• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Suite announced - PlayStation game framework for Android

I like the sound of this. If they have an easy, cheap and accessible SDK for developers to get their hands on, I'd expect plenty of quirky games and apps on the it.

ccbfan

Honestly ef PSP2 and its non portable size, PS3 lite, unknown price and battery.

Ef 3DS with its 3d that gives me headaches, low battery and high price.

This is the most exciting thing I've heard for portable gaming in years.

Finally a portable thats already in my pockets instead of something extra in my pocket.

You already can play any ps1 games on android. There is an emulator. It sucks because there are no physical controls. I don't see non Xperia phones suddenly getting slide out PS buttons just because of this.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Daaamnnn. I saw MediEvil. Now i gotta buy this :/

Now this only needs to succeed so Nintendo can follow suit

tzare

i wonder if we will be able to link our PSN profile to this service so i can use PSone games already purchased

This is just awesome I am reaching the end of the iPhone experience and was looking into an Android phone...Final Fantasy on my phone no other portables to carry with me done.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
awilliams213 said:
This is just awesome I am reaching the end of the iPhone experience and was looking into an Android phone...Final Fantasy on my phone no other portables to carry with me done.
psych-2.jpg

And to me this is the most excited I've been for portable tech/handhelds since the GBA was announced.

This is exactly what I was dreaming of with the next gen PSP. It delivered and then some for me. Now to see some more games at E3 and be blown away. The premise of some devs doing PS3/NGP experiences is very exciting and I'm so glad Sony isn't just taking conventional ways with this.

You can't downplay their efforts to put in certain things like the motion and rear touch (gimmicky). And the inner tech dude has me pumped for this.

Painraze

Unconfirmed Member
as a current iPhone owner and fan this makes me very excited.

The PSP2 and 3DS do not interest me because I don't want to carry around a bulky portable system in my pocket.... which is why I do 100% of my portable gaming on my iPhone (trust me, there is good stuff to be had here).

Sony introducing PSP2 does nothing for me other than "looks neat"... put this Playstation framework is huge, IMO. I'm not saying that I'll be ditching iPhone for Android anytime soon but I'll def be keeping an eye on that space now. If that PS framework takes off I could easily see myself making the jump unless Apple has something in their back pocket to counter act this.

tl;dr: not ditching iphone but interest in android increased 10 fold.

plainr_

Painraze said:
tl;dr: not ditching iphone but interest in android increased 10 fold.

This is exactly my stance. I'm happy with my iPhone 4 and I'll probably stick with Apple again for iPhone 5 but this got me interested in Android more than ever before. If they bundle the Xperia Play and the NGP for a good price I might jump ship.

Withnail

If Playstation Suite is a success with devs then NGP will have a very nice selection of mobile games available on day 1. It's a clever and interesting way for Sony to address the perceived threat of mobile phone gaming. They can say that NGP plays all those mobile games that people like and these traditional console-style games as well.

I'm looking at my Samsung Epic and trying to think what PS1 game I would want to play on it with the keyboard or touch screen.

Still, I approve of this move from Sony.

Raistlin

I must say, this is really a brilliant move. It shores up Android gaming to a reasonable spec and QC, something that's obviously been terribly lacking, and looks to instantly bring a catalog of respected PS1 games, sub-based music, movie service, etc.

So in one move, Sony may have 'fixed' some of Android's biggest flaws with respect to content and services versus the competition. However, it doesn't stop there. By making this run in PSP2 as well, it looks to instantly solve the problem of casual content on their 'real' portable. It even extends further to include content and service synergy between tablets, PS3, TV's, etc.

This could actually help to compete with Apple's ecosystem model. While I don't expect it to be as tightly coupled, nor as 'clean', it has the potential to extend to a much greater variety of products.

Color me shocked/impressed/happy

Zoe said:
Time to start saving up for that Galaxy S!

I hope we can transfer our PSN purchases... and from multiple regions.

if our psn account can transfer between the psp2, ps3, and ps suite devices, I'd convert to an all sony household immediately!

Raistlin

bdizzle said:
if our psn account can transfer between the psp2, ps3, and ps suite devices, I'd convert to an all sony household immediately!

Haha ... guess I'm not the only one thinking this is their intent.

Davidion

This is THE biggest announcement to come out of Sony in ages; it's a smart move and I hope something that the market embraces.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
now this

this is good

finally I can spend less time in the clusterfuck that is the Android Market, looking for decent games

Noshino

Raistlin said:
I must say, this is really a brilliant move. It shores up Android gaming to a reasonable spec and QC, something that's obviously been terribly lacking, and looks to instantly bring a catalog of respected PS1 games, sub-based music, movie service, etc.

So in one move, Sony may have 'fixed' some of Android's biggest flaws with respect to content and services versus the competition. However, it doesn't stop there. By making this run in PSP2 as well, it looks to instantly solve the problem of casual content on their 'real' portable. It even extends further to include content and service synergy between tablets, PS3, TV's, etc.

This could actually help to compete with Apple's ecosystem model. While I don't expect it to be as tightly coupled, nor as 'clean', it has the potential to extend to a much greater variety of products.

Color me shocked/impressed/happy
its not just that, this move takes a huge weight of Google's back, as they aren't the ones putting restrictions nor taking care of moderation, all of that is directed to Sony.

Had Google done this, there would've been a huge backlash. With Sony taking care of it? not so much.

Really smart move from both companies.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Some more commentary.

Sony to Offer Games for Google Android Phones in `Heresy' to Revive Profit

The move builds on Sony’s partnership with Google in Internet-enabled TVs and is a departure from practices at Nintendo and Microsoft Corp., which develop titles exclusively for their own platforms. More than 16 years after entering the game industry, Sony is responding to the popularity of products such as Apple Inc.’s iPhone and iPad among casual gamers, said Jack Tretton, the head of the U.S. operations.

“This is an opportunity to go to where casual gamers are emerging, introduce them to the PlayStation brand and maybe migrate them back to a more sophisticated device down the road,” Tretton said in an interview in Tokyo today. The company will reveal more details about the portable player in June at the annual E3 game conference in Los Angeles, he said.

“This is an acknowledgment that the games business has changed over the past few years,” said Jay Defibaugh, an analyst at MF Global FXA Securities in Tokyo. “It’s an interesting contrast with Nintendo, which will never provide content outside of its hardware platform.”

Nintendo President Satoru Iwata has dismissed selling the company’s software outside of its consoles and handhelds, referring to the idea as “heresy.”

“You won’t see it, not as long as I am the president,” Iwata said in an interview on Jan. 9.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
its a very interesting...idea...

sony is in the precarious position of being able to do this, as well. Microsoft would never do this for their games on Android or iOS. Maybe windows phone...but there's not exactly a lot of those out there. Nintendo wouldn't be able to since there's not really any "3D phones." Also, it would be almost as weird as Sony announcing something like this, but its not like Sony wasn't already making cell phones with Android on it.

the only thing i wonder is if they're gonna charge for this PS Suite functionality on our end

this is like Sony's second attempt of bite sized gaming after Minis right? Minis kinda failed to stay strong maybe because it's closed to ps3 and psp, so this is their 2nd attempt but bring the whole android market with them.

can I expect to play GameDevStory on psp2?

Raistlin

davepoobond said:
the only thing i wonder is if they're gonna charge for this PS Suite functionality on our end
Nothing other than the price of the content. It's a hardware spec that needs to be met. Beyond that, you'll just head over to the Playstation store which will be a separate section in the marketplace.

What will be interesting to see is if anyone else beyond SE makes some phones with dedicated controls? If this takes off at all, I suspect so. HTC will be all over it.

Callibretto said:
this is like Sony's second attempt of bite sized gaming after Minis right? Minis kinda failed to stay strong maybe because it's closed to ps3 and psp,
It is exactly what the Minis was initially advertised to do, but ended up being a lie - a 'platform' meant to run on numerous different HW's, including non gaming platforms.

so this is their 2nd attempt but bring the whole android market with them.
Which is why it's even more brilliant than just the above. Sony can now latch onto a huge and ever expanding userbase, and it isn't just some me-too after-thought. It is actually filling a very needed void in the Android ecosystem, and one that Google desperately wants in order to remain competitive. The former meaning there's actually a good chance at success, and the latter meaning some real support from the top down.

Davidion

Callibretto said:
this is like Sony's second attempt of bite sized gaming after Minis right? Minis kinda failed to stay strong maybe because it's closed to ps3 and psp, so this is their 2nd attempt but bring the whole android market with them.

I think the Minis failed because there was no cohesive vision for what the category represented and they ended up being haphazardly positioned just as the cheap siblings to their big traditional brothers while not being inexpensive enough and versatile enough to compete with their ios/flash alternatives.

This seems a lot more deliberate and clear in its positions.

daoster

This is kind of like the Amazon strategy with the Kindle: Releasing your own, specialized product, and then release software for potential competitors as well (iPad, other tablets, etc.).

Releasing it on the Android is a smart move, as gaming on the Android hasn't been the best. It'd be crazy if they could release this on something like Apple. How does the Kindle store work on iPads?

However, not having Google at the event makes me think that this is like the Amazon App story for the Android (Amazon releasing their own App store to compete with the Google one). Google won't have a problem with the Playstation Suite, but I don't think they'll be pushing it as hard as it needs to be pushed.

Plus, it probably won't be included in Android devices from the get go (sans Xperia Play and maybe future Xperia phones), and I don't think it'll actually be on the Google App Store, so there's a question of whether or not enough people will download the Playstation Suite.

Withnail

Callibretto said:

I think the Minis programme will be wound down now, why would a dev create a Mini when the same game could be on PS Suite instead? The only redeeming feature for Minis now is the size of the PSP+PS3 install base but that will probably be overtaken by suitable Android phones and NGP.

I think it is very likely indeed that you'll be able to play GameDevStory on PSP2.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I hope they talk about it at GDC.

Some more details on the framework would be nice.

For example, will any of the PSP2-specific features be exposed to devs on this? E.g. the rear-touch? I'm guessing not, but it would be nice.

Also curious about any PSN integration. Will these games show up in my PSN 'recently played'? Dare I even ask for a 'mini' trophy support? That would be killer.

Raistlin

daoster said:
However, not having Google at the event makes me think that this is like the Amazon App story for the Android (Amazon releasing their own App store to compete with the Google one). Google won't have a problem with the Playstation Suite, but I don't think they'll be pushing it as hard as it needs to be pushed.

Plus, it probably won't be included in Android devices from the get go (sans Xperia Play and maybe future Xperia phones), and I don't think it'll actually be on the Google App Store, so there's a question of whether or not enough people will download the Playstation Suite.
I beg to differ. I think it will be part of the marketplace, with access contingent on whether the device meets the required spec.

Similarly, I expect Google will make efforts so that it functions non only on phones, but Honeycomb tables and GoogleTV. The fact Sony is co-creator of the latter makes it logical.

gofreak said:
For example, will any of the PSP2-specific features be exposed to devs on this? E.g. the rear-touch? I'm guessing not, but it would be nice.
Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of this completely?

Carl

Withnail said:
I think the Minis programme will be wound down now, why would a dev create a Mini when the same game could be on PS Suite instead? The only redeeming feature for Minis now is the size of the PSP+PS3 install base but that will probably be overtaken by suitable Android phones and NGP.

I think it is very likely indeed that you'll be able to play GameDevStory on PSP2.

Minis will work on the NGP apparently too, so there's still reason to make them i guess

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Raistlin said:
I beg to differ. I think it will be part of the marketplace, with access contingent on whether the device meets the required spec.

Similarly, I expect Google will make efforts so that it functions non only on phones, but Honeycomb tables and GoogleTV. The fact Sony is co-creator of the latter makes it logical.

It would be a big boost, particularly for the prospect of other manufacturer support, if Google accommodated a PSN store on the marketplace. But it raises a lot of questions. I think it'll be a separate marketplace. (Although if there wasn't, it would neatly explain why there's no PSN Store on the Xperia Play...but then again, those units are clearly non-final, what with the Playstation Pocket branding etc.).

Raistlin said:
Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of this completely?

Just as an option. They could mandate that it only be an option. OR, let devs submit for PSP2 release only if they want to make something very rear-touch dependent. Just think it would be nice for indies to have access to that.

Luckyman

Banned
I don't want to sound negative (again) but what it the point for any developer to build new games for this? They can use 2.3+ apis and build directly to Android Market.

And there are PSX Droid already..

Withnail

I think it will use a separate marketplace, rather than the Google Android market, but all PlayStation Certified phones will have the PS Suite store pre-installed.

Carl said:
Minis will work on the NGP apparently too, so there's still reason to make them i guess

Surely only for backwards compatibility though. I can't think why devs would go to the hassle and expense of porting their game to Minis, particularly once NGP has launched.

Raistlin

gofreak said:
Also curious about any PSN integration. Will these games show up in my PSN 'recently played'? Dare I even ask for a 'mini' trophy support? That would be killer.
What I'm most curious about is whether 'cloud saving', or better yet ... 'cloud save states' will be there?

Basically you're playing a game on your PS3 or GoogleTV ... and then need to hit the road ... like a modern DVR, without missing a beat you just continue the game on your phone where you left off.

That's the sort of control flow would make the ecosystem simply incredible (obviously ripping off Airplay wouldn't hurt either :p)

daoster

Raistlin said:

I hope so. I mean, from what the Amazon App Store is sounding like, I don't think it's something that the Google store will offer...rather you're going to have to go on Amazon and download it from there.

If Google and Sony work together on the Playstation Suite, it could definitely be a big thing.

Raistlin

gofreak said:
It would be a big boost, particularly for the prospect of other manufacturer support, if Google accommodated a PSN store on the marketplace. But it raises a lot of questions. I think it'll be a separate marketplace. (Although if there wasn't, it would neatly explain why there's no PSN Store on the Xperia Play...but then again, those units are clearly non-final, what with the Playstation Pocket branding etc.).
My understanding is that Google is okay with both of those concepts.

gofreak said:
Just as an option. They could mandate that it only be an option. OR, let devs submit for PSP2 release only if they want to make something very rear-touch dependent. Just think it would be nice for indies to have access to that.
Okay that sounds reasonable

Noshino

Luckyman said:
I don't want to sound negative (again) but what it the point for any developer to build new games for this? They can use 2.3+ apis and build directly to Android Market.

having a game that can play on multiple cellphones, NGP, and possibly the PS3(?)... and the PS Network/Platform to support it? this is just nuts.

Withnail

Noshino said:
having a game that can play on multiple cellphones, NGP, and possibly the PS3(?)... and the PS Network/Platform to support it? this is just nuts.

Yep, and I bet it won't be too long before we see PS Suite on Bravias, Sony Blu-ray players, GoogleTV, etc, etc.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Luckyman said:

They can reach the NGP too with it.

I have a question, usually in a cross platform compatibility like this, there's some sort of emulator going on. for example ps1 games works on psp and ps3 because those have ps1 emulator on them. Minis work on ps3 because ps3 have limited psp emulator.

so how about ps suite? does ngp have emulator that plays android games, or do all software for ps suite will have to be ported individually to ngp format?

Top Bottom