• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread (Vita/PS3/PS4) | October 2014

Tapejara

Man, this thread barely moved at all today. I remember reading this page when I woke up twelve hours ago lol.

Also, I picked up Natural Doctrine for PS4; Best Buy Canada was having a sale. Hopefully I'll end up loving it as much as autoduelist does!

Edit: Oh, top of page. Buy Spelunker HD Ultimate Edition if you're crazy like me and enjoy unfairly difficult games.

corruption? chicken little BS i have 3 64 gb cards 2 full for the most part ZERO issues.

you do realize you sound like some sort if desperate PR mouthpiece right? same goes for your other posts lol.

game got exactly the amount of attention as the effort that went into making it. even kadokawa is trying to pretend it doesnt exist anymore.

its not a title id be falsely trying to lure new users into either.

game seriously is an acquired taste and should be stated as so. its an ugly game that has bare minimum to everything besides the combat system which most def not click with everyone due to its unique nature. game most def does not ease the player into it either.
Hey now, the guy is not falsely luring anyone here. It's a legit game that surely has its faults (which everyone acknowledges), but has some real depth to explore as well. It fills an srgp gap that is severely underserved on the vita. And there are plenty of games that get constant hype by peeps that do not get criticized far enough (yes, p4g is one). I know, he's pumped on it, but that last post just describes an aspect of the game that was hardly covered in reviews-I know, cause I looked all over for mp coverage.

Amazon has 8 PlayStation TVs for $85 at Very Good and Like New condition. The like new one says it's factory sealed.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KVMHSUM/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I kinda want to get one of these just for streaming vita games... but I don't have a decent capture card yet. Other than that, I can't really think of a good use for one, honestly. Hoping they'll drop in price to ~60$ or so and I'll be able to pick one up without much thought.

I kinda want to get one of these just for streaming vita games... but I don't have a decent capture card yet. Other than that, I can't really think of a good use for one, honestly. Hoping they'll drop in price to ~60$ or so and I'll be able to pick one up without much thought.

Just make sure to research the capture card stuff first, I've read in a few places that it has some kind of security thing that may interfere with streaming with the thing.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
There are people here who spout love for P4G or Danganropa every chance they get. Other people (including myself) spout love for games like Frozen Synapse or TxK.

I can't stand P4G, and I dislike visual novels like Danganropa.

I do, however, LOVE Natural Doctrine, which, unlike a game like P4G which gets glowing reviews despite mediocre gameplay (dungeon design, etc), got absolutely hellish reviews by people (some of who clearly didn't spend the time with the game to learn its systems). Thanks to those reviews that caused people to cancel preorders and/or avoid the game, people that do love the game are now the only voice for the game.

Visual novels are 'an acquired taste'. P4G is an acquired taste. And yes, SRPGs are an acquired taste. So what?

I don't think it's remotely 'ugly' either. It's an srpg. Who cares? It's got fine graphics, I don't really have any issue with them whatsoever.

People hate on Crimsonland graphics too. You know what? It's one of the best dual stick shooters ever made. Who cares if it's 'ugly'?

So yeah, I'll let my love for this game shine here, and I really don't care what you think about it. It's my favorite vita game, by far. Sorry I'm not cheerleading sanctioned games like P4G, but I love this forum and part of the reason is that there are disparate tastes. Mine obviously aren't yours, and I'm fine with that. Just because I love a game you didn't doesn't mean you need to try to chide me for it because it's not on your approved list. I don't call you out for liking/not liking games.

There are people here who post their love for all sorts of games. That's a good thing. Even if I don't care about or like some of them.

your post just further goes to show why your general opinions are to be taken into suspect. which usually is the case with those who do constant cheerleading.

you got called out because you are trying to paint only half a picture while forgetting everyone does not equal you therefore because you claim to have found it easy and constantly flaunt what difficulty mode you played it on you make the assumption that others will be fine also and that the game is worth folks to spend hard earned cash on. not to mention as originally stated the constant blind cheerleading is getting old.

people know im asshole here at GAF but at least they know i dont bullshit them about titles when it comes to both sides of the coin. as folks here work hard for their money and deserve not to have that wasted when it comes to game purchases. and natural doctrine is most def such a title that people need to know exactly what they are getting into without the rose colored glasses.

you got called out as your posting habits made it visible. trying to make it look like others are doing the same as yourself isnt helping.

Just make sure to research the capture card stuff first, I've read in a few places that it has some kind of security thing that may interfere with streaming with the thing.

seriously? Guess that's another thing to add to my list of things to be peeved about. Thanks for the heads-up. I'll look into it in more detail when the time comes.

Parakeetman

the vita tv still has hdcp therefore if you plan on streaming you will need something to bypass that.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
seriously? Guess that's another thing to add to my list of things to be peeved about. Thanks for the heads-up. I'll look into it in more detail when the time comes.
It just has HDCP just like all HD consoles (except the Wii U). Can be bypassed with a $20 splitter.

P-A actually had Asian PSTVs for $60 like 2 weeks ago but I'm pretty sure the thing is going to bomb in the west anyways so they'll probably drop that low once retailers start trying to clear them out or on black friday.

Parakeetman

It just has HDCP just like all HD consoles (except the Wii U). Can be bypassed with a $20 splitter.

P-A actually had Asian PSTVs for $60 like 2 weeks ago but I'm pretty sure the thing is going to bomb in the west anyways so they'll probably drop that low once retailers start trying to clear them out or on black friday.

will be a damned shame if the PSTV doesnt do well since its a great little device. even more so for those who have a bunch of digital titles. though as mentioned before largest neck is the mem card prices which sony needs to stop being idiots about with the price. you would think the exclusitivity for manufacturing would have worn off by now similar to with the psp and mem stick duo. unless the tech isnt gaining traction.

Shizuka

I'd like some help. Does anyone know of a good Danganronpa 2 playthrough on YouTube? My boyfriend, while not the ideal course of action, has watched the anime, loved it to bits and now since there is no anime of the second game just yet, wants to watch a playthrough.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
will be a damned shame if the PSTV doesnt do well since its a great little device. even more so for those who have a bunch of digital titles. though as mentioned before largest neck is the mem card prices which sony needs to stop being idiots about with the price. you would think the exclusitivity for manufacturing would have worn off by now similar to with the psp and mem stick duo. unless the tech isnt gaining traction.
Yeah it's a very nice device but there's too many factors working against it for it to become successful among western users who weren't interested in a Vita in the first place. No Netflix (wtf) and an abysmal compatibility list of games that sites are already laying onto it heavily for.

I don't think memory will drop anytime soon, unfortunately. The pro duos and many of their later iterations were co-developed with Sandisk and are used in a bunch of Sony devices like cameras/phones so they had to keep up with price expecations compared with competing products (SD/microSD). On the other hand the Vita memory card was made with special anti-piracy features in mind and is only compatible with the Vita (and like will only ever be). Sony probably wants to keep that locked down due to how bad PSP piracy got and there probably isn't much money to be made for other companies to pick up 3rd party production considering the tiny Vita market.

ZeroAKA

I just spent 3 hours switching off between Monster Strike and that new F2P Yu-Gi-Oh game on the iPad. I might be addicted all over again. Why won't Konami make a native Vita game? :(

Parakeetman

I just spent 3 hours switching off between Monster Strike and that new F2P Yu-Gi-Oh game on the iPad. I might be addicted all over again. Why won't Konami make a native Vita game? :(

konami seems to be pretty broke on the consumer side of things in japan. would be hard for them to compete against their own f2p game also unfortunately. easier to get it in the hands of kids on the mobile f2p way that vita full priced game &#931;(&#12494;&#1076;<)

though heard their mobile division is doing not too bad.

damned shame konami used to have a ton of great ips too.

Yeah it's a very nice device but there's too many factors working against it for it to become successful among western users who weren't interested in a Vita in the first place. No Netflix (wtf) and an abysmal compatibility list of games that sites are already laying onto it heavily for.

I don't think memory will drop anytime soon, unfortunately. The pro duos and many of their later iterations were co-developed with Sandisk and are used in a bunch of Sony devices like cameras/phones so they had to keep up with price expecations compared with competing products (SD/microSD). On the other hand the Vita memory card was made with special anti-piracy features in mind and is only compatible with the Vita (and like will only ever be). Sony probably wants to keep that locked down due to how bad PSP piracy got and there probably isn't much money to be made for other companies to pick up 3rd party production considering the tiny Vita market.

since i dont follow much tech news and such so basically the vita mem card is only used with the vita and no other sony products? if so that pretty much fills in the gaps why the price is still so high.

mclem

Inspired by the Fatal Frame sale that's only in the US at the moment, I've finally taken the plunge and made a US PSN account to pick them up.

Is there a canonical up-to-date list anywhere of the differences between the catalogues of EU and US PSN? Now I'm here, I'm sure there's quite a bit of other stuff I'd like to have as well - I already noticed a few SMT titles, for one thing; I'm sure I *could* buy enough to get the rebate, but I need to study the catalogues first!

Tizoc

Inspired by the Fatal Frame sale that's only in the US at the moment, I've finally taken the plunge and made a US PSN account to pick them up.

Is there a canonical up-to-date list anywhere of the differences between the catalogues of EU and US PSN? Now I'm here, I'm sure there's quite a bit of other stuff I'd like to have as well - I already noticed a few SMT titles, for one thing; I'm sure I *could* buy enough to get the rebate, but I need to study the catalogues first!

Err I could give you a list of what PAL PS2 games had a 60 Hz option if that's OK?

mclem

Err I could give you a list of what PAL PS2 games had a 60 Hz option if that's OK?

Nonono, I was wondering if there was a list of products I can get now I have a US store account that I can't with an EU account. I noticed Syphon Filter 2 there as well, that for some reason has never had a PSN release over here.

Tizoc

Nonono, I was wondering if there was a list of products I can get now I have a US store account that I can't with an EU account. I noticed Syphon Filter 2 there as well, that for some reason has never had a PSN release over here.

Oh a list of PS2 and PSX Classics on US PSN?
Well while I can't tell which are on US PSN but not EU, Here's the Classics page that should show most of the PSX and PS2 classics on US PSN
https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/#!/en-us/classics/cid=STORE-MSF77008-CLASSICS

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
corruption? chicken little BS i have 3 64 gb cards 2 full for the most part ZERO issues.

you do realize you sound like some sort if desperate PR mouthpiece right? same goes for your other posts lol.

game got exactly the amount of attention as the effort that went into making it. even kadokawa is trying to pretend it doesnt exist anymore.

its not a title id be falsely trying to lure new users into either.

game seriously is an acquired taste and should be stated as so. its an ugly game that has bare minimum to everything besides the combat system which most def not click with everyone due to its unique nature. game most def does not ease the player into it either.
I haven't played it(i'm waiting for a sale) and i can agree that the production value may be low(how many Vita games are in the same league though?) but my instinct says that there are very high chances that this game is a misunderstood one or at least can have a niece audience, for some reason having high difficulty and requiring high efforts seem to be pros only in Souls games.

Faabulous

For a JRPG lover, which is better: Vita or PS3?

I've been thinking about jumping into consoles (always been a PC gamer, only ever owned a PS2 and the only portable I own is a PSP) and I'm looking into getting a PS3 but a PSV is also really attractive to me. Thing is, I don't have money for both.
Love me some Persona, so I'm basically torn between getting a PSV for P4G now or a PS3 for P5 later. Help me decide GAF.

Tizoc

I've been thinking about jumping into consoles (always been a PC gamer, only ever owned a PS2 and the only portable I own is a PSP) and I'm looking into getting a PS3 but a PSV is also really attractive to me. Thing is, I don't have money for both.
Love me some Persona, so I'm basically torn between getting a PSV for P4G now or a PS3 for P5 later. Help me decide GAF.

Well PSVita has access to lots of classic jRPGs from the PSX and PSP era, if that kind of thing interests you.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood

If you count PSP and PS1 games then Vita wins hands down, you can have all the Final Fantasy from 1 to X-2, Persona from 1 to 4, the many awesome PSP jrpgs and so on, Vita other than exclusive jrpgs also has many upgraded ports of PS3 jrpgs like Atelier and Neptunia games so you won't miss many PS3 jrpgs(that are not many anyway)

Parakeetman

if you plan on importing a ps3 since you can have multiple accounts a vita is more of a pain in the ass when attempting that.

also really will come down to what you want to play. you will miss out on the tales series games if you go with the vita though.

both have a good library though so research will be your deciding point. but most def since you want p5 personally id say go with the ps3.

Faabulous

@Tizoc @2+2=5 @Parakeetman

Well, my PSP is still working and I own quite a few games for it, so PSP and PS1 classics don't matter that much. But P4 on the go would be pretty sweet.
I have played most of the PS2/PSP JRPG's, with that in mind would you guys still recommend a vita?

Whynotboth.gif

In all seriousness I would seriously look into each console's catalogue as people around these parts, myself included, have different tastes, and different biases. I for example would also tell you to buy a Vita, the system is a goldmine of RPGs, it is still getting support (yeah, yeah, enough with the Vita is getting no games, they are still coming, unlike the PS3 that is now essentially dead), and you have access to not one, but 3 of the best RPG libraries you can get, PS1, PSP and PSV.

Also, if your major reason for buying a PS3 is Persona 5 (high five brother), I would say hold on to that thought, and save the money for later, get a Vita now. No one knows when next year the game will drop. For all we know, it might only drop in the Fall next year.

So there you have it, those are my two cents. Like I said, I would first look at the library before following anyone's advice on here, take into consideration how you would rather play (small vs big screen) and go from there.

Manac0r

Purely anecdotal but I'm on my second 64gb card for my Vita. The first 'died' while I left my Vita on charge for a long weekend. As it was from Nippon Yassan my chances of returning it were slim, so found one on Amazon.co.uk as there is more chance of them fulfilling any kind of warranty in case it goes again.

I blame myself for neglecting the Vita... But in my defence I had just picked up my Ps4. Jealous consoles.... :smh:

Parakeetman

Purely anecdotal but I'm on my second 64gb card for my Vita. The first 'died' while I left my Vita on charge for a long weekend. As it was from Nippon Yassan my chances of returning it were slim, so found one on Amazon.co.uk as there is more chance of them fulfilling any kind of warranty in case it goes again.

I blame myself for neglecting the Vita... But in my defence I had just picked up my Ps4. Jealous consoles.... :smh:

generally with portable devices leaving them plugged in like that for long periods of time is a bad idea

Tizoc

lol suppa
tumblr_ne0pjjRX2n1u1k1oyo1_1280.png

killatopak

What the heck is it even saying, I've never seen anything like that lol.

After watching some co-op gameplay, as well as some PvP footage, I am even more stocked for Freedom Wars than ever. Getting this digitally, with this type of games I would rather have them on my system at all times, without having to swap carts.

I would like to see a show of hands (or rather posts) of those who will be getting this. :p I don't know whether people are actually going to get this game, or if everyone is just quiet. I feel like every Vita owner should buy it, as a way of telling Sony that we want more Sony games on the Vita.

I will. Not on day one though.

Manac0r

generally with portable devices leaving them plugged in like that for long periods of time is a bad idea

Agreed. I now fully charge my Vita then run the battery down before recharging. Plus power surges, which although uncommon can cause damage to data. Might get me one of those surge protectors, just incase.

Also goes without saying but VitaGAF make sure you check the auto upload for your favourite game saves, manually doesn't cut it!

E: I will be picking up Freedom Wars, day 1 when its released in the EU, 31st I believe. Feel free to add me (already got some VitaGAF on my list) PSN: Manac0r33

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood

Well, my PSP is still working and I own quite a few games for it, so PSP and PS1 classics don't matter that much. But P4 on the go would be pretty sweet.
I have played most of the PS2/PSP JRPG's, with that in mind would you guys still recommend a vita?

Honestly i don't have a single PS3 jrpg because i love to play them on handheld but i don't think that the PS3 is considered a jrpg machine, at this point(3 years of Vita against 8 years of PS3) i think they are more or less at the same level, excluding games that are on both(atelier, neptunia, FFX/X-2, SAO: Lost Song) some Vita games are Persona 4, YS, SAO:HF, and upcoming ones are Tales of Heart, Oreshika, Digimon(imo it will be localized), PS3 has Ni No Kuni(honestly i'm not sure it's as good as it looks though), Tales of games, Souls games(i don't consider them jrpgs though), upcoming ones are Persona 5 and (i don't know lol).

It's up to you.

Parakeetman

Once again as stated, really will depend on what you exactly want. If you are working at the same time just save up for the other which most def P5 will be something that Id imagine still is some time away if you want to play things on the Vita now.

Both have excellent library of games yet function differently, so it will be your call and understanding what is available to you with each system. Truthfully I still must say the PS3 is a better bet just because of being able to hop around regions on the fly if there is something you want somewhere else. As long as you have $$$ cards for said region you are pretty much good to go for purchases. Well that and the fake addresses to use to sign up for them, but lots of guides around on doing that.

Vita is a great machine also and seems like you really do want to play Persona on it.

Anyways thats about all I can say here, the rest will be up to you and what you expect out of the machine / library.

Faabulous

Thanks for the answers guys! I've decided for a Vita. I'll grab a new one this week. What about PS+? Is it worth it for the Vita alone?

redcrayon

I stand by my love for this game, and I have never once said it's anything other than a solid tactical game that will not appeal to people who don't like deep systems / strategy / turn planning / complex combat systems. I've likened the complexity to games like Resonance of Fate, also know for being complex. It's not like I'm claiming it's a beginner game like Jeanne D'arc.
I think you've been quite fair in explaining why you love it. As you say, to each their own, I've certainly loved games that were poorly received by many in the past.

For me, personally, the issue with Natural Doctrine is that 'deep systems / strategy / turn planning / complex combat systems' are pretty much all I play, particularly WWII/medieval ones on PC in addition to SRPGs on consoles, I've been playing both for a long time. I'm a strategy game nut, and even I find it not particularly difficult, but inelegant and poorly explained, the second of which (but not the first) was also my issue with Resonance of Fate. Still, it was worth a go and not the worst strategy game I've played by a long shot. Definitely worth a go if you like this kind of thing- it seems like something you'll either fall in love with or discard very quickly.

As I've said elsewhere, I agree with you on Frozen Synapse being awesome, but to me the two are like night and day in terms of having both the depth of strategy and options for victory in addition to an elegant system of seeing the factors in play and issuing commands. Often it seems like it's complex and awkward for the sake of being complex and awkward rather than through necessity regarding the number of variables in play, is what I'm getting at.

Still, just my opinion and all that.

Parakeetman

Thanks for the answers guys! I've decided for a Vita. I'll grab a new one this week. What about PS+? Is it worth it for the Vita alone?

Even if you dont own a PS3 you still should be able to tag things for your account I do believe. Though you might have to do it through the web browser for the SEN site. Since you dont have to actually download anything, just have it flagged that its associated with your account. Which means clicking on it when its free on PS+. You will see when you mess with the UI via web browser.

But yes it is worth it considering you will be able to take part in the PS+ discounts and free titles when they do pop up.

Also the cloud saving is useful too.

RalchAC

Yeah, get it. The first week of each month go to PSN using your browser and buy everything. You have interest in getting both, so you can start building a PS3 (and 4) library while you only have your Vita.

Keep in mind that Vita Store doesn't show PS3/4 games. But the browser store shows everything.

What the heck is it even saying, I've never seen anything like that lol.

After watching some co-op gameplay, as well as some PvP footage, I am even more stocked for Freedom Wars than ever. Getting this digitally, with this type of games I would rather have them on my system at all times, without having to swap carts.

I would like to see a show of hands (or rather posts) of those who will be getting this. :p I don't know whether people are actually going to get this game, or if everyone is just quiet. I feel like every Vita owner should buy it, as a way of telling Sony that we want more Sony games on the Vita.

Day 0 for me. :)

Kerned

Banned
Are people still playing PvZ: Garden Warfare? Is it a good game? I'm kind of thinking abut picking it up for PS4 since it's only $20 this week, but I don't want to bother if it's dead.

Are people still playing PvZ: Garden Warfare? Is it a good game? I'm kind of thinking abut picking it up for PS4 since it's only $20 this week, but I don't want to bother if it's dead.

Wondering the same. It sounded like the PC version was dying down and the ps4 one released with even less fanfare.

killatopak

Okay so I've been reading the SRWZ3 OT and I've seen someone mention a patch on the Vita. 1.02 or something. The problem is I don't see that yellow arrow sign pointing downward that's the download patch button on the game.

Do I have to have a JP account to download a patch? I know it's not the case in some games since I was able to download SAO:HF patches on an NA account but the game was Asian.

Okay so I've been reading the SRWZ3 OT and I've seen someone mention a patch on the Vita. 1.02 or something. The problem is I don't see that yellow arrow sign pointing downward that's the download patch button on the game.

Do I have to have a JP account to download a patch? I know it's not the case in some games since I was able to download SAO:HF patches on an NA account but the game was Asian.

Patches aren't region locked IIRC, press the refresh button and see if it pops up.

Top Bottom