• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Suite announced - PlayStation game framework for Android

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
It is a very interesting idea, and in a lot of ways, its exactly what android needs. But I honestly cant think of one piece of Sony software that isn't total garbage when it's run on someone else's hardware, I have zero faith in them overcoming the issues with hardware divergence on android.

In a lot of ways it will be even harder to do than their PC software, the OS is changing every 6 months and hardware specs seem to be changing on a weekly basis.

I imagine the only phone this will ever work perfectly on is the PSPhone which I guess is fine, it will tie people in to SE phones much like itunes accounts tie people into iphones, but I don't see it becoming a kindle like soft road into NGP ownership.

androvsky

digita1alchemy said:
If they don't handle PSOne classic releases better than the NA Playstation Store, then who gives a shit.

I would imagine this could help fix the NA Playstation Store in terms of publisher support. Imagine trying to sell your old PS1 games on either the PS3 where everyone wants the latest and greatest, or the twilight of the PSP in the U.S., to all of a sudden your PS1 games will also now be playable on a large chunk of Android phones, where it's going to be among the better games available on the platform.

This might be why we recently saw a bunch of ESRB ratings for big PS1 games that were mysteriously absent from the U.S.

Huge jump in market size + far fewer competitive games. I wonder if Vic Ireland will finally be able to sell enough Arc the Lad copies to work on localizing PS1 games that never got the chance originally.

Withnail

Ghost said:
It is a very interesting idea, and in a lot of ways, its exactly what android needs. But I honestly cant think of one piece of Sony software that isn't total garbage when it's run on someone else's hardware, I have zero faith in them overcoming the issues with hardware divergence on android.

In a lot of ways it will be even harder to do than their PC software, the OS is changing every 6 months and hardware specs seem to be changing on a weekly basis.

I imagine the only phone this will ever work perfectly on is the PSPhone which I guess is fine, it will tie people in to SE phones much like itunes accounts tie people into iphones, but I don't see it becoming a kindle like soft road into NGP ownership.

Most of the software will not be made by Sony, it will be made by the people currently making cell phone games together with more traditional game devs/publishers that want to dabble in the mobile gaming arena. Sony are just offering a dedicated gaming marketplace with a level of quality control that is currently missing from Android and iOS markets. New Android phones will be required to have certain HW capabilities in order to be Playstation Certified, this will go a long way towards solving the fragmentation issues.

Raistlin

Callibretto said:
I have a question, usually in a cross platform compatibility like this, there's some sort of emulator going on. for example ps1 games works on psp and ps3 because those have ps1 emulator on them. Minis work on ps3 because ps3 have limited psp emulator.

so how about ps suite? does ngp have emulator that plays android games, or do all software for ps suite will have to be ported individually to ngp format?
It will be a VM, not an emulator.

So uhm... are Android phones really good? Just asking because on more than one occasion I've seen/heard people being not super impressed with them. I'm interested because I'm going to be upgrading my phone soon (sometime before June anyway) but I haven't decided what to get just yet. This announcement has added even more confusion to my decision-making.

Love the sound of this. When you think about it we are like a year (and a ton of luck) away from one game purchase working on FIVE devices

You buy some small team shooter on steam with steamworks (PC and Mac). That game also has Playstation Suite support and since your PSN id is connected to steam you now have a game that works 3 more places (PS3, NGP, and phone)

Sure this is pie in the sky and probably won't happen (and if it does only for like 2 or 3 games) and I doubt anyone is in a possition of owning those 5 devices...

but the fact that we are even moving in that direction makes me happy :)

Man

This must be *very* tempting for phone devs.

Make it for the PlayStation Suite on Androids and you automatically also release it on XX million amount of handheld consoles where where every owner is a gamer.

brandonh83 said:
So uhm... are Android phones really good? Just asking because on more than one occasion I've seen/heard people being not super impressed with them. I'm interested because I'm going to be upgrading my phone soon (sometime before June anyway) but I haven't decided what to get just yet. This announcement has added even more confusion to my decision-making.

Hardware wise, many are great. It's the gaming software that tends to be lacking compared with the competition. Hopefully this changes things.

Einbroch

Banned
HamPster PamPster said:
Love the sound of this. When you think about it we are like a year (and a ton of luck) away from one game purchase working on FIVE devices

You buy some small team shooter on steam with steamworks (PC and Mac). That game also has Playstation Suite support and since your PSN id is connected to steam you now have a game that works 3 more places (PS3, NGP, and phone)

Sure this is pie in the sky and probably won't happen (and if it does only for like 2 or 3 games) and I doubt anyone is in a possition of owning those 5 devices...

but the fact that we are even moving in that direction makes me happy :)
This.

Although I suspect there will be a "PS Suite" key that you might have to purchase. Buy the game for X system for $4.99, unlock for all systems on Suite for $9.99.

gregor7777 said:
Hardware wise, many are great. It's the gaming software that tends to be lacking compared with the competition. Hopefully this changes things.
Which is a shame. Sure it's not as powerful as the iPhone, but that doesn't mean it can't have good games. I just purchased Zenonia 2 yesterday and am loving it.

gregor7777 said:

Hm. I wonder if any newer models are scheduled to be released alongside PS Suite. I may hold off on the upgrade until I see what goes on with this.

Raistlin

Einbroch said:
This.

Although I suspect there will be a "PS Suite" key that you might have to purchase. Buy the game for X system for $4.99, unlock for all systems on Suite for $9.99.
Could be, which I'm fine with. It's no different than paying a few extra bucks for the BD/DVD/digital rev of a movie. Or eventually (hopefully) like using UltraViolet, or at least a similar concept.

brandonh83 said:
Hm. I wonder if any newer models are scheduled to be released alongside PS Suite. I may hold off on the upgrade until I see what goes on with this.
If gaming is a serious consideration for you, I'd recommend seeing how the SE game phone pans out versus the competition.

EviLore said:
This is actually a more interesting announcement than the PSP2. Could have a huge influence on how the smartphone market plays out going forward.

I agree entirely. The earliest I could conceivably have an NGP is 2013, but I have an Android phone right now.

Davidion said:
This seems a lot more deliberate and clear in its positions.

Yeah, this initiative is sort of a "like Minis, but not shitty!" iteration on the concept.

Raistlin said:
I beg to differ. I think it will be part of the marketplace

That seems very, very unlikely. The Android Marketplace works in a specific way and it's very unlikely that Google's going to incorporate a section of it that's completely controlled by another company when right now the marketplace is open in a very specific way.

It's much more fitting with the Android platform strategy to just let them create their own marketplace app and try to convince carriers to pre-install it.

Luckyman said:
I don't want to sound negative (again) but what it the point for any developer to build new games for this? They can use 2.3+ apis and build directly to Android Market.

Better promotion and visibility, (probably) better payment handling than the shitty handling on the Android Marketplace, access to sales on the NGP as well as Android devices.

Lonely1 said:
Will this include some sort of DRM?

Errr... obviously yes?

I pray to God that Google is currently making a GameCentre clone. Android desperatly needs a unifiee online system. Together with this, they could do very nicely in attracting consumers with interest in gaming.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
From his Eurogamer interview, Andrew House does basically seem to pitch it as their attempt to make an attractive Android marketplace for game devs, one not focussed around free content, but generating value for devs and more conventional game devs too:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ny-ngp-price-3g-version-more-interview?page=1

I think we announced two very significant elements of strategy today, and I think both are important. One is in response to and recognition of how the portable landscape has shifted and changed in the last five years, since we launched PSP.

With PlayStation Suite, we've essentially taken a good look at the Android marketplace. I think you'll find that the volume of games is generally in the casual space and the free space, but where the value is being generated is around richer and deeper games. They're generally for the audience that is, you know, your audience, your core audience.

So we thought, based on that, and in discussion with publishers and especially conventional game publishers, that there's a really significant opportunity in what I would call a middle segment – for a consumer that wants the convenience of a smartphone, but wants something deeper and richer than perhaps they generally get right now, and is prepared to pay for that.

The beauty of that strategy for publishers is that it allows them to leverage their existing content, and to find a new revenue stream. Several publishers have told me that they struggle, in the current Android marketplace, to find a home for their content and to find a new business model. We think we've gone a long way to address that.

gofreak said:
From his Eurogamer interview, Andrew House does basically seem to pitch it as their attempt to make an attractive Android marketplace for game devs, one not focussed around free content, but generating value for devs and more conventional game devs too:

He sounds really smart talking about this, but I really hope they've thought about payment here if their goal is really to run an alternative marketplace that can bring paid gaming to Android phones.

Another important thing this means is that those with an iOS device in their pocket can get in on Android gaming on PSP2. It always bugged me that there are multiple gaming platforms tied to phone service (a phone being something you typically only choose one of).

Though, I have to say, if Sony wants to whip up a Playstation Suite for iOS while they're at it, that'd be great.

Nif

I only hope that this leads to some development of bluetooth controllers or attachments for non-sony phones. I hate using the touchscreen for games that need proper buttons.

Painraze

Unconfirmed Member
Duane Cunningham said:
Though, I have to say, if Sony wants to whip up a Playstation Suite for iOS while they're at it, that'd be great.

That could very well happen depending on how well it does.

spwolf

charlequin said:
He sounds really smart talking about this, but I really hope they've thought about payment here if their goal is really to run an alternative marketplace that can bring paid gaming to Android phones.

i bet it will be all done via PSN, and PSN has more stores in various countries than Android Marketplace, and PSN cards in those countries as well.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Painraze said:
That could very well happen depending on how well it does.

Apple would never allow it. Although according to one article Hirai didn't rule out the possibility when asked - but like I say, Apple would NEVER allow it.

Kibbles said:
CoolBoarders! Nostalgia woa
sony-tokyo-event-1317-1296109536.jpg

sony-tokyo-event-1321-1296109538.jpg

I'd like to see someone pressing those L1/R1 buttons while controlling the character with the dpad.

spwolf said:
apple doesnt allow third party stores, of course :)

No, but games for developed for NGP could have an iOS-friendly framework. They could also have compatiblity with PSN the same way that OpenFeint or Plus+ works only on compatible games. They'd still go on sale in the App Store. PS1 Classics could still pave the way. Don't forget, Sony just released their official PSN app for iOS.

In light of the PS Suite news we already have, I don't think it seems exceptionally absurd. (which is to say, 24 hours ago, any of this would have seemed insane)

So I'm guessing this is still called Playstation Pocket as far as the consumer is concerned? NGP Store looks similar to that Xperia footage too.

lucius

Duane Cunningham said:
No, but games for developed for NGP could have an iOS-friendly framework. They could also have compatiblity with PSN the same way that OpenFeint or Plus+ works only on compatible games. They'd still go on sale in the App Store. PS1 Classics could still pave the way. Don't forget, Sony just released their official PSN app for iOS.

Do you know the name of the Official PSN app I tried to serch on the app store and a few came up.

keyrat

The only thing that worries me is that Google won't allow other markets in their market, so Sony is going to need to have this preinstalled on other manufacturers' phones for it to gain that multiplatform traction they want, and I don't see what HTC/Moto/Samsung have to gain in making that happen.

Alts

Duane Cunningham said:

In light of the PS Suite news we already have, I don't think it seems exceptionally absurd. (which is to say, 24 hours ago, any of this would have seemed insane)

There would have to be a completely separate Playstation Suite for that to work, given the difference in primary language of the two platforms (Java v Objective-C). Further, your example of OpenFeint is flawed in that they offer two separate products, a Java library and an Objective-C library. There is no friendliness between the two.

Carl

keyrat said:
The only thing that worries me is that Google won't allow other markets in their market, so Sony is going to need to have this preinstalled on other manufacturers' phones for it to gain that multiplatform traction they want, and I don't see what HTC/Moto/Samsung have to gain in making that happen.

You'd be surprised what they'll allow. They allow pretty much anything, it's very rare that they'll pull something.

keyrat said:

Pretty sure this will be all agreed with Google. It's basically just a way to get better games support on Android systems.

Withnail

keyrat said:
Sony can mandate that a phone must have the Sony marketplace preinstalled in order to be Playstation certified. They will be hoping that it will be something manufacturers want to have.

keyrat

I don't know, guys. Google just had Kongregate app removed because it was a market, and only after they reworked the app so it did not permanently install games, rather has you cache them each time you start one up, did they allow it back in the market.

Unless the Xperia Play sells absolutely gangbusters, I don't see why the other manufacturer's would want Sony making money on their phones.

edit: here's the article on the Kongregate Arcade: http://www.joystiq.com/2011/01/25/kongregate-arcade-back-in-android-marketplace-with-some-minor-c/

Lionheart

Hmm, I was really excited about PlayStation Suite and even considered to purchase that Xperia Play phone (which is rumored to release around April) if current PSN purchases of PSOne games can be played on PlayStation Suite devices.

However, now I read about this vague release date of 'this calendar year'. Of course the Xperia Play has not been announced yet, but 'this calendar year' somehow makes it sound like PlayStation Suite is so far away still...

So will the Xperia Play be launched later than expected or will it launch without the Suite pre-installed from the go? Or is Sony just being intentionally vague about the launch to give Sony Ericsson the chance to shine at the MWC in February with a 'surprise' Q2 launch?

Carl

keyrat said:
I don't know, guys. Google just had Kongregate app removed because it was a market, and only after they reworked the app so it did not permanently install games, rather has you cache them each time you start one up, did they allow it back in the market.

Unless the Xperia Play sells absolutely gangbusters, I don't see why the other manufacturer's would want Sony making money on their phones.

edit: here's the article on the Kongregate Arcade: http://www.joystiq.com/2011/01/25/kongregate-arcade-back-in-android-marketplace-with-some-minor-c/

I somehow doubt very much Sony would come out and announce this thing if they hadn't already had the thumbs up from Google.

lucius said:
Do you know the name of the Official PSN app I tried to serch on the app store and a few came up.
Sorry, it's Europe only. It sucks for those of us in NA. Although the third party myPSN seems to have the same functionality.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
keyrat said:

This marketplace won't be distributed on the Android Marketplace.

It'll be built into PlayStation certified devices.

As for why manufacturers would put it in? Depends on whether SCE can market it in a way that generates demand for it among users. It will, like you suggest, also depend on how well Sony's own devices do. And Sony may do other things to incentivise adoption - they could, for example, easily include a revenue share for the adopting company, if they wanted to be particularly aggressive.

Alts said:
There would have to be a completely separate Playstation Suite for that to work, given the difference in primary language of the two platforms (Java v Objective-C). Further, your example of OpenFeint is flawed in that they offer two separate products, a Java library and an Objective-C library. There is no friendliness between the two.
No kidding, I didn't realize there was such a disparity. So when studios release games on both iOS and Android (Angry Birds types) they have to start from the ground up for each version?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Lionheart said:
Hmm, I was really excited about PlayStation Suite and even considered to purchase that Xperia Play phone (which is rumored to release around April) if current PSN purchases of PSOne games can be played on PlayStation Suite devices.

However, now I read about this vague release date of 'this calendar year'. Of course the Xperia Play has not been announced yet, but 'this calendar year' somehow makes it sound like PlayStation Suite is so far away still...

So will the Xperia Play be launched later than expected or will it launch without the Suite pre-installed from the go? Or is Sony just being intentionally vague about the launch to give Sony Ericsson the chance to shine at the MWC in February with a 'surprise' Q2 launch?

I think Xperia Play is still coming Q2. But starting out Playstation Suite will be PSone games - which makes it easier to get a quick start. Over time they're going to build out the bespoke content offering.

Top Bottom