• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation TV Thread: Vita Who?

bomblord1

Banned
Because it's actually at a reasonable price now. Sony dug themselves a hole launching this thing for $100+.

It absolutely floors me that people think $100 is too much for this thing. That's half the price of the Vita and directly comparable to any of the "micro consoles" it's competing with.

Takao

Banned
It absolutely floors me that people think $100 is too much for this thing. That's half the price of the Vita and directly comparable to any of the "micro consoles" it's competing with.

The issue is one of support. If this thing had a more robust catalog of PSP, PSone and Vita games, alongside major app support it would be a great buy at MSRP.

awp69

Yeah. I think part of the issue is that people probably compare them directly with Roku, Amazon Fire Stick and Google Chromecast. I imagine a lot of people don't realize that it can play a ton of games (no, not all Vita games, but a heafty amount in addition to PSP and PS1 games). It really is a gaming console first where all the others are video streaming devices first.

Maybe Sony should have used a different name for it. Vita TV? I don't know. But it's overselling it as a streaming device and underselling it as a mini console.

Yeah. I think part of the issue is that people probably compare them directly with Roku, Amazon Fire Stick and Google Chromecast. I imagine a lot of people don't realize that it can play a ton of games (no, not all Vita games, but a heafty amount in addition to PSP and PS1 games). It really is a gaming console first where all the others are video streaming devices first.

Maybe Sony should have used a different name for it. Vita TV? I don't know. But it's overselling it as a streaming device and underselling it as a mini console.

The big issue is that it lacks basic functionality found in other devices (netflix, etc). How Sony managed to F-up getting Netflix when it's already on the regular vita is baffling.

It floors you that people weren't willing to spend $100-$130 for a device that only plays a portion of the vita library, had no useful streaming capabilities until the hulu update, and is tied to proprietary memory?

eastx

It floors you that people weren't willing to spend $100-$130 for a device that only plays a portion of the vita library, had no useful streaming capabilities until the hulu update, and is tied to proprietary memory?

It only costs $80-100. And it's very much worth the price for playing Vita and PSOne games, despite compatibility issues. The lack of Netflix is shameful though.

autoduelist

Really hoping the PSTV sales jump will inspire Sony to help devs adapt more games to work with it (Gravity Falls and Tearaway are my top two desires).

Of course, this could be read the other way that Sony is just looking to completely offload their stock and stop production of them.

Those aren't the games I'd hope for, and are right up there with Uncharted GA for least likely to be supported due to their reliance on extremely vita-specific control mechanisms. All are worth getting a vita for, though... i just don't think any would play well on PSTV (well, uncharted might but it would take recoding major sections of the game, so no).

It was worth it to me for $100 just for remote play and ps1/psp/vita on tv functionality. i bought all the cables and such for my psp and it was always a terrible solution... this actually works (and lets me keep my vita out of the equation for bonus points).

The big issue is that it lacks basic functionality found in other devices (netflix, etc). How Sony managed to F-up getting Netflix when it's already on the regular vita is baffling.

While I agree they should have it, i just don't see why people really care that much. My tv has netflix. my bluray player has netflix. my ps4 and ps3 have netflix. my wifes apple tv thing has netflix. i suppose in the rare case of me travelling, it might be nice to hook up the pstv to a hotel tv (if allowed) for netflix, but i can do that with the appletv. but at home? i doubt most would ever need netflix on it.

it seems more like a reason to hate on the device than it does an actual solid negative. sort of like Near on vita... nobody used it! not even the vita hardcore.

Again, it should have it 'just because'. But how many people really need it?

awp69

It only costs $80-100. And it's very much worth the price for playing Vita games, despite compatibility issues. The lack of Netflix is shameful though.

I agree. It plays FAR more more games than any other media streaming device even with the titles that don't work.

And, again, that is the big problem. The perception is that people look at the streaming apps and see that something like Chromcast or Apple TV has way more to offer. Sony did screw up with not having things like Netflix and Amazon Instant.

However, as a gamer who picked this up knowing I already have all of this streaming capabilities on my other consoles, $40-$50 was a steal to play probably 75% of Vita and PSP games and PS1 classics that are no longer compatible with my PS4 (and had sold my PS3).

Honestly, if they were to make every Vita game compatible, it would have probably been worth more than its original selling price.

Are there a handful of games that I wish worked with it? Sure. But the catalog of games I can play along with PS4 streaming made the price cut an absolute bargain and I am more than happy with it.

Expensive memory is the only thing I feel I have a right to complain about.

It only costs $80-100. And it's very much worth the price for playing Vita and PSOne games, despite compatibility issues. The lack of Netflix is shameful though.

...I said Sony dug themselves a hole launching the device for $100+. Sales/interest started to peak when Amazon did that $50 flash sale because the thing should have been around that price to begin with.

Man my PlayStation TV just arrived and I can tell already it is going to be a game changer. For now it is delegated to PS+ indie duty at my girlfriends place because I have a Vita at home and a dedicated gaming station that will never be disturbed.

But we're moving out soon. And when we do... oh man it's gonna be good. Remote play my PS4 onto another telly... oh man. I'm psyched just thinking about it.

P.S. - it's so small!

bomblord1

Banned

But it plays a large chunk of it's library as well as, PS1, PSP, and PS3 games.

bomblord1

Banned
You're referring to games that are cross play with PS3, right? Otherwise I'm missing out!

EDIT:, Guess you could be referring to PS Now.

Your edit is correct.

Man my PlayStation TV just arrived and I can tell already it is going to be a game changer. For now it is delegated to PS+ indie duty at my girlfriends place because I have a Vita at home and a dedicated gaming station that will never be disturbed.

But we're moving out soon. And when we do... oh man it's gonna be good. Remote play my PS4 onto another telly... oh man. I'm psyched just thinking about it.

P.S. - it's so small!

It's incredibly small lol I think that's everyones first reaction. It's also so light it needs a paperweight to hold it down lol.

animax

Pretty sure I've just f'ed up pretty bad

I put in my Vita memory card to test out the Playstation TV and when I put it back into my Vita it's saying I need to format it. Any way for me to get it working in the Vita again without losing everything? :(

Are the vita and psTV on different firmwares? I know that the memory card remembers the last/highest firmware it was on so if you put it back into a lower firmware vita then you probably do have to reformat.

If they are on same firmware then you shouldn't have to reformat. Have you tried booting the vita into recovery mode and re-building the database?

But it plays a large chunk of it's library as well as, PS1, PSP, and PS3 games.
The problem is "chunk". A chunk of PSP games, a chunk of PS1 games, a chunk of Vita games. You would think it would at least be able to run all PSP and Vita games. And Vita games that it *should* work with, it doesn't.

Does PSNow work on it? I seem to remember there being some limitation when PSNow went final...

bomblord1

Banned
The problem is "chunk". A chunk of PSP games, a chunk of PS1 games, a chunk of Vita games. You would think it would at least be able to run all PSP and Vita games. And does PSNow work on it? I seem to remember there being some limitation...maybe that was when PSNow was still beta though.

It's limited to 720p? I don't know what the limitation is you're referring to.

awp69

Anyone know why Star Wars Battlefront II is listed as compatible but on my download list, it won't even let me download it?

Sales up 1272% on Amazon since price cut

http://www.videogamer.com/news/playstation_tv_sales_up_1_272_on_amazon_since_price_cut.html

Worth making a thread about this? Could help further bring attention to the fact the price is reduced

If it was 100 units before, it's only 1,272 now.

I mean, percentages are nice. But without the actual sales to begin with that is used to generate the percentage, the percentage itself is meaningless.

They cut the price in half, meaning that they're almost certainly losing money per unit, which signifies a liquidation event.

While this might seem like good news (OMG 1,300% LIFT!) it actually implies a lot of bad news.

If it was 100 units before, it's only 1,272 now.

I mean, percentages are nice. But without the actual sales to begin with that is used to generate the percentage, the percentage itself is meaningless.

They cut the price in half, meaning that they're almost certainly losing money per unit, which signifies a liquidation event.

While this might seem like good news (OMG 1,300% LIFT!) it actually implies a lot of bad news.

Well it went from #159 to #11 in the top sellers, which may have slightly more weight to you than a percentage. But still no figure, I suppose.

Well it went from #159 to #11 in the top sellers, which may have slightly more weight to you than a percentage. But still no figure, I suppose.

Don't get me wrong, it would be great if they found the magic price point for it that consumers were willing to pay, and were able to produce units at that price profitably.

Posted a couple of pictures of mine on social media since it arrived this morning and people keep asking me what it is. Thing is just so under-marketed clearly. It's like it didn't sell well for the first wave so Sony just didn't bother trying to market again.

Nobody knows what it is!

awp69

Anyone know why Star Wars Battlefront II is listed as compatible but on my download list, it won't even let me download it?

Actually let me clarify that. Can I get it on my PSTV without a PS3? Don't understand why you cannot download it directly from the store. It's the PSP version and I bought it on PSN during the recent flash sale.

Found some stuff Googling it and even on Vita it says to transfer via PS3. That sucks if you don't own a PS3.

jwk94

Posted a couple of pictures of mine on social media since it arrived this morning and people keep asking me what it is. Thing is just so under-marketed clearly. It's like it didn't sell well for the first wave so Sony just didn't bother trying to market again.

Nobody knows what it is!
Even without the Vita name, it carries the Vita curse.

NeOak

Sales up 1272% on Amazon since price cut

http://www.videogamer.com/news/playstation_tv_sales_up_1_272_on_amazon_since_price_cut.html

Worth making a thread about this? Could help further bring attention to the fact the price is reduced

Amazon UK.

Sales were usually around 3k to 5k before, according to past NPD leaks.

Which does not apply in this case because the sales jump is for the UK, not the US.

Did you even read the news?

Shauni

Every time I see the topic title I laugh
.... because the Vita is way better than PSTV

Can this "Vita" play Persona 4 Golden on my TV? Can this "Vita" do other stuff on my TV? No? Then I don't want to know about this "Vita."

I would have probably bought an actual Vita over a PS TV if it were cheaper

Ramma2

Question about remote play with my Vita TV and Vita.

I usually remote play with my Vita in the same room as the PS4, and direct connect setting enabled gives the best performance.

My Vita TV is in the basement and remote plays via network cable, and works best when direct connect is disabled on the PS4.

I can't change the setting while connected to the PS4 with either device; I have sign in on the TV, make the change, then connect with whatever device I'm using to remote play.

Any suggestions on how to make this work better?

autoduelist

The problem is "chunk". A chunk of PSP games, a chunk of PS1 games, a chunk of Vita games. You would think it would at least be able to run all PSP and Vita games. And Vita games that it *should* work with, it doesn't.

Does PSNow work on it? I seem to remember there being some limitation when PSNow went final...

There's no way it could run all Vita games -- it would just be problematic with some built around the more obscure Vita features (gravity rush, uncharted GA, etc).

It should run the same ps1/psp games vita does, i give you that.

awp69

Is anyone using both PSTV and PS4 on wifi and getting a good connection?

I have and it was unreliable. Sometimes pretty good. Sometimes lots of disconnects and scrambled screens.

I ended up buying some Powerline adapters (because actual wiring would have been a nightmare) and it's been perfect 99% of the time.

But I have heard people mentioning using remote play via WiFi even over the Internet at places like Starbucks and getting good connections so it must be a matter of luck.

PSTV remote play has been so good since the latest firmware update that I'm seriously considering getting a second one for another room in the house. What is the max number of Vitas/PSTVs that can be activated?

I have and it was unreliable. Sometimes pretty good. Sometimes lots of disconnects and scrambled screens.

I ended up buying some Powerline adapters (because actual wiring would have been a nightmare) and it's been perfect 99% of the time.

But I have heard people mentioning using remote play via WiFi even over the Internet at places like Starbucks and getting good connections so it must be a matter of luck.

What kind did you buy?

sensui-tomo

PSTV remote play has been so good since the latest firmware update that I'm seriously considering getting a second one for another room in the house. What is the max number of Vitas/PSTVs that can be activated?

Apparently you can have up to 3 vita/ps tvs per account according to some gaffers, i was under the impression it was 2 max but eh if gaf says i'm wrong i'll take it.

Apparently you can have up to 3 vita/ps tvs per account according to some gaffers, i was under the impression it was 2 max but eh if gaf says i'm wrong i'll take it.

Kind of silly they even have a maximum. I was planning to buy a PSTV for every room in the house with a TV when I move out but I guess not.

awp69

What kind did you buy?

I have the Netgear 500. Right now they are $65.99 a pair at Best Buy but I got lucky and scored them for $35 a pair price matching a sale at Newegg a while ago.

Unfortunately, you need three (from two sets) for it to work. One for your router, one for your PS4 and one for the PSTV. My son used the forth one for his laptop.

So, $120-$130 is pretty pricey considering it costs more than the PSTV itself. If you can find a sale on them, $60-$70 is a little easier to swallow. And there was no way I could have done it wired without some serious work in walls and floors.

I got my teenager to fork over half the cost (hehe).

Has there been any word of making Golden Abyss compatible? I'd like to buy a PSTV for all the Vita games I got from PS+, but that one being my most wanted, without it I'm holding out on a price drop.

sensui-tomo

Has there been any word of making Golden Abyss compatible? I'd like to buy a PSTV for all the Vita games I got from PS+, but that one being my most wanted, without it I'm holding out on a price drop.

tumblr_mfjyx2bTVX1s1pf5po1_500.png

Top Bottom