• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation 4 Firmware 4.0 beta registration now open

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
To my mind, anyway, passing off wild speculation as fact isn't something that should be encouraged.

You mean like every pregame thread of the pro and con camp?

He provides actual links, I don't get how the links are false, when they are documented. Now wether said console makers take advantage of said tech they patent and use, is another argument.

I am sure if the mods have issue, he would have been banned already.

This witch hunt is really sad, when one could ignore. He is far from trolling anyone.

He provides actual links, I don't get how the links are false, when they are documented. Now wether said console makers take advantage of said tech they patent and use, is another argument.
Have you read the "UHD Blu-ray Game Consoles shipped in 2013" thread?

His critical evidence is:

1) Something one Microsoft VP with a habit of putting his foot in his mouth said in 2013, nearly three years before Ultra HD Blu-ray launched; something that has not been reaffirmed post-launch

2) A single AMD slide referencing HEVC streaming from some undefined model of Xbox One to PCs, which has nothing to do with the Xbox One's ability to decode UHD HEVC encodes as demanding as what UHD BD requires; there's no indication that this functionality actually exists or is in use either

3) efficientgaming.eu power consumption documents that make passing reference to UHD and no mention whatsoever of Ultra HD Blu-ray

He hasn't unearthed any compelling evidence whatsoever, but he declares it as fact. Jeff doesn't just say "I think this could point towards UHD BD support"; he says it means that functionality will be part of firmware updates for both consoles in October, if not sooner. He fundamentally cannot comprehend the difference between fact and speculation.

Jeff berates user after user for failing to understand that that the optical drives in the launch Xbox One and PS4 can be updated to read UHD BD media. It turns out that Jeff spent about two hours reading a whitepaper he admits to not really understanding, and even though he posted literally dozens of times that these sorts of drives absolutely, undeniably can be updated via firmware to read these discs, he's backpedaled in recent weeks that he only thinks it's possible.

In fact, whenever anyone from Microsoft or Sony contradicts what he's saying -- and several of them have directly, explicitly explained why neither launch console can support UHD BD -- he says they're lying or ignorant. He counters with evidence that isn't actually evidence. He knows more about the inner workings of the Xbox One than Stacey Spears, who was involved from the Xbox One from the start, is an expert in video encoding/decoding, and intimately knows everything about the way the console outputs video. Jeff sneers at Spears for not being an engineer, despite the fact that he's had something like seven job titles at Microsoft, all of which have the word "engineer" in them. He knows more about the inner workings of the PS4 than Masayasu Ito. It's not as if Ito heads up the hardware engineering team for the PS4 or anything, except...oh, wait, yes, he does! They both say that a dedicated HEVC decoder is needed for the up-to-100Mbps video of Ultra HD Blu-ray; Jeff says they're clueless, with nothing of consequence to back it up. They both say (along with many others) that a new optical drive is needed; Jeff says they're wrong, with nothing but guesswork to back it up. He doesn't just say that Spears, Ito, Phil Spencer, NeoGAF's own Stinkles, etc., etc. etc. are mistaken; they're lying or ignorant. To even say they're mistaken with the shaky not-really-evidence he has is misguided, but to attack them as liars or incompetent is flat-out shameful.

It does upset me when he starts a thread like "The PS4 will support 4K blu-ray", people see his flood of jargon, acronyms, and graphs, and reply "wow, thanks for the news!" It's not news! It's not even well-founded guesswork. There's little-to-no logic behind the assumptions he passes off as fact. You can pick up any page of any Rigby thread at random and find error after error after error after error. He just moves the goalposts, pulls a disappearing act, or attempts to overwhelm others with tidal waves of acronyms until they relent.

"I don't get how the links are false, when they are documented." The links often don't say what he claims they do. Sometimes they say the exact opposite. He's severely misquoted what Spears, Ito, Spencer, Stinkles, and a long list of others have said. He was on a tear a few weeks ago about how an independent lab tested UHD functionality in the launch consoles until he realized I was right and that no such testing was actually done. Other evidence he's referenced recently includes pre-launch speculation about these consoles' inner workings and a Wikipedia article that actually completely contradicts the claim he was trying to make. A higher-up at Netflix talked about how revised hardware in 2015 would open up support for UHD streaming on the PS4, and Jeff says that he was talking about a software update in 2016. ???

That's not even getting into his obsession with divining the secret meaning of sony-microsoft.com or how PS4 + 4.0 = 8, a lucky number in the East.

You mean like every pregame thread of the pro and con camp?
Pro/con is at least opinion. Technical capabilities are not.

A better comparison would be if someone said that Halo 6 is absolutely coming to the PS4 because Microsoft registered microsoft-sony.com, and that's the only possible conclusion. Also, a press listing referenced "Untitled First Person Shooter", which the OP claims any reasonable person could obviously see has to be Halo. If Microsoft and Sony both said "no, Halo 6 is not coming to the PS4", that poster replied that only a handful of people at either company would be privy to this information, and that anyone claiming that a release isn't imminent is lying or ignorant.

Have you read the "UHD Blu-ray Game Consoles shipped in 2013" thread?

His critical evidence is:

1) Something one Microsoft VP with a habit of putting his foot in his mouth said in 2013, nearly three years before Ultra HD Blu-ray launched; something that has not been reaffirmed post-launch
Yusuf Mehdi / Corporate Vice President, Windows and Devices Group who in 2013 stated the XB1 has the hardware to support UHD Blu-ray.wrote a blog article I cited in the last page. In the article and associated links the Windows 10 update today implements TPM 2.0 for APUs and dGPU that Microsoft required firmware updates for from Manufacturers about 4 days before so that support for UHD DRM was in place. Yusuf was promoted and the blog post shows an understanding of the DRM technology needed for UHD BLu-ray, I find him more compelling than the three cites Adam provides that have within them misunderstanding of the technology that make them suspect.

2) A single AMD slide referencing HEVC streaming from some undefined model of Xbox One to PCs, which has nothing to do with the Xbox One's ability to decode UHD HEVC encodes as demanding as what UHD BD requires; there's no indication that this functionality actually exists or is in use either
Two slides and a quote from AMD;
1) June of 2015 Microsoft posted that the next firmware update would have a HEVC profile 10 codec for HD media.
2) An AMD slide a week later states the XB1 can game stream to PCs using HEVC, that requires a low latency hardware encoder. (VCE 3)
3) AMD stated that they use the same technology for HEVC that the XB1 uses.
4) Wiki pages have the UVD in AMD APUs and dGPUs using Xtensa DSPs for hardware accelerated codecs. They are up to 100X more efficient than CPUs for vision processing and codecs.
5) AMD dGPUs from 2014 (GCN 1.2) have the same VCE 3 AND UVD 6 that Carrizo has and Carrizo supports full UHD HEVC profile 10 which UHD media will use.
6) Microsoft published the specs for hardware accelerated HEVC codecs in 2013. This consists of 4 special accelerator blocks that are included in the Xtensa DSP block and can be used by other codecs. This is for Software codecs that are hardware accelerated not hardware codecs like VCE. UVD stands for Universal Video Decode as it supports multiple video codecs via software with DSP hardware that may or may not contain the 4 accelerator blocks. With those accelerator blocks Carrizo is more efficient supporting HEVC. VCE is a fixed codec that can not be upgraded and can only support one codec family. It's Low power and latency which is a must for game streaming.
Note: the XB1 has both a h.264 and HEVC hardware codec (VCE) for game streaming while the PS4 only has a h.264.

Point was that all the above point to the technology being ready to support HEVC when the XB1 launched confirming Yusuf's statement that the XB1 has the hardware to support UHD Blu-ray.

3) efficientgaming.eu power consumption documents that make passing reference to UHD and no mention whatsoever of Ultra HD Blu-ray
efficientgaming.EU calls the Launch XB1 and PS4 UHD Capable with firmware update in 2016, that is not a passing refference. The TMP 2.0 specs for security mentioned at the top of this post were published August 2015 slightly less than two years after the PS4 and XB1 were released. All ARM Trustzone enabled platforms have the hardware to support this from slightly after 2006 and AMD included ARM Trustzone in their APUs from 2010. Both the XB1 and PS4 have ARM trustzone blocks but of course the OS in 2013 could not support TMP 2.0 needed for UHD DRM until after a Firmware update.

He hasn't unearthed any compelling evidence whatsoever, but he declares it as fact. Jeff doesn't just say "I think this could point towards UHD BD support"; he says it means that functionality will be part of firmware updates for both consoles in October, if not sooner. He fundamentally cannot comprehend the difference between fact and speculation.

Jeff berates user after user for failing to understand that that the optical drives in the launch Xbox One and PS4 can be updated to read UHD BD media. It turns out that Jeff spent about two hours reading a whitepaper he admits to not really understanding, and even though he posted literally dozens of times that these sorts of drives absolutely, undeniably can be updated via firmware to read these discs, he's backpedaled in recent weeks that he only thinks it's possible.
I've let others frame the discussion as I correct FACTS:

THESE FACTS outline some of the hardware requirements for UHD Capable I was discussing in 2012 and formed the basis for speculation.

All unencrypted commercial media must be protected in a TEE. Encrypted media enters the TEE and Encrypted media exits the TEE. For UHD BLu-ray, AACS 2 encrypted media enters and HDCP 2.2 exits to HDMI, HDMI over LAN, Miracast, Vidipath and more. For streaming media Playready encrypted (C-ENC) enters and HDCP 2.2 exits.

The above requires all Codecs in the TEE which means the X-86 CPU and GPU or VCE can not be used for commercial media requiring DRM. The TEE in the Xb1 and PS4 is ARM trustzone and all hardware must be on the ARM AXI bus and all memory must be controlled by a ARM IOMMU memory controller slaved to the ARM trustzone processor.

HDCP 2.2 is a routine running in the TEE not the HDMI chip. HDCP 2.2 is mapped to the HDMI chip that only has to support HDMI 2 timings and pass negotiations to the TEE.

HDR (High Dynamic Range) is a routine that adds low bandwidth information to the video that increases Dynamic range. This must be done before HDCP 2.2 and since unencrypted video has to be used, this also must occur in the TEE.

There is no such thing as a UHD Drive. A BD-ROM drive can be firmware updated to support BD-R and those drives from about 2011 follow the BD-R 2010 specs and can read version 1 ( 25/50GB) and version 2 disks (33/66/100 GB) disks. This was the framework for the early arguments. I discovered and posted that in addition UHD licenced drives have firmware changes required to assign drive registers different functions for HD and UHD to keep a HD player from being able to read UHD disks and a UHD player from reading HD disks unless supported and in the proper mode. There is no mention of needing a different drive to support this but no confirmation that a new drive is not needed either.

In fact, whenever anyone from Microsoft or Sony contradicts what he's saying -- and several of them have directly, explicitly explained why neither launch console can support UHD BD -- he says they're lying or ignorant. He counters with evidence that isn't actually evidence. He knows more about the inner workings of the Xbox One than Stacey Spears, who was involved from the Xbox One from the start, is an expert in video encoding/decoding, and intimately knows everything about the way the console outputs video. Jeff sneers at Spears for not being an engineer, despite the fact that he's had something like seven job titles at Microsoft, all of which have the word "engineer" in them. He knows more about the inner workings of the PS4 than Masayasu Ito. It's not as if Ito heads up the hardware engineering team for the PS4 or anything, except...oh, wait, yes, he does! They both say that a dedicated HEVC decoder is needed for the up-to-100Mbps video of Ultra HD Blu-ray; Jeff says they're clueless, with nothing of consequence to back it up. They both say (along with many others) that a new optical drive is needed; Jeff says they're wrong, with nothing but guesswork to back it up. He doesn't just say that Spears, Ito, Phil Spencer, NeoGAF's own Stinkles, etc., etc. etc. are mistaken; they're lying or ignorant. To even say they're mistaken with the shaky not-really-evidence he has is misguided, but to attack them as liars or incompetent is flat-out shameful.
Adam, each of the above had errors of easily confirmed facts in their statements that make their statements suspect. I've repeated this three times and given you what makes them suspect:

Ito; ALL modern BD-ROM drives can read three layers
Stinkles; ALL modern BD-ROM drives can read version 2 disks which support the data rates for UHD media which Stinkles said was not possible.
Spears; You can not use the X-86 CPU or GPU for DRM media

It does upset me when he starts a thread like "The PS4 will support 4K blu-ray", people see his flood of jargon, acronyms, and graphs, and reply "wow, thanks for the news!" It's not news! It's not even well-founded guesswork. There's little-to-no logic behind the assumptions he passes off as fact. You can pick up any page of any Rigby thread at random and find error after error after error after error. He just moves the goalposts, pulls a disappearing act, or attempts to overwhelm others with tidal waves of acronyms until they relent.
There is considerable research and logic in my posts. This is apparently lost on you. The goal posts change because I am letting multiple others frame the argument. Most like you dismiss the technical in favor of quotes from people who have within the quotes enough information to make them suspect.

"I don't get how the links are false, when they are documented." The links often don't say what he claims they do. Sometimes they say the exact opposite. He's severely misquoted what Spears, Ito, Spencer, Stinkles, and a long list of others have said.
No, only stinkles by mistake and then it was that "he made room for the possibility that a firmware update may be all that is required."

Stinkles admitted he does not have direct access to Microsoft's hardware group, he is just a developer and I don't believe any developer has information on Launch Console media capability. Then there is this cite for Stinkles showing he does not understand that a UHD disk is a Version 1.4 (25/50GB) or version 2 disk (33/66GB) which can be read by a BD-ROM drive upgraded to BD-R with 2010 specs . Unfortunately there is more to it but it's not a matter of "the existing Xbox One simply can't read or display the denser data on a true 4k Blu Ray". And we have the Launch consoles called UHD Capable in cites; this has more weight. The drive can read the denser data in a version 2 disk but the BDA want's changes to the drive register addresses to keep HD Players from being able to read UHD media and UHD Players from reading HD media.

Someone had a discussion in the thread, said he read the Mount Fuji book and made room for the possibility that the drive could be firmware updated after a back and forth. I thought it was Stinkles....

He was on a tear a few weeks ago about how an independent lab tested UHD functionality in the launch consoles until he realized I was right and that no such testing was actually done.
Two posts, I admitted you were correct and explained why I made that assumption, The Intertek Lab report used the same Tier 2 for media referenced in another letter and in that letter Tier two was for UHD Media support in 2016 for the Launch XB1 and PS4.

Other evidence he's referenced recently includes pre-launch speculation about these consoles' inner workings and a Wikipedia article that actually completely contradicts the claim he was trying to make. A higher-up at Netflix talked about how revised hardware in 2015 would open up support for UHD streaming on the PS4, and Jeff says that he was talking about a software update in 2016. ???
No such hardware revision occurred in 2015 except the 2015 PS4 and no UHD media support in 2015. If Netflix is correct then the 2015 PS4 (Got an upgrade to Southbridge which contains the media TEE) will support UHD media which Adam denies. The XB1 APU contains the Media TEE and it was not updated in 2015, the PS4 APU only contains a VCE which does not support HEVC and can't be used for media, it was not updated but was produced in 2015 by Global foundries using a process that makes it denser and use less power.

The XB1 Slim is releasing the day of the Windows 10 update that requires hardware manufacturers to support TMP 2.0 (DRM security necessary for UHD media) which in the XB1, PS4, AMD APUs and later dGPUs is ARM trustzone. This need for TMP 2.0 is built into the OS for hardware releasing after August 2015 but for OS in hardware released in 2013 and likely 2015 (PS4), the OS needs a major rewrite which will likely occur later this year as the efficientgaming.EU papers state that they are UHD capable and will be firmware updated to support UHD in 2016.

As can be seen above, Adam is debating not discussing UHD Capability.

Audioboxer

A better comparison would be if someone said that Halo 6 is absolutely coming to the PS4 because Microsoft registered microsoft-sony.com, and that's the only possible conclusion. Also, a press listing referenced "Untitled First Person Shooter", which the OP claims any reasonable person could obviously see has to be Halo. If Microsoft and Sony both said "no, Halo 6 is not coming to the PS4", that poster replied that only a handful of people at either company would be privy to this information, and that anyone claiming that a release isn't imminent is lying or ignorant.

8bUHZl3.gif

Not sure if it's related to this or not, but I turned on my PS4 this morning and had to sign into PSN as if it was down. When I went to sign in it said "Join Playstation Network" and I had to accept the ToS to continue. When I did, it made me do my privacy settings and offered PS+, as if I was making a new PSN account. This is my first time doing a beta for firmware but is this normal or some crazy glitch?

kvn

Yusuf Mehdi / Corporate Vice President, Windows and Devices Group who in 2013 stated the XB1 has the hardware to support UHD Blu-ray.wrote a blog article I cited in the last page. In the article and associated links the Windows 10 update today implements TPM 2.0 for APUs and dGPU that Microsoft required firmware updates for from Manufacturers about 4 days before so that support for UHD DRM was in place. Yusuf was promoted and the blog post shows an understanding of the DRM technology needed for UHD BLu-ray, I find him more compelling than the three cites Adam provides that have within them misunderstanding of the technology that make them suspect.

Two slides and a quote from AMD;
1) June of 2015 Microsoft posted that the next firmware update would have a HEVC profile 10 codec for HD media.
2) An AMD slide a week later states the XB1 can game stream to PCs using HEVC, that requires a low latency hardware encoder. (VCE 3)
3) AMD stated that they use the same technology for HEVC that the XB1 uses.
4) Wiki pages have the UVD in AMD APUs and dGPUs using Xtensa DSPs for hardware accelerated codecs. They are up to 100X more efficient than CPUs for vision processing and codecs.
5) AMD dGPUs from 2014 (GCN 1.2) have the same VCE 3 AND UVD 6 that Carrizo has and Carrizo supports full UHD HEVC profile 10 which UHD media will use.
6) Microsoft published the specs for hardware accelerated HEVC codecs in 2013. This consists of 4 special accelerator blocks that are included in the Xtensa DSP block and can be used by other codecs. This is for Software codecs that are hardware accelerated not hardware codecs like VCE. UVD stands for Universal Video Decode as it supports multiple video codecs via software with DSP hardware that may or may not contain the 4 accelerator blocks. With those accelerator blocks Carrizo is more efficient supporting HEVC. VCE is a fixed codec that can not be upgraded and can only support one codec family. It's Low power and latency which is a must for game streaming.
Note: the XB1 has both a h.264 and HEVC hardware codec (VCE) for game streaming while the PS4 only has a h.264.

Point was that all the above point to the technology being ready to support HEVC when the XB1 launched confirming Yusuf's statement that the XB1 has the hardware to support UHD Blu-ray.

efficientgaming.EU calls the Launch XB1 and PS4 UHD Capable with firmware update in 2016, that is not a passing refference. The TMP 2.0 specs for security mentioned at the top of this post were published August 2015 slightly less than two years after the PS4 and XB1 were released. All ARM Trustzone enabled platforms have the hardware to support this from slightly after 2006 and AMD included ARM Trustzone in their APUs from 2010. Both the XB1 and PS4 have ARM trustzone blocks but of course the OS in 2013 could not support TMP 2.0 needed for UHD DRM until after a Firmware update.

I've let others frame the discussion as I correct FACTS:

THESE FACTS outline some of the hardware requirements for UHD Capable I was discussing in 2012 and formed the basis for speculation.

All unencrypted commercial media must be protected in a TEE. Encrypted media enters the TEE and Encrypted media exits the TEE. For UHD BLu-ray, AACS 2 encrypted media enters and HDCP 2.2 exits to HDMI, HDMI over LAN, Miracast, Vidipath and more. For streaming media Playready encrypted (C-ENC) enters and HDCP 2.2 exits.

The above requires all Codecs in the TEE which means the X-86 CPU and GPU or VCE can not be used for commercial media requiring DRM. The TEE in the Xb1 and PS4 is ARM trustzone and all hardware must be on the ARM AXI bus and all memory must be controlled by a ARM IOMMU memory controller slaved to the ARM trustzone processor.

HDCP 2.2 is a routine running in the TEE not the HDMI chip. HDCP 2.2 is mapped to the HDMI chip that only has to support HDMI 2 timings and pass negotiations to the TEE.

HDR (High Dynamic Range) is a routine that adds low bandwidth information to the video that increases Dynamic range. This must be done before HDCP 2.2 and since unencrypted video has to be used, this also must occur in the TEE.

There is no such thing as a UHD Drive. A BD-ROM drive can be firmware updated to support BD-R and those drives from about 2011 follow the BD-R 2010 specs and can read version 1 ( 25/50GB) and version 2 disks (33/66/100 GB) disks. This was the framework for the early arguments. I discovered and posted that in addition UHD licenced drives have firmware changes required to assign drive registers different functions for HD and UHD to keep a HD player from being able to read UHD disks and a UHD player from reading HD disks unless supported and in the proper mode. There is no mention of needing a different drive to support this but no confirmation that a new drive is not needed either.

Adam, each of the above had errors of easily confirmed facts in their statements that make their statements suspect. I've repeated this three times and given you what makes them suspect:

Ito; ALL modern BD-ROM drives can read three layers
Stinkles; ALL modern BD-ROM drives can read version 2 disks which support the data rates for UHD media which Stinkles said was not possible.
Spears; You can not use the X-86 CPU or GPU for DRM media

There is considerable research and logic in my posts. This is apparently lost on you. The goal posts change because I am letting multiple others frame the argument. Most like you dismiss the technical in favor of quotes from people who have within the quotes enough information to make them suspect.

No, only stinkles by mistake and then it was that "he made room for the possibility that a firmware update may be all that is required."

Stinkles admitted he does not have direct access to Microsoft's hardware group, he is just a developer and I don't believe any developer has information on Launch Console media capability. Then there is this cite for Stinkles showing he does not understand that a UHD disk is a Version 1.4 (25/50GB) or version 2 disk (33/66GB) which can be read by a BD-ROM drive upgraded to BD-R with 2010 specs . Unfortunately there is more to it but it's not a matter of "the existing Xbox One simply can't read or display the denser data on a true 4k Blu Ray". And we have the Launch consoles called UHD Capable in cites; this has more weight. The drive can read the denser data in a version 2 disk but the BDA want's changes to the drive register addresses to keep HD Players from being able to read UHD media and UHD Players from reading HD media.

Someone had a discussion in the thread, said he read the Mount Fuji book and made room for the possibility that the drive could be firmware updated after a back and forth. I thought it was Stinkles....

Two posts, I admitted you were correct and explained why I made that assumption, The Intertek Lab report used the same Tier 2 for media referenced in another letter and in that letter Tier two was for UHD Media support in 2016 for the Launch XB1 and PS4.

No such hardware revision occurred in 2015 except the 2015 PS4 and no UHD media support in 2015. If Netflix is correct then the 2015 PS4 (Got an upgrade to Southbridge which contains the media TEE) will support UHD media which Adam denies. The XB1 APU contains the Media TEE and it was not updated in 2015, the PS4 APU only contains a VCE which does not support HEVC and can't be used for media, it was not updated but was produced in 2015 by Global foundries using a process that makes it denser and use less power.

The XB1 Slim is releasing the day of the Windows 10 update that requires hardware manufacturers to support TMP 2.0 (DRM security necessary for UHD media) which in the XB1, PS4, AMD APUs and later dGPUs is ARM trustzone.

That's not even getting into his obsession with divining the secret meaning of sony-microsoft.com or how PS4 + 4.0 = 8, a lucky number in the East.

Pro/con is at least opinion. Technical capabilities are not.

I like how your post doesn't make any sense at all, again.

There is considerable research and logic in my posts.

I'm afraid there is not. Copying shittons of text to make wild assumptions and passing them as facts for the last 6 (!) years has nothing to do with "research and logic" at all.

Not sure if it's related to this or not, but I turned on my PS4 this morning and had to sign into PSN as if it was down. When I went to sign in it said "Join Playstation Network" and I had to accept the ToS to continue. When I did, it made me do my privacy settings and offered PS+, as if I was making a new PSN account. This is my first time doing a beta for firmware but is this normal or some crazy glitch?

Nothing to do with beta, I think it's just a new ToS update.

SZips

What the actual hell is going on in this thread? I came here hoping to see some details about the update, not some nonsense pie in the sky speculation and a pissing match.

Is the only actual speculation for 4.0 the folders? If so, cool. I hope that's true.

Point was that all the above point to the technology being ready to support HEVC when the XB1 launched
"Supporting HEVC" is not the same thing as being able to handle the demands of Ultra HD Blu-ray. If someone can benchpress 100 pounds, it doesn't mean he can benchpress 4,000 pounds. There is no argument that the Xbox One can decode HEVC video. There's no argument that the Xbox One's software decoder can handle UHD HEVC video, at least to a point. There is no indication that it can decode 100Mbps UHD HEVC video as that would require a dedicated, hardware decoder that there's no indication that the Xbox One has.

efficientgaming.EU calls the Launch XB1 and PS4 UHD Capable with firmware update in 2016
That's an invention of yours. Nothing even vaguely along those lines is stated.

There is no such thing as a UHD Drive.
A whole bunch of people from Microsoft and Sony certainly disagree. Since it's so easy to find credible, knowledgeable people saying that a new optical drive is needed, why can't you find literally a single statement from anyone saying that it's not? You yourself have even said that you only just think that all the necessary changes are possible with a firmware update.

Nope. You've done this over and over and over. For example, you claimed Stacey Spears said:
We tried to use the CPU and GPU for a Netflix codec but it was too slow.

What he actually said:
The software could only do Netflix 24p UHD at 15Mbps. It could not handle UHD BD bitrates or framerates at all.

...which is, of course, the opposite of what you claimed.

As can be seen above, Adam is debating not discussing UHD Capability.
What are you talking about?

Black Hat

Give up Jeff. The Xbox One S is out now with UHD support.

Neither the PS4 or Xbox One will get UHD Blu... not even worth discussing anymore.

Oni Jazar

There are far more immature disruptive people on here. He does not bash anyone, shit post, troll, or hell, wear a console on his shoulder jumping into threads and disrupting based on fanatic bias.

He just rambles on about tech, nothing more, lol.

How the hell does him posting detailed information on tech updates derail a threa, it's your choice to read it.

When I say he's disruptive I mean when he posts the thread gets undoubtedly flooded with "lol i don't know what this means but I trust in rigby", "oh here we go again", "can someone please explain what this means in English?" and (if we're lucky) it takes forever for someone who actually knows something to say what a load of malarkey it all is.

Kysen

Jeff always provides the best entertainment to tech threads. You have the people who can see past his BS and the people who are like 'maybe he's right this time! I mean all these fancy words and terms that i don't understand, he must surely know a lot right?"

How he's managed to stay with the same type of gimmick for years and years i'll never get. even back in his days on Beyond3D he was doing the same sort of thing, that's why he got banned from there.

Its the exact same shit misterx uses to keep his believers coming back. Its pretty obvious by now he has no idea what he is talking about.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
When I say he's disruptive I mean when he posts the thread gets undoubtedly flooded with "lol i don't know what this means but I trust in rigby", "oh here we go again", "can someone please explain what this means in English?" and (if we're lucky) it takes forever for someone who actually knows something to say what a load of malarkey it all is.

That is on those individuals. They are in control of themselves. I know what you mean, but the blame should lie upon them. Nobody holds a gun to their head, at least I hope not, with hitting the 'submit reply' button.

Keeping thinking details on FW 4.0 have shown up. Disappointed every single time.

Yeah, lol.

But you know there will be a new thread or 3 with the details the second it does, lol.

Danlord

Nothing to do with beta, I think it's just a new ToS update.

I can confirm this, it's a new Terms of Service agreement. I didn't log into my PS4 this morning but I did on the web to add the August PS+ games and I was automatically logged out. When I went to sign in, it asked me to agree to the new Terms of Service. I did and signed in normally. I even got a new email from Sony as a 'copy for your records'. Went on PS4 to download Rebel Galaxy and no issues there.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Nope. You've done this over and over and over. For example, you claimed Stacey Spears said:

What he actually said:

...which is, of course, the opposite of what you claimed.

What are you talking about?

Originally Posted by jeff_rigby

Why doesn't Jeff actually quote the things we allegedly said, but instead paraphrase and distort them?

Can't we go back to the good old days where we hope for folders and other things, but all we get unrelated things and stability?
That's still me.

The only thing left that I want is folders/filters/hiding and I'm sure we will get cool (read: useless) features like events or communities or stickers or vidipath or EME MSE playready or HEVC or

oh god it's spreading

Planet

Hello Jeff Rigby, seems like Albert Penello has read your essays: XD
Albert Penello said:
I have seen people online believe that you can do a 'firmware' upgrade to our existing BD drive to support 4K, but that's not true. In addition to DSP firmware updates, the drive in the Xbox One S also includes a new optical pickup to support three-layer UHD Blu-ray format discs. Plus HDMI 2.0 video output with HDCP 2.2 copy protection is also a BD-UHD certification requirement, both of which are included in Xbox One S and weren't implemented on the other Xbox One consoles.
But what does Microsoft's senior director of product marketing and planning know? Either nothing or he's just lying...

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Not a whole lot based on the horse shit he was spouting before the Xbone launch.

What he's said aligns with what Stinkles and Stacey Spears have also said, the latter in the particular being the foremost authority on the media capabilities of the X1 (who no longer works at MS, at that).

What he's said aligns with what Stinkles and Stacey Spears have also said, the latter in the particular being the foremost authority on the media capabilities of the X1 (who no longer works at MS, at that).

I agree but he should've mentioned all three sources instead, not just appealed to authority when said authority has a history of spreading misinformation.

autoduelist

It's already too late to pull a feature before the beta starts, and when it starts the information will be "out there."

Why not just announce it now?

No, it's not. I've pulled/delayed features during betas before. I don't work for Sony, but if something arises during beta stress testing that lets them know a feature can't handle millions of users, I have no doubt they'd pull it.

I don't understand the urgency to need to know what features it has. We'll get them eventually.

Planet

Not a whole lot based on the horse shit he was spouting before the Xbone launch.
His job back then was to defend the undefendable. So naturally he told a load of nonsense. But when did he outright lie about straight technical facts?

This is different, he says they needed to change the identical pickup and upgrade a chip or two to support needed technical standards. This is either fully true or not, not the grey zone bullshit babbling of the past to distract from unpopular plans.

No, it's not. I've pulled/delayed features during betas before. I don't work for Sony, but if something arises during beta stress testing that lets them know a feature can't handle millions of users, I have no doubt they'd pull it.

I said before the beta starts, not during it.

Rymuth

His job back then was to defend the undefendable. So naturally he told a load of nonsense. But when did he outright lie about straight technical facts?
Crushed Blacks.

The console doesn't output the lower values. It's broken. Been discussed many times. Microsoft needs to get on it and fix it.
We fixed that in one of the first updates.
And of course, the subsequent posts proved him wrong.

There are also instances with him thinking Europe is a country...so, you know, excuse people for not thinking Penello is the Library of Alexandria.

This is different, he says they needed to change the identical pickup and upgrade a chip or two to support needed technical standards. This is either fully true or not, not the grey zone bullshit babbling of the past to distract from unpopular plans.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=80168873&postcount=708
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=80951633&postcount=195

Defending the undefendable is not a valid excuse for spouting complete bullshit and accusing your competitor of lying about their specs. He has no credibility.

Planet

I just assumed Penello gave the technical details as he got them from the tech guys. So, ok, not the best source for sure.

I still think he got his facts better than Jeff this time, though... :j

Top Bottom