• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation vita, like the Ps2 ?

Binabik15

Within about 12 months after launch, the PS2 got:

Ridge Racer V
Tekken Tag Tournament
SSX
Shadow of Destiny
Ring of Red
Onimusha: Warlords
Zone of the Enders
Red Faction
Twisted Metal: Black
Gran Turismo 3 A-Spec
Extermination
Klonoa 2: Lunatea's Veil
ICO
Silent Hill 2
Devil May Cry
Grand Theft Auto III
SSX Tricky
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy
Final Fantasy X

I'd love the Vita to feature a similar library in such a short amount of time, but I fear it won't be anywhere near that. But that being said, I don't expect any 1st year lineup to rival that of the PS2 ever again.

If things go well Vita WILL have the bolded games (or a similiar game it TTT's case) in its first year ;) Even their sequels for some.

On a more serious note, I can't imagine not liking anything out of the Vita line-up, outside of RPGs (which it has in Japan) there should be something for everyone. Platformers, shooters, puzzlers, racers, fighters, futuristic racers, sports games, everything is there.

PS: Good look getting games with sprites made for a 2000x1500 screen.

Yeah. Okay.

that came out wrong. i meant to say if you couldn't or don't want to afford it at its current price then that is understandable because it is pricey. but the way its typed out there makes it sound like im saying you can't afford it

as for games out now or within the next 6 months:

uncharted, hot shots golf, wipeout, blazblue, UMVC3, mortal kombat, gravity rush, escape plan, tales from space: mutant blobs, rayman, resistance, mlb the show, superstar dust delta, unit 13. there are also other games that HOPEFULLY the US sees release on like persona 4 and ragnarok odyssey.

and none of this is counting the downloadable PSP library. it is missing some key games like KH and crisis core but there are a lot of great games in the library and best of all they really look great on this screen. tactics ogre, prinny 1/2, valkyria chronicles 2, monster hunter, the list goes on and on.

as i said, if you can't find anything appealing about any of those games or the system then i'm not sure you like videogames at all

Kokonoe

Banned
The negativity in this thread is something else.

On topic:

Is the Vita the next PS2? There's no way of knowing that right now, but that's not really a proper thing to compare to be quite honest. As far as games are concerned, I don't see anything on the Vita i'm personally interested in, although the same thing occurred for me when the 3DS came out.

I'll wait till more games come out, it took me quite a while to pick up a 3DS. (Zelda 3DS Bundle)

Kamille

I don't really see the comparison honestly. It needs a much bigger and more well-rounded library, and stronger developer support before we can make that comparison. It's really too early to tell either way. As another poster said, it has more in common with the early PS3 right now. Strong hardware at a (relatively) premium price with a few standout exclusive titles.

I'd say as far as handhelds go, DS (and potentially 3DS in time) are better comparisons. Capable hardware that's not quite as strong as the competition, but makes up for it with its mass market pricing, strong library of titles, and developer support. As well as sales that far exceed the competition.

In terms of mainstream appeal, I'd say it's the exact opposite. The PS2 got many high profile games in the year after its launch (FFX, Devil May Cry, Tekken, Silent Hill 2 and many more), there's nothing great for the Vita on the horizon.
The hardware is gorgeous, but if there are no great games that won't matter, see sales in Japan.

I don't really see the comparison to the PS2, I think that's kind of a stretch, but I have to say it's been a while since I've as much talking out the ass than I have in this thread. Vita has no games, it's a dust collector, isn't selling, it's PS2 level graphics.

as for games out now or within the next 6 months:

uncharted, hot shots golf, wipeout, blazblue, UMVC3, mortal kombat, gravity rush, escape plan, tales from space: mutant blobs, rayman, resistance, mlb the show, superstar dust delta, unit 13. there are also other games that HOPEFULLY the US sees release on like persona 4 and ragnarok odyssey.
Yes, it's true. I do not have any interest in any of these games OR I have versions of them on other systems. From this list, there is ONE title I will pickup once I get my Vita (Stardust). Gravity Rush is a maybe but I did not come away impressed from the demo (although I could feel that it was probably not a well put-together demo, which is why I still have SOME interest). I'll have to find a friend with the retail copy to give it a real try.

And it's not because I "don't like video games," it's because my tastes are far removed from what Sony is trying to sell the Vita on. They are talking about doing some interesting things with indie-style games on PSN which I'm paying very close attention to and I'm salivating at the prospect of everything and anything (not Kiseki related) that Falcom will do on the system. And then there's a rumor of Tales of Hearts following up Tales of Innocence AND Namco has secured a US trademark for it. But hey, those things aren't here yet, or even on the horizon.

and none of this is counting the downloadable PSP library.
But I already have a PSP (two, actually) and a very healthy library of games for it (them).

I wonder if they'll accept my money in this alternate universe if I can't find a portal back to my own.

(seriously what is happening in here)

Maedhros

Do I have to say "another day... another Vita thread" again?

Seriously, how can every new Vita thread here get so much doom/gloom and heated debates?

The OP is stretching the point. It's nothing like the Ps2, at all. IF it'll be remains to be seen, but Sony has to move for that to be a reality.

Right now it is the most expensive system on the market to get a basic level of use.

3DS is $169 and you're done.

Wii is $150 and you're done.

360 is $199 and you're done.

PS3 is $249 and you're done.

PSV is $269 because of the required memory card, which starts at $19.
It also just fucking came out.

smh.

MoxManiac

Can't believe people are saying vita has no games? It has one of the best portable launches ever. UMvC3? A new Wipeout? A new mainline Uncharted? SSD Delta? Lumines? Hot Shots Golf? I know i'm missing some too. The launch lineup is stacked as hell. I could see myself wanting at least 4-5 games if i could actually afford one now, heh.

In regards to the thread, we already have a portable version of the PS2; it's called the DS. Unbeatable library, massive sales and popularity, dominating all territories, etc.

Maedhros

Can't believe people are saying vita has no games? It has one of the best portable launches ever. UMvC3? A new Wipeout? A new mainline Uncharted? SSD Delta? Lumines? Hot Shots Golf? I know i'm missing some too. The launch lineup is stacked as hell. I could see myself wanting at least 4-5 games if i could actually afford one now, heh.

In regards to the thread, we already have a portable version of the PS2; it's called the DS. Unbeatable library, massive sales and popularity, dominating all territories, etc.

People think that platforms with lots of ports have no games. It was like that with the 3DS too.

No you don't. The games are nothing like console games and 2D content will look mindblowing if and when it gets made.

You realize that hand drawn 2D game like Blaz Blue is more expensive to make than 3D Street Fighter IV ?

And that's for 720p sprites

Postman

Banned

It is not a main line UC. it is a off shoot by a different company and it shows.

UMVC3 .. came out on Consoles before.. lots of people do not like fighters.
Wipeout .. also on consoles.. also old and niche
Lumines .. old .. niche
Hot shots.. old .. and on consoles. niche

The vitas line up is not as good as you think. I bought a vita . I have the money to buy any games I wont. There is nothing t hat I want though. :(

SteeloDMZ

Banned
It is not a main line UC. it is a off shoot by a different company and it shows.

UMVC3 .. came out on Consoles before.. lots of people do not like fighters.
Wipeout .. also on consoles.. also old and niche
Lumines .. old .. niche
Hot shots.. old .. and on consoles. niche

The vitas line up is not as good as you think. I bought a vita . I have the money to buy any games I wont. There is nothing t hat I want though. :(

Golden Abyss is as mainline as Code Veronica was for the RE franchise. And it's an excellent game.

When the ps2 came out, it was a dvd player at the time when dvd players were just announced to be the shit. The vita is coming out at a time, when oled, smartphone design and always on online is the rave.

Nobody in the general public cares about OLED, the Vita isn't a smartphone and always online isn't so much "the rave" as it is a baseline expectation consumers have for portable devices in this day and age. In other words, no it's nothing like the PS2.

fernoca

...the hell?
Shocking is great poster, but he lately had the tendency of going on threads just to say stuff like that. (if that was the reason he was banned :p)

Plus there is gravity rush and fifa as well. How is that "no games"?
Juts like how the Wii, PS3, Xbox 360, DS, PSP and 3DS has "no games".
It depends on who you ask. Basically, opinions and hyperboles. ;)

For some, the Vita's launch lineup is amazing with good variety, for others is just ports/spinoff of console games. For some the Xbox 360 has an awesome/varied library, for others it has no exclusives and a bunch of third-party games...and so on.

Every console has as much games as a person wants/likes. Even as awesome as the PSone and PS2 were, yet to many those "had no games". :p

Mastperf

It's not oled, but it will still blow anything out of the water right now. It has bigger res, than my giant ass PC monitor.

And I agree, that what little you can see on Iphone now looks the best out of all portable devices.

A giant pc monitor that turns to a blurry mess when anything moves. The contrast ratio and motion resolution of an oled screen crushes anything they will do with lcd. Higher resolution is a waste when it's still plagued with the age old lcd funk.

bigace33

Seems like Sony has finally made all the right moves with Vita. I absolutely hated how they fumbled the PS3 early on. I'm rooting for Sony and really hope the Vita is a huge success.

Shocking is great poster, but he lately had the tendency of going on threads just to say stuff like that. (if that was the reason he was banned :p)
I hope to god it's not a Perma, he's one of my favourite posters.
Edit: It's not. Thank heavens.

Apologies if too OT.

It's obviously not constructive behaviour on his part, but as usual I have a hard time arguing with his fundamental assertions.

plainr_

Vita has a lot of cleaning up to do after the PS3 and PSP. PS2 had it good, had it made. It's the Blue Ivy Carter of consoles.

lolwut.

Fuck I hate posts like this. I have a vita.with 6 games and they are all fantastic.

Blazblue
Umvc3
Uncharted
Golf
Wipeout
Rayman origins.

Plus there is gravity rush and fifa as well. How is that "no games"?

Uncharted is the only "big" name among those, Fifa maybe as well in a few countries. The rest are niche or ports, Rayman Origins is on every platform, including Vita's competitor, the 3DS.
So, depending on what your tastes are it really doesn't have much variety. I love the hardware, but so far there's not a single game (announced or available) that would make me want to buy it.

Uncharted is the only "big" name among those, Fifa maybe as well in a few countries. The rest are niche or ports, Rayman Origins is on every platform, including Vita's competitor, the 3DS.
So, depending on what your tastes are it really doesn't have much variety. I love the hardware, but so far there's not a single game (announced or available) that would make me want to buy it.
There's a difference between:

"The Vita has no games."

and

"The Vita doesn't have any games I'm interested in."

Kafel

Banned
Right now it is the most expensive system on the market to get a basic level of use.

3DS is $169 and you're done.

Wii is $150 and you're done.

360 is $199 and you're done.

PS3 is $249 and you're done.

PSV is $269 because of the required memory card, which starts at $19.

If you paid/pay $269 for the PSV and a MC, you're doing it wrong.

Omikaru

I like the Vita, but it has a long way to go before it reaches the greatness that was the PS2. I'm still discovering games for that system even today!

I think the one problem that Vita has is that it doesn't have the hype of the PS2 going in. That's not necessarily a recipe for failure, but it's got more of an uphill battle than PS2 had, which was pretty much the heir to PSone's crown and had no real challengers. Dreamcast's fate had been written when MGS2 was unveiled, whilst the Gamecube and the Xbox were too late to really dent the PS2's runaway success.

Vita, on the other hand, doesn't have that luxury. They're not coming in from having beaten the DS, and they're doing battle with Nintendo on their "home turf" (no one's bested them on handhelds before). They also have to put up with a media narrative that's not only saying the Vita is doomed, but handheld gaming entirely is doomed because people are instead going to game on their iPhone or whatever.

But credit where it's due, the PSP is the only system to ever go toe to toe with a Nintendo handheld and not get completely trounced. And I don't think that's anything to turn your nose up at going into a new generation, and in my view all the Vita needs is games. Things like price and popularity will quickly sort themselves out once the system has a good library.

Takao

Banned

rJfAz.png

Why does sales matter on a forum like NeoGAF? If the 3DS launched with a brand new Fire Emblem, Advance Wars, F-Zero, Pikmin and Custom Robo would people call that launch shit because all of those games are niche?

Even though I disagree with the OP's general hypothesis, a few days after the PS2 launched, there was a ton of negativity about it as well. More so than than the Vita I would guess. And a lot of "It has no games" talk.

Even though I disagree with the OP's general hypothesis, a few days after the PS2 launched, there was a ton of negativity about it as well. More so than than the Vita I would guess. And a lot of "It has no games" talk.

That's true of most products though, and not just in gaming. Before a product launches it's an unknown quantity, and the only "impressions" you get of it come from paid advertising spots. When it comes out and people have it in their hands they can actually begin to assess the success or failure of the product as a consumer, and that's why you start to see a flood of initial criticism.

It'll subside, always does.

Top Bottom