• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation 4 firmware Ver.3.0 is currently beta tested

Can we turn off automatic trophy screenshots?
Can we change our PSN IDs?
Can we edit our PSN avatars on PS4?
Can we we upload more than a handful of game saves to the cloud?

No? No? No? No?

Oh. Good update, though, I guess?

We can edit our avatars from the ps4. We just can't purchase any new avatars or change to avatars we purchased through the PS3 App Store from the ps4. It's so stupid

I guess I'm one of the few that are actually excited for some of the features they're bringing in this update.

Though I'm lucky in that I created my PSN name only 2 years ago :D
No its cool stuff...but folders and more customization in general have been asked for since launch basically. The name change thing was addressed at least, shu said it was an engineering problem and not even probable to be fixed.

But the UI needs updating and tweaks and its not at the bottom of any blogspolls. If Sony is paying attention it's pretty obvious.

I hope some negative feedback gets back to shu on this and they add in the most requested features, even if it means pushing back the release of 3.0

KalBalboa

Banned
YouTube broadcasting is a nice add. I'm scratching my head over anything else I really want outside of PS classics support.

urbanOSU

Banned
Just a thought, most likely this is a quick overview, and not the complete list. Good to see Sony continues to improve the ps4. Now Shu, start putting some pressure on your exclusive studios to start pumping out some games.

Dynasty8

Sony is simply doing it wrong. Sorry guys, I play on my PS4 everyday, but I'm sick of the lack of basic features.

-People want friend notifications.

-People want folders (I have over 20 digital titles...everything is unorganized)

-People want to change their PSN Id's (some of us have had the same one since 2008)

-People want Pins/Bookmarks for their favorite apps.

Really...should it be this difficult? It's been almost two years since the PS4 has been out.

If anything this should jump start the #BetterPSN campaign again, it's been dwindling for 2 weeks now. We know at least Shu is listening indirectly responding to a few posts.

Reule

YouTube Broadcasting and Community are good but I'm still waiting on worthwhile features like, I don't know. being able to see when your friends come online! I'd like to be able to change premium avatars too but notifications when your friends sign in should be priority.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
A little underwhelming at first glance, but I'll wait to hear more. You'd think v3.0 would at least be as impactful as v2.5
There's probably more. The last firmware beta only had some network/new functionality features included and there was more in the full release. There could also be significant improvements on the dev side that could it make a full numbered version release which we wouldn't be privy too.

YouTube broadcasting is a nice add. I'm scratching my head over anything else I really want outside of PS classics support.
Yea the list is honestly not that long on what to fix. Folders custom background and some UIApp tweaks is all that's needed. I'll wait since this isn't an official announcement, but its pretty clear what fans are clamoring for. Really feels like that poster who said

Fans ask for A B C D

Sony gives us W X Z M2

Smh..when will the plystation division get top tier software developers for there hardware.

Sony is simply doing it wrong. Sorry guys, I play on my PS4 everyday, but I'm sick of the lack of basic features.

-People want folders (I have over 20 digital titles...everything is unorganized)

-People want to change their PSN Id's (some of us have had the same one since 2008)

Really...should it be this difficult? It's been almost two years since the PS4 has been out.

Even more basic stuff like changing backgrounds and purchasing avatars or access premium avatars purchased on the PS3.

What about a notification that tells me that friend xY is online?

Imo the PS4 OS needs a redesign. If they really want all this social crap, it needs to look better.

The Xbone OS handles this better IMO. Its easy to see what friends share etc.

On PS4 its just a clusterfuck.

I hope some day, sony will get a Firmware team in the west. So that we can get stuff faster and more functional.

Nesther

Pretty much this. Before you target specific users that might benefit from share features like twitter and youtube videos/broadcasting, you should improve the quality for all users, by introducing features everyone will benefit from.

Stick with the basics.

dealer-

oh please be something about changing PSN IDs...

....... I'm getting deja vu.........

2008: please allow changing PSN IDs
2009: please allow changing PSN IDs
2010: please allow changing PSN IDs
2011: please allow changing PSN IDs
2012: please allow changing PSN IDs
2013: please allow changing PSN IDs
2014: please allow changing PSN IDs

Now I'm seeing visions of the future.........

2016: please allow changing PSN IDs
2017: please allow changing PSN IDs
2018: please allow changing PSN IDs
2019: please allow changing PSN IDs
2020: please allow changing PSN IDs

It's never going to happen is it? :(

Wow that change-list is brutal when you look over at what Microsoft is doing with their new OS overhaul, how did this even get a .0.

awake

Generally speaking I have no idea about databases: how hard is it to make PSN ID's changeable when the ID itself is Primary Key?

I want folders, changable IDs and I'm really pissed because there are still no custom wallpapers..

rawd

As much as I love trophies.. I really want to turn off the auto screenshot thing. I dont' send them to anyone or post them.

Nesther

There's probably more. The last firmware beta only had some network features included and there was more in the full release. There could also be significant improvements on the dev side that could it make a full numbered version release which we wouldn't be privy too.

That's not true. The last major beta (for firmware 2.50) revealed everything, including suspend, button mapping and 60fps remoteplay.

dralla

None of this sounds great to me, meh. Fix your UI, separate games and apps, allow folders and sorting options, etc. Increase cloud save storage. There's are top priority for me

androvsky

The best part is this will be the last major firmware update until March of next year, judging by the way Sony's been doing these.

:(

Toki767

The lack of PS1 compatibility is mind boggling. The PS3, PSP and Vita have a software based PS1 emulator. How difficult is it to port that emulator to the PS4?

I kind of think the reason they're taking a while with it is that they'd rather not have it simply just emulate a PS1 in its own environment like the PS3. They'd probably rather be able to include Share features and all that stuff.

yurinka

Looks great, but doesn't sound too stable.
Youtube and twitter videos are awesome news for me.

Probably the weakest mainline update to date for PS4.

1. Where are folders?
2. Better/Streamlined media playback. The FAT32 restriction and the lack of support for file types such as FLAC are awful.
3. Uncompressed/High Quality capture uploads.
4. Support for external harddrives.

C'mon Sony :/.
This, please.
I want to disable per friend the 'this random friend started a party / is online / etc' notifications

Danlord

Is it possible this update is coming this week, given the PS+ Voting is starting this thursday
Vote for Grow Home!

button assignments and sub accounts to master account where not present in the last beta yet it was released in 2.50

He asked for an example, I gave him two. Point being don't be bummed because we don't know what this update will have we just know what's in the beta.

http://gematsu.com/2015/03/ps4-firmware-2-50-adds-suspend-resume

button assignments was mentioned before the 2.50 update. the fact remains that this is a very uninspired update and the XB1 gets these kinds of updates almost every month.

I expect the next FW after this to arrive some time in Fall or Winter. the features in these updates doesn't justify the amount of time it takes to implement them. the only explanation I can think of is that the FW team is very small, single digits small.

Vaev

http://pocketnews.cocolog-nifty.com/pkns/2015/08/ps4300-d2c6.html

I did rough translation.

Lock if old

- "Event" menu is added that allows you to find events related to Playstation, join them and watch them.
- "Community" is added to "friend" menu that allows you to make new community or join existing ones.
- "Now Playing" is added to "friend", "community", "message" and profile screen that allows you to display games members are currently playing. You can request to join their games or
request to broadcast the game.
- "Message" function has been improved that it displays "now playing" and allows you to start party easily. You can add groups to your favorite list
- You can broadcast via Youtube
- You can upload short (10 sec) game clips to twitter.

Also there's a mention about creating sub account for kids, parental controls and such.

I welcome any improvements to the Friends/Social/Party system.

AwRy108

This is the biggest missing feature, IMHO.

Also, the Capture Gallery and Live From PlayStation apps need to be permanently placed somewhere on the UI; otherwise, you have to dig though your library to find them.

Oh, and speaking of the Library: PLEASE STOP SHOWING THE ALPHAS, BETAS, DEMOS, TRIALS, ETC. So lame.

Nice list. Like being able to trash talk in activities, like on the vita.

The OS is already solid. As long as they keep the clutter down it's all good.

....oh and give peeps their friend on/off notifications. Everything else in these wish lists are subjective.

androvsky

They do one major update every 3 months or so.

Is it 3 months? Feels like it's been six. 3.0 won't hit until September most likely, when was the last big one?

*checks wiki*
2.5 was March, so about six months between 2.5 and 3.0.
2.0 was October 2014, so about six months...
1.7 was April, so another six month gap. Well, at least 1.75 added 3D bluray, so that would be a 3 month interval there, if you count that as a major update.
1.6 was February, but that was a fairly minor bugfix update, mainly added wireless headphone support.

It's basically six months. It was a bit faster at launch with a few smaller updates like 1.6, but the big ones have been every six months since it came out. I don't think any of us are counting stability updates here.

Top Bottom