• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Meeting trailer: See the Future. Feb. 20th [Will Be Livestreamed]

Status
Not open for further replies.
All the media is reporting on the possibility of the PS4. Think of the repercussions Sony will have if they don't reveal it. They pretty much have to at this point.

DBT85

Mainly an event about PS3 and Vita, with the big reveal being more a, here's the new console, here's the controller, here's a showreel for what you can expect, see you at E3!

No price, date or game specifics.

That doesn't make sense to me. They have the whole gaming world looking at them to see what cards they are holding. No way are they just going to up the ante and go to E3 and share the limelight with whatever Ms and Ninty come up with.

Every gaming blog, site, and news outlet is covering this, it'll be mainstream news and in newspapers and magazines. To my mind they will want to knock our socks off.

Date and price will almost certainly be E3 though, that one they will probably want to keep close to their chest to be able to react to MS if needed.

spwolf

here's the controller, here's a showreel for what you can expect, see you at E3!

No price, date or game specifics.

thats not really showing teaser :)... but yeah, thats what will most likely happen... they show console, controler and games without prices or exact dates.

nib95

Banned
Then why even make a big deal to big with with the whole first to know site

How have they made a big deal exactly? With a few YouTube videos and GAF banner ads? Far as I can tell there's been no enormous expensive marketing campaign behind this event or anything. Media and GAF etc is responsible for much of that hype. But we shall see.

How have they made a big deal exactly? With a few YouTube videos and GAF banner ads? Far as I can tell there's been no enormous expensive marketing campaign behind this event or anything. Media and GAF etc is responsible for much of that hype. But we shall see.
Did they put up a website before vitas playstation meeting too.

winstano

Destination PlayStation isn't a press event is it? I thought it was mainly a retailer event.

It is. They show off their upcoming stuff for retailers to make plans AFAIK. No way they'd say "Hey guys, look at this new thing!" and expect all of them to keep their mouths shut if they're showing off the PS4. Makes sense to have an event now, get the unveiling out of the way, and then brief retailers on the plans etc afterward.

Fezzan

Unconfirmed Member
All the media is reporting on the possibility of the PS4. Think of the repercussions Sony will have if they don't reveal it. They pretty much have to at this point.

Imagine if Don Mattrick came on stage and told everyone this was really an MS event.

Nestunt

Destination PlayStation isn't a press event is it? I thought it was mainly a retailer event.

Precisely

PS3 is retailers territory

PS4 is news territory

if they focus their Destination on PS3 is great for promoting God of War and Last of Us bundles

Fezzan

Unconfirmed Member
Hey that sounds like the Mission Impossible 2 gif :p

untitled-3jiltw.gif

aganu

barca vs milan + PS4 announcement on the same day AGHDFKHNGFSGA I CANT TAKE IT

save mee

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m62vksqXxd1r5di4d.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/VuIVS17.jpg

That taunting ad by Sony has made him seriously angry. Beware Messi and co. He's hungry for goals.

Don't know if anyone posted this from gamesindustry.biz, 2/15:

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-02-15-playstation-4-must-demolish-the-walled-garden

We know what will be in the box, but never has that been so unimportant. Nobody sane doubts Sony's ability to competently construct a box that sits under a television and plays games that look nicer than the ones we've got now.

Given the drastic changes in management and direction we've seen in the past half-decade, I very much doubt that we're going to get a repeat of the bombastic, hardware-focused announcement of the PS3 - the opening shots of a specification war that turned out to be an irrelevant sideshow, as PS3 and Xbox 360 ended up evenly matched for all intents and purposes, and Wii happily trounced the pair of them in sales anyway. If, however, next week's show really is all "look how shiny our polygons are!", it'll be cause to seriously worry about whether Sony has a future in this business at all.

Instead, next week needs to be about the rest of the puzzle. It needs to be about distribution, and platform, and pricing - not of the hardware, but of the software. Most of all, it needs to be about the business model. Sony needs to show the world that it's been paying attention as platforms like iOS, Android and Steam have torn up the rulebook and fundamentally shaken the relationship between developers, publishers and platform holders.

Consoles cannot just be a playground for publishers with millions to spend, because that's not where game development is headed, as an industry. Where the indie developers have blazed a trail, more established firms are now following - recognising that, at long last, they have an option other than prostrating themselves at the gates of the platform holders' walled gardens. If Sony's announcements next week doesn't address that, its entire strategy for the next five years must be called into question.

iMax

excuse me guys, i have asked this many times but no one has ever been able to find it.

The MTV video of the xbox360 when announced, you know the one with peter moore saying daft shit like "the zen of gaming" or that bald twat on the floor in his hoody suit combo looking a dick.

Same video when they announced they teamed up with Square Enix (only to give us a video of a game that wont be available for like..ever)

I really want to watch this video again, it was hilarious at the time, i can only imagine how awesome it is now :D

i'm sure someone here has a link to it?
---

Those are all from three different events. Think they're all on YouTube though, watched some of them recently.

i haven't been following the thread, so apologies if this has been discussed already but what are uk-gaffers doing? i can't stay up because it'll be ridiculously late here, so does anyone know if the video will be available to watch anywhere after the event? i'd like to bookmark it so i can watch it fresh without having all the juicy details spoiled here/elsewhere!

nib95

Banned
i haven't been following the thread, so apologies if this has been discussed already but what are uk-gaffers doing? i can't stay up because it'll be ridiculously late here, so does anyone know if the video will be available to watch anywhere after the event? i'd like to bookmark it so i can watch it fresh without having all the juicy details spoiled here/elsewhere!

11pm is not ridiculously late...

Endo Punk

No doubt a substantial amount of time will also be spent on social features and apps, put that with motion controls as something I don't give a fuck about. But I guess you gotta appeal to everyone, Im not sure if that means Im the type of gamer that's easy to entice because I still bloody game like it's 1998. Just show me the games and the hardware and Im in.

I think it would be great if they lightened up the approval process to put games out on the console. Android, iOS and PCs don't really have that. And the same needs to apply for patches. The Skyrim debacle last year really proved the point, what with Steam getting patches like a month in advance.

Some US Gaffer should take it upon himself and open a thread now in which he'll insert a link to a spoilerfree recording of the event as soon as available. Those who can't stay up or have to be somewhere else, could just bookmark the thread and open it, when they're ready to witness the 2nd coming of Kaz.

I would do it, but when Kaz turns off the lights, it'll be around 2 o'clock in the morning here.

anyone got this feeling that they expect Sony to open up their platform and let any one able to make games/apps for the console just like android/ios appstore? with the current business model, you need expensive devkit to make games, or if you're small developer, either get publishers to publish it for you, or make a deal with platform holder and they'll lend you devkit etc. mobile appstore, anyone can make games and apps for pretty low cost.

I guess if Sony expand PSMobile to ps4 they could open it to pretty much everyone developing stuff for ps4. but I think ideally it need to do more than just games

DESTROYA

Man oh man it can't come soon enough, do you guys think they will show what it looks like( final form ) or just announce hardware specs and games. Bring it!

I hope this won't be as dissapointing as Vita heaven :(. I do of course have MUCH higher hopes for this one :lol. Well if Sony leaves Vita behind they better be 100% going out with PS4.

Eh a somewhat tech filled presentation wouldn't be the worst thing. We still have a pretty full event run until these things launch, they can give us all the features and whatnot at E3/TGS where there will be more eyes and ears on.

They're definitely going to need to stress how good the specs are compared to PS3 at some point. That's what will drive early adoption for $400 console. Show some pretty games or demos. Show the new controller. Maybe some new services if you have them ready to show.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I'm starting to get excited too..

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck, this is gonna be AWESOME I WANT SUPER GRAPHICS ONMY SCREEN

Acheteedo

People expecting more than a teaser event will probably be disappointed imo. Sony have E3 and GamesCon to go. Don't give in to the media hype. They need you to browse their sites and unique streams.

I'm with you, nib, we've literally just seen how expectations can spiral out of control with the Destiny announcement. GT seem to be trying their hardest to set people up for disappointment, and it's certainly taking effect. Keep expectations low, then it's a win-win.

Melville

Didn't Geoff Keighley tease something a few days ago? He said we would see something on Monday. Does anyone have a clue at what time we can expect to see whatever that is?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom