• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Suite announced - PlayStation game framework for Android

nubbe

Sony have been flexing their muscle on several fronts lately.
Amazing how they are making good business decisions.

This should make Nintendo and Apple fearful

Baki

nubbe said:

The Giant is back.

:p

Canova

Banned
nubbe said:

lol, don't get carried away there. Nintendo maybe, but Apple is a different beast. Even MS is scared of Apple nowadays

I'm a fan of both Sony and Apple, and kinda disappointed to see they have to compete with each other. Sony should've been cuddling up with Apple not Google

CamHostage

canova said:
I'm a fan of both Sony and Apple, and kinda disappointed to see they have to compete with each other. Sony should've been cuddling up with Apple not Google

Apple doesn't share, they do the lone wolf routine (which is great if you're in with Apple, but if you have any streak of independence in you, you might find yourself at a bit of a loss.) Google is oriented from the root to be a company that shares everything and profits from partnerships and passed-along mindshare. I like Apple too, but this is a better fit.

Plus, Android is making huge strides on Apple's significant dominance in the mobile phone market on the hardware side. Google is still getting roundly trounced in software sales, however, so hopefully initiatives like PlayStation Suite will invite a more stable and active market.

...And although it's a long-shot, the press release for PlayStation Suite doesn't call this an exclusive partnership; it doesn't even mention Google's involvement at all, just that Sony's doing it on the Android platform. It's possible that PS Suite could open up further if the stars aligned (could you imagine playing PlayStation games on a Windows 7 Phone? You probably shouldn't bother imagining it, but nothing's impossible in this crazy platform generation.)

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Graphics Horse said:
But presumably limited to the ones with compatible button layout for now.

Perhaps not - one of their slides (posted earlier in the thread) clearly showed a virtual button implementation.

(Yes, I'm surprised too.)

Man

Someone should adjust the thread title.

PlayStation game framework for Android (and PSP2)

The OP info acknowledges this already.

El Sloth

Banned
Holy crap. Why make just one Playstation specific phone when you can just use all the other (Android)smartphones as well! This is a really fascinating idea. Will be so interesting to see how this all plays out.

As I said in the other thread, I like this idea, because while some people say mobile phones are the future and stuff, I didn't think so, because they don't really have a central place for lengthy, higher quality licensed games that separates from the sea of $3 games out there. I've thought of this idea before, but I thought there's no way that idea would come to fruition.

So this news makes me very happy.

It'll be interesting if other companies (like Valve) does something similar on Android.

Radogol

I don't understand what's the point of having this in NGP, assuming Playstation Classics will work as well. Could someone please explain?

Takao

Banned
Radogol said:
I don't understand what's the point of having this in NGP, assuming Playstation Classics will work as well. Could someone please explain?

Suite will expand out of just PSone Classics. Lower budget indie games will be made on this platform.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Radogol said:

Developers who want to develop PlayStation-suite Android games will also have the bonus of their games being playable on the PSP2. The Playstation Suite goes beyond PS1 games.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Andrew House talking about it:

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2011/01/27/introducing-ngp/

NGP is the first step in our portable strategy as we start to offer PlayStation experiences to a wider audience than ever before. As well as offering the ultimate portable gaming experience, via NGP, we will also be introducing a new way to deliver PlayStation games, via PlayStation Suite.

Casual gaming on multi-purpose mobile devices is a growing market that we simply cannot neglect. With that in mind, PS Suite is a new initiative to offer PlayStation quality games on Android based portable devices, be it mobile phones, smartphones or tablet PCs. By offering a fantastic selection of legacy PlayStation games (PS one classics), alongside content made specifically for PS Suite, we believe that we will be offering the PlayStation experience to a wider base of users.

Via a program, called PlayStation Certified license program, we will work with hardware manufacturers to provide devices that optimize the gaming experience. We want to give consumers the freedom to choose between various devices when they wish to enjoy a certain piece of PlayStation content.

We also realise that PlayStation content should be provided through a secure and unique means, that is both reliable and user friendly. Therefore we also plan to open PlayStation Store to download content on the Android based portable devices. This is a significant move for us and one that we firmly believe will make PlayStation content more accessible than ever before.

Durante

So Sony actually did what most of GAF considered the smartest move in the phone market. I don't know if this is the start of a positive trend or one of the first signs of the apocalypse.

Jea Song

Did the right thing
Ok, so this will be like an app for future android devices? Also, is this only for ps1 ports? Or will there be orginal content as well? And finally, does this mean psp ports as well for android devices?

Radogol

Takao said:
Suite will expand out of just PSone Classics. Lower budget indie games will be made on this platform.

ZealousD said:
Developers who want to develop PlayStation-suite Android games will also have the bonus of their games being playable on the PSP2. The Playstation Suite goes beyond PS1 games.

Thank you guys, I missed that.

CamHostage

Durante said:
So Sony actually did what most of GAF considered the smartest move in the phone market. I don't know if this is the start of a positive trend or one of the first signs of the apocalypse.

One-Console Future, here we (and oblivion) come!

KAL2006

Banned
I hope this means we will get apps too and not just games. Imagine the tons of cool apps you see on iPhone also available on PSP2

Looks like Sony is not giving up the fight even if their past mistakes still haunting them and their current competitors are as deadly as they can get. I think if they can ally themselves with the right partners & technologies , there's no reason why that can't create a healthy business environment. Best of luck to them, gaming needs real competition to be able to successfully cater to all the different segments of the global gaming populace.

cnizzle06

Banned
I don't get it. How can you release a game on multiple platforms that have an array of varying hardware/inputs/screen ect?

Remember when Sony pissed off MS by claiming the PS2 would compete with PCs? That spawned the XBox. Now Sony is going to piss of Apple. Good for us consumers I guess, but they are on dangerous ground now. MS is rather friendly compared to Apple.

Busty

Banned
After Sony made a big deal at CES about potentially becoming the '2nd biggest' tablet manufacturer behind Apple I can suddenly see how this could play into that claim.

Sony can manufacture tablets that are branded and 'specifically designed' for this new PS Suite but it also ties into every other compatible Android powered tablet.

I can seriously see this new PS Suite initiative breaking out for Sony in the next few years (providing they stay with it) as more and more affordable Android tablets come to the market.

I can honestly see this PS Suite becoming the default 'iTunes of gaming' brand for the Android platform.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
cnizzle06 said:
I don't get it. How can you release a game on multiple platforms that have an array of varying hardware/inputs/screen ect?

That's one of the problems with Android at the moment. But it sounds like Sony has some kind of target spec in mind, and all 'Playstation Certified' devices will have to comply with that. They may even do QA on the games before they hit the store to ensure they'll work on these devices. For both developers and consumers that'd be a big step up.

cnizzle06

Banned
gofreak said:
That's one of the problems with Android at the moment. But it sounds like Sony has some kind of target spec in mind, and all 'Playstation Certified' devices will have to comply with that. They may even do QA on the games before they hit the store to ensure they'll work on these devices. For both developers and consumers that'd be a big step up.
Doesn't that limit a hardware designer's spectrum to work with? Also, doesn't this put a whole lot more work and pressure on developers to accommodate every piece of hardware out there? It all just seems unfathomable to me.

sun-drop

just what i figured sony would do re thier psp phone ..it's the smartest move.

so the 'psp' phone is pretty much the reference phone for this PS suite certification thing ... the added bonus of having the actual physical buttons to make gaming easier.

but yeh ...not sure how behind it google are but we could be looking at what is in effect the andriod games store.

mind you there is also the tegra games store ...for those tegra dual core phones ...and ... ?

but yeh either way ..seems andriod phone's are not going to be short of gaming content

pretty nice touch all of the PS suite stuff will run on the NGP as well.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
cnizzle06 said:
Doesn't that limit a hardware designer's spectrum to work with? Also, doesn't this put a whole lot more work and pressure on developers to accommodate every piece of hardware out there? It all just seems unfathomable to me.

The spectrum is already extremely limited - Android devs typically don't optimise for different targets, they target a lowest common denominator (that on Android is quite low). Android 2.3+ would probably be a higher baseline than a lot are used to dealing with.

Like I say, I think Sony will give devs a certain spec to target, so devs know where to pitch the game. They'll possibly even QA the games so the devs don't have to. We shall see though - a lot depends on what certification entails for hardware manufacturers, but I think it'll be tied to certain 'rules' that will make testing easier to manage.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
cnizzle06 said:

The same as you do for Android now? "Game won't work on Android x.x or lower..." AKA: PC gaming?

And as it is, this is PSX games in an emulation wrapper for now. The "indies" is when the suite will really come to fruition.

cnizzle06 said:

The same way Microsoft does it with Windows Phone 7: Minimum hardware requirements. In Sony's case they also need a min req. for software (Android 2.3). But the thing with Android is the hacking stuff. It won't take long until we see the PlayStation Pocket app running on other phones. Certified or not.

In order for this to suceed they need to support not just higher end phones like XPERIA Arc/Galaxy S, but lower tier ones such as HTC Wildfire/Samsung i5800.

Zoe

Time to start saving up for that Galaxy S!

I hope we can transfer our PSN purchases... and from multiple regions.

Zaptruder

Banned
Shit. Sony stealin' mah ideas again.

Next thing you know, they'll offer downloadable games in stores via a kiosk distribution system.

And have CD keys authenticated against console and account keys with easy and straight forward ways to decouple that stuff, so that it can be installed on the system and sold, without needing the CD to run.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Lagspike_exe said:
In order for this to suceed they need to support not just higher end phones like XPERIA Arc/Galaxy S, but lower tier ones such as HTC Wildfire/Samsung i5800.

It won't be long before the former class of hardware and Android 2.3 is lower tier. This is a strategy for the long run.

It's going to be extremely interesting to watch this unfold. How many manufacturers will start making 'PlayStation' phones? How many users can Sony reach with this? The scope of it is potentially huge...if they play it right.

gofreak said:
I didn't notice that slide. But looks like physical buttons won't be a requirement for Suite-compliant hardware. That could vastly open up the range of supporting devices.

Yeah I'm surprised about that, I was expecting the XP to be the first Suite-compatible phone, with other manufacturers free to add the necessary buttons. It does give their phone an added selling point of removing all the overlay crap though.

Man said:
Very forward thinking.

Also the solution for people demanding simpler portable games.

Mmmm Shelly on PSP2? I can pretty easily port to Android, I just don't have a reason to. Hoping the dev licensing program is as accessible as on iOS. This could be huge.

Withnail

It's huge news for SCE and Sony in general. It's also huge news for Android and will certainly have got Apple's attention. Pretty excited to see how this plays out.

Josh7289

I'm not sold on the NGP but PS Suite is definitely interesting. If they support it properly I think they can actually take on the Apple threat in the portable gaming space. I could even see Sony transitioning to PS Suite as their primary platform in the future, positioning NGP as the high end alternative for those who want more power (actually, they did say that they hope to upsell people from PS Suite to NGP, but at the moment NGP is still their focus). Or, 5 years from now, NGP could become the low end alternative for those who can't afford a phone. NGP's successor will then take on the role of the new, by then possibly niche, powerful handheld device.

This is a pretty big thing, though, isn't it. Sony is basically trying out a software only or software focused role with PS Suite, which may eventually become their primary business over their own developed hardware.

It's definitely good for them in a business sense to have some footing in both the smartphone and dedicated portable gaming spaces, though, so they have something to fall back on no matter what happens.

Massa

Withnail said:
It's huge news for SCE and Sony in general. It's also huge news for Android and will certainly have got Apple's attention. Pretty excited to see how this plays out.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. I'm surprised this will run on multiple Android devices, kind of genius as Sony could potentially make Android a much more viable gaming platform and yet have full control over it (ie. they get the royalties, not Google).

It gives developers a standard platform to target, more visibility than they currently get on the Android marketplace and the compatibility with NGP will make sure these apps have a sizable market to begin with. Sony gets not only control and royalties from that but also strengthens the NGP as a device with a library of these small byte-sized/indie games.

Top Bottom