• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation 4 firmware Ver.3.0 is currently beta tested

Rogan

Banned
I need the 'recently met players' function to work.

I need to ventilate my hate at FIFA players when I lose.

Human_me

All I really want is PS1/PS2 Classics (and BC for those discs, I guess).

I would be happy with just PS1 classics.
I personally don't mind if they don't do disc support.
Just let me buy and download them digitally.

The fact that there is PS1 compatibility on the PS2, PS3, PSP and Vita makes me wonder why it isn't on the PS4. It should be easy enough to accomplish.

vg260

Ugh, Sony's really not doing a very good job with highly requested basic functionality updates. Hope this is not all.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
All I really want is PS1/PS2 Classics (and BC for those discs, I guess).

The lack of PS1 compatibility is mind boggling. The PS3, PSP and Vita have a software based PS1 emulator. How difficult is it to port that emulator to the PS4?

LAM09

YouTube streaming will be a good addition. However, I hope it adds a few more features that aren't mentioned.

Sephzilla

I really want the ability to update PSN IDs but I have a strong feeling that on the database side of things Sony made PSN IDs some kind of primary key or something that makes changing things a pain

Sounds boring...?

Where's:

- Friend login notifications
- Favorite friends (with notification?)
- Party chat text chat notifications (like PS3)
- Change our PS4 avatars? Buy avatars on PS4?
- Folders
- Idle, Appear Offline status etc...
- Be able to deactivate trophies for games (aka they look like they're removed)
- Save / Lock messages

Probably the weakest mainline update to date for PS4.

1. Where are folders?
2. Better/Streamlined media playback. The FAT32 restriction and the lack of support for file types such as FLAC are awful.
3. Uncompressed/High Quality capture uploads.
4. Support for external harddrives.

C'mon Sony :/.

Pretty much this.

Toss in PSN store support for some of those PS1 classics too, while they're at it. Or PS1 and PS2 backwards compatibility.

I'm beyond ready for a new UI layout too...

Give me that external hard drive support and PS1 & 2 classics and I'm happy. I'm surprised this is all we're getting with the 3.0 update. I'm hoping there is more they just aren't talking about yet.

Mandelbo

No mention of further customisation options (custom wallpapers, folders, more flow colours, etc)? Quite disappointing, if those features are all the update has to offer. I can't see myself using many of them.

Walpurgis

Banned
Sounds boring...?

Where's:

- Friend login notifications
- Favorite friends (with notification?)
- Party chat text chat notifications (like PS3)
- Change our PS4 avatars? Buy avatars on PS4?
- Folders
- Idle, Appear Offline status etc...
- Be able to deactivate trophies for games (aka they look like they're removed)
- Save / Lock messages
They should worry less about 10 second Twitter videos and more about this (and unlimited cloud saves).

Come on Sony, step it up with your updates! I've got both consoles and I tend to lean Sony but lately Microsoft is killing it between their new backwards compatibility, promised win10 update and the amazing best buy sale. Hoping that this competition breeds growth for both.

so youtube streaming, twitter clips, and finding people that live nearby that are into the same things?

eh. not exactly mind bending stuff.

It's not. Certainly not as drastic or evolutionary compared to Xbone. But, any improvements are always welcome no matter what.

Lupercal

Banned
Looks like a great update, now if only the mediaplayer would locate all video files and not only those in folders.

Good thing they aren't wasting time with BC though, that will be deader than the dodo in a year.

Nameless

A little underwhelming at first glance, but I'll wait to hear more. You'd think v3.0 would at least be as impactful as v2.5

Troy

Banned
If it doesn't have friend login notifications, folders, and gets rid of that stupid Discover notification, then boo to them.

... Microsoft is killing it between their new backwards compatibility and the amazing best buy sale

Uhhh... what?

Sony is hosting a month long summer sale with new game deals every week? (Not to mention weekly deals every week for PSPlus members and a steady flow of flash sales). How is this worse than whatever Best Buy is doing?

Faustek

He asked for an example, I gave him two. Point being don't be bummed because we don't know what this update will have we just know what's in the beta.

True enough.

I still say fuckmtbis community shit
I know people will love it, at least some but I'm tired, hungry and pissed since work was shitty today so fuck it all and let me be selfish for a few hours.

crinale

Come on Sony, step it up with your updates! I've got both consoles and I tend to lean Sony but lately Microsoft is killing it between their new backwards compatibility and the amazing best buy sale. Hoping that this competition breeds growth for both.

Honestly as long as PS4 is selling in current rate they have very less reason to rush their update, but yeah I wish competition will force them to spill features they are intentionally holding (just my guess but I'm pretty sure they are).

However Sony tends to put no meaning in "*.0" version so I'll just wait for updates in future. It was 2.50 when they added suspend/resume feature which seems pretty major..

Blanquito

I guess I'm one of the few that are actually excited for some of the features they're bringing in this update.

Though I'm lucky in that I created my PSN name only 2 years ago :D

Community and YouTube Broadcasting is the only good thing here.

Everything else is trash tbh. This can't be a major update within the last 3-6 months and these are the only things they could come up with in this time. I'm really getting tired of this shit tbh.

Top Bottom