• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation 4 firmware Ver.3.0 is currently beta tested

thuway

Probably the weakest mainline update to date for PS4.

1. Where are folders?
2. Better/Streamlined media playback. The FAT32 restriction and the lack of support for file types such as FLAC are awful.
3. Uncompressed/High Quality capture uploads.
4. Support for external harddrives.

C'mon Sony :/.

dracula_x

Here you go guys. I passed it through every language on google translate to make sure we didn't miss anything. I highlighted the important parts.

It's new in this beta, version 3.00, which is important,
Now you can connect your tub.
14:50 Son of the changes, announced a week after the law came two weeks, and I believe that the time may be long.

finally, lol

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
So, is there a way to get the update early by doing some port forwarding tricks on your router like last time?

finally, lol

Hell yeah, just jump in an--

0xowvbi.gif

All I really want is folders, with pin-able items so I better control over what's visible on my home screen (and the items I use aren't constantly pushed out of the way by updated games and apps). Just more customisation in general, like being able to use my own photos as the background instead of the crap themes on offer. Basic stuff really.

Maybe i'm getting too old but I couldn't care less about the social feed stuff.

Nesther

Another update, and still no increase in the 1g cloud storage. We're never getting the upgrade, huh?

Also besides the Community feature this doesn't seem to be a significant enough patch to warrant the big 3.0. Unless the Community feature is as life-altering good as say Miiverse or Steam.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Can we turn off automatic trophy screenshots?
Can we change our PSN IDs?
Can we edit our PSN avatars on PS4?
Can we we upload more than a handful of game saves to the cloud?

No? No? No? No?

Oh. Good update, though, I guess?

Metfanant

is it really that hard to get a notification when a friend signs on?...damn...even if you're worried about constant notifications for those with lots of friends its an easy fix. Allow us to set "favorite" friends...and only get notifications about them signing on...or even default it to off, and we have to go in and manually check which friends we want notifications from...

oh, and seriously...actual external drive support would be awesome...

I feel your pain. Guess I'm stuck being an asshole and ignoring my friends while I'm watching Netflix/HBO/single player game until the next major firmware update :p

It boggles my mind that we are approaching 2 years of the PS4 being out in the wild and we still don't have friend signed on notifications or appear offline. Maybe they will get it done before the 2 year mark.

Garlador

Probably the weakest mainline update to date for PS4.

1. Where are folders?
2. Better/Streamlined media playback. The FAT32 restriction and the lack of support for file types such as FLAC are awful.
3. Uncompressed/High Quality capture uploads.
4. Support for external harddrives.

C'mon Sony :/.

Pretty much this.

Toss in PSN store support for some of those PS1 classics too, while they're at it. Or PS1 and PS2 backwards compatibility.

I'm beyond ready for a new UI layout too...

atomsk

Party Pooper
Considering my YT subs is at 18k compared to 91 twitch subs... this is great news.

Except they haven't rolled out the livestreaming beta to my YT account yet. (I've got some friends with less subs who have it, seems to be a bit random)

Faustek

Main Points

[Events] has been added to the main menu. From a PlayStation-related events list, you can now discover, participate, and view events.
[Community] has been added to the [Friends] menu. [Community] is a feature that lets you find close players with similar preferences and interests. You can create a new community or join a previously established community. Through the community, you can get into games and parties, and discuss common interests.
In [Now Playing], users will see a list of what users are playing, and from that list can easily start a game or form a party. You can also request to view a user’s gameplay. [Now Playing] has been added to What’s New, [Friends], [Community], and [Messages].
[Messages] have been improved. You can view the [Now Playing] of other users, as well as easily start a party. Additionally, you can also add favorite groups to your favorites list.
It is now possible to broadcast using YouTube.
It is now possible to upload video clips to Twitter. (10 seconds maximum.)

[Live from PlayStation] has been improved. Not only does it support broadcasts, it now supports video clips and screenshots.
Settings

In [Settings] > [Accessibility] > [Automatic Scroll Speed] it is now possible to change the speed of automatic scrolling.
In [Settings] > [Notifications], “Community Items,” “Gameplay Viewing Requests,” “Events,” and “Current Song” have been added.
Miscellaneous

You can now comment on What’s New activity feed items.
[Stamps] have been added to [Messages], allowing for more enjoyable communication with friends.
[PlayStation Plus] has been added to the main menu. Here, you can get the latest information on the Instant Game Collection and member discounts.
The Blu-ray Disc/DVD player now supports accessibility features. The scope of other accessibility features have been improved.
You can now set game start-up restrictions while viewing its age information and rating icon.
You can now create a child’s use sub-account from the user selection screen by selecting [New User].
From [Settings] > [Parental Control], you can now set a service to block harmful websites from being displayed. (There is a separate fee to use this service.)
Thanks, PocketNews.

This so much bullshit. Since when the fuck was a gaming console turned into some effing PlayStation variation of twitter? Ooh friends here, community there yada fucking yada. Fuck friends, fuck people and fuck random people an extra time. Nah give me PS1/2 BC.

Only good thing was the accessibility settings for those that need that and again fuck everything else here.

see5harp

is it really that hard to get a notification when a friend signs on?...damn...even if you're worried about constant notifications for those with lots of friends its an easy fix. Allow us to set "favorite" friends...and only get notifications about them signing on...or even default it to off, and we have to go in and manually check which friends we want notifications from...

oh, and seriously...actual external drive support would be awesome...

It seems like they are adding favorite to friends. I do want friends notifications but only for favorites.

Youtube broadcasting is very interesting since The Verge recently published an article about Youtube doing better at livestreaming than Twitch.

I hope that is not all for v3.0. Folders and custom backgrounds would be nice, too.

I'd like to be able to turn the "What's New" stream off.

I imagine that won't happen as they are probably generating ad revenue from the stream. If they aren't I am surprised they haven't leveraged what's new as an ad platform like Facebook feeds. I'm also disappointed they haven't leveraged ads in What's New to support the Vita, but that's another story.

Artex

Banned
Community sounds great. I can categorize all the people who friend me for being elite in TLOU from my IRL peeps.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
What a bullshit update ...

Top Bottom