• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation TV Thread: Vita Who?

autoduelist

That blows. No PS3 to transfer from.

Why do other PSP titles work fine via direct download and others don't?

It would be nice to have yet another list with PSP titles only usable via PS3 transfer.

Nobody knows, only guesses. Two most likely possibilities:
1) Some older non-specific contracts have some legal licensing mumbo-jumbo that makes this the only way we can play the games. For example, maybe they specifically disallow 'downloading' to non-psp/ps3 devices, but don't specifically disallow playing on other devices. So Sony is sidestepping and letting us play it through transferring.

2) Oversight and it either should be on store, or shouldn't be transferable.

i tend towards optimism so go with the 1st... there's a legal loophole that lets us get the games we otherwise wouldn't.

You can probably cross reference from this list:
https://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/281768-complete-list-of-pspminispsone-games-playable-on-vita/

It lets you know what you can transfer to vita, but if the pstv supports the game too, it probably transfers.

awp69

Nobody knows, only guesses. Two most likely possibilities:
1) Some older non-specific contracts have some legal licensing mumbo-jumbo that makes this the only way we can play the games. For example, maybe they specifically disallow 'downloading' to non-psp/ps3 devices, but don't specifically disallow playing on other devices. So Sony is sidestepping and letting us play it through transferring.

2) Oversight and it either should be on store, or shouldn't be transferable.

i tend towards optimism so go with the 1st... there's a legal loophole that lets us get the games we otherwise wouldn't.

You can probably cross reference from this list:
https://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/281768-complete-list-of-pspminispsone-games-playable-on-vita/

It lets you know what you can transfer to vita, but if the pstv supports the game too, it probably transfers.

Thanks. I will definitely have to reference that transfer list in the future. Thankfully, I only spent something like $.91 on Battlefront II during the flash sale. But I would have be pissed if I had spent $10-$15.

Shauni

Is there any way to make Netflix work on PSTV yet?

I could not believe it wouldn't run netflix when I bought it

I've often felt like every thread about PS TV needs to have a "No Netflix" tagline, because I think pretty much everyone assumes that it does that.

Does anyone in the UK follow 10 ways to save money as a student on Facebook? If you do, you should send them a message about the price drop, all the features etc.

I'd do it myself but I already messaged them about Spotify.

verdures

It breaks my heart that Hot Shots Golf isn't available on PSTV. I know that future compatibility fixes are unlikely, but I yearn, I yearn...

It's limited to 720p? I don't know what the limitation is you're referring to.
I meant that it doesnt play all psp or ps1 games, just a large chunk of them (typo when I said vita games, though it should still play a lot more of them than it does). The PSTV really should be an all-in-one Sony game device, but the game limitations just kill that. There is no reason whatsoever that a single PSP game shouldnt work unless somehow it actually required the disc in the drive.

LAM09

Has there been any word of making Golden Abyss compatible? I'd like to buy a PSTV for all the Vita games I got from PS+, but that one being my most wanted, without it I'm holding out on a price drop.

No word at all. Quite a few people are holding out for some news, but it doesn't look like we'll be getting any sort of info.

I'm not sure how pivotal the certain PS Vita features are to how the game works, but couldn't most things be done on a DS4 (touch elements, etc)?

awp69

I'm not sure how pivotal the certain PS Vita features are to how the game works, but couldn't most things be done on a DS4 (touch elements, etc)?

I always wondered whether they could make games that use the touchscreen compatible with a note that it requires a DS4. May require a little learning curve to use the pad as a touchscreen but I think it would be doable.

LAM09

I always wondered whether they could make games that use the touchscreen compatible with a note that it requires a DS4. May require a little learning curve to use the pad as a touchscreen but I think it would be doable.

That's exactly my train of thought. It might take a bit of time to make games compatible, but it would increase sales in the long run.

touch screen games work with a dualshock3 as well by way of a virtual finger for both back and front touch. kind of like the wii-mote pointer. it works pretty well for things like menus (eg. the walking dead). not sure how effective it would be to use it during gameplay.

as far as uncharted is concerned, there's two types of gameplay sections that make use of touch primarily...QTEs and sections where you inspect artifacts. the artifact section in particular is something that really wouldn't work well at all on a pstv, even with virtual touch because it requires back and front touch use at the same time. there's also a small section that would have to be patched where you have to point your vita into sunlight

having said all that, i think the current white-list way of doing things is terrible. they should allow all the games to run but with a warning ahead of time. it's not like those games could be bought on the pstv store anyway

autoduelist

I meant that it doesnt play all psp or ps1 games, just a large chunk of them (typo when I said vita games, though it should still play a lot more of them than it does). The PSTV really should be an all-in-one Sony game device, but the game limitations just kill that. There is no reason whatsoever that a single PSP game shouldnt work unless somehow it actually required the disc in the drive.

Licensing will prevent that, always and forever. No publisher likes to give away 'forever licenses' (any future device, for all time, etc) and even if they wanted to, they might not be able to based on their own licenses (soundtrack, etc) which have their own limitations. Add in company closures, mergers, etc, and... you end up with things falling through the cracks.

NeOak

Is anyone using both PSTV and PS4 on wifi and getting a good connection?

I have and it was unreliable. Sometimes pretty good. Sometimes lots of disconnects and scrambled screens.

I ended up buying some Powerline adapters (because actual wiring would have been a nightmare) and it's been perfect 99% of the time.

But I have heard people mentioning using remote play via WiFi even over the Internet at places like Starbucks and getting good connections so it must be a matter of luck.

They don't enable the badly worded "Use Wi-Fi in Low Power Mode" or whatever option is under Power Saving settings.

That means that it will keep the Wi-Fi chip in a low power state ALL the time.

SkyOdin

Is Freedom Wars worth getting into? I've played around with it for a bit but might drop it to play something else.

Freedom Wars... is a game with good ideas that don't get properly developed. It feels rushed and incomplete, and that feeling gets stronger the further you go. It has a lot of elements that just don't work right. It has a lot of things that have promise but don't pan out like they should. A lot of the basic gameplay is good, but the poor enemy/level design and ally AI drag the experience down. It has a few really fun and well designed fights, and quite a few poorly designed ones that drag on forever only to steal victory from you right as time runs out.

Most of all, it is severely lacking in polish and content, particularly compared to other games in the same genre. It is really hard to recommend it over other games like God Eater or Monster Hunter. I haven't played Soul Sacrifice or Toukiden, so I can't compare it to those.

Help an ignorant person out:

Persona 4 is my favorite game of all time, but I've only played the original PS2 release back from 2008. I'd like to play The Golden. But, I don't have a Vita currently. I'm also not the biggest fan of playing games on handhelds (tiny screens!) and P4 I feel is just a made-for-TV experience. If I want to play P4G, would I just need Playstation TV, a Vita memory card, and a copy of P4G?

sensui-tomo

Persona 4 is my favorite game of all time, but I've only played the original PS2 release back from 2008. I'd like to play The Golden. But, I don't have a Vita currently. I'm also not the biggest fan of playing games on handhelds (tiny screens!) and P4 I feel is just a made-for-TV experience. If I want to play P4G, would I just need Playstation TV, a Vita memory card, and a copy of P4G?

does your tv have an HDMI slot, if so you'd be ready to go, if you have a controller for the ps3/4 you'd be all set. and i cant remember if you'd actually need a memory card since i think p4 golden saved to the cartridge .

Shizuka

If you get the Lego bundle, you'll only need P4G. If you get vanilla PSTV, you'll need a memory card (I believe the system comes with the same 1GB that the Vita-2000 has, don't quote me on that), the game and a controller.

Shauni

If you get the Lego bundle, you'll only need P4G. If you get vanilla PSTV, you'll need a memory card (I believe the system comes with the same 1GB that the Vita-2000 has, don't quote me on that), the game and a controller.

Yeah, it comes with 1GB

dorikyasu

Does PSTV/Vita need double the memory card space to download & install game like PS3?
I'm running on 8GB memory card that came with the bundle and trying to see if I can run Killzone:Mercenary next month without deleting all other games I have.

Does PSTV/Vita need double the memory card space to download & install game like PS3?
I'm running on 8GB memory card that came with the bundle and trying to see if I can run Killzone:Mercenary next month without deleting all other games I have.
Nah, that was just a silly PS3 restriction. What you see is what you need.

Winkle

Can anyone steer me in the right direction as where to get an official PSTV stand? I've tried the usual suspects but no one seems to stock them... I'm in the UK.

eastx

Two upcoming Vita games that I can confirm are NOT PS TV compatible:

Project Root (darn it!)
Krinkle Crusher

Project Root is a shoot 'em up and will be coming to Xbox One and PS4, so it really should be compatible. The dev tells me they're working on compatibility, so it might get patched shortly after launch.

Shizuka

Killzone Mercenary will be one of the PS+ games for April and aside from being the best FPS on the Vita, it's also PSTV compatible.

eastx

HORI is better than Sony, not to mention it's Sony-approved. It's not some bootleg product, they even manufacture accessories for Sony to sell as their own.

Yeah, pretty silly for someone to turn up his nose at a Hori product. Especially when the only version of the product that exists is made by Hori.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Okay, GAF. This Junior Member has his very first question for y'all. If any of you are knowledgeable about Dissidia's compatibility with the PSTV, please read on.

So, I kinda want to get this game. It isn't up on the PSN through the PSTV, but I think I can purchase it on Sony's site and then it'll show up as a potential download on the system... right?

Second, bigger question. This'll heavily influence whether I drop the $20. My best friend has a PSP. In a perfect world we would use two DS4 controllers and go at it on my PSTV, but obviously that isn't possible. In an imperfect-but-still-passable world we would at least be able to play online against eachother but I'm pretty sure that whole xlink kai thing isn't an option on PSTV? I'm rambling, sorry. My question here is, if he brought over his PSP, can we at least play together via ad-hoc? Will his PSP's copy, should I convince him to buy the game, detect my PSTV's copy as a potential opponent?

Thanks in advance.

There is a setting on this (off by default) that allows you to simulate both the touch screen and the back touchpad. You press L3 to initiate touchscreen then move R3 which acts as your finger, and vice versa for backpad. It's not as easy as the real deal but it's not impossible and it is usable, so I'm not quite sure why games like Uncharted aren't supported. It seems to be like they could be done using this method without major issue.

Anyone know anything about this?

suikodan

Okay, GAF. This Junior Member has his very first question for y'all. If any of you are knowledgeable about Dissidia's compatibility with the PSTV, please read on.

So, I kinda want to get this game. It isn't up on the PSN through the PSTV, but I think I can purchase it on Sony's site and then it'll show up as a potential download on the system... right?

Second, bigger question. This'll heavily influence whether I drop the $20. My best friend has a PSP. In a perfect world we would use two DS4 controllers and go at it on my PSTV, but obviously that isn't possible. In an imperfect-but-still-passable world we would at least be able to play online against eachother but I'm pretty sure that whole xlink kai thing isn't an option on PSTV? I'm rambling, sorry. My question here is, if he brought over his PSP, can we at least play together via ad-hoc? Will his PSP's copy, should I convince him to buy the game, detect my PSTV's copy as a potential opponent?

Thanks in advance.

It "should"...

PSTV supports ad-hoc gameplay, at least with Vita. I had Warriors Orochi 3 on Vita and on PSTV and tried pairing each other and it worked. I don't see why it wouldn't work.

I think I have Dissidia installed on my PSTV, I could try it soon enough with a PSP

Anyone know anything about this?

For compatible games, you can "simulate" the touch pad with L3. While in-game, I think you hold the PS Button and the option is at the bottom.

Thanks in advance.

Dissidia needs to be transferred with a PS3 I think but adhoc will 100% work i've done it with my lady plenty of times with metal slug and other psp games.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Cool, thanks! I'm a bit lost on the need for a PS3, however. Is having access to a PS3 a mandatory step in the process of getting it to show up as an available download on PSTV? My Triple died a few months ago, but my friends have theirs still so I could always arrange for one of them to bring it over.

NeOak

Cool, thanks! I'm a bit lost on the need for a PS3, however. Is having access to a PS3 a mandatory step in the process of getting it to show up as an available download on PSTV? My Triple died a few months ago, but my friends have theirs still so I could always arrange for one of them to bring it over.

Some games have to be forced to be downloaded using the PS3.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
You seem confused, no offense.
You'll need to download dissidia to the ps3 and then transfer it via wifi or the cable to the vita or pstv.

None taken. I appreciate the clarification. I think I did understand things, actually, but now I'm positive I do. :)

Trickytoon

Neo Member
Following the UK price drop I pottered down to Argos at lunch time and picked up a unit. Imagine my surpise when I turned it on and it was locked to another user's account...awesome.

Anyone from the UK have any experience of this, with particular reference to the Sale of Goods Act etc? Keen to see what my options are, I'm properly annoyed about it!

ascully

Following the UK price drop I pottered down to Argos at lunch time and picked up a unit. Imagine my surpise when I turned it on and it was locked to another user's account...awesome.

Anyone from the UK have any experience of this, with particular reference to the Sale of Goods Act etc? Keen to see what my options are, I'm properly annoyed about it!

Cant you just reset it to factory and start fresh with it?

Top Bottom