• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Meeting trailer: See the Future. Feb. 20th [Will Be Livestreamed]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spazznid

inFICaxe9j3ZE.png

Lol, how's that?

mclem

Something that just struck me - and I apologise, because I suspect that this'll already have been covered somewhere, but it's a hard thing to search for - Do we actually think the system would be called Playstation 4, given the connotations that number has in Japan?

Mind you, if it's a success, it'd be a delightfully ironic counterpart to Vita!

As long as the Playstation name retains and doesn't sound stupid it matters less to me. I would prefer to have it be called the Playstation 4 to keep the tradition. We got to reach Playstation 9!

Spazznid

Something that just struck me - and I apologise, because I suspect that this'll already have been covered somewhere, but it's a hard thing to search for - Do we actually think the system would be called Playstation 4, given the connotations that number has in Japan?

I'd love it if it was called Playstation. Just Playstation. People would still call it PS4 for short, but officially it'd be Playstation. Sadly I am only wishing. Probably will be either Playstation or ElGrandeGraffique Quad.

Yes, if they would call it PS FOUR I don't think there'd be any problem.

Yakuza games are probably the most japanese culture themed games in Japan and they have no problem calling it Yakuza 4.

DBT85

Yes, I think most people believe that it will be PS4.

The "connotations in Japan" thing is massively overblown and has been covered in so many threads over the last 2 months I've lost count.

PlayStation has always been advertised in Japan with a Japanese pronunciation of the English number. So Two and Three, not Ni or San. So on that basis, Four isn't going to be a problem anyway.

To the best of my knowledge four/shi doesn't have unlucky connotations like 13 does in the West. It is simply that when spoken in Japanese shi sounds like the word for death. It's not unlucky, it doesn't mean anything, it just sounds like another word.

Plenty of games come out in Japan with 4 in the title and nobody brings this up, for some reason everyone latched on to it for the PS4.

sun-drop

Any one suspect Bungie's timing the Destiny reveal pretty much makes it a lock to be a feature of this playstation event?

i mean .. they announced the date for this AFTER sony put their foot in the ground for the 20th ... and as it turns out destiny seems by all accounts NOT to be a xbox exclusive ... so the spoiler card wasn't a factor ... maybe they mealy wanted to debut their game out on it's own rather than having it shown for the very first time during some one else's event ?

since they already uncovered the game a full 2 days earlier .. then the path is now clear for sony to go ahead and talk about it in relation to ps3 (4?)

bungie mentioned that it wasn't up to them to make platform announcements.. maybe we'll just get a bullet point on a slide of "coming soon" games or something ... but i think .. maybe more ..

SadAli

Neo Member
I've been trying to stay out of this thread as much as possible so that my personal hype is kept at a responsible level but I've finally been beaten by the sheer brilliance of some of these gifs and can fight it no longer.

Well played GAF, roll on the 20th and the follow up thread of elated and disappointed gifs...

I've been trying to stay out of this thread as much as possible so that my personal hype is kept at a responsible level but I've finally been beaten by the sheer brilliance of some of these gifs and can fight it no longer.

Well played GAF, roll on the 20th and the follow up thread of elated and disappointed gifs...

good, good, now here's your badge of kaz
uFHNuX7.jpg

mrklaw

MrArseFace
All I want is the following:
- Reveal of PS4 model
- Reveal of the DS4 (And functions if possible)
- Reveal of the OS.

Games can wait until E3.

really?

We have blue balls now. How do you think we'll be if we just see the machine and a souped up XMB/Vita OS?

We'll be sitting there waiting for E3 going 'ooh, I wonder what the games will look like'

I think we need to see some games - perhaps primarily first party, perhaps teases for games that are a little further out, and at least some strategically important third party partnership guff - you know the usual trot out EA/Activision/Ubisoft and talk about how important their relationship is to Sony, we are committed etc.

nib95

Banned
People expecting more than a teaser event will probably be disappointed imo. Sony have E3 and GamesCon to go. Don't give in to the media hype. They need you to browse their sites and unique streams.

DBT85

People expecting more than a teaser event will probably be disappointed imo. Sony have E3 and GamesCon to go. Don't give in to the media hype. They need you to browse their sites and unique streams.

What would you consider a teaser?

They showed plenty at the Vita announce, and that event wasn't nearly as hyped as this one.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Spend 30 minutes showing what we know already

they are inviting investors, they have to spend some time pointing out the success of the brand and the continued support for PS3 etc (ten year lifecycle blah blah)

just tune out if you find it boring

Forsete

Gold Member

They need to do more than tease us. The way they are hyping this points to more than a teaser IMO.

I WANT TO BELIEVE! :p

nib95

Banned
What would you consider a teaser?

They showed plenty at the Vita announce, and that event wasn't nearly as hyped as this one.

Mainly an event about PS3 and Vita, with the big reveal being more a, here's the new console, here's the controller, here's a showreel for what you can expect, see you at E3!

No price, date or game specifics.

they are inviting investors, they have to spend some time pointing out the success of the brand and the continued support for PS3 etc (ten year lifecycle blah blah)

just tune out if you find it boring
Then why even make a big deal to big with with the whole first to know site

Loudninja

Mainly an event about PS3 and Vita, with the big reveal being more a, here's the new console, here's the controller, here's a showreel for what you can expect, see you at E3!

No price, date or game specifics.
Eh look at the last PS meeting for comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom