• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation TV Thread: Vita Who?

Banned
Can anybody confirm if Final Fantasy III for the PSP isn't supported by the Playstation TV? I own the first 10 and want to play all 10 straight but in chronological order. It's not on the list and I don't see why not if IV is supported.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
I can try to run some compatibility tests while I am in the midst of working here. If you have a question about a game and if it works (and If I have it) I can test it out. Don't have FF3 though.

Honome

Anyone tried the remote play on the PSTV? I am interested in impressions and performance. How is it compared to the Vita remote play? How are the graphics and framerate? Does the cable connectio make the remote play flawless?

Torgo

I compared the current list to the original list found copied and pasted here, and found that these games were pulled from the original list:

PSP games:
Star Wars: The Clone Wars: Republic Heroes
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed
Super Monkey Ball Adventure
Syphon Filter: Combat Ops
Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror
Thrillville: Off the Rails
Twisted Metal: Head-On
Valkyria Chronicles 2
WipeOut Pure

PSone Classics:
Metal Gear Solid
Silent Hill
Sim Theme Park
Star Wars: Dark Forces
Suikoden
Turnabout
Um Jammer Lammy

minis:
TNK III
Time Soldiers
Touchdown Fever
Twin Blades: The Reaping Vanguard
Vanguard

There were no changes to the Vita game list that I could see.

I've contacted PR and will let everyone know if I get an answer.

Dragon

Banned
I didn't. I thought it would be able to stream Netflix and play the PS1 games already installed on my Vita. I guess that was foolish. The last hope I have left is that what few Vita games I own that are both worth a shit and compatible at least look decent.

We don't know that it won't though. If the store updates today and that stuff is still fucked, by all means bitch. Like I said, what's in the store and what's allowed to be played on Playstation TV are two different things based on my experience.

And if worst comes to worst, you can return the item if you feel it doesn't fulfill what you wanted it to do.

I'm actually kind of curious of what kind of availability these things will have. I imagine there are a lot more of the bundle versus the standalone.

Torgo

Anyone tried the remote play on the PSTV? I am interested in impressions and performance. How is it compared to the Vita remote play? How are the graphics and framerate? Does the cable connectio make the remote play flawless?

Remote Play (via Livestream)

It works well. The video above portrays kind-of the worst possible scenario too. I'm stuck using the router my ISP supplied here in my new apartment, and I was livestreaming at the same time that I was playing on PS4 via Remote Play.

If you use a Dualshock 4, everything works except for the headset jack on the controller.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I ended up finding a good deal to upgrade our second TV (and move my PS4 there) so I decided to pass PS TV since the PS4 streaming was my only interest. Other stuff I'd rather play on Vita.

We don't know that it won't though. If the store updates today and that stuff is still fucked, by all means bitch. Like I said, what's in the store and what's allowed to be played on Playstation TV are two different things based on my experience.

And if worst comes to worst, you can return the item if you feel it doesn't fulfill what you wanted it to do.
Now we're going in circles. I said it there aren't updates when I get home from work I'll be pretty pissed and possibly return it.

It works well. The video above portrays kind-of the worst possible scenario too. I'm stuck using the router my ISP supplied here in my new apartment, and I was livestreaming at the same time that I was playing on PS4 via Remote Play.

If you use a Dualshock 4, everything works except for the headset jack on the controller.
Thanks for the stream. Kind of depressing though. Your remote play definitely works better than mine. I have to say, they chose good music for it. You could believe the quality fuck-ups are just experimental music. (whoops, was just streaming).

Have you tried any PSP or PS1 games?

Now that remote play is actually going, it still works better than mine.

Honome

Thanks mate, i'm watching it.

I saw that Madden seems to not work so well, do you think the cable connection could make it better? Are you connecting directly with the PS4 or through the router with wi-fi?

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
one thing that's kind of annoying (because I am lazy) is you can't turn on the console with a controller, gotta walk up to the vita and press the physical on switch.

And if it needed any confirmation, Senran Kagura is not compatible, but this was already confirmed by an xseed rep (wanted to try anyways damn it!)

one thing that's kind of annoying (because I am lazy) is you can't turn on the console with a controller, gotta walk up to the vita and press the physical on switch.

And if it needed any confirmation, Senran Kagura is not compatible, but this was already confirmed by an xseed rep (wanted to try anyways damn it!)

I've seen pictures showing a power button on the main menu.

Edit: lol turn on. That sounds like a pain. DS4?

Torgo

Thanks mate, i'm watching it.

I saw that Madden seems to not work so well, do you think the cable connection could make it better? Are you connecting directly with the PS4 or through the router with wi-fi?

I truly believe that was a symptom of this crappy router. I'm buying my own modem this week so that I can use my own router as well.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
I've seen pictures showing a power button on the main menu.

Edit: lol turn on. That sounds like a pain. DS4?

yeah, dual shock 4, though I can't imagine the ps3 controller being different.

Youtube app currently does not work, nor does wake up club :(

Torgo

You can if it's on 'Standby', just not if it's completely powered-off

They really dropped the ball by not coming out of the gates with the PSTV as the ultimate video streaming device. "Apple TV / Roku but with Playstation games" was the obvious trojan horse here but the thing didn't ship with even frigging Netflix? I don't see why they're even bothering to release this, without pushing that angle this is a super-niche device at best.

Anyone watching the stream know if this guy is supposed to be good at the game?

The stream is smooth, much smoother than my remote play has ever been, so it's hard to tell if he is bad at the game or just being affected really strongly by general input lag. It looks good, but if he is supposed to be skilled it doesn't look very functional for online. Plugged into the same router as his PS4, so best case and non-realistic scenario. To be fair, streaming and remote playing.

Anyone watching the stream know if this guy is supposed to be good at the game?

The stream is smooth, much smoother than my remote play has ever been, so it's hard to tell if he is bad at the game or just being affected really strongly by general input lag. It looks good, but if he is supposed to be skilled it doesn't look very functional for online. Plugged into the same router as his PS4, so best case and non-realistic scenario.

What stream?

What stream?

PSTV remote play plugged into the same router as PS4.
Edit: Wow, I'm a moron. It's not actually a current stream. I'm going to quit posting for a while.

Has Sony said anything about possibly adding at least multiple accounts for the PSTV? Both my wife and I have Vitas and we were both wanting to use our respective memory cards with it and not have to make an account each time.

flyover

I can live with this thing being a little gimped on day one, since it's probably only going to be a P4G machine for me for the next month or so.

But I'm just curious as to whether this is a kind of soft launch -- where they're eventually planning on promoting it more after making updates and improving the product -- or if they released it with expectations that it would be DOA and are pretty much ready to abandon it already.

It really is a neat idea for a product, if you frame it the right way: a $99 PS3/2/1 (with PS Now), second-TV PS4 extender, and media player. That makes it sound like a hell of a deal.

If nothing else, Sony was right to take the Vita out of the name. I mean, many of us early adopters are using it as a big-screen Vita player, and it's good that the machine has a "native" library of games, but that's probably not the way to pitch it to the mass market. In fact, I think they really should do more to differentiate this from a Vita. Rework the interface and customize its apps (Netflix, etc.) for this specific device.

Torgo

Has Sony said anything about possibly adding at least multiple accounts for the PSTV? Both my wife and I have Vitas and we were both wanting to use our respective memory cards with it and not have to make an account each time.

Probably never happen unfortunately, since it runs the same firmware as the Vita

sam777

I sold my vita a few months ago however I kept my memory card in anticipation of the PS TV. So when I insert my memory card will I be able to continue as normal in terms of my account and games? etc.

CREMSteve

Zero interest in playing Vita games on this thing. I just want it as a means to get my PS4 playing on other TVs in the house. For this, it works brilliantly.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Would I be able to just pop out my memory card from my Vita and swap it back and forth without issues?
I sold my vita a few months ago however I kept my memory card in anticipation of the PS TV. So when I insert my memory card will I be able to continue as normal in terms of my account and games? etc.

I know several have answered this, but just to clarify, when you put your memory card into the Playstation TV, all of your game folders/icon orders will be messed up and wallpapers/themes/background music will be reset back to the defaults. Some games, like Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus, will even disappear from the menu screen until you pop the cart back in.

-BUT-

When you put the memory card back into your Vita, all of the icons/folders and other settings will remain as you left them. So basically even though it's the same account and memory card being used, each device treats settings and game icons/folders separately.

Zero interest in playing Vita games on this thing. I just want it as a means to get my PS4 playing on other TVs in the house. For this, it works brilliantly.

Brilliantly?

What kind of setup are you using?

I just managed to get things working acceptably over the weekend with my Vita and that required two routers with one of them acting as extender. I'm hoping to have a brilliant experience when I wire the Vita TV to one of the routers. I still hear rumblings of some input lag.

It's my main reason for buying the PSTV as well.

sam777

I know several have answered this, but just to clarify, when you put your memory card into the Playstation TV, all of your game folders/icon orders will be messed up and wallpapers/themes/background music will be reset back to the defaults. Some games, like Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus, will even disappear from the menu screen until you pop the cart back in.

-BUT-

When you put the memory card back into your Vita, all of the icons/folders and other settings will remain as you left them. So basically even though it's the same account and memory card being used, each device treats settings and game icons/folders separately.

Thanks, mainly interested in it for PS4 streaming and secondly to play Persona 4 Golden not to interested in the other Vita games atm.

Jawmuncher

Holy Shit forgot how bad the menu music.
Also so glad just plugging in my memory card and playing works for this.
Though it doesn't carry over my folders or anything sadly.

CREMSteve

Brilliantly?

What kind of setup are you using.

I just managed to get things working acceptably over the weekend with my Vita and that required two routers with one of them acting as extender. I'm hoping to have a brilliant experience when I wire the Vita TV to one of the routers. I still hear rumblings of some input lag.

It's my main reason for buying the PSTV as well.

I use remote play on my Vita daily for Destiny, it works very well. I also use it at home as well as from hotels throughout the week, as I travel a lot for business.

I had trouble initially, but once I opened the necessary ports on my router and assigned the PS4 a Static IP, everything works like a charm. Also a good idea to disable direct connect on remote play if you aren't going to be in the same room as the PS4.

I'm assuming PSTV will be the same experience, only on my TVs instead of my Vita.

*disclaimer - Hotel experience will vary based on wifi strength. Some have been great, some are downright awful.

I can live with this thing being a little gimped on day one, since it's probably only going to be a P4G machine for me for the next month or so.

But I'm just curious as to whether this is a kind of soft launch -- where they're eventually planning on promoting it more after making updates and improving the product -- or if they released it with expectations that it would be DOA and are pretty much ready to abandon it already.

It really is a neat idea for a product, if you frame it the right way: a $99 PS3/2/1 (with PS Now), second-TV PS4 extender, and media player. That makes it sound like a hell of a deal.

If nothing else, Sony was right to take the Vita out of the name. I mean, many of us early adopters are using it as a big-screen Vita player, and it's good that the machine has a "native" library of games, but that's probably not the way to pitch it to the mass market. In fact, I think they really should do more to differentiate this from a Vita. Rework the interface and customize its apps (Netflix, etc.) for this specific device.

I'm hoping the stock is at least a bit decent. I have a feeling this will have a really small shipment though.

I preordered one at EB in Toronto on Saturday just because I had a bad feeling that the PSTV might disappear fast. the website already shows OoS.

I use remote play daily for Destiny, it works very well. I use it at home as well as from hotels throughout the week, as I travel a lot for business.

I had trouble initially, but once I opened the necessary ports on my router and assigned the PS4 a Static IP, everything works like a charm. Also a good idea to disable direct connect on remote play if you aren't going to be in the same room as the PS4.

I'm assuming PSTV will be the same experience, only on my TVs instead of my Vita.

Yeah, over the weekend I just put my PS4 in DMZ with a Static IP and with the two router setup I have and had a decent experience. There was still notable input lag in a game of MLB: The Show 14 that requires quite a bit of timing.

I'm going to experiment with a lot of different configs to get the best experience. It's something I really want to work.

EDIT: EB just called to say I can pick mine up.

I think Playstation TV is getting low shipments because Sony got burned with Vita. If it turns out successful, they will probably go full throttle with it. I think it is a great idea because it is like the 2DS: A low cost method to get into Vita games.

Craiji

Can someone please test the 2 way party chat over remote play?

I swore I got it to work, but I tested it last night and no combination would allow me to use Vita party chat while using remote play.

If you have party chat up and in a party, you will be disconnected when initiating remote play. This makes sense if direct connecting to a PS4, but the same disconnection occurs over LAN/WLAN and WAN.

If you start remote play, then press the Playstation button, the remote play session will interrupt.

Anyone get this to work? The 3.5mm jack on the DS4 not working is bothersome enough, but no native party chat or one way ps4 chat blows.

I think Playstation TV is getting low shipments because Sony got burned with Vita. If it turns out successful, they will probably go full throttle with it. I think it is a great idea because it is like the 2DS: A low cost method to get into Vita games.

They really missed the opportunity to market this as a full fledged content streaming device that also has a large library of games.

CREMSteve

I swore I got it to work, but I tested it last night and no combination would allow me to use Vita party chat while using remote play.

If you have party chat up and in a party, you will be disconnected when initiating remote play. This makes sense if direct connecting to a PS4, but the same disconnection occurs over LAN/WLAN and WAN.

If you start remote play, then press the Playstation button, the remote play session will interrupt.

Anyone get this to work? The 3.5mm jack on the DS4 not working is bothersome enough, but no native party chat or one way ps4 chat blows.

The reason is remote play turns off the wifi for a brief moment when you first start it up. Watch the wifi indicator int he top left corner, as soon as it reappears, push the PS button and join the party.

You can then head back to the remote play screen and it will connect without d/c you. Works great.

Just catching up with the tread...

Too bad about Netflix. I have a feeling the app is being retooled for native 1080i on the PSTV. That said, the update needs to go live ASAP. If the word starts trickling out to the average consumer that this streaming box isn't compatible with the most popular video streaming service, they might as well delist it.

bigkrev

How does this work for account activations?

I currently have hooked up to PSN

My PS3
My PS4
My Vita
My Brothers Vita

all on the same account. Will adding this screw anything up?

Top Bottom