• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Meeting trailer: See the Future. Feb. 20th [Will Be Livestreamed]

Status
Not open for further replies.
anyone got this feeling that they expect Sony to open up their platform and let any one able to make games/apps for the console just like android/ios appstore? with the current business model, you need expensive devkit to make games, or if you're small developer, either get publishers to publish it for you, or make a deal with platform holder and they'll lend you devkit etc. mobile appstore, anyone can make games and apps for pretty low cost.

I guess if Sony expand PSMobile to ps4 they could open it to pretty much everyone developing stuff for ps4. but I think ideally it need to do more than just games

I don't think Sony is interested or capable of curating an online ecosystem like the App Store. And because of the prohibitive cost and hoops involved in getting a foot in the door, there's no incentive for small game developers to try and get their game on PSN when Steam and iOS/Android exist. That is, outside of the few developers whom Sony has partnered with - and we're learning that these partnerships (Journey, etc) really aren't in either party's best financial interest.

They seem to have painted themselves into a corner marked "screwed."

wilflare

image Kaz spending the first part talking about PS3/Vita stuff/games...

then the lights dim..
and Kaz clears his throat and says..

"the moment we've all been waiting for"

imagine the meltdown on GAF. lol..

nib95

Banned
I'm with you, nib, we've literally just seen how expectations can spiral out of control with the Destiny announcement. GT seem to be trying their hardest to set people up for disappointment, and it's certainly taking effect. Keep expectations low, then it's a win-win.

GT do this every single time, but people never learn. Geoff and GT need the coverage, the more hype the better. We need to be realistic here. Has Geoff ever actually been credible on any of his hype fests on Twitter etc?

I just feel like if this event was going to be as big as people are hyping it, Sony might have spent more on actually advertising it. But who knows, maybe they banked on free advertising from the media and forum hype.

McHuj

IMO, I'm getting annoyed with the great wii sales arguments. Sure it caught fre early on, but just because Nintendo released a WiiU should we stop counting? The other consoles are still selling well and may surpass the wii (in certain regions at least) if anything, IMO, the wii showed that once the hype died, there was nothing to sustain it.

I agree that both new consoles need online infrastructures that allow more independent developers access, but that's independent of the technology that goes into the console. Both the software and hardware have to be compelling and have to do what isn't possible on mobile or dated tech like the WiiU.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Anyways to keep things in line, and if anyone hasn't seen the G4 video of the playstation history do so:

http://youtu.be/ryi1QBA6XyI

I'd rather talk about things I like rather than getting involved in a console war.

Man this documentary is so good. The history of PlayStation is amazing. What would Nintendo be like today if they would have partnered with Sony and kept the deal in place?

lefantome

Playstation#?

iMWgaqCymoIuI.gif

somebody has to make a gift with the opening of the Prisoner ROTFL

I'm with you, nib, we've literally just seen how expectations can spiral out of control with the Destiny announcement. GT seem to be trying their hardest to set people up for disappointment, and it's certainly taking effect. Keep expectations low, then it's a win-win.

I waited so long for the next generation of consoles, that I'll already be more than satisfied to finally just see its design, the controller, the name of the machine and maybe one or two new games from the 1st party studios. I've got no problem keeping my expectations in check.

Eh a somewhat tech filled presentation wouldn't be the worst thing. We still have a pretty full event run until these things launch, they can give us all the features and whatnot at E3/TGS where there will be more eyes and ears on.

They're definitely going to need to stress how good the specs are compared to PS3 at some point. That's what will drive early adoption for $400 console. Show some pretty games or demos. Show the new controller. Maybe some new services if you have them ready to show.

A tech-filled presentation that's short on info about their services and next-gen strategy could show everyone how little they've learned about what's changed since the launch of their last console.

Acheteedo

I just feel like if this event was going to be as big as people are hyping it, Sony might have spent more on actually advertising it. But who knows, maybe they banked on free advertising from the media and forum hype.

Here's the thing though, even if Sony just get a janitor to waltz out on stage and say "PS4... uhhh... 2013" before slamming the curtains down and sending everyone home, it's still a huge deal. The announcement of their next console is huge to Sony, huge to the media, and huge to us, and that tiny official announcement alone instantly opens up the floodgates to third parties wanting to show off their wares. Consequences will never be the same. It's just that us greedy gamers have an insatiable appetite, so even if Sony deliver a considerable amount more than that, it will not be enough for majority people here.

I've had no real thoughts on what to expect from this event.

Saying that, if this is the genuine reveal of the PS4 I think Sony should go to great lengths with the technical information. Obviously nothing too obtuse, but enough to outline what this thing will be capable of.

Sid

What if GT6,Versus XIII and Killzone 4 are launch titles for the PS4 and TLG a few months later? and what if PS4 gets a worldwide launch too.....

spons

Gold Member
Would be the troll of the century if that was a PS3 event

But i think they will talk about PS4 AND PS3 aswell. That console still has games coming out... In the future...

It's a given that it's PS4, with the hour pre-broadcast from GT. They probably already know it's about PS4, otherwise they wouldn't waste the time and money.

I hate this elitist attitude. Why should sony bread and butter fans give a shit about ios, steam and android folks who have a different idea on what their 2 dollar games looks and plays like?

The same sort of folks who abandoned nintendo right now after the blazing wii revolution.

Sony knows too well to cater completely to a fickle market when it's bread and butter fans are what keeps their gaming division alive to this day

Fuck that. Sony already has cut through a large part of their fanbase by throwing out BC. Listening to this article will completely destroy them

I hate this elitist attitude. Why should sony bread and butter fans give a shit about ios, steam and android folks who have a different idea on what their 2 dollar games looks and plays like?

The same sort of folks who abandoned nintendo right now after the blazing wii revolution.

Sony knows too well to cater completely to a fickle market when it's bread and butter fans are what keeps their gaming division alive to this day

Fuck that. Sony already has cut through a large part of their fanbase by throwing out BC. Listening to this article will completely destroy them

How did throwing out BC affect sales?

Sony's doing an admirable job of destroying themselves. http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-02-07-sonys-playstation-profits-slump-86-per-cent-in-q3

This "attitude" has nothing to do with elitism and everything to do with being pragmatic about both Sony's ailing position and the state of the games industry in 2013.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom