• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Thread 2: Reloaded

MattAces

Just bought Mortal Blitz. Easily one of the most polished game apart from the initial control syncing problem.
Graphic looks really sharp and clean, the roomscale aspect is also very stable. Almost no wobbly problem and you really need to duck, hide to shoot enemies. Much more polished and better graphics compared to the demo. Even the move controller doesn't drift/shake.
Straight up Time Crisis in corridors.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Just bought Mortal Blitz. Easily one of the most polished game apart from the initial control syncing problem.
Graphic looks really sharp and clean, the roomscale aspect is also very stable. Almost no wobbly problem and you really need to duck, hide to shoot enemies. Much more polished and better graphics compared to the demo. Even the move controller doesn't drift/shake.

So glad to hear that devs are getting better at the basic stuff in VR. Seriously!

chippy13

Hey guys, my preorder for farpoint with the aim controller just got cancelled from amazon.ca. Has anyone else had this come up? They say on the site that the bundle is unavailable but you can pre order each separately.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Sold my PSVR and got an Oculus + Touch
It's been fun PSVRGaf. I made sure my PSVR found a loving home.
o7

I don't blame you, now that I tried out Superhot VR on the Oculus Rift at my friend's place. I ended up in many awkward postures trying to dodge those bullets when I play that game, and that's crazy fun.

PSVR Quiz Game Show: Quiz Night Tonight!

Is releasing next week says developer, Trailer reveal comes Wednesday, if anyone is interested.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PSVR/comments/65wkyr/heres_a_clip_from_our_upcoming_gamequiz_night/

redrad56 Developer 10 hours ago
Quiz Night Tonight! is an upcoming Online VR gameshow for PSVR. It also features local co op gameplay with non vr users via the social screen for up to 4 players.
A trailer is coming this Wednesday.

redrad56 Developer 8 hours ago
14.99 USD price with 20% off PS+ discount at launch. Release date is next week.

Again, April is PSVR month :p

Game Description:

redrad56 Developer 6 hours ago
The game has two main game modes. And is online and offline with local co op and bots.
Trivia : This your standard trivia, where players will attempt to answer questions as fast as they can. Each player gets 10 seconds to answer, the quicker they answer the more points they earn for each correct answer. This mode also features mini game events after x amount of questions. The mini games are Ball Room, and Jigsaw puzzler.
Ball Room, will have you competing to hit as many targets as possible within the time limit. Jigsaw puzzler will require you to complete the puzzles as fast as possible.
Knowledge Race: This game mode is based off of boardgame like mechanics. Players will race towards a finish line, only advancing forward by answering correct trivia questions. But watch out for traps!
Online: Trivia is 1-6 players, Knowledge Race 1-4.
Local Co op: 1-4 players.

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
It annoys me immensely that I can't find/get PSVR from any Japanese stores. Every time there is a sign that says come back on a certain day to have a change to buy one.

Would love to give money but I can't. So I play the waiting game.

MattAces

VR Invaders and Herocade available in US store.
Still waiting for more impression but so far there's 3 or 4 people who bought it said the tracking is on point.

Kyolux

Waiting on impressions on herocade. Invaders looks like space pirate training or wtv it's called on vive, and while I liked that, don't feel like I'd pay this much for it.

Maligna

Banned
So, the Asian version of Summer Lesson with English subtitles is coming out soon, but my question is: Is the game fun?

What's the word on it?

But the cord for the headset keeps getting in the way of my enjoyment of moving around in this game.

BenAddict

Neo Member
So I just bought VR Invaders and Mortal Blitz; I was in dire need of more VR action. Just can't get enough of the training mode in VR Worlds London Heist, which is still one of the best shooting segments in any PS VR game to date.

Here are my impressions of the games for anyone interested in buying them.
First off, both games tracked very well! Up there with the best tracking I had so far and I played quite a few PS VR games.

VR Invaders feels great, the graphics are quite nice, even though a bit pixelated in the distance. The gun/shield combo is a great idea, but the execution isn't that good in my opinion. You can block enemy shots, but you can also shoot the projectiles which makes the shield a bit useless. The shooting in general feels quite good but the game is becoming monotonous in the long run. There are quite a few powers-ups which feel great, the slow motion shield effect is cool, but its pretty much shooting non stop, with very little variety.
The stages look really nice, the voice over is ok. The story might as well not be there though. The training mode is kind of a joke, its just the same robots coming at you in a bland level with increasing speed. Yeah... I did not try Survival until now.
There are no options at all and there was no introduction to the game, which I found a bit odd. I played while standing up, the tracking was flawless, but the ground beneath my feet felt more like it's meant to be played while sitting down...
Conclusion: Its a fun game but it feels very bare bones for the asking price of 17,99 in my opinion and gets repetitive fast. Still an acceptable purchase if you a thirsty for VR shooting like I am. :D

Mortal Blitz is a much fuller game in comparison. The game encourages movement much more. Its recommended to play it while seated, but that takes out the fun in my opinion. I played while standing up and could duck behind cover and blind fire and it worked very well. The game is great fun, the graphics are nice, the controls great and there is some weapon variety.
I only played two missions so far, but one thing has to be mentioned. The sound is just amazingly bad. Its honestly atrocious! I have no idea how someone thought "Yep, that sounds alright" while developing this. In the main menu, which is a hub, there are two characters walking around you. The footsteps are the worst sound effects I have ever heard and the 3D positioning of the audio in general is terrible as well. Ruins the experience quite a bit, which is a shame. I very much like the rest of the game. Its definitely a bigger game than VR Invaders, and has more replayability from what I have played so far.

I hope these impressions help some of you. ;) If you want more details just ask.

Maligna

Banned
So I just bought VR Invaders and Mortal Blitz; I was in dire need of more VR action. Just can't get enough of the training mode in VR Worlds London Heist, which is still one of the best shooting segments in any PS VR game to date.

I feel like Mortal Blitz is like being inside a Dreamcast game. Just gives me that early 2000 eras vibe.

Also really wish the enemies reacted when shot and that they weren't bullet sponges.

BenAddict

Neo Member
I feel like Mortal Blitz is like being inside a Dreamcast game. Just gives me that early 2000 eras vibe.

Also really wish the enemies reacted when shot and that they weren't bullet sponges.

Yes that fits quite well. Feels old school in a good way and dated at the same time...
And I with you on the enemy reaction, or the lack thereof. They take too many bullets. Otherwise the game would probably over in 15 minutes if they would die quickly, as the weapon accuracy with the good tracking is deadly. :D

BenAddict

Neo Member
And preordered.

I was likely going to get it, I just hadn't actually put an order in yet. From all of the hands-on impressions, it sounds like the bundle with the Aim Controller is the way to go. Have they said anything about DS4 or Move support?

The DS4 is supported as far as I know, but the normal Move controllers are not.
I am also looking forward to Farpoint. I can't shake the fear that it might be disappointing, but I really hope its an awesome experience with replay ability. 5-6 hours for the campaign is quite short...

Glix

DEAR SEGA,

Please make a virtual light gun arcade where I can play HOTD and VC in their original cabs. PLEASE. You barely have to do anything. Just make the "arcade" and load up the fucking roms.

Please.

You can have all my money.

Please.

(Jurassic Park too if you are feeling generous)

Much love,

Rich

ChouGoku

I got Mortal Blitz and beat it today and its pretty fun. Anything that has a gun in 1st person should be in VR and have motion controls. Its pretty fun, I didn't know you should play sitting down until the 3rd mission but I felt standing up made it more fun. It was very cool to duck and cover, blind fire, and twist my hand to see how much ammo I had left. The atmosphere was pretty cool, it was very 2000s Sega arcade games with its vibe. Its pretty short though, I beat it in about an hour but they do say more updates are coming, hopefully they are free. Sound is terrible, music sounds very similar, your in game allies make the same noises, and these are the loudest footsteps that sound like they are walking on dirt I have ever heard. There are unlokcs (I am guessing weapon unlocks) But I don't know how to get those yet.

Adree

I expected more out of Race the Sun, just doesn't feel that immersive. When you hit a jump it feels sort of cool though.

fernoca

Having added some a bunch of games to my collection I wanted to give my thumbs up and down to some titles:

Absolutely get:

-Resident Evil 7
-Starblood Arena
-Rez Infinite
-Thumper
-SUPERHYPERCUBE
-Headmaster
-VR Worlds (if for no other reason than to have one VR thing you can show absolutely everyone: Ocean Decent)
-Batman Arkham VR
-Windlands (only if you don’t get motion sickness)
-Tethered (if you like stategy games)
-Job Simulator (you need to set up your room a bit to get it to play well, and it starts to feel like a job more than fun, but the game is really charming and cool and really puts you into another reality)
-Call of Duty Jackal (it’s free, and the best of the space shooters IMO)
-Joshua Bell VR (it’s free and cool)
-Bound
-Here They Lie (this game is scary and wierd and sexy - you become a stripper in the game and go to a sex club)
-Until Dark Rush of Blood
-Volume
-Psychonauts In the Rhombus of Ruin (next to RE7, this game might have the best art on the console. It's a point-and-click adventure game using psychic powers. Made me forget how much I loved Psychonauts. Very slick, great writing, story and characters)

Maybe get:

-Wayward Sky (If you don’t mind repetitive puzzles, it’s quite cool)

-Tumble VR (it’s good for what it is, but maybe a bit boring after you’ve played all the different types of puzzles once)
-Trackmania Turbo (if the whole game was in VR I was say absolutely get it, but there are only 40 VR levels)

Don’t get:

-Pinball FX2 VR (it’s the best videogame pinball I’ve ever played, however I wouldn’t pay a quarter to play any of the three tables you get)
-Star Wars Battlefront VR mission (ok, maybe this is a controversial opinion, but I bought Star Wars Battlefront just for the VR mission and I didn’t like it. The cockpit was glorious, but everything outside the ship looked so cheap. The background looked like a space mural that you would see in a children’s kindergarten classroom; it looked fake and low poly and not like space at all IMO. If you are considering buying SW:B just for this, I would say don't. Download Call of Duty Jackall VR for free. The gameplay is better and it looks better IMO)
-Eagle Flight (another game that other have seemed to like. For me, the flying was really slow and boring, even holding boost. I wanted more of a thrill (especially after playing Windlands). Also, after my initial pass-over of the city, I just didn’t find the city interesting or graphically impressive)
-Holoball (I wanted to like it but the game just felt cheap, not a quality game. There was no consistency to my swings. I could swing exactly the same and each time get a crazy different result. And my paddle would constantly bug out - instead of going straight out of my hand, sometimes it would go out at the wrong angle)
-Robinson: The Journey. (graphically the game was pretty but it has some major gameplay problems. The objectives weren’t clear and even if you knew what to do, sometimes you couldn’t do them until you triggered an audio cue in the level. For ex, I needed to repair a wind generator. The 4 pieces were strewn on the ground nearby. I wasn’t able to levatate the pieces at all, until my bot said, “hey, try levitating the pieces”, which didn’t happen until I had already walked and climbed all around the level about 5 times, then suddenly the bot said that, and I now had the ability to levitate the pieces. This kind of brokeness happened a lot for me)
-Fruit Ninja VR. (I was like "cool!" when I saw the swords in my hands, but unfortunately the fruit pops up so close to you that you don't have time to do anything but slice spazzily. The hit detection isn't great either IMO)
-Mortal Blitz (just felt like a cheap mobile game that I wouldn't play if it was free)
Quoting this to keep an eye out.Recently got Tethered and was really impressed.

VR Worlds, Playroom and Call of Duty has been a success when it comes to show VR to others.

So after a couple of months of PSVR hiatus (playing Q1/Switch games non stop) I finally decided to put on the headset once again.

-Started watching a couple of 3D scenes from Tron Legacy. Maybe it's me, but I'm having a hard time noticing any 3D effects. In fact a Pirates of the Caribbean trailer that played before the movie had more 3D effects.
-On another hand, the quality of the film looked almost crystal. I could have definitely sit and watch through the entire thing.
-While downloading a patch for Starblood Arena, I decided to give Gunjack a try, and I liked it, just a simple arcade shooter and I only payed $4 for it.
-Then I moved into the just recently patched Race to the Sun and my god did that felt good to play, specially in first person. I played quite a bit of the game, back when it released on PS+ but I got bored after a while. This might get me on board again.
-So I started Starblood and I have to say, that this probably my favorite space shooter by far (I really disliked EVE Valkirie). Couldn't get a match, but I enjoy my time with the bots. Visuals look really good and sharp on this one. I hope the game hasn't peaked yet, I love to play some online matches.
-I also got DriveClub VR and finally decided to start playing.This is another win. I really liked it. I'm not best driver but I managed to place in some races. Visuals looked pretty good after you get use to it.
-Next Up, Danganronpa VR demo. Criminally short. But I liked what I saw. Would be SO down for a VR remake of the first game.
-Did another area for REZ Infinite. (I basically do 1 area occasionally to make the game last longer) This is one of my favorite VR games by far so I'm glad I'm taking my sweet time with it. Can't wait to do Area X.
-Watched a couple of VR videos from the video apps. Quality is pretty meh, specially on Youtube.
-Netflix looks really good. Watched a bit of Daredevil and Attack on Titan.

And that's about it. I definetly need to use my PSVR more often. At least I'm sure that I'll be using it in May for Farpoint. There are lot VR games I want to buy that have released recently but I am freaking broke and I have to save some money for the fall massacre of games T_T

Hellers

So Summer Lesson next week with English subs. Apparently it's an Asian PSN store release. I have the original Japanese version but don't speak a word so getting english subs will be great.

Which country do I need to create the PSN account in and where can I buy credit?

*Edit* Ah. I see. Hong Kong. That was nice and simple

Also don't forget Jeff Minter's new game Polybius is out on the 28th

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJ8XYMJVEcw

Just recently got back into DriveClub VR, now that I updated my Thrustmaster T150. I have been playing the game with old firmware all this time. GT SPORT made me check for an update and yooo!!! I'm there. I was playing the game at 900degree angle, now since the update 1080degree angle and it handles a lot better. I forgot how in VR how the cockpit moves and you can feel the road under you the dips ect... great feeling and the handling makes it that much better.

Maligna

Banned
So Summer Lesson next week with English subs. Apparently it's an Asian PSN store release. I have the original Japanese version but don't speak a word so getting english subs will be great.

Which country do I need to create the PSN account in and where can I buy credit?

*Edit* Ah. I see. Hong Kong. That was nice and simple

Also don't forget Jeff Minter's new game Polybius is out on the 28th

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJ8XYMJVEcw

I'm interested but I want to hear some opinions. I still have no idea whether the game is actually good.

-Started watching a couple of 3D scenes from Tron Legacy. Maybe it's me, but I'm having a hard time noticing any 3D effects. In fact a Pirates of the Caribbean trailer that played before the movie had more 3D effects.

It's probably not you. IIRC, the "real world" scenes are 2D while 3D is only used for the "virtual world" segments.

Sho Nuff

Banned
The sound is just amazingly bad. Its honestly atrocious! I have no idea how someone thought "Yep, that sounds alright" while developing this. In the main menu, which is a hub, there are two characters walking around you. The footsteps are the worst sound effects I have ever heard and the 3D positioning of the audio in general is terrible as well.

Yes. The positional sound is absolutely awful in this game and it's hard to tell where you're being shot at from. >:/

mr lurtle

I liked it. Controls weren't so bad once I got used to them. At least it has move support. Plays much better than the the assembly move version IMHO.

Kyolux

Based on the very short (like 30 mins) I've spent with it so far... no.

It's the worst control system I think I've encountered in VR so far.

It's a bit out there, yeah, but by the time I got used to it, I didn't think it was that bad.

Top Bottom