• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Vita western launch thread | It only does everything, everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain N

AltOIkHCMAEZzsB.jpg

what game(s) should I review first for Near Vita? I've also got Super Star Dust and Escape Plan.

Has anyone had any complaints regarding Uncharted's aiming feel on the Vita analog sticks? IGN's review of the hardware made a point of complaining about this, and suggested the analog sticks don't do well with fine adjustments.

Also, can you see anything related to the Vita on the PS3? I know you can't see online Vita friends, but what about Vita trophies?

Alright, I bought the preorder card at Target which gets you a $20 Target Gift Card when you pick up your Vita. I'm going to use that Target card to buy a regular Visa GC. Then I'm going to take that to Toys R Us and and buy a case and 8gb card. That should be around $50(but it will only cost me $30 since I have the card from Target) and I'll get a TRU GC. Then I can use that to buy a PSN card. So for around $280(not including tax) I will be getting a Vita, case, 8gb card, and $20 PSN card. That's the kind of bundle I'm talking about.

This is the last day you can buy the preorder cards from Target btw, if anyone else wants to do this.

Bullza2o

The FEB box looks huge! Is the regular WiFi edition going to be the same size? I'm debating whether to deliver it to my house or dorm, so I need to know if the box can fit my backpack (containing a few books and laptop), thanks.

frequency

So from what I can tell, there is no way to access your save data files on the Vita itself. You have to connect it to your PS3 or PC. You can look at your PSP save files, but not Vita save files.

Unless I'm missing something?
I was trying to find a way to see how long I've played this game.

robotrock

Banned
I probably can't just stick the SIM card from my AT&T phone which already has a monthly data plan into the Vita right? And you know, expect it to work?

KillGore

Whats the point of buying Vita carts if the games don't have manuals? I loved manuals for the artwork and stuff , plus they make good toilet material. If the companies wanna be eco friendly they should of made the cases the shape of the cart itself so they don't waste that plastic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50Q2SyqsSx0&feature=related

Manuals are a thing of the past. Sure, I love manuals as well but in all honesty? I only read them once and never again will I see them.

Also, regarding the size of vita cases, they are already extremely small. These cases can easily fit in some pockets, any smaller would be bad. Those stores that put the games where the customer can access it, is easily taken and stolen. Also, if you have cases as small as the cart itself, it'll have no presence whatsoever and will be easily overlooked. Vita cases probably has the less plastic use of them all, so it's fine as is.

I just got home and opened it up. SOOO NICE! I tried putting the screen protector on AS SOON as I opened it and there is a fucking piece of dust under it. DAMN IT!

Manuals are a thing of the past. Sure, I love manuals as well but in all honesty? I only read them once and never again will I see them.

Also, regarding the size of vita cases, they are already extremely small. These cases can easily fit in some pockets, any smaller would be bad. Those stores that put the games where the customer can access it, is easily taken and stolen. Also, if you have cases as small as the cart itself, it'll have no presence whatsoever and will be easily overlooked. Vita cases probably has the less plastic use of them all, so it's fine as is.

Heck even a lot of console releases have bare bones manuals that are pretty much just legalese and how to put the game in the system.

MrMephistoX

Alright, I bought the preorder card at Target which gets you a $20 Target Gift Card when you pick up your Vita. I'm going to use that Target card to buy a regular Visa GC. Then I'm going to take that to Toys R Us and and buy a case and 8gb card. That should be around $50(but it will only cost me $30 since I have the card from Target) and I'll get a TRU GC. Then I can use that to buy a PSN card. So for around $280(not including tax) I will be getting a Vita, case, 8gb card, and $20 PSN card. That's the kind of bundle I'm talking about.

This is the last day you can buy the preorder cards from Target btw, if anyone else wants to do this.

Hate to break it to you but generally you need cash to buy visa gift card: at least that was the policy when I tried.

plainr_

Rhythm Heaven is a Nintendo franchise.

That said, the original music game in Parappa may return on Vita. The creator felt the platform could offer them an outlet that wasn't previously possible.

Yeah I know. :)

I've never played Parappa before, is it anything like RH? I may have to get this game on PSP. Hopefully there's a DD version so I can play it on my Vita instead.

mboojigga

Gamestop and Best Buy's in my area have didn't have a midnight launch and are not expecting a midnight launch for the official release due to not enough pre-orders. A brand new handheld that doesn't have midnight launch. Cause for concern?

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I know. :)

I've never played Parappa before, is it anything like RH? I may have to get this game on PSP. Hopefully there's a DD version so I can play it on my Vita instead.
PaRappa is nothing like Rhythm Heaven but it's gloriously good. The PSP version sucks, the timings are all off. Don't bother. The PSX version should be pretty cheap. Get UmJammer Lammy too.

Hate to break it to you but generally you need cash to buy visa gift card: at least that was the policy when I tried.

Yeah, I kind of expected something like that. I'll probably just use that on a PSN card at Target, get the stuff at TRU for $50, and get an extra PSN card with the TRU card. I plan on spending more than $20 on PSN day one anyways.

Still, $40 in gift cards on stuff I was going to buy anyways.

How do we enable the free 30 day 250mb pass? I didn't see a code in my FEB box or any special notice when I signed up for my initial pass.

You get it after paying for the first month. It'll be your second month of service that is free.

Whats the point of buying Vita carts if the games don't have manuals? I loved manuals for the artwork and stuff , plus they make good toilet material. If the companies wanna be eco friendly they should of made the cases the shape of the cart itself so they don't waste that plastic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50Q2SyqsSx0&feature=related

The point is they're cheaper, you can sell/trade them, you can loan/borrow/rent them, and they're more future-proof. DD only gives you convenience.

Wozzer

The point is they're cheaper, you can sell/trade them, you can loan/borrow/rent them, and they're more future-proof. DD only gives you convenience.

They're not future proof if the next piece of hardware doesn't support the carts, as the Vita doesn't support UMD. That's what has me sat on the fence unable to decide to DD or retail.

SO besides the files being mp4, what are the requirements for videos? Because none of the videos I converted and put on there work. They're 1280x720 mp4s. What should I change?

They're not future proof if the next piece of hardware doesn't support the carts, as the Vita doesn't support UMD. That's what has me sat on the fence unable to decide to DD or retail.

They're future-proof in they're guaranteed to work in the future. No guarantee on DD if the server shuts down or licensing expires or any other reason. Remember when PSN shut down last year? Pretty much cut off your access. Sony just announced their digital comic service will no longer be available at the end of the year and anything you bought will no longer be accessible. Not to mention, look at the scare that happened earlier when some PSP games weren't working and also look at the fact that some won't work period. You're reliant on emulation in the future which doesn't guarantee a future.

I can always whip out the old system or even buy a used one 10 years from now on eBay and play retail copies.

Reclaimer

Went home and immediately did my patented run the shower while installing screen protector... Perfect!

Love it so far, but fuck does it take FOREVER to transfer full size vita games from my PS3. I thought I was going to save some time by pre-downloading them, but at this rate it would have taken the same time to just get a fresh download straight to my vita.

Any tips for that?

mrklaw

MrArseFace

the cost and space to support Vita cards in a Vita 2 is trivial in comparison to a hulking great big UMD drive. So I wouldn't worry about that.

I'm going mostly physical, but for regular online games that I'll dip into all the time i'll buy digital (wipeout, hotshots golf for example). Then the rest of the space for PSP/PSone games

Godslay

Banned
This might be a stupid question, but let's say that I pick up MLB: The Show for Vita, and my buddy picks it up for PS3, can we play between the systems? The reason I ask is that it I know you can save on your Vita, and pick up where you left off on the PS3. I just wanted to rule it out, and to help decide which system to pick it up for.

Can someone answer this for me?

Wozzer

They're future-proof in they're guaranteed to work in the future. No guarantee on DD if the server shuts down or licensing expires or any other reason. Remember when PSN shut down last year? Pretty much cut off your access. Sony just announced their digital comic service will no longer be available at the end of the year and anything you bought will no longer be accessible. Not to mention, look at the scare that happened earlier when some PSP games weren't working and also look at the fact that some won't work period. You're reliant on emulation in the future which doesn't guarantee a future.

I can always whip out the old system or even buy a used one 10 years from now on eBay and play retail copies.

Very true, how they're handling the comic service especially is appalling. I've over 200 games on Steam and fully support the idea of DD... I'm just not sure that Sony can be trusted. I'd love to go all in on DD, but I expect for now I'll stick to retail and hope the next gen is a little kinder to the PS Vita format (not to mention it'll turn out a lot cheaper).

Glassboy

This is the sexiest handheld I have ever used. The screen is the main reason why I think so. The size, the clarity, it's amazing. Also, the system is super comfortable to hold. Not too heavy and big enough that my hands don't cramp. This thing rocks!

DustinC

yep.

I ran into my first freeze during Near when trying to cancel.

Hard Reset is for you

Great, thanks! Stuck at work with a browser that restricts access to every video game site but Neogaf, couldn't dig up the answer anywhere else.

Outside of the whole freezing thing I'm loving the system so far. Haven't been able to spend a lot of time with it, but I'm off work tomorrow.

Does anyone else think the X button and right analog feel a little too close together? I played a bit of Maverick Hunter last night and was constantly brushing up against it when I jumped. Damn my fat fingers.

Hawk269

My gamestop has one in stock. Was on teh fence the entire time, now that I can get one not sure if I should pull the trigger.

Gaf please help? What comes in this FEB for $50.00 more than the regular one for $299?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom