection in the normal PS4?

Is there any chance or clue hinting that something like that is coming?

No Sony seem to hate wireless. Not including better wireless in the PS4 was a joke. I mean most of us do go wired but cmon Sony, poor show.

Expect the Neo to have the same shite that is in the PS4 cause Sony...

Top Bottom