• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Suite announced - PlayStation game framework for Android

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
gofreak said:
He also seemed to suggest PS3 would play Suite apps, but that seemed to be 'instantly refuted' so I wouldn't take it as gospel.
Huh, how would that work w/o a touchscreen?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
chubigans said:
Huh, how would that work w/o a touchscreen?

It sort of gets touched on in the interview, they asked a question that I think was intended to prod along those lines. He said that touch wouldn't necessarily be standard. If there's a way for devs to flag what games work fine with just sticks and buttons, that stuff could be exposed on PS3 I guess.

I would take it with a grain of salt though. He seemed very uncertain after the fact, the PR person said they would check and get back to them so...we'll see.

Quasar

Mooreberg said:
This is indeed a good move. Android is huge and the market for games on it is wide open.

It does seem a good move to me too. Especially given the way gaming is expanding really fast into non dedicated handhelds. Sony really needs to tap into that. And glad to hear it will include original stuff, not just stuff from other Sony platforms.

-viper-

Banned
So I'll be able to play Android games on the PSP2?

Wow, well there is simply no need for me to use my iPhone 4 as a handheld gaming device anymore. Awesome.

Quasar

-viper- said:
So I'll be able to play Android games on the PSP2?

Wow, well there is simply no need for me to use my iPhone 4 as a handheld gaming device anymore. Awesome.

Just the games developed for the Sony Suite. Not any Android game.

UraMallas

canova said:
nope, gotta be 2.3
I thought these phones were upgradable? Like, I could download the 2.3 version when it came out? I guess I'm not too savvy when it come to phones... So, I would have to get a new fucking phone if I wanted all (I use "all" here to smash a point home) of these games? God damn you, technology.

Why For?

Banned
Couple of things/questions.

So is this JUSt PSOne games at the moment?

This is similar to what MS has done with Xbox Live on WP7 but obviously a bigger base to access given it's android? So we can still get trophies and use our existing PSN account?

Elixist

So is NGP going to be able to have the Android app store availabe for it? I thought I read that somewhere, but now I wonder if I just imagined it.

edit: beaten and it should have the app store that'd be fuckin sweet

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
SONY will most likely make this the steam of Cell Phones. Offer other PS like features (trophy, chat, cross-platform play with NPG/PS3, mulpliplayer infrastructure and hosting), better libraries especially for multi-core android phones of the future.

Canova

Banned
UraMallas said:
I thought these phones were upgradable? Like, I could download the 2.3 version when it came out? I guess I'm not too savvy when it come to phones... So, I would have to get a new fucking phone if I wanted all (I use "all" here to smash a point home) of these games? God damn you, technology.

yeah you can upgrade your phone to 2.3.

what I meant is that PS Suite only runs on Android 2.3

thuway

I am hoping an official Skype app can run in the background. This would not only let Cross Game Chat become a viability but also also the device to work as a phone :).

I was thinking about this and. if I'm understanding this right, this is the biggest thing to come out of this conference for Sony. Playstation Suite could be a cash cow for them if done right. Android's stigma is that it has no games and that it's not comparable to iphone/ipad in that regard. Playstation Suite fixes that stigma almost overnight, not only will it play PS1 games, but fully expect it to play PSP1 games as well as original content after it launches. If the dev kits are easy to code, cheap and accessible like the iOS dev kit, then there will be lots of indie developers doing games and non game apps. I'm guessing here, but I think Sony will probably make around 30% royalty fee on every game sold on it. On top of that, hardware manufactures that want access to the app must pay royalties to Sony.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
gofreak said:
It's cross-platform, and by the sounds of the PR, may even be available to non-Sony hardware manufacturers.
Has this been confirmed or deconfirmed? I was always under the impression that it's would be exclusive to the Xperia play and NGP only.

Jinfash said:
Has this been confirmed or deconfirmed? I was always under the impression that it's would be exclusive to the Xperia play and NGP only.

I took the on screen buttons to mean it will work with other devices. At least from my point of view, it is redundant to have a touch screen d-pad/buttons when you have physical ones on both the play and NGP.

Withnail

UraMallas said:
Oh shiii. I'm in.

Just because your phone can run 2.3 does not mean that you can get this. Your phone will need to be Playstation Certified, i.e. licenced by Sony. The Playstation Suite store is not going to be something anybody can just download.

Jinfash said:

Read the OP:

SCE will commence a “PlayStation®Certified” license program for hardware manufacturers. Through this program, SCE will offer necessary support, including development support as well as logo licensing, to ensure the delivery of PlayStation quality experience across various devices.

Sony Ericsson are just going to have the flagship device, but it will be open to other manufacturers. The ironic thing is that we thought the Xperia Play signalled the start of closer integration between SE and SCE, in fact it looks like we could soon see "Playstation phones" from HTC, Samsung, LG, etc. :D

Canova

Banned
Jinfash said:

it's hardware independent. As long as the hardware is running Android, whether it's a phone or tablet, it should be able to run PS Suite.

Gameboy415

*1 Android™ 2.3 or beyond is required.

As much as I love my Samsung Epic, I REALLY hope it gets updated soon so I can get in on the Playstation stuff. They haven't even released an official 2.2 update yet! :(

But considering the amount of advertising for the Epic on the PS3's Playstation Store, I'm optimistic.

Einbroch said:
This.

Although I suspect there will be a "PS Suite" key that you might have to purchase. Buy the game for X system for $4.99, unlock for all systems on Suite for $9.99.

Which is a shame. Sure it's not as powerful as the iPhone, but that doesn't mean it can't have good games. I just purchased Zenonia 2 yesterday and am loving it.

there's plenty of android phones more powerful than the iPhone.

canova said:
it's hardware independent. As long as the hardware is running Android, whether it's a phone or tablet, it should be able to run PS Suite.
That wouldn't be much better than the Android market right now. There has to be some sort of minimum hardware requirement, even if Sony didn't announced it yet (maybe at MWC in few weeks).

Rolf NB

Jinfash said:
brotkasten said:
That wouldn't be much better than the Android market right now. There has to be some sort of minimum hardware requirement, even if Sony didn't announced it yet (maybe at MWC in few weeks).
The bit about logo licensing seems relevant here, that almost has to refer to non-Sony device manufacturers. And if your smartphone doesn't carry the logo, don't expect it to work well, or at all.

... indeed, if it's really just a cert process, you might even be able to download PS store and games onto a phone where nothing really works. After a few bold warning messages, of course.

Man

All Android apps are running in an emulator environment to begin with I believe (on actual Android phones).

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I'd guess it boots a VM that runs a heavily customised version of Android that basically accepts an app as a parameter and runs it immediately. Presumably they'll design it to boot extremely quickly, and also to only run their DRM-ed/signed stuff.

teiresias

bdizzle said:
if this takes off, it'll [Steam] be on it sooner than later.

Yeah, but Steam is basically a store with some integrated social and chat stuff built in, it's not a toolchain for cross-hardware development per say, which is what it seems Sony is trying to offer here. I'm not sure Steam simply showing up buys it anything since it doesn't give devs a standard builder interface to use, which is more important on these various phone implementations than on a Windows PC.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Rolf NB said:
The bit about logo licensing seems relevant here, that almost has to refer to non-Sony device manufacturers. And if your smartphone doesn't carry the logo, don't expect it to work well, or at all.

Yes, Hirai talked about licensing logos and buttons to manufacturers, and in the Impress Watch interview he was quite explicit about them having a open stance on this. It's definitely open to non-Sony manufacturers.

I find it funny how our understanding of this has gone 180 - before the announcement this seemed perhaps like something being done to humour Sony or SE. Now it seems like SE is 'just another licensee' to SCE, one part of a potentially much bigger picture. Although, they are of course important in that they'll probably lead with some exemplar devices that other manufacturers will watch closely.

jiggle

new(?) interview with Hirai on this initiative
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/01/29/hirai_on_pss/

As Sony hopes to make use of the millions of Android compatible sets throughout the world, they're not doing such things as selecting partners and the like. "We have a completely open stance," said Hirai. "With carriers and with hand set makers."

Sony's openness with PSS appears to extend even beyond Android. "There are a variety of OSes," said Hirai. "But we're focusing first on Android. There's also Windows, iOS and so forth, but we don't have the resources to make it compatible with everything from the start."

hyp

if sony's smart they'll extend this to iOS. with the boneheaded moves they've been making, i doubt it's gonna happen anytime soon.

jiggle said:

As Sony hopes to make use of the millions of Android compatible sets throughout the world, they're not doing such things as selecting partners and the like. "We have a completely open stance," said Hirai. "With carriers and with hand set makers."

Sony's openness with PSS appears to extend even beyond Android. "There are a variety of OSes," said Hirai. "But we're focusing first on Android. There's also Windows, iOS and so forth, but we don't have the resources to make it compatible with everything from the start."
woah

Jtrizzy

Are you guys aware of how well the voice recognition works on android? Kinda ot I know but it's pretty amazing. Just wanna let people know, as I've had my droid for a while I never knew how good it was till recently. Best 1 handed text input method available.

jiggle said:

Ohohoho! Now it's getting really interesting! Really does feel like Sony is going 3rd party with this!

I wonder if PC support isn't out of the question?

Nuclear Muffin said:
Ohohoho! Now it's getting really interesting! Really does feel like Sony is going 3rd party with this!

I wonder if PC support isn't out of the question?

That doesn't feel like going 3rd party at all, feels like an extremely smart strategy. Wow hats off to Sony for that, if it's like this across the whole company and not just SNE, then that'll really bode well for Qriocity service.

And yes I'm pretty sure he means PC when he says Windows. :p

Quasar

Square Triangle said:
How will this work? Google took down the Kongregate app, even though it is back up now.

Well Sony does seem to have good relations with Google. Though I imagine they could make deals with carriers, etc to have it preinstalled on handsets. Plus offer it on sonys websites directly.

The same way I imagine the amazon app store will work.

Top Bottom