• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation 4 Firmware 4.0 beta registration now open

LordOfChaos

I want it!

So...What is it?

I wonder since the Neo has the same 8GB RAM as the PS4 yet lists 512MB more available, if an update like this will release that 512MB for both. Maybe not this one, but maybe after Neo launches.

Because they CAN reproduce 4K at 30hz [upper limit of HDMI 1.4]. This makes jack shit to regular users who want to use Netflix/UHD BD 4K content [which require latest HDCP].

End of story, again.
All HDMI 1.3 and greater can support the same but they are called HD capable (PS4 Xbox 360). Start of story. HDCP 2.2 is software in the TEE mapped to the HDMI chip. HDCP 2.2 is also used for Miracast, Play ready and more.

This is fact not speculation. You do not know what HDCP 2.2 does.

So... what can we expect on this update?

It doesn't seems to be substantial as it doesn't have a cool code name like Masamune or Kenshin.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
These updates are really giving the PS4 legs and a long tail. Right now mine looks like a headless T-Rex.

5taquitos

Anyone else thinking/hoping it is a bigger update than usual since it is v4?

Eh, 3.0 had a lot of features added, but most were really ho-hum and half-baked (events, communities, favorite groups) and didn't include virtually any of the most-requested features. I wouldn't get your hopes up for 4.0....

bitbydeath

Eh, 3.0 had a lot of features added, but most were really ho-hum and half-baked (events, communities, favorite groups) and didn't include virtually any of the most-requested features. I wouldn't get your hopes up for 4.0....

I had meant 4 as in PS4 being why it could be bigger.

Just remembered this survey:

PS4-Firmware-Update-4.0-Survey-screenshot-700x482.png

So I think at least some of the still missing features on there must be on their roadmap for this 4.0 update.

As "None of these" is an option, the legitimacy of this survey is unquestionable...

Honestly, I'd just like to remove the Beta stuff in my library on PS4. Anything else is bonus, external hdd/folders cool, but not essential for me right now...

After three years the biggest addition at this point should be a mini UI overhaul with personal background wallpapers, customizable icons, folders etc.

After three years the biggest addition at this point should be a mini UI overhaul with personal background wallpapers, customizable icons, folders etc.
I was just thinking yesterday about how nice it is that Sony doesn't change their UI all the time. Maybe being able to hide things from your library would be good

Electret

It would be nice if Sony re-enabled support for the in-line mic in my Bose headphones. I don't think that will ever happen, though.

Gator86

Doesn't even need an overhaul. Just add all of the fucking standard features every other OS on the planet has. Folders and customizable backgrounds are on basically everything device running on electricity.

Danlord

So what features are you all hoping can be added in the 4.0 update?

Two-Factor Authentication - It still hasn't been implemented yet but Sony has confirmed it's coming. Just no idea when. Firmware 4.00 seems like a big milestone to hit for it.
http://www.polygon.com/2016/4/20/11470660/psn-two-factor-authentication-playstation-network

External HDD Support - There's no evidence yet for it, but it's something that's oft-requested, especially since both the Wii U and Xbox One has it. Sony recently upgraded the support for internal HDD support from 2TB to 4TB. Many external HDD's support well over 2TB and it would make sense to make this software upgrade for internal HDD's first, then move onto external.

Gifting - Gifting! It should be here by now. They added Wishlist not too long ago, and then people suspected they were preparing for adding a gifting functionality. Me and my friend would use this so much if it happened, especially when games are on big PS+ sale and other friends don't have much money or we'd like them to try some stuff out. We do this on Steam, and would get a lot of use out of it on PS4.

Not sure what else I want to be honest. I'm welcome to any additions they bring.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
So what features are you all hoping can be added in the 4.0 update?

There are two things I wish the PS4 had:

• New library sorting options I've got a few hundred digital games on my PS4, along with about 100 physical games (quite a few of which are installed) and having everything in one big list is starting to be a nightmare. Ideally I would be able to create folders and be able to assign individual games to folder(s).
  • PS1 Classics support aka the only reason I still have my PS3 hooked up at all. I know they've been saying "this is coming" for years, but I'm starting to lose hope. I suspect we'll just be SOL when it comes to playing PS1 games, as they'll probably re-release them with upscaling and trophy support (like PS2 classics) and make us all re-purchase everything.

All I want is support for game installs on an external HDD. As someone who likes his games available to play at a moment's notice this is unacceptable. I already have a 2TB HDD in my ps4 and it's a pain to have to delete and reinstall stuff.

We are in 2016. Xbox and Wii U support this feature. Yes even the Wii U supports it. The PS4 must support this feature.

Stoffinator

One thing we do know for sure it. This update will remove Ustream from the system. Since they announced that its support will stop in August.

Unknown?

All I want is support for game installs on an external HDD. As someone who likes his games available to play at a moment's notice this is unacceptable. I already have a 2TB HDD in my ps4 and it's a pain to have to delete and reinstall stuff.

We are in 2016. Xbox and Wii U support this feature. Yes even the Wii U support it. The PS4 must support this feature.

Yeah that's what I want too. I have nearly 90 PS4 games and I'm deleting stuff already!

I am sort of convinced that this update will contain some form of video chat. I believe that's why they emphasized add your friends. Now will this included folders ?

Out of conspiracy theory frame of mind. I won't be surprised to see PS4 Neo only having the ability to contain folders. The PS4 Neo has to have some kind of perks over the standard PS4 interface.

Hope for the best :)

There are two things I wish the PS4 had:

• New library sorting options I've got a few hundred digital games on my PS4, along with about 100 physical games (quite a few of which are installed) and having everything in one big list is starting to be a nightmare. Ideally I would be able to create folders and be able to assign individual games to folder(s).
  • PS1 Classics support aka the only reason I still have my PS3 hooked up at all. I know they've been saying "this is coming" for years, but I'm starting to lose hope. I suspect we'll just be SOL when it comes to playing PS1 games, as they'll probably re-release them with upscaling and trophy support (like PS2 classics) and make us all re-purchase everything.

I think that rebuying stuff isn't even the worst part really, it is that the releases have to start over from scratch, which so far has led to a miserable drip feed for PS2 on PS4 games. A far cry from anything that would really capitalize on the amazing back catalog of PS1 and PS2 games.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I think that rebuying stuff isn't even the worst part really, it is that the releases have to start over from scratch, which so far has led to a miserable drip feed for PS2 on PS4 games. A far cry from anything that would really capitalize on the amazing back catalog of PS1 and PS2 games.

This. Rebuying is not the issue, since this is now commonplace on all 3 systems. It is the nature of the process to add features which makes it slow to get the games wanted.

So is this the update where they will finally add an AI companion that we can talk & interact with, but can also join us in coop/multiplayer as a 2ND player?

Gamezone

Gold Member
PS4 and XB1 are called UHD capable by Sony, Microsoft and a testing lab. HDCP2.2 takes place in the trust zone TEE and the PS4 HAS A CUSTOM HDMI chip. Start of story.

A BD-R drive (PS4) CAN READ A UHD disk.

Just curious. Are both consoles using the same Bluray drive?

Top Bottom