• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Vita western launch thread | It only does everything, everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Doesn't the PSP use the Asian XO setup when playing Asian titles? That's what I remember happening when playing SRW on PSP. No idea how it is on the Vita though.

I should clarify, I mostly meant for UI operations, like saving in games. On the PS3 it would use O to confirm for everything in-game, then when you try to save it would switch to X. Does the Vita use an integrated UI system for saving like the PS3?

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Ridge has planned downloadable content for Japan - i think they are likely holding off the US version so they can release it as a more complete game.

There would be no reason for them not to

linkboy

Question regarding the 3g Vita.

The exchange on the base I'm stationed at is doing a promotion where if you buy any electronics priced at $299, they'll give you a $75 gift card.

If I were to get the 3G model, does it require a data connection or could I just use the wifi only.

Because by taking advantage of this, I would be getting a Vita for $224.

Ridge has planned downloadable content for Japan - i think they are likely holding off the US version so they can release it as a more complete game.

There would be no reason for them not to

Nah it's releasing as is and we're getting the download pass for free when we buy it.

Ken

I should clarify, I mostly meant for UI operations, like saving in games. On the PS3 it would use O to confirm for everything in-game, then when you try to save it would switch to X. Does the Vita use an integrated UI system for saving like the PS3?
Oh, that I'm not sure. When you press the "home" button on the PSP to quit while in an Asian region game it opens up the quit screen in Japanese, and I think the controls were swapped on that screen and also the save menu. No idea how it will be for the Vita though. :x

Weenerz

Banned
Amazon changed Ridge Racer to June 30 wtf.

bAFOp.jpg

Probably so they can produce more dlc.

Remember when charging your Vita with the charging cable that the end of the plug has to have the PS logo facing up!

As we've been reviewing Vita games for the last month or so, several of us have noticed an odd design decision when it comes to the portable's charging cable. You see, most devices only allow their charging cable to plug in one way...the way it's supposed to work. Try plugging in your iPad or 3DS with the cable facing the wrong way, and you won't get very far. The Vita, on the other hand, lets you snugly insert the charging cable either way.

I learned this as I was reviewing Wipeout 2048. The battery level was in the red, so I plugged the system in. Considering it clicked into place just fine, I figured I was set to play as long as I wanted. Unfortunately, the system shut down mid-race and I lost my progress. It wouldn't turn on again, even though the system was plugged in. I texted Kyle, and it seems he ran into the same problem.

We discovered that even though the cable fits either way, it will only charge if it's plugged in as seen above (with the PS logo facing up). You can confirm that the system is charging if an animation of electric currents is running through the onscreen battery indicator.

It's a pretty dumb design decision, and one that Vita owners will surely become aware of shortly after their purchase. We just wanted to get the tip out there so you don't lose even one save before you figure this out.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2012/02/14/vita-charge-cable.aspx

Argyle

Nintendo added extra copper connectors to the 3DS so the docking would be easy - it doesn't use the same connector as the base adapter would. I can't see Sony being so thoughtful.
The PSP 1000 had a connector like this IIRC (next to the normal power plug), did Sony even release an accessory that used it?

imjust1n

Banned
This really makes me upset. I buy a FEB from GameStop in Chicagoland

And there still is no 32GB memory cards. I guess Sony doesn't want my money ?

Now I'm stuck with a small 4GB and is forced to transfer stuff and be inconveniently searching

Different stores for them. Wow good job Sony.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
My Vita has to travel 866 miles to get to my office tomorrow before 5PM EST. God speed my little friend, god speed. Yah FedEx*cracks a whip*, yah!

Mrbob

This really makes me upset. I buy a FEB from GameStop in Chicagoland

And there still is no 32GB memory cards. I guess Sony doesn't want my money ?

Now I'm stuck with a small 4GB and is forced to transfer stuff and be inconveniently searching

Different stores for them. Wow good job Sony.

It's in stock at amazon right now. Just order it and be done with this saga.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
So just unplug and replug until you get a charging indicator...it's a silly design decision but not a terrible inconvenience

It really is an inconvenience. When I get home from work I just want to plug that thing in and do something else for a while. Now you actually to have to physically look at the thing and make sure the connector is in correctly.

Seriously thinking about getting a cradle just so I don't have to worry about this.

jcutner

the ps3 doesn't passively charge via USB does it? as in always-on usb charging?
i was planning to plug the vita's cradle/dock into the PS3 and put that on my desk, but that would be pointless if it doesn't charge when the ps3 is off

For people in the UK how have your experience been with play.com in regards to getting the product on release day?
At checkout it says free delivery which takes 3-5 days but i would have assumed since it's an expensive product they would upgrade the shipping type. Thinking of switching my Amazon order to them since it's cheaper and you get the pre-order pack but I don't trust the shipping.

frequency

Remember when charging your Vita with the charging cable that the end of the plug has to have the PS logo facing up!

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2012/02/14/vita-charge-cable.aspx

Um... My cable definitely has ridges. It won't even go in if I flip it to the PS Logo facing downward.

I took pictures (with my Vita!).
So quoting original post and myself.

(Sorry I'm new to this camera thing so photos suck).

It will not fit in if I flip it the wrong way.
Maybe retail is different from what they sent to media outlets.

Bastion

Have you been to gamestop these past few years?

Better try at a target/TRU/Best Buy

Good point! I actually have a $250 wifi Vita already paid off at my local Gamestop but don't want to wait another week. I was hoping I could transfer it over tomorrow. Going to another store is not an option because of this.

Nert

After realizing that I would have to buy another AC Adapter AND another USB Cable for the Vita to turn my cradle into a separate charging station, I decided to buy those two things instead of cancelling the cradle order. Vita is turning me into a moron and I don't even have the system yet : /

Cookie18

For people in the UK how have your experience been with play.com in regards to getting the product on release day?
At checkout it says free delivery which takes 3-5 days but i would have assumed since it's an expensive product they would upgrade the shipping type. Thinking of switching my Amazon order to them since it's cheaper and you get the pre-order pack but I don't trust the shipping.

Amazon will definitely have it for launch. Play have always shipped things to me pretty sharpish but I've never pre-ordered. Now that I have noticed their Uncharted offer I may have to switch :/

DSFan1970

Will it be possible to walk into a GameStop tomorrow and pick up a Vita bundle if I didn't preorder?

Other people will tell you it's too late. BS. Been on GAF for years. I love hw launches but no one has heard of Vita. You'll walk out with one with no trouble. GAF hype does not translate to real world hype. Love the Vita but no one will buy it. Except for me then it will BOMBA and I will shed tears and be an ambassador again. ffs

VanWinkle

Just called Walmart #1. They say they don't have any. Disappointed. Then called Walmart #2 (it's a bigger Walmart). They put me on hold, and then say "we have somebody checking shipments in the back, so call back around midnight and we'll let you know". I want this thing at midnight! We will see. Getting a little nervous.

Zoibie

Play.com's free delivery option is 2nd class I think, so yeah, expect it 3 or 4 days later. I tried looking for a page to change delivery option to 1st/express class but I couldn't find anything so just changed to Amazon. I don't mind not getting the pre-order pack if it means getting it day 1.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
why did i laugh at this.

fuking gaf hype train got me ready to say screw it and waltz over to gamestop 1st thing in am for FEB instead of waiting the week.....im so weak

Think of it this way. For a strong launch, the Vita needs you as much as you want it.

Cookie18

why did i laugh at this.

fuking gaf hype train got me ready to say screw it and waltz over to gamestop 1st thing in am for FEB instead of waiting the week.....im so weak

This is why I am somewhat thankful that we don't have this bundle, even though I probably would have been lined up two hours ago and playing it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom