• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Home Shuts Down in 7 Days (March 31, 2015)

Dart

image.php

Edit: I was in the OG closed beta, stopped using it shortly after. Still, I visited every now and then for game related stuff. Always seemed like a lot of people actually enjoying it too.

It's a little sad when this happens to any game/app.

LBP HUB to replace

Komo

Banned
God damn. I would have loved to have been around for the final hour or so. I told myself I would be, but when I checked earlier, Home had somehow 'disappeared' from my PS3's hard drive <.<

Not gonna lie. I actually had a blast with Home as a kid back when it launched.

Then I discovered Second Life

I spent a long ass while in Home. Whether it was browsing stores for the random free item or chasing around bullshit in locations to get a new shirt, I did spend way too much time in it.

Everyone usually was well behaved. It was mellow as fuck.

I'm going to miss the white noise soundtrack of the Hub.

Hell, even the closed alpha was fun. Even if it was just 3 long tubes connected together.

Nozem

Oh man, I remember the announcement.

"Meet up with your friends, plan your Warhawk strategies around this cool virtual map and lauch directly into the game!"

Tainted

Meh

I was more sad when SWG and TMO were shut down. The Giant Bomb stream just reminded me how bad this thing actually was

Komo

Banned
Bye bye Home.
Now please come to the PS4. Thanks.

Home closed the day before April 1st. Coincidence? I think not.

They must be planning to announce the closure as a joke today, which in turn will re-announce it as a PS4 exclusive. It's genius.

Pachimari

Oh shit, I forgot to take a picture of my apartment and club.

This is one of the saddest days in gaming, and I'm pretty sure Home will end up in my overall Top 10.

RIP 2008 - 2015. :(

Besides Second Life, there's also Avakin Life on mobile devices.

These were taken moments before the server went offline.

EXjlMjX.jpg

O3W359G.jpg

I tried going into PSHome again, and it prompts me to download an update patch. April Fools?

Forgot all about this :(

Was in the original BETA and shared my account with a few guys on Neowin at the time (before I knew of GAF)

Got quite a few free bits and pieces, hopefully they might re-release on the PS4, but I feel it's false hope.

Forkball

They basically tried to duplicate Second Life and the Miis, but by the time it came out, Second Life fell out of the mainstream and you were left with this weird imitator and characters that didn't have the Miis' charm. Sony had some strange "Me too" ideas in the PS3 days, but this was perhaps the strangest.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Yeah, what the hell happened to that one.

Turned into LittleBigPlanet 3 didn't it? It always seemed mistimed. A PS3 social app when the PS4 was launching.

(Yes, I know LBP3 is on PS3 as well. Though seems well hidden as I haven't seen ANY copies for that anywhere)

Is the Japanese Home also closed?

Should be. And it should've ended like two months ago, but apparently didn't.

Pachimari

PlayStation Home were probably the best thing that came out of last generation. It weren't executed well, but it was alright, as the concept were so interesting and cool.

Had a lot of fun, and even on the last day, I met 4 new people I can now play games together with or meet up with in another social application.

Sony have to bring Home back for PlayStation 4, and keep the realistic avatars, they are fine as is. Just improve the loading times, maybe make the spaces larger, and that's it.

Really wish Sony would commit to things, Move, Home, 3D, Playstation TV, Now, Eyetoy, Camera, Mobile, Vita. Pretty much everything that's not the core playstation brand get's treated half assed and dies.

I don't agree with the inclusion of PS Now, but yeah, I agree on the whole. It's why, despite thinking there's so much potential in the concept, I'm a little cautious of Morpheus. Sony historically has a terrible habit of launching something and just assuming it will be successful because the PS1 and PS2 were runaway successes.

YoungHav

Banned
Fuck I had told myself to sign in one more time a few months ago and forgot. Had to catch a flight this morning.

RIP, the gift that kept on making Sony $$$ and kept me laughing anytime I remembered it existed.

Hahahahah, someone played Home when they were a kid? I feel old as shit. It has been around for nearly a decade lol.

oni_saru

PlayStation Home were probably the best thing that came out of last generation. It weren't executed well, but it was alright, as the concept were so interesting and cool.

Had a lot of fun, and even on the last day, I met 4 new people I can now play games together with or meet up with in another social application.

Sony have to bring Home back for PlayStation 4, and keep the realistic avatars, they are fine as is. Just improve the loading times, maybe make the spaces larger, and that's it.
Agreed. I met a lot of cool people on Home. And have a lot of crazy/fun memories from my time using it.

Wish they would bring it to PS4. RIP Home. You were great *salutes*

Pachimari

Homepheus for PS4

I really don't want Morpheus to be part of it. Would it even be cool? Turning the third person camera with your head?
If it would be an option, then that's fine.

I don't agree with the inclusion of PS Now, but yeah, I agree on the whole. It's why, despite thinking there's so much potential in the concept, I'm a little cautious of Morpheus. Sony historically has a terrible habit of launching something and just assuming it will be successful because the PS1 and PS2 were runaway successes.
Man, I bought the HMZ-T1 helmet for $1000 but there's almost no 3D games coming out, so I have sold it again. It sucks.

hesido

I really don't want Morpheus to be part of it. Would it even be cool? Turning the third person camera with your head?
If it would be an option, then that's fine.

Actually third person camera perspective should be very compelling experience in VR, but I thought about going all intimate in a perst firson view. (first person view)

Pachimari

Actually third person camera perspective should be very compelling experience in VR, but I thought about going all intimate in a perst firson view. (first person view)

Hopefully that would be an option, so you can change between third and first person views. I would be on board with that.

Eggbok

Well for sure PS4 is getting Project Nebula and Atom Universe which are both basically spiritual successors to PlayStation Home. And fun fact is that Atom Universe will have Morpheus support, so I'm really curious to see how it works out for them.

Volcane

Goodbye Home.

I had some fun with it. I especially liked the Xi ARG, which was pretty well done.

Some of the games were quite fun, like the Red Bull Air Race. But they did become repetitive after a short time.

I also liked the customization of your apartments and avatar.

The main thing that spoiled it though, was the load times. It made it so you didn't have the inclination load it up, just to play a simple game. The Xi ARG gave it some motivation to jump in, but things like that seemed few, and far between.

Also it was full of guy avatars hitting on girl avatars, even though a lot the the girl avatars were guys.

Pachimari

Well for sure PS4 is getting Project Nebula and Atom Universe which are both basically spiritual successors to PlayStation Home. And fun fact is that Atom Universe will have Morpheus support, so I'm really curious to see how it works out for them.
Oh there's already a demo out on PC, so I'm gonna try out Atom Universe today. Though I don't like the neon concept.

What alternatives?
He mentions that just 2 posts above yours.

I'm suprised by the number of fans Home aparently had on GAF. Now I kinda wish I would've logged in at some point just to form an opinion, because my understanding was that it was universally disregarded as a shitty chat room with avatars and horrible mini games.

Piccoro

The JP Home had some incredible stuff that never made into the west.

Like the Irem (now Granzella) R-Type hub with a shooter minigame:

118376.jpg

118374.jpg

Or the Hatsune Miku live concert on the plaza:

hatsune3.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Pachimari

I'm suprised by the number of fans Home aparently had on GAF. Now I kinda wish I would've logged in at some point just to form an opinion, because my understanding was that it was universally disregarded as a shitty chat room with avatars and horrible mini games.

Again, it's the guys who don't like it, who are the loudest.

Which is also annoying.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Edit: I was in the OG closed beta, stopped using it shortly after. Still, I visited every now and then for game related stuff. Always seemed like a lot of people actually enjoying it too.

It's a little sad when this happens to any game/app.

LBP HUB to replace

I was there from the beta too, and I also visited it every now and again. It was a great idea that was not perfectly executed. Helped me make some friends in the early days of PSN too. Had it been smoother in performance it would have attracted a lot more people.

I also hope the spoilered text comes true. We need something that is similar.

It was probably quite fun if you were prepared to push through the technical limitations and you're a fan of these social world experiences. My personal opinion was that it was an awkward technically deficient waste of time and every time I logged in I felt like my time would be so much better spent actually playing a game instead of walking around, waiting for loading or downloading screens or trying to find something interesting to do. But then I'm not a fan of social media in general.

KyleCross

I'll just say I enjoyed Home as a concept, I even spent money building a cool avatar. But I can't say my experience was good because the cool avatar I built was a punk-rock girl and I constantly got creeped on to the point where I couldn't stand playing it. It pisses me off most because I know actual women have to go through this shit in games everyday with no escape, whereas all I had to do is type "Uh, I'm a guy." which 9 times out of 10 would have the creeper getting really pissed at me and calling me certain offensive terms and then running off.

Top Bottom