• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Home Shuts Down in 7 Days (March 31, 2015)

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
PlayStation_Home_Logo.png

Yes, PS3's greatest application is closing its virtual doors next week. You have one week to endure the long load times (and overall glitchiness), dudes creeping on virtual girls, and general nothingness. It has trophies now.

You can visit Lonely Knack

Go for a bowl with a bunch of personalities

Dance by yourself

Celebrate Christmas in March

Pandas

Don't let this opportunity pass you by. Download here: https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/apps/playstationhome/cid=EP9000-NPIA00005_00-HOME000000000001

WillyFive

When it was first revealed at GDC 2007 alongside LBP, it made me want to buy a PS3. Only used it twice. It was so slow and clunky it was completely useless for anything whatsoever.

Puflwiz

Banned
I've never once even done anything but boot it up, wait for it to load, get bored while it loading and play something else. I'm not even sure I know what PS Home was/is.

Trojan X

Banned
Such a pity. So much potential... so poorly executed.. I used it a few times but it's sad that nothing will come further now since they don't know how to profit from it.

One-Shot

Banned
Yeah basically did this: boot up, saw you have to buy everything for your apartment, left.

Oh and did check out the hubs...then left for good.

FluxWaveZ

Giant Bomb has said they will be streaming it, for any interested. Their stream for when Star Wars Galaxies and The Matrix Online shut down were great.

PikkonX

I remember being so excited when I was invited to the beta for Home. Once it launched, I didn't play around in it too much, but it was always great on the day of the E3 press conferences. I'll never forget how angry everyone was when it was announced that FFXIII was coming to Xbox 360.

_woLf

I'll always remember this as the Second Life of PS3. Tons of potential to be something really cool, but swamped by toxic players, INSANELY slow load times, frustrating lag, bad performance and microtransactions/ads everywhere.

AuyxDKE.jpg

[salute]

Good night sweet prince. I tried it a couple of times and I found it incredibly boring. This was in the beginning where there weren't any games for it. Then when the Siren (was it Siren?) mini-game came out I wanted to try it but the LINES. THE FUCKING WAITING LINES FOR A VIRTUAL GAME.

I might even try Home 2 (if such a thing were to exist) as long as they fixed everything wrong with it. And there was a lot.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
Gotta say I had fun with this in the beginning when games would reward you with little trinkets and stuff to decorate your house. That didn't last very long though so I stopped messing with it.

Had a blast with this in pre-beta playing bowling...playing chess. Glitching out in your apartment to see the plaque youre not supposed to be able to see. Watching E3 on home because my pc was crapping the bed. Good time on it for sure, forget the haters.

omg that DDR game.

Reule

Damn. I was there in the early days and always hoped for it to be the next big thing. It was still pretty successful and I had my fun when I was on it. I did spend a bit too much money on virtual chairs and clothes than I wanted to but there was plenty of free stuff. Hopefully Sony tries create something new with a similar idea but different execution.

I remember reading last year about it's closure being in the future. I planned to get on to get the trophies but I think I'll just pass now.

Gotta say I had fun with this in the beginning when games would reward you with little trinkets and stuff to decorate your house. That didn't last very long though so I stopped messing with it.

They never stopped handing out rewards with games. In fact it only increased as time went on. Not sure what you're talking about.

Sad to see it go. Didn't play it much, but enjoyed it when I played. Sucks that they have to shut it down. I figured it would still be making money via the thngs they sell. Oh well. Hopefully we can get a speedier version sometime down the road, but I don't think they'll bother again.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
They never stopped handing out rewards with games. In fact it only increased as time went on. Not sure what you're talking about.

Huh? I haven't received a Home item reward since like Street Fighter 4 or Resident Evil 5. I'm not talking about the mini games in Home but rather PS3 games that would give you rewards.

magnumpy

I remember back a few years ago when there was a lot of hype surrounding Second Life. now it's all kind of run it's course. the "game" is still up though, fwiw.

Huh? I haven't received a Home item reward since like Street Fighter 4 or Resident Evil 5. I'm not talking about the mini games in Home but rather PS3 games that would give you rewards.

Red Dead Redemption, Lords of Shadow, Tekken 6, Disgaea, Tomb Raider, White Knight Chronicles, Sonic Adventure, Arkham Asylum, and many others did the same thing.

Raonak

Banned
Man, end of an era.

The horrendous load times really killed any interest i had in it. :/
lines for a virtual game was the worst idea ever.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Man this thing sounded so awesome on paper. Go in the Warhawk clubhouse, plan out strategies using the little military maps they had, then jump into the game and destroy everyone.

It was just clunky as hell.

Eggbok

Had a blast with this in pre-beta playing bowling...playing chess. Glitching out in your apartment to see the plaque youre not supposed to be able to see. Watching E3 on home because my pc was crapping the bed. Good time on it for sure, forget the haters.

omg that DDR game.

I played DDR on Home a couple days ago actually, it was pretty fun lol.
I'm really going to miss Home, it's a lot of fun with other people. (imo)

ZkflQEb.jpg

Man this thing sounded so awesome on paper. Go in the Warhawk clubhouse, plan out strategies using the little military maps they had, then jump into the game and destroy everyone.

It was just clunky as hell.
I remember that and the Socom Confrontation tac maps too.

Top Bottom