• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale Discussion Thread 2 (read OP first)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Takao

Banned
Superbot just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about crossover fighters (I'm an expert), but memorable characters are a huge part of it. It's not like this is SNK and all your characters basically look the same. By neglecting beloved Sony games, Superbot brings shame to themselves, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the gaming public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale for either system, nor will they purchase any of Superbot's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Superbot has alienated an entire market with this move.

Superbot, publicly apologize and remove terrible characters like neo Dante or you can kiss your business goodbye.

J-Tier

I don't know how much the rest of you know about crossover fighters (I'm an expert), but memorable characters are a huge part of it. It's not like this is SNK and all your characters basically look the same. By neglecting beloved Sony games, Superbot brings shame to themselves, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the gaming public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale for either system, nor will they purchase any of Superbot's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Superbot has alienated an entire market with this move.

Superbot, publicly apologize and remove terrible characters like neo Dante or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Really? Superbot shot THEMSELVES in the foot?

Ermmmm....welcome back....again...for now lol

Figboy79

Aftershock LA

As done to death as this is, I can't help but laugh at it each time I read it relating to some game or another. Lol.

Takao

Banned
Jokes aside, I'm honestly not feeling Sony & Friends' (except Capcom, they're not Sony's friend) Co-Marketing Brawl.

Gorillaz

pics and stuff

You have any idea how many things in brawl are banned due to character move set? It's crazy
There is a balancing problem tho, Weapons and moves for most characters have a ridiculous range, some supers last a little too long and I still don't get why Parappa gets to spawn orbs? yea yea i get it they "bounce everywhere so anyone can get it" but why have that move in there at all? he can build up his meter fast as hell WITHOUT it. There really is no need for it, I would rather have an attack instead.

Maybe it will be a different story at launch, well see hopefully your right.

J-Tier

You have any idea how many things in brawl are banned due to character move set? It's crazy
There is a balancing problem tho, Weapons and moves for most characters have a ridiculous range, some supers last a little too long and I still don't get why Parappa gets to spawn orbs? yea yea i get it they "bounce everywhere so anyone can get it" but why have that move in there at all? he can build up his meter fast as hell WITHOUT it. There really is no need for it, I would rather have an attack instead.

Well, I kinda like that Parappa can spawn orbs, it makes him unique. Whether or not you use it is irrelevant.

Parappa's Level 1 has a tiny hit box. His level 2 is easily avoidable if you can stay in the air, and his level 3 is only able to get him 3 kills for certain. Him being able to spawn orbs seems like a pretty balanced idea.

Now if someone like Sly were able to do it, then.....

Spinluck

See?

There's that comment again. Please make a hypothetical moveset. I'm really curious.

I don't see how Tidus' moveset, or Squall's moveset, or Lightning's moveset, or Cloud's moveset etc. would have any significant differences. If anything, out of them all, Lightning seems like the one who would have the worst moveset since she's limited to one summon.

Tidus has no summons, but out of the 4, he can incoporate Bliztball too. This gives him one key difference in the general playstyle.

Whereas the others are just sword wielders, and outside of special limit breaks etc., they'll be very similar since they can use summons, items, magic etc. I mean, a vagina is not a move.

Lightning is more agile, acrobatic, and elusive, more stylish, has a gun in her blade, can throw all types of magik out and so on. She has a pretty awesome summon, and isn't just some dude holding a giant sword that's from FF. How many main characters from FF are similar to Lightning? Now how many popular FF characters are similar to Cloud? Squall, and Tidus all with their nice sturdy swords and spiked out hair are all comparable.

Although this won't happen, it would be rather interesting if they incorporated her Commando, Ravager, Sentinel, Saboteur, Synergist, and Medic stances/roles into her combat. Like she glows yellow(like a Sentinel in FFXIII) when she blocks or dodges, or little nice touches similar to that. She'd probably work best on a team, 2v2 perhaps, and like I said, would diversify the roster. Whether it's solely because of her appearance, or her moveset. I have nothing against Cloud, I just see Lightning as a more interesting character to add to the game, the only thing she lacks compared Cloud is that super strong FFVII fanboy following, or iconic status... I guess.. this coming from someone who enjoyed FFVII far more than FFXIII. But I did enjoy FFXIII.

Spinluck

Exactly, and Snake is far more iconic to Playstation than Cloud could ever dream of, and we might not even be getting him..

Snake would shine in this game, more so than Smash imo, since Sakurai avoided using actual guns.. because I don't think it really fit Smash. His combat knife, and tranq would be awesome in this game.

Although it seems as if he'd be a cross between Drake, Sly, and Sweet Tooth.

SmithnCo

Exactly, and Snake is far more iconic to Playstation than Cloud could ever dream of, and we might not even be getting him..

Snake would shine in this game, more so than Smash imo, since Sakurai avoided using actual guns.. because I don't think it really fit Smash. His combat knife, and tranq would be awesome in this game.

Although it seems as if he'd be a cross between Drake, Sly, and Sweet Tooth.

A tranq that puts people in a dizzy state would be really cool for 2v2. It'd probably have to have a fairly long animation so it isn't overpowered, but it's just one cool moe they could give to Snake. He could potentially be a pretty crazy character. Hope he's in (With Otacon in the Mk. II as his minion, obviously).

Gorillaz

Well, I kinda like that Parappa can spawn orbs, it makes him unique. Whether or not you use it is irrelevant.

it's not about it being unique it's about balance.
Parappa's Level 1 has a tiny hit box. His level 2 is easily avoidable if you can stay in the air, and his level 3 is only able to get him 3 kills for certain. Him being able to spawn orbs seems like a pretty balanced idea.

Now if someone like Sly were able to do it, then.....

Parappa lvl 1 is good because it can still do work but has a setback of only working within a certain range

Parappa lvl 2 is good because of the give and take of it's power, it is difficult to control but kills all people it touches

Parappa lvl 3 while it always destroys everyone (can't even be dodge) it has a set back of waiting to build up to it

Each one has a setback and a positive which it should, like in most fighters. The orb collecting for Parappa is like in CoD getting a free killstreak when ever you want without doing anything. It's a broken idea.

Spinluck

A tranq that puts people in a dizzy state would be really cool for 2v2. It'd probably have to have a fairly long animation so it isn't overpowered, but it's just one cool moe they could give to Snake. He could potentially be a pretty crazy character. Hope he's in (With Otacon in the Mk. II as his minion, obviously).

Yes of course, we wouldn't want a tranq that has like no start animation, isn't punishable, and is easily spammable lol.

Maybe something similar to Radec's sniper, but slower.

I'm pretty sure the first thing superbot did was find out who was going to be in the game. I have a feeling they wouldn't waste years of developing a game like this if they knew Crash, Snake, Cloud and Spyro wasn't getting in.

They would look foolish to proclaim the game as fan service and not include any iconic legendary ps characters.

I'm pretty sure the first thing superbot did was find out who was going to be in the game. I have a feeling they wouldn't waste years of developing a game like this if they knew Crash, Snake, Cloud and Spyro wasn't getting in.

They would look foolish to proclaim the game as fan service and not include any iconic legendary ps characters.

Except they have next to no control over those characters.

I'm aware of that yet I'm saying wouldn't they report back to Sony and let them know certain companies were being douchebags and the game may be a colossal failure without said characters?

if and I say if they knew first hand the roster they could have used sound judgement. It would've been no harm if they simply scrapped the game without ever announcing it due to roster issues.

Gorillaz

This. While I would like Crash, Sypro, Cloud etc, it's not up to them..it's all in the hand of 3rd party devs, hopefully they allow SB to use them tho

At the same time he's right....they knew first hand what character could and would be in the game It would be risky to make the game knowing you can't pull those characters.

Slightly off topic but what the hell is up with sly? This guy can be invisible AND attack at the same time? I just played a match and one guy stayed invisible most of the time.

SmithnCo

Slightly off topic but what the hell is up with sly? This guy can be invisible AND attack at the same time? I just played a match and one guy stayed invisible most of the time.

I think most attacks will break the invisibility while they are going on, but the neutral square (and maybe some others) won't. Luckily I think his supers were the most overpowered thing and they got a good nerf.

J-Tier

Yeah, that's why he was dubbed "Scumbag". Though he did get a nerf, and in the finalized version, he might be even less exploitable.

EDIT:

These are fairly old (pre-gamescom), but here's how a member of the FGC (ChrisG...and his buddy Hak) sees the game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_hvs059JRs&feature=player_embedded
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qJT4wTZv-8&feature=player_embedded

Mr. Fix

I think the hush puppy should cause a crumple stun here. Cole and several others have crumple moves too. Either that with limited range, or the mosin-nagant which would take longer.

libregkd

Speaking of the beta, one of the more funnier things just happened to me. Was a Kratos and 3 SweetTooths(SweetTeeth?). I was using a SweetTooth and used my Lvl.1 Super on Kratos, followed by another SweetTooth using his Lvl.1 on me after mine landed followed by the THIRD SweetTooth using his Lvl.1 on the second SweetTooth after his landed on me. All in rapid succesion.

Its moments like these that make me love the game lol. There are bound to be plenty of similar situations when using the full roster.

Lol I love this small community player alert.

Anyway I just read some stuff someone posted about Omar Kendall.
I didn't know he worked with Activision for several years on a few games.

http://www.giantbomb.com/omar-kendall/72-63539/

I surely don't see them(activision) giving him a fellow coworker the cto old shoulder.

Omar: hey activision, you think we can borrow Crash for an upcoming game? This title is pure fan service and Crash is iconic to the Playstation brand and we're trying to keep that intact.

Activision: whooah!!

Mik_Pad

Banned
Speaking of the beta, one of the more funnier things just happened to me. Was a Kratos and 3 SweetTooths(SweetTeeth?). I was using a SweetTooth and used my Lvl.1 Super on Kratos, followed by another SweetTooth using his Lvl.1 on me after mine landed followed by the THIRD SweetTooth using his Lvl.1 on the second SweetTooth after his landed on me. All in rapid succesion.

Its moments like these that make me love the game lol. There are bound to be plenty of similar situations when using the full roster.

I think we just played together I was The Black and Red Sweet Tooth I Lold when that happened was great!!

Gorillaz

I surely don't see them(activision) giving him a fellow coworker the cto old shoulder.

Omar: hey activision, you think we can borrow Crash for an upcoming game? This title is pure fan service and Crash is iconic to the Playstation brand and we're trying to keep that intact.

crash basically confirmed?
spyro basicaly confirmed?

CoD level, 60 FPS along with killstreaks in a level confirmed?

:p

Mik_Pad

Banned
When I was playing the beta a message pop out telling me that it will expire in 30 min just like the game trials has this happened to anyone??

Takao

Banned

You don't know Activision. They give current employees the cold shoulder, lol.

libregkd

When I was playing the beta a message pop out telling me that it will expire in 30 min just like the game trials has this happened to anyone??

Got one and said 15 minutes left. Though looking on the XMB, it says the Beta doesn't expire until 10/7/2012.

Shahed

Been a good day today.

Ramadan is over so no more fasting. The Toon won their first game of the season, and I finally got my Vita! I don't need to put an act on for my Kat love now.

Now go and announce Cloud for this game, and this day will go down in memory :p

Jokes aside, I'm honestly not feeling Sony & Friends' (except Capcom, they're not Sony's friend) Co-Marketing Brawl.

We've debated, argued and reasoned about how much sense it makes to have Cloud, Spyro, and Crash in the game, but as others have pointed out recently... the fact that Raiden and Dino are in the game over Snake/Big Boss and Dante proves Superbot's obvious lack of support towards third party characters.

They really are at the whim of third parties, meaning we're only going to get trash that will promote upcoming games they're putting out, the ones that further their agenda, not characters that symbolize and represent Playstation.

It saddens me that Sony isn't fully backing this game like that giant piece of vaporware, The Last Guardian. All-Stars is actually being finalized and is definitely coming out this year, yet they weren't able to negotiate characters that practically EVERYONE is demanding for in the game. Case in point - when the official site went up, what was the first comment that is still on the front page, to this day? "CRASH BETTER BE IN THIS GAME!!!"

Sony didn't see fit to throw money at Activision, Square Enix, etc. Instead of saying "Hey, we're gonna make sure this game fully represents Playstation's history and future, by securing the characters everyone wants", they said "Sorry Superbot, you're on your own to negotiate with the third parties" which means the only people who will negotiate a character for this game are the people who have an agenda to fill.

This is what I've seen from an outside perspective - I definitely don't know what's going on internally between Superbot, Sony, and the corresponding third parties. We could still have some surprises with the final reveals but I'm not getting my hopes up anymore after that leak and the confirmation of the leak after Gamescom's reveals.

Bottom line is - all the third party characters that make the most sense will probably never make it into the game. As a huge fan of the game (from playing the beta) and what this game could mean for the Playstation community, it saddens me that we can't get the icons that we grew up playing as on Playstation, all because of negligence and money.

Takao

Banned
I don't think any supporter of this game is in a position to criticize The Last Guardian given this thing's near four year development cycle. That's way too long for a fighting game like this.

KalBalboa

Banned
I don't think any supporter of this game is in a position to criticize The Last Guardian given this thing's near four year development cycle. That's way too long for a fighting game like this.

Eh, luckily it was only announced a few months back and it, fortunately, plays pretty damn well, even in the beta state.

It saddens me that we can't get the icons that we grew up playing as on Playstation, all because of negligence and money.

Well, I know I got my personal #1 (Sweet Tooth) and I've been pretty jazzed to see Sir Dan, PaPappa, and pretty much everyone I can imagine since the PS2 days. The PSone era is the only one really missing anyone, as far as I'm concerned, with Crash, Cloud, and Spyro being absent.

We should keep in mind that we still don't actually know the full roster yet. This game has a lot of bases to cover and I definitely agree it'd be a better product with Crash and those guys on board, but I say wait and see who is announced last and then give the final game a shot before getting too bogged down.

Four years? Surely not?

Has this game got some ridiculous depth of content we aren't aware of?

KalBalboa

Banned
Four years? Surely not?

Has this game got some ridiculous depth of content we aren't aware of?

I'm willing to bet this exact game has been a part of conversations at Sony ever since Smash Brothers on Gamecube made a major stir, so it's no surprise that PlayStation was looking into ways to get this idea out there for a while.

The mash-up stages, wide array of characters, combos, online play, cross-platform play, three-supers-per-character, and a bunch of other factors probably added up to a significant, slow-burn development.

The key difference is that Team Ico has been working on it for what, six years? Superbot was built from scratch and they built the game (and engine IIRC?) from scratch.

I know three to four years is a bit long for a fighting game but when it's the first in a new franchise, I can understand it taking a bit longer because they were nailing down all the core gameplay mechanics first. As others have pointed out, they didn't reveal it until this year which I agree, is one of the best things they've done with it's publicity.

Plus, who knows how long they were in the concept/early stages before they finally moved to full development? In comparison, TLG was revealed aeons ago and has been going through development hell - overall it's been pretty embarrassing if you're a fan of Team Ico and or you just want the damn game to be finished.

In roughly the same amount of time it's been taking them to make TLG, Naughty Dog has made three Uncharted games and even started a brand new IP that is already looking to be ready by next year.

Also, to go a step further, Superbot started as an internal studio within SSM so theoretically, SSM did GoW III and now GoW Ascension alongside all their smaller projects like The Unfinished Swan and now All-Stars, all before TLG even seems ready for launch. This is why Sony sent Allan Becker to go whip their asses into shape.

I'm just saying it's insanely stupid that they're still basically burning their money while trying to get TLG finished, while All-Stars has to fend for itself with third party deals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom