• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Home Shuts Down in 7 Days (March 31, 2015)

Yasumi

Banned
I should go creep people as Home Haruka one last time. Oh the memories.
6dd.jpg

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
I met some cool ass people on Home in 2009/2010....After they changed it....It was never the same.

Apollo

Banned
was a lot of ppl playing when I was using it back in the day even when GAF members try to say it was empty. It was always packed with ppl. Was actually fun and met a lot of ppl.

I loved home! Spent about 10 hours a week in there. Until they tried to change it up and ruined the spirit of it.

I made good friends and a few enemies.
I know that a lot of the spaces were just fancy marketing tools but playing the ganes and unlocking the rewards was just great.

I want a new home with an mmo style cohesive world with all the space stuff they promised back in the day.

I met some cool ass people on Home in 2009/2010....After they changed it....It was never the same.

What was this big change that "ruined" it?

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Remember when Sony Japan tried to make their own social avatar equivalent dubbed Room for the PSP? I wonder what became of that.

When it was first revealed at GDC 2007 alongside LBP, it made me want to buy a PS3. Only used it twice. It was so slow and clunky it was completely useless for anything whatsoever.

it was fun doing the MC hammer dance in front of people or doing the running man.....like seriously...I dont know why it was funny. well i guess it was funny cause of the way people would react.

like people really had a issue with a virtual character doing the running man in front of their virtual character

DOWN

Banned
Sony needs to make a Playstation home 2 because I've checked the back room of the Star Wars cantina hub for 5 years and it said Coming Soon

So what happens to all the people who spent real money on all the virtual items for their avatar? seemed like quite a few people spent alot cause the few times i went on with my vanilla nothing guy....i saw people decked out in shit.

Let us look back at the joy that it brought us...

*cricket noises*

I actually won a free digital copy of Warhawk in February of 2009 by dressing in all black and pretending to be a ninja for some weird event. Thats all I used Home for, and having done that a month after getting my PS3 I'd say it brought me joy. Warhawk was awesome.

vocab

Ill miss the Siren/Splunker spaces. Those were cool. I guess the problem with home in general is that the content was easily consumable in less than 10 mins.

*cricket noises*

Spent 1 year on HOME , Xi was a fun activity and there was nice moments overall . The fun of looking for a free spot in order to play poker..
The incredible theater load times.

Overall it was fun experience.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
This Christmas event not being taken down is kinda sad. That's the last one (new one, in fact) that the Home team did before all updates to the service ended in Janurary.

Peakpointmatrix said:
What was this big change that "ruined" it?

Probably the XMB menu-like change for navigation. Or the auto-boot into a Central Plaza that isn't Central Plaza but a ton of slow-loading shop fronts mall "central plaza."

Remember when Sony Japan tried to make their own social avatar equivalent dubbed Room for the PSP? I wonder what became of that.

Quickly died before it even got out of the "alpha test" phase. Mostly because barely anyone was putting their PSP online and mostly because it was pretty redundant (why have a Home "clone" that doesn't do everything Home did).

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Didn't Sony waste many a minutes droning on about PSH during their big E3 presentations in the past? x.x Never used it myself but did notice its absence from my PS3s menu as of late! A chatroom or forum or whatevers only as good as the people using it an going by impressions this one had lotsa bad apples? Didn't miss out on much then but still another nail in the coffin of last gen.

R.I.P.
Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection
PSP PS Store access
Club Nintendo
PS Home

Kebiinu

Banned
Whaaat?! I loved Home! I owned my PS3 for a while before jumping into the app. My first experience was pretty drab, but I returned a year or two later and thought it was amazing.

I loved searching for glitches. There was actually this big glitch in the City Space that a few people liked to abuse. You would go to this metal barricade off to the left side of the music stage, once there, performing the running man a certain way alongside the fence will enable you to cross over to the other side.

What I loved about it, was that after some trial and error you would be able to make it to this space on the side of this building you would need to pass through first.

This space was basically a long narrow walkway that went along the east side of the City Space. It sat right atop the river and the skyline from an adjacent city was blatantly visible from this area as well.

Some dude and I had discovered this area after learning what part of the ground beyond the metal barricade remained solid and which parts had dropped you into an endless free fall. Once we reached this "hidden" area, we sat down and just spoke about so much shit while overlooking the river/skyline. I really felt like the two of us shared a moment, especially since we started as strangers first.

He later introduced me to his female avatar friend who had invited us over to her mansion where she also kept a pet tiger...

I'm going to miss PSHome. I stopped playing after I got some new games and I guess the interest died out. It didn't feel the same once I tried getting back into it for some reason, but I was honestly addicted for a short period of time when I did play; a few of the mini games were amazing as well, like the Bomberman one, or that space shooter...

Man, I'm getting nostalgic. There were people who were genuinely trying to connect with others through this, my being one of them.

I hope there's something that resembles this on the PS4. It always felt as if it was being held back by the hardware, especially once they continued expanding the PSHome world.

It's unfortunate that many of you couldn't share the same experiences! :(

Odd that they are shutting this down.

It was easy money for them and there always seemed to be people in.

so much for LBP hub too eh?

bjork

I remember downloading Home on my dad's PS3 the first day you could get it, and kinda running around and messing with furniture. I was surprised that it didn't end up being an optional variation of the system interface when PS4 came out. There are probably people who wouldn't mind walking their character to the video section or to the PS store or whatever, at least once in awhile.

Home was interesting as an idea, if nothing else.

corn_fest

When it was first revealed at GDC 2007 alongside LBP, it made me want to buy a PS3. Only used it twice. It was so slow and clunky it was completely useless for anything whatsoever.

Same story here. That LBP + Home presentation was the first time I really felt games were starting to diverge technologically from the previous generation.
I used to lurk the PS Home forums every day hoping to get an invite or some news, and then when it finally released... it sucked.

To this day, I think that if they had been able to mitigate the loading times somehow, it would have been something really special.

The technical issues is really my biggest gripe with it. No one wants to wait for it to constantly load for every little action you do. I went back to complete the remaining trophies and the constant loading and buffering was getting on my nerves.

ViciousDS

Banned

*cricket noises*

eh.....a lot of MVP's I know lived in that game, lot of great memories that they enjoyed. It was a really cool concept just terribly executed and supported. The movie theaters with E3 events was cool.

whoszed

Definitely, DEFINITELY, check out the sick David Guetta club. I also highly recommend the Harry Potter train thing, there was quite a party there as well. Managed to separate at least one pair of virtual lovebirds in the making with my hijinks.

I got like 4 or 5 trophies just for signing in and creating a character (thought I had created a character once, wonder where he had disappeared?). Even the character creation was completely broken.

Pachimari

I'm gonna play the heck out of it tomorrow. Can we have a countdown until its closedown?

Such a major disappointment they haven't brought it to PS4, and most on GAF were sure it would turn up. Instead Sony is nuking it out of existence.

Hollow

Believe it or not I had some good times in Home. I used it quite a lot when I first got my PS3 since I only had about 2 games.

I'm kinda sad to see it go.

RIP in peace.

Touch

So much potential they did nothing with...

We tried really hard during closed beta but I guess it was just a lost cause.

rip

quesalupa

Fuck it just hit me that its actually happening. Good night sweet prince.
Me and my friend had so much fun trolling on Home. This hurts so bad.

ZAMtendo

Obliterating everything that's not your friend
All they need to do is remake it for the new gen. If done properly it could be awesome.

What are the chances they can use the resources this shit was hogging to make some extra (virtual if necessary) RAM to make the store on PS3 not run like absolute shit?

Rembrandt

Banned

Exact same. I loved the idea of it, but the execution was eh. Gotta admit that watching Silent Hill in the theater was cool, but Crackle sucks, but it was still cool.

ShogunX

Nice idea that could and should of been so much more.

Instead I went around dressed as a scary weasel putting bubble machines around everywhere and dancing next to people chatting. Such a waste of my time and everybody else's who told me to ''fuck off''.

Top Bottom