• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread | April 2015

Jawmuncher

Only played Dino Crisis 2 back in the PSone days, playing both now back to back really blew my mind with how much they changed the formula.
They went from a true survival horror experience with great focus on puzzle solving straight to mindless arcade shooter. Damn.

DC2 as I have said before is basically a platinum game had they been around on PS1.
It's quite the change but it's still damn fun. I kind of like how different 1 and 2. Both offer unique experiences, yet easily feel like that they're related.

Jawmuncher

Dino Crisis 1 has aged tremendously. Quite impressive on Vita considering its age.

In terms of gameplay all of the SH games have aged quite well. Even earlier stuff like RE:DE. As for DC, the fact that it was fully 3D environments helps a lot as well. It still looks really good and scales quite well. Even if stretched to widescreen.

Tohsaka

I don't think I'll be able to finish *w* Quintet before release, it's really long. If you've pre ordered it already I assume you know what you're getting into and I'd recommend keeping the preorder, personally. I'll try to have some form of review up but I'll slap this here for those interested:

-Combat system is great, very complicated, so complex you can ignore a fair few mechanics and still get by fine most of the time.
-FFX style turn system where you manage the delay of your attacks and turn order, combo attacks when allies turns line up
-Multiple actions per turn based on weapon proficiency
-FFX style "sensor" that shows elemental weaknesses, and also status weaknesses, and abilities. You get a crazy amount of info mid battle and it's pretty great
-Characters have default roles but you can easily break out of them just by switching gear and learning skills
-Nothing is TOO broken combat wise, other than special skills sorta (roughly EXE skills from Neptunia). Managing SP is very important.
-Game is too easy for too many chapters, playing on hard might be best (I haven't tried hard yet). It just started being kinda challenging in chapter 6 (9 chapters I think). There is also an easy mode for babbies
-The story is basically what you expect for better or worse. Not as good as Neptunia in terms of characters/story/art style either. Far less references.
-Missables, but if you know they're coming it's not a big deal. Do all sidequests before advancing story, EVER
-Fields are way bigger and more interactive than Neptunia. You revisit often with new abilities to get some extra goodies. Map movement is fast, with fast travel points, and an unlockable even faster movement speed
-There is a button to mute the mid-battle singing (a limit break sort of deal) and the actual idol show stuff is entirely optional/skippable
-I'm 56 hours in, at chapter 7 (of 9? 10? I think?), like 10 of those hours are from leaving the PS4 on overnight, but it's pretty long. Or, JRPG length perhaps I should say

...that was supposed to be short. I don't do short well

Sounds right up my alley, looking forward to getting it next week.

autoduelist

Is Eye of Judgement on PSP playable on Vita? I love Hearthstone.. will I like Eye of Judgement?

It's a solid ccg, if that's what you're asking. I haven't played Hearthstone yet, but i've played quite a few ccgs. The original PS3 had a gimmick where you needed to play on a mat using the Eye and 'play' cards.. it's streamlined on the psp and you just play like a normal digital card game.

I'd recommend it, personally. it's not the best ccg ever made, but it's far from the worst and it's quite fun and generally keeps a solid challenge. It's been ages since i've played it though (i have it on a different account, need to rebuy for my vita acct, which is why I'm definitely waiting on a sale).

It's a solid ccg, if that's what you're asking. I haven't played Hearthstone yet, but i've played quite a few ccgs. The original PS3 had a gimmick where you needed to play on a mat using the Eye and 'play' cards.. it's streamlined on the psp and you just play like a normal digital card game.

I'd recommend it, personally. it's not the best ccg ever made, but it's far from the worst and it's quite fun and generally keeps a solid challenge. It's been ages since i've played it though (i have it on a different account, need to rebuy for my vita acct, which is why I'm definitely waiting on a sale).

Cool, I'll get it if it's on sale. I always held off since I thought it did require some sort of AR, happy to hear it doesn't.

You really have to give Hearthstone a shot, it's incredibly good.

incpdo

I'm kinda excited for shovel knight on vita , I hope the game to be $15 but idk anyways my wallet is ready , my vita is prepared.

RK128

I'm kinda excited for shovel knight on vita , I hope the game to be $15 but idk anyways my wallet is ready , my vita is prepared.

The game is 15 bucks without the PS+ discount but with the Plus discount, the game is 1.50 off (so instead of 15$, it ends up being 13.50$).

Can't wait to get it myself :D; wanted to play this for quite a while but even though I had the means (2DS in November), I waited for the best version of the game to launch, and that is the Vita version coming tomorrow :).

Heard fantastic things about this game, so it is going to be a treat to play this on campus tomorrow in-between classes :D.

Edit: Beaten XD! Still, it is great the game is coming out tomorrow :).

Tizoc

2 games were released last year that each represented a gaming era-
Shovel Knight was a throwback to NES era platformers
Freedom Planet was a throwback to Genesis/MD era platformers

I have SK on Steam/PC and while I like and do agree it's good...I haven't been playing it consistently.
When I got Freedom Planet I would play it without taking long breaks between playthroughs.

With SK I'd play 2 stages then take like a few months gap between continuing to play it lol.

SK's stage length is good and level design is good too. Bosses on the other hand are somewhat of a let down: Just do the pogo shovel attack and they'll get wasted in no time, felt disappointing compared to FP's bosses who were quite challenging.

FP is very likely to release on Vita and PS4 in the near future, but I wish they did segment/split the stages into 2 acts at the very least since each stage takes like 10-15 minutes to complete!

See I liked how Sonic 3&K split each Zone into 2 acts and would've liked if the game did the same, and also added a score counter. Having stages split into 2 acts (at least) gives a nice sense of progression and also a good method of 'short burst of playing', meaning you could spend 5-10 to complete an act, take a break and come back, etc.

Non the less, get hype for both, and hopefully SK will look glorious on dat OLED like the PSX Megaman games~

The NIS countdown has been revealed as a Witch and the Hundred Knight port for the PS4:

It's a port for PS4.

PS3:
T0gQLvb.jpg

PS4:
ltHEqZ3.jpg

http://dengekionline.com/elem/000/001/041/1041276/

NIS, this is going to sell like 10k. Good luck.

Never got the original, so I'll get this. Hopefully it's like their portable ports that get additional content. Probably won't sell anywhere near as well as the original though.

Tizoc

The NIS countdown has been revealed as a Witch and the Hundred Knight port for the PS4:

Never got the original, so I'll get this. Hopefully it's like their portable ports that get additional content. Probably won't sell anywhere near as well as the original though.

That...is disappointing. I expected nothing and I'm still disappointed...
Still might pick it on PS4 down the line~

Tapejara

I have the PS3 version, but I never played it. Will definitely give the PS4 version a shot though. Would have been cool if they could have done a Vita port as well.

incpdo

2 games were released last year that each represented a gaming era-
Shovel Knight was a throwback to NES era platformers
Freedom Planet was a throwback to Genesis/MD era platformers

I have SK on Steam/PC and while I like and do agree it's good...I haven't been playing it consistently.
When I got Freedom Planet I would play it without taking long breaks between playthroughs.

With SK I'd play 2 stages then take like a few months gap between continuing to play it lol.

SK's stage length is good and level design is good too. Bosses on the other hand are somewhat of a let down: Just do the pogo shovel attack and they'll get wasted in no time, felt disappointing compared to FP's bosses who were quite challenging.

FP is very likely to release on Vita and PS4 in the near future, but I wish they did segment/split the stages into 2 acts at the very least since each stage takes like 10-15 minutes to complete!

See I liked how Sonic 3&K split each Zone into 2 acts and would've liked if the game did the same, and also added a score counter. Having stages split into 2 acts (at least) gives a nice sense of progression and also a good method of 'short burst of playing', meaning you could spend 5-10 to complete an act, take a break and come back, etc.

Non the less, get hype for both, and hopefully SK will look glorious on dat OLED like the PSX Megaman games~
According to Wikipedia the developer of freedom planet is " saving money to port the game to PlayStation vita" so we need to support this guy, the game seems awesome and I like the character designs.

HGH

Banned
I don't think I'll be able to finish *w* Quintet before release, it's really long. If you've pre ordered it already I assume you know what you're getting into and I'd recommend keeping the preorder, personally. I'll try to have some form of review up but I'll slap this here for those interested:

...that was supposed to be short. I don't do short well
Kinda sad that their most robust and well developed combat system by far is attached to that skeleton of a story. It honestly sounds interesting and what few reviews I've seen praise the former and decry the latter.
From what I've seen of hard mode, the game doesn't start ramping up difficulty till the Theater Hall. It's when enemies start showing up in packs of 5 and 6 and around the time you get your full party.
The game is normally 9 chapters with an additional tenth for the real(read:not terrible) ending. Except it has some really obtuse unlocking conditions.
I hope people can overlook the objectionable aesthetic to enjoy the core game, it seems great for minmaxing stuff.

First name: Makoto.
Last name: Yuki.

Is this correct?
Sorry for the late answer but yes.

Tizoc

According to Wikipedia the developer of freedom planet is " saving money to port the game to PlayStation vita" so we need to support this guy, the game seems awesome and I like the character designs.
Ive made half a dozen givewAys of the pc ver so far ;P.

VLiberty

Wow really? I hope Shahid & co. can give him all the possible help. As a Sonic fan I'm hoping so much for a Vita release

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
What I played of the PC version was pretty awful to be honest. I think fans of classic Sonic and Mega Drive era platformers in general that are excited to play Freedom Planet should approach it with caution. The pacing is all over the place.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood

That PS4 version could have been easily made on PS3 lol.

It has additional content and you can play as "that witch"(Metallia?).

Tizoc

What I played of the PC version was pretty awful to be honest. I think fans of classic Sonic and Mega Drive era platformers in general that are excited to play Freedom Planet should approach it with caution. The pacing is all over the place.

As a big fan of Sonic and MD/Genesis era platformers, I loved the game and it was my GotY 2014. If it gets released on Sony systems this year it'd be eligable to be among my top 10 again.

As I wrote it is best if the game split stages into 2 acts, as is the game feels complete but may as well be Early Access as it feels like some stuff should be added to make it better :p

That PS4 version could have been easily made on PS3 lol.

It has additional content and you can play as "that witch"(Metallia?).

Yeah, there's supposed to be a new mode, I guess. The game is basically shaping up to be one of their usual remakes. Same base game with extra content.

Takao

Banned
http://automaton.am/articles/news-bits/dissidia-developer-interview-part-1/
It was around the end of 2012 when I was talking with Takahashi* about creating the next entry into Dissidia Final Fantasy. The first thing we tried to nail down was which hardware platform to go with. At the time, we were thinking it would be a sequel to a PSP game, so it should go on the PS Vita. It was at that time that Taito, a subsidiary of our corporate group [Square Enix], reached out to us and suggested doing a Final Fantasy arcade game. So we figured, well, let’s hear them out—and that was how things got started.

*[Translator’s note: Dissidia Final Fantasy director Mitsunori Takahashi]

Z2keSCb.gif

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Wait Taito is part of SE? Didn't know that.
For some reason i'm not surprised about how Dissidia ended to arcades.

deadfolk

I'm hoping for some PS4 sales during golden week, as I have $19 of credit on the US store, but I'm in EU so it's no use for Vita stuff, and I rarely play my PS3 these days.

Yasumi

Banned
I'm hoping for some PS4 sales during golden week, as I have $19 of credit on the US store, but I'm in EU so it's no use for Vita stuff, and I rarely play my PS3 these days.
Maybe just Akiba's Trip. There haven't been many Japanese PS4 games released yet.

RK128

That would be fantastic :D! I've been holding out on the game (as like Shovel Knight, I want to play it on Vita), so it coming at some point is really nice to hear :). The game itself is very interesting, as it was just a fun Sonic Fan game originally but it got completely overhauled into a new IP using Sonic elements but still doing its own thing.

From footage I saw, the game seems to be a mix of Sonic, Gunstar Heroes and Mario; Sonic in terms of how fast you can go and how the worlds physics work, Gunstar for how crazy the boss fights look to be, and Mario for the more precise platforming sections of the game.

Great news to see it coming to PlayStation at some point :D.

HGH

Banned
Power to NIS and all, but wasn't the original a very mediocre game? /:

It was supremely average edging to bad gameplay wise. NISA's bugs bumped that up to really bad, what with it crashing to XMB at random times on random copies due to a memory leak bug.
Good story though.

Speaking of wholly average rereleases, the new Fairy Fencer on PS4 is in fact not new but an expanded remake.

Li Kao

Hmm, trying to understand how I can use the PS3 with my PC headphones. Digging through two boxes of leftover cables collected over the years. Many funs, much joy.
I suppose it would be easier to just buy a jack to RCA (?) adapter for the A/V receiver...

Sorry, but I can't help myself from laughing really hard at this reactionGIF.

When you put out a physical [console] release, you want to include all these characters, you want to challenge yourself [to try and include all these features]. But even if you put out a physical release and increase the number characters through DLC and rebalance them, the number of players still steadily decreases.

And I think there’s just something off with users having to pay so much for that, even when the number of total users is shrinking...
But with the arcade, you can go to the arcade, money in hand, and when you get there there’ll always be the most up-to-date version of the game, [creating] a fair online environment for everyone. The user can also save, and we can keep adding characters at a rapid pace.

My mind is asking "then don't ask them to pay?"

Then I remembered Aerith assist character on Duodecim was only obtainable if you bought the paid demo. -___-

SerTapTap

need that fairy fencer f sequel in my veins, first game was fantastic

Did it pick up gameplay-wise? I stopped playing for some reason maybe a chapter after getting boobie girl. It wasn't bad but didn't really drag me in either. And now I need to finish *w* which seems like a far better implementation of the Nep Victory engine. Tiara/Cui were the main reason I was playing.

It was supremely average edging to bad gameplay wise. NISA's bugs bumped that up to really bad, what with it crashing to XMB at random times on random copies due to a memory leak bug.
Good story though.

Speaking of wholly average rereleases, the new Fairy Fencer on PS4 is in fact not new but an expanded remake.

Well that's extra lame, I thought they said it was going to be a sequel and just include the story of the original game or something.

Kinda sad that their most robust and well developed combat system by far is attached to that skeleton of a story. It honestly sounds interesting and what few reviews I've seen praise the former and decry the latter.
From what I've seen of hard mode, the game doesn't start ramping up difficulty till the Theater Hall. It's when enemies start showing up in packs of 5 and 6 and around the time you get your full party.

I think story is over-prioritized in JRPGs critically speaking (and people are almost never happy post FF 7 or 9) but better writing (humorous or serious) would have been appreciated. Personally I'd gladly rather play this than suffer awful gameplay for an apparently good story (hence my unopened copy of Drakengard 3). JRPGs are way, way too fucking long for the gameplay to not be enjoyable. Actually they're just way too fucking long...*w* does some good stuff to respect players time, but also does some bullshit (missables whyyyy, and some fairly pointless dialog)

My biggest complaint story-wise is that they introduce a great rival with vicious insults who loses her teeth less than a chapter later. Gaming needs more catty villains with good lines. Portal 2 was worth the asking price just to be insulted by GLaDOS.

You get the full party of 5 pretty early anyway, I thought it was around chapter 3 or 4? And yeah that wouldn't surprise me, only so much you can do with tiny packs of enemies with almost no abilities.

Vylash

Did it pick up gameplay-wise? I stopped playing for some reason maybe a chapter after getting boobie girl. It wasn't bad but didn't really drag me in either. And now I need to finish *w* which seems like a far better implementation of the Nep Victory engine. Tiara/Cui were the main reason I was playing.

Well that's extra lame, I thought they said it was going to be a sequel and just include the story of the original game or something.

how dare you refer to Harley like that, and the gameplay is the same for the entire game, but i love the gameplay so whatevs

also it's not a remake, it's a sequel but with things form the first game so newcomers can jump right in

SerTapTap

how dare you refer to Harley like that, and the gameplay is the same for the entire game, but i love the gameplay so whatevs

also it's not a remake, it's a sequel but with things form the first game so newcomers can jump right in

I mean, is it wrong? And the gameplay seemed okay, just not very different from Neptunia. *w* does pretty major changes, about as major as you could do while still clearly being built upon the engine (though the UI would be a giveaway).

And oh, I guess that's pretty much what I expected then. Are they hiring Amano to do the cover art and nothing else again? I love me some Amano art and I'm sure he's expensive but that's such a weird situation. Dream would be Amano monsters and Tsunako humans.

Also I hope FFF 2 changes the hideously over-designed VN interface.

Dino Crisis 1 has aged tremendously. Quite impressive on Vita considering its age.

I think with Tank Controls you're either good to go or you hate it, age doesn't really matter. But yeah I enjoyed playing DC way late, back in the day I only played DC2 as 1 was...actually I don't know, I played all of Silent Hill fine, played RE 1-3 with cheats (sorry), couldn't get into DC even though I had it. Good game though. Shame the ending twist basically ruins the series over time.

Top Bottom