• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale Discussion Thread 2 (read OP first)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boss Man

So if this whole marketing debacle thing is for real, someone ought to make a thread. If the confirmation is legit of course.

I'm really interested in seeing everyone's reaction, I'm waiting anxiously with my corndog stick in my corndog butt.

Mr. Fix

I have lost all faith in superbot and is very close to me dubbing them superfail.

1. The roster is horrible not even hitting ONE of the most demanded characters. ( crash, cloud snake, spyro)

2. the beta leak not rep the final product was bull crap I have seen nothing that was not included in the beta leak and seems to be a mistruth.

3. why in god's name would you release all characters 2 and half months before the game is announced. It's just a disaster.

4. 14 stages is just low, and 20 characters is ridicules I thought my expectation of 25 was low.

I have to correct this, as SuperBot deserves some credit.

1. They hit the right first-party characters; third-parties are still ass though.

2. We're never completely sure unless they give a blowout of info on the modes.

3. This I'm not sure. I agree, that even with the leak, they could have done what Capcom did and stuck with the reveal schedule, unless this was the original plan to have them all revealed by PAX.

4. For the first game, I think 14 is pretty decent- definitely not at Melee or Brawl's tier though.

I'm just laughing at the fact that Paul Gale was teasing even more reveals when there is none. For shame on him.

I get that he wants to hype the game especially when his friend is working at SB but his hype did more harm than good in the end. He did reveal his cards a few days ago when he basically stated ''Nobody cares if the reveals are DLC or on disc''. In the end it seems Mink and Gale did have the same info but Mink just told it as it is while Gale ''twisted'' the info to sound better than it was. Of course people care if the characters are on disc or DLC...

I can still hope 1st party DLC will be free like Starhawk. Best damage control SB could do now for those who got burned.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Totally agree but the problem is that the proper pre-launch hype and early sales will completely determine whether or not Sony decides to truly support this game with DLC the likes of Kat, Crash and Ico characters.

Don't think for a second that we're getting any DLC characters if this game bombs.

If people would like specifics, I'll happily PM them what I pm'd you post-edit. But yeah, that's thread-worthy stuff.

I think people would like specifics about this. I know I do. PR is important for sales which is important for what games get made in the future. Besides, trainwrecks and failures are always interesting to hear about.

I guess its not suprising that PR was under fire since they tagged that PSAS video with SSB, and put up that poll revealing Big Daddy and Drake before E3. Even beyond the Paul Gale and beta stuff, thats some really terrible things that obviously came directly from PR.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I get that he wants to hype the game especially when his friend is working at SB but his hype did more harm than good in the end. He did reveal his cards a few days ago when he basically stated ''Nobody cares if the reveals are DLC or on disc''. In the end it seems Mink and Gale did have the same info but Mink just told it as it is while Gale ''twisted'' the info to sound better than it was. Of course people care if the characters are on disc or DLC...

I can still hope 1st party DLC will be free like Starhawk. Best damage control SB could do now for those who got burned.

He did, and that was part of the reason I looked down on the things he was doing here.

B.O.O.M

guiz guiz

what if THIS is the work of the NEW PR team of sony?! To make us put our guard down

and

BAM! Bunch of new reveals!

guiz?

lol

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I was sold by the mere concept of this game, the fact that the game is actually awesome should solidify everybody :p

Nope. It'll never be enough for people that are bigger fans of third party characters than Sony's IPs. The game simply isn't for them if that's the case. I don't think it's wrong to not like PlayStation exclusive/original IPs, but that's kind of what this game is about.

Maybe this will help some people (Noi, perhaps), understand why I'm pumped for this game:

1) Uncharted - I love this series. Nathan Drake is one of my favorite new characters this console generation.
2) God of War - One of my favorite PS franchises since it's debuts. Kratos is the shit, and I've loved every single game in the series I've played (1-3, CoO, and GoS). I fricking LOVE that he is in this game, and I mained him during the beta.
3) inFAMOUS - inFAMOUS is probably one of my favorite new IPs this generation, even if Cole isn't a fraction of the awesome that Nate Drake and number 3 down there is.
4) LittleBigPlanet - Sackboy is probably the best character Sony has produced in the entire PlayStation history. He is charming, endearing, iconic, just god damn loveable. LBP is a fantastic series, and I'm addicted to the Vita version at the moment.
5) Ratchet and Clank - My favorite of the "Platformer Trio". I've loved each of the main games in the series, and the spin-offs have been decent, if not amazing. A Crack in Time is one of my favorite PS3 games.
6) Sly Cooper - My second favorite of the "Platformer Trio." Sly is a fun, cool character, and his games are ace.
7) Jak and Daxter - My third favorite of the "Platformer Trio." Jak is okay, but Daxter and the supporting cast, not to mention the quality platforming, and art design, make this series a lot of fun. I'm currently playing through them on the HD Collection and really enjoying it (I beat part 1 on the PS2, but never played 2. 3 I only played a bit of.
8) Heavenly Sword - Terribly underrated. Nariko is a boss, and the game play was a lot of fun. One of my favorite of the year one PS3 titles.
9) Ape Escape - I absolutely love this series. Spike is a great rep for a game that always has a different protagonist. Seeing him in this game brings back fond memories.
10) Fat Princess - I loved this game, and played it to death. A really fun party game, with a charming art style and satisfying gameplay. The titular Fat Princess is extremely lovable as well, despite her not being controllable in the game.
11) Killzone - I actually really liked Killzone 1, but loved KZ2, and thought KZ3 was pretty solid as well. Radec is a douchebag asshole, played excellently by Sean Pertwee, and Radec kind of seals is badassedness through the events of KZ2. Big fan of this series.

Those 10 franchises that are repped in the game rank among some of my favorite in all of gaming, not just on PlayStation. As for the rest?

12) Twisted Metal - Only played a little back in high school, but really enjoyed it. I've always liked Sweet Tooth, not because I know anything about him, but because I found the flaming clown head terrifying and iconic. I was glad to see him in the game.
13) MediEvil - Much like Twisted Metal, I wasn't terribly familiar with Sir Dan, but I liked how he looked. I played the first MediEvil recently, and it didn't do anything for me, but I can see how, back in the day, the game would have impressed in those relatively early days of 3D gaming.
14) PaRappa The Rapper - Never played them, but I loved how PaRappa looked. Like the two listed above, there's just something charming and endearing about the way PaRappa looks, and the little bit I've seen of the game oozes it as well. I'm glad he's here, and he's a quirky part of PlayStation history.
15) Toro - Again, no experience with this franchise at all, but I've seen Toro many times over the years. He also has an appealing, endearing art style, and judging by that cutscene with him, the other cat, and Heihachi, he has a fun attitude. His fighting style in PBR also looks really wicked, so I'm really interested in giving him a spin. Another quirky edition to the roster, that has a long history with PlayStation.
16) Tekken - I didn't play much Tekken back in the PS1 days. I played a bit of Tekken 2 and 3 in high school, and a bit of Tag Tournament on the PS2. I'm not that big into fighting games, but I had a good time. Heihachi is the most memorable of the roster for me, and has the longest history with PlayStation. He looks badass in this game, and it's interesting to see a pure fist and feet character in this game.
17) Bioshock - Bioshock was awesome. Big Daddy's were a main reason why Bioshock is awesome. Despite it debuting on PC and 360 (and being one of the reasons I even wanted a 360 to begin with), I was glad to see it grace the PlayStation. As for Big Daddy's inclusion in PBR, it makes me scratch my head, but he does look really fun, if you are more into playing as the Heavy, which I am, admittedly, not big into.
18) Devil May Cry - I'm not a huge DMC fan. I played the first and third, and think they're incredibly awesome, but also incredibly difficult. Dante is a fun, over the top anime character, and DMC1 single handedly proved that you could have fast, frenetic, 60fps action games on the PS2. It paved the way for God of War to do its thing on the PS2. As for the way Dante looks? *shrugs* It's what alternate costumes are for. End of for me. He's Dante no matter what skin he's wearing. He looks and moves like Dante.
19) Metal Gear Solid - I'd have preferred Solid Snake or Big Boss, but there's no denying that in MGS4, Raiden was a badass. He looks badass in PBR. He's not my favorite MGS character, but he's certainly not my least favorite, and he grew on me in MGS4, and he looks wicked in Revengeance.

I posted all of that to say that, as a PlayStation fan since 1995, this game's roster speaks to me, or, at the very least, has the large majority of my favorite franchises from PlayStation repped.

If you were to ask me what my favorite series on PlayStation were, Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy, Tomb Raider, Crash Bandicoot, Spyro the Dragon, etc, would be at the bottom of that list.

Titles like Dark Cloud, The Mark of Kri, Shadow of the Colossus, Ico, Okage, would top those lists, along with the first 11 franchises I listed above. To me, those franchises are PlayStation. As much as I love Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy, and Tomb Raider, I'd choose Ellen from Folklore, or Jeanne from Jeanne'dArc over Cloud or Sora any day.

That's just me, of course, and I understand why many of you are upset by this roster, but to call the roster bad is just as subjective as me calling the roster "good." The roster caters to me as a diehard PlayStation fan. I don't know what other easter eggs and franchise nods Superbot has included in the game since they couldn't include them all in the roster. I'm waiting to have the full game in my hands before I lament an absence of Ico or Shadow of the Colossus.

If characters like Drake, Sackboy, Kratos, Ratchet, Sly, Jak, etc don't appeal to you, then, I'm sorry. The game play speaks for itself, and I've played many a game that was fun, even when the main character didn't do it for me (see: inFAMOUS; the game play is fantastic, even if Cole is "generic" - although I think they improved him in inFAMOUS 2 to a degree. Zeke as well).

I personally couldn't let a character roster sour me on a game this fun. I think the roster very appealing to me. It will probably appeal to many other people that like the franchises represented in this game. Perhaps characters that do appeal to you will be added via DLC, but I can't see how that would suddenly make the core game play more fun.

If this was simply "Title Fight," with a roster full of original characters, I'd still be looking forward to it, because it's a fun game. The fact that it's starring some of my favorite PlayStation characters simply, for me, guarantees that I'll be there day one.

btw in paul gales defence he did say I believe on this board that he knew of character's over 20 but did not know exactly where they go to or something like that.

Drencrom

guiz guiz

what if THIS is the work of the NEW PR team of sony?! To make us put our guard down

and

BAM! Bunch of new reveals!

guiz?

lol

holy shit... that must be it!

CRASH, KAT, SNAKE, KAZUMA KIRYU, CLOUD, WANDER, MIKU, JENIFER TATE AND SPYRO CONFIRMED!!!

Boss Man

btw in paul gales defence he did say I believe on this board that he knew of character's over 20 but did not know exactly where they go to or something like that.
Paul Gaul posted pictures of himself to re-reveal the existence a Resistance 2 stage that everyone had already seen. I think that sums up everything (after the very initial reveal) that he has contributed.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Superbot do act like they have more to share though

Yeah they still need to show how Wipeout invades Twisted Metal-Black Rock Statium, how Metal Gear invade Killzone-Invasion, and how the Infamous 2 final boss invades Bioshock Infinite-Columbia.

Noi

Out of curiosity, I decided to go back to the Smash Bros. Dojo and check, by more or less the same distance to release as we are now for PS All Stars, what information we knew about Smash Bros. Brawl before it came out.

Brawl came out in Japan on Jan 31, 2008. By mid-December, roughly a month and a half from when the game came out, we knew:

- A huge majority of the cast and their special moves, without having revealed hidden Veterans like Marth and Ness or Newcomers like ROB and Wolf.
- Tons of posts on different techniques, move types, the now-dreaded tripping, and details on how the final smash/smash ball worked.
- Nearly all of the Assist Trophies, PokeBall monsters and Normal Items.
- The game's main story mode, Subspace Emissary, as well as having a few of the game's CG clips teasing some of the mode's cameo bosses like Rayquaza and Petey Pirahna. As well as Special Brawl, the Stage Builder, Stickers, Team battles, Tournament mode, Rotation mode, Training mode and Spectator mode for online play.
- 19 Stages, with one of them being a returning Melee stage tease.
- A nice amount of clips from different songs in the game, the My Music feature for music selection per stage, as well as all the composers who contributed to the soundtrack.

It's kind of embarrassing that most of what we know/knew about All-Stars didn't come from the devs themselves, but from leaks.

220px-US_Navy_020811-N-6817C-007_USS_Abraham_Lincoln_(CVN_72)_pipe-patching_techniques_during_a_%5Elsquo,Damage_Control_Fair%5Ersquo.jpg

Should've done this earlier Superbot lol.

V_Ben

Banned
Jesus, this thread sure got busy all of a sudden. Between the PR mess and the character stuff, they're going to really have to work between now and launch to get more people on side.

TheMink

Tellin it like it is ;)

Not to be an asshole and all but they deserved it, they have done a shit job most of this gen. Hopefully they get replaced soon.

To be fair, they had the rug pulled out from under them the second that the character roster was revealed through the beta files. A big part of the marketing of a fighting game is with character reveals. Especially when you're dealing with a new series like this.

J-Tier

Clockwork. Wish he'd at least lay something out instead of telling us the typical "insert generic PR quote here".

He did settle things down with the Jin and Kazuya deal, but he hasn't really said anything lately with the exception of beta distribution.

Takao

Banned
To be fair, they had the rug pulled out from under them the second that the character roster was revealed through the beta files. A big part of the marketing of a fighting game is with character reveals. Especially when you're dealing with a new series like this.

Characters were being leaked left and right before the beta leak. The beta leak was what solidified them though.

shink

Yeah that was an unfortunate mistake that probably mucked up all their plans. However they still have those minions to announce.

Noi

They can work with stuff like that though. Capcom had the exact same thing happen to them when the entirety of the new roster for UMvC3 was leaked via their website. Instead of pretending it didn't happen, they rolled with it and made the best out of the situation by hyping up the reveals as the chance to see how the characters would play like, among other things.

The PR for this game, in comparsion, has been truly terrible regardless of the leaks.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

Pretty much. Same thing happened to UMvC3 and that didn't work out so well for Capcom either.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Characters were being leaked left and right before the beta leak. The beta leak was what solidified them though.

Seriously do you guys not remember the website leak, the facebook poll leak, and the Youtube tag incident? PR has nobody to blame but themselves for that stuff.

So if this whole marketing debacle thing is for real, someone ought to make a thread. If the confirmation is legit of course.

I'm really interested in seeing everyone's reaction, I'm waiting anxiously with my corndog stick in my corndog butt.
I've PM'd the specifics to those who have asked, like yourself, but I would prefer that since it involved a lot of my friends, I'd rather that it spreads once the game is released.

Remember, I want All Stars to succeed. I love these types of games, don't forget that, haha.

Capcom PR is getting "praise", Sony/Superbot, you're doing something wrong.

Once you understand how Superbot threw Capcom under the bus with the way they handled Dante's reveal, the sympathy praise for Capcom is entirely justified.

Noi

very long post

As always, I'll agree to disagree with you. I'm in complete disagreement that the game caters to the "diehard playstation fan". The Playstation equivalents of Mario, Kirby, Link, Samus, Pikachu and Donkey Kong being in this game does nothing to impress me. Even more so when the tagline used to describe your game at it's reveal is "a celebration of PlayStation's history." I like Kratos, Parappa and co., but they're not the reason why I like crossover fighters.

I'd be less iffy about picking the game up at launch, but my current circumstances force me to be much more picky about what I buy than I normally am. As much as I absolutely love the gameplay (and you know I do), a roster of which I only want to play as one character does nothing for me. Once the DLC characters get announced (and if they're characters I want to play as) and the game is better priced to match whatever they're gonna charge for those characters, I'll be more than willing to jump in and get it.

Shahed

So I come back to this? Well I'll still get this game as I have it pre-ordered, but the roster is definitely disappointing. Could have used quite a few more 1st party characters. In fact I'd trade all 4 current 3rd party members for Wander, Kat, Rose and a Nissan Skyline. Or all of them in return for Cloud alone

Still I'm not sure where I am. In one way I want this game to do well so they can nail the sequel right. But at the same time I don't like how they've handled it at all. I really want them to push the fanservice as much as possible with the music, art and character interaction. Call me pessimistic, but from what I've seen they
haven't done that at all.

This might sound strange, but it's as if they don't know what type of game they're making. While apparently they've got the gameplay spot on, but you can't just treat this as a standard fighter. It's almost like they've spent too much attention on how the game plays and done little else. They've focused pretty much completely on the West and ignored Japan.

If this game does really well, they might get the impression they made the right decisions, and we might get more of the same for the sequel. If it does bad there won't be one. So I hope it's in the middle ground where there's enough scope for a sequel, but they realise that there's a lot more work to do

SykoTech

Eh, I would not praise the way Capcom handled the UMvC3 leak at all. All they did was slowly reveal characters we already knew were coming (no different than what SuperBot did), and then come up with BS reasons as to why characters people wanted were not in.

If I recall correctly, they said Mega Man wasn't in because he wasn't highly demanded like the other characters (Vergil, Phoenix, Strider, etc.). Which was a complete lie as Mega Man X outranked everyone in a character request poll. Not to mention nobody really asked for Firebrand, Nemesis, or half of the Marvel picks.

The only difference between Capcom and SuperBot is that Capcom had better reveal trailers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom