• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Thread 2: Reloaded

MattAces

Hey MattAces, how does Raw Data's tracking compare to Ancient Amuletor? The bow tracking in the demo at least is pretty wonky from some angles, PS Move light occlusion is a problem when pulling the string.

I've only played Ancient Amulator demo, but yea, light occlusion can sometime be a problem in Raw Data too, it will fix itself after a second. I haven't spend much time with the bow class, but from the 40 minutes I've used him, most of the problem I encounter is when I'm trying to shoot airborne enemies because I'm basically overlapping the headset light + 2 Move. Ground troopers were absolutely fine. I will say though, comparing Raw Data to most of the super fast action game, it's working MUCH better than I anticipated. Maybe below Dick Wilde, but this is one of those game that doesn't wobble when you put your Move infront of your headset. Seems like they've found a way to eliminate that problem. Almost every launch game has this stupid problem and you can't aim down sight at all. Arizona Sunshine and Raw Data are the two Move games that doesn't wobble.

I would classify this as among the best tracking game for me. Hopefully Pro patch will optimize performance more because the lower framerate made the hand tracking doesn't look as smooth as Dick Wilde, this is very hard to explain without you trying it. Dick Wilde hand/gun tracking is like native 90/120fps but in Raw Data you can clearly tell the framerate is reprojected, which affected animation and stuff (Dev confirmed Pro patch will optimize performance and animation, we'll wait and see). Other than that, I have zero major issue. I'm playing through second run with Hard difficulty using pistol class, died zero times so far.

This is honestly my top 5 favorite PSVR game now. Almost 7 hours in now.

MattAces

So I asked the uploader on the visual of GT: How's the visual? Much better than Driveclub VR?

His reply: Yep. It felt like Driveclub's sharpness stopped at the windscreen of your car. GT has a much better balance of cockpit/trackside detail.

I was checking prices for Skyrim VR and Amazon UK lists the release date as 30th November. It's out on the 17th, right? There aren't different release dates for digital and physical are there?

MattAces

First version of PU

20161013_01.jpg

Second version of PU with HDR

20171014_03.jpg

Interesting...
That guy commented visually similar to PCars on PCVR.

More: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkBiOzIUJfI
This looks VERY detailed. Road texture is present.

Rally racing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sf7qD6oNnAE

FFS. I cannot add another $60 game in my budget.

Out of all the VR stuff that has been leaked the only bit I actually want to see is the menus and no one has shown them. Do we get to choose the time of day for the track, are the difficulty settings more like quick race or like custom race in arcade, if it is simpler can we still adjust the boost setting, what tracks are available, do we have all cars available from the get go or is it like the rest of arcade mode with a small selection and the rest are through the garage, Do you earn credits and contribute to other stats such as milage and rank. How do we adjust position is it like the standard adjustment for driver view or is it before the race.

MattAces

At this point I feel like you're doing these for me, lol.

I'll have to get it, hopefully the tracking is good enough. I wish Sony just released new controller tracking tech though...

I wish the game has demo so you can try it out.
But yea, if you want a better experience, wait for the Pro patch to drop before starting/buying it.
I've sunk 7-8 hours in, enjoyed every second of it, can't wait to see how much Pro will improve it though.
I'll definitely know the differences considering how much time I've spent.
Now that I'm used to the control, it's unbelievable how intuitive it is. I felt like I'm playing with a keyboard for movement, as in my thumb sliding to the backward/left/right/forward button works so well.

Also I just want to say this, there's a reason why I'm not trying to sell you on the game, I'm just trying to give you as much information as possible. I'm avoiding making any "GO BUY IT NOW" statement.
Seeing that you have problems with Move controller, maybe it's your setup or your tolerance level is much lower, I don't want to waste your $30.
The last time I recommended a game in here, Arizona Sunshine, it didn't work for that person AT ALL (still feeling guilty). The tracking was apparently very bad from his side while mine worked perfectly, among the top of tracking.
That being said, the only game with really good tracking I'm confident to vouch for is Dick Wilde. If you have problem in that game, then maybe PSMove games are just not for you. I use Dick Wilde as the tracking benchmark all the time.

Gritesh

Well thanks for the feedback.

I'll keep trying the vr to see if I can overcome that crappy feeling.

It just kind of disheartens me when I spent quite a bit of money on it and I can't enjoy it for more than 10 minute intervals.

MattAces

Just saw this video of No Heroes Allowed! covering some of the earlier parts -- it's the Japanese game, but with English commentary. I think I'm convinced to get it ... looks like my sort of game:

https://youtu.be/IFEvKZPHESc

I know it's a weird problem, but using DS4 discourages me to play it.
But gosh, this game looks so good, I'm very close to getting it.
Very curious about the game itself, is it a campaign, skirmish or what.

ThaNostalgic1

Neo Member
Hey everyone, been stalking this place for a bit and I wanted your opinion. I want to get a PS4 and PSVR for black friday/christmas this year but I am in a bit of a conundrum of what to pick. Keep in mind I have a basic non-UHD 1080p 48" tv.

Should I get:
1.) PS4 Pro and current PSVR
2.) Basic PS4 and current PSVR
3.) Ps4 Pro and wait to get the new PSVR when it comes out or
4.) PS4 Basic and wait to get new PSVR?

Only reason why I don't have a new/better tv is because the TV I have is good enough to play games and I believe in the law of diminishing returns on new tvs and higher resolution.

MattAces

Hey everyone, been stalking this place for a bit and I wanted your opinion. I want to get a PS4 and PSVR for black friday/christmas this year but I am in a bit of a conundrum of what to pick. Keep in mind I have a basic non-UHD 1080p 48" tv.

Should I get:

Only reason why I don't have a new/better tv is because the TV I have is good enough to play games and I believe in the law of diminishing returns on new tvs and higher resolution.

I use 27'' Dell IPS display (as a monitor for my PC, Switch screen and PS4 screen).
No plans for a 4k TV anytime soon because I'm a poor college student.
Pretty happy with my PS4 Pro purchase. I bought it just for VR and overall very satisfied with it.
So I would just recommend go for a PS4 Pro and wait for the new PSVR, which is supposed to be released around this month. Japan had a launch party for the new PSVR today, so should be quite soon. Of course if you can find a cheap deal on old PSVR, just go for it since you don't have HDR, unless you plan on getting 4k HDR soon.

Not that PS4 is bad for PSVR, it's more like "might as well go for the Pro."

Alienous

Should I get:

I played PSVR with option 2 initially, then option 1.

The PS4 Pro didn't seem to transform PSVR - it's better, but it was great on PS4 too. I do feel like as VR progresses the standard PS4 versions of titles will feel more and more inferior, as PC VR ports cut extra corners to work on standard PS4 hardware.

So I'd say it's between option 1 and 2, but the stinger is make sure you get PS Move controllers too - the depth of reaching and grabbing things really makes PSVR come together. If a PS4 Pro + PSVR 1.0 (assuming you get a good deal) + 2x PS Move controllers doesn't break the bank go with that, otherwise replace the Pro with a slim.

Hazanko

Banned

Should I get:

1 or 3

Hey all, I feel like I have most of the showcase titles on psvr already, haven't jumped in awhile but with this sale nows a good time!

Have a pro, but outside of that, what's the word on Arizona sunshine? Better with moves or aim? Been itching for a zombie/monster shooter, originally wanted to Brookhaven but seems like it was good for a launch title, now not so Much?

Trying to decide between Arizona and dick wilde, but lookin more for fun/variety than hardcore challenge. Read dick wilde gets pretty hard but, I'm open to suggestions.

Honestly I may get both but prob only have real time to dig into 1.

MattAces

Hey all, I feel like I have most of the showcase titles on psvr already, haven't jumped in awhile but with this sale nows a good time!

Have a pro, but outside of that, what's the word on Arizona sunshine? Better with moves or aim? Been itching for a zombie/monster shooter, originally wanted to Brookhaven but seems like it was good for a launch title, now not so Much?

Trying to decide between Arizona and dick wilde, but lookin more for fun/variety than hardcore challenge. Read dick wilde gets pretty hard but, I'm open to suggestions.

Honestly I may get both but prob only have real time to dig into 1.

Arizona Sunshine is worth playing through with both controller.
Aim feels like a sniper rifle game while Move is like a standard VR action game.
Game is great, every level is very distinct.

Dick Wilde is the most chaotic game on PSVR that works well. Top notch tracking whether it's Aim or Move. Works really well either way, but even on the easiest setting, it's insanely challenging and action intensive. You move around A LOT in this game, physically.

Weird that we can't pre-order yet.

Pre-order won't be available, but it's $16 if you're wondering.

Ogni-XR21

So I've had my psvr since launch day in North America.

I played a bunch of games when it came out some made me sick others didnt.

I abandoned it to my closet though because the motion sickness would RUIN me for the rest of my day when I used it.

I tried it again a few months ago when I purchased until dawn rush of blood. Two different play sessions later and two more days ruined from the sickness I put it away again.

Tonight I picked up farpoint vr with the aim controller and tried that out. Made it till just past the first spider things you shoot and had to rip the thing off my face and sit down. Severely soaked in sweat and doing everything in my power to not lose my supper.

Will this ever go away or am I invested into a piece of hardware that I simply cannot stomach and will be forced to sell it?

As others have suggested, stick to games that don't make you sick (do you remember which ones were ok?) at first. I really takes some time to earn your VR legs.

At first I could not play games like Driveclub, Battlefront, Rigs... I tried these on the demo disc and could tell right away that I could not handle these. It's very important to stop right away once you realize a game is not for you.

The main reason I got PSVR was REZ, which I could handle as long as I did not use dynamic mode which adds more dynamic movement to the rail movement. So I stuck to REZ, Rush of Blood (the rollercoster sections could be intense, but not in a way of making me sick but how you expect a rollercoster to feel like), Wayward Sky. I had a hard time playing Robot Rescue from the Playroom VR collections at first too, but that was doable.

Over the course of maybe 2 weeks playing daily, mostly REZ and Rush of Blood I found myself not reacting to movement as much as before. Which was kind of disappointing for Rush of Blood as I loved those rollercoster sections and how these went to your stomach. So I decided to try the dynamic mode in REZ again, and now it was great to play. I still felt the movement but it was not making me feel sick like before. So that was how I now played the game.

I don't know how long it took, but after a while I decided to give the Driveclub demo another try (a game I couldn't even play for 30 seconds at first) and suddenly I could play the demo, I still had problems when I was moving my body when driving, but if I was sitting still it was fine. So I was really improving my VR legs.

I remember playing quite a bit of VR Luge (that downhill racing game in VR Worlds) once I could handle movement a little better, after that I started playing Scavengers Odyssey (also VR Worlds), only a few minutes at a time but after maybe a week of doing so I could play this running around and jumping (even double jumping). By then I ended up buying Driveclub VR, as I could now play it without a problem at all. I even bought Windlands when it released... I can now play any VR game without any comfort settings (felt a bit queasy after play Mervils for 2 hours though).

As for you right now, I would suggest Rez, Thumper, Static, SuperHot, Rush of Blood, ... there are many static games to play even if you never end up being able to play games with smooth movement, but you gotta start with those static games and take baby steps in earning your VR legs. You cannot expect to jump in and play stuff like RE7 right away. Well, some people can, a friend of mine could play Windlands on the first night I showed him VR just fine.

Sorry for this wall of text btw.

Should I get:

If you weren't getting a PS VR I would say go for the slim Ps4, but since you are I would advise on the Pro model even with a 1080 TV. Also, whose to say you don't get the inkling to upgrade your TV to 4k next year, then you'll have the best Ps4 model out to take advantage :)

KOHIPEET

1st person super hero sim Megaton Rainfall. It is a 2d game with VR support. You defend the planets from aliens, cities are fairly destructable, there is a real sized earth you can travel around, you also can go around the solar system and leave the galaxy. My most hyped VR game for almost 2 years.

Holy shit! How the hell did I miss this?

Gritesh

Just plopped in farpoint again this morning.

My wife had seabands so I wore them and turned in the overhead fan.

I got about an hour of solid playtime in. I could probably have gone farther but I was starting to feel a bit dizzy so I shut it down.

I'm going to give it another go tonight again and see how I can do. I feel like anything longer than an hour would be a decent stint anyways so well see but definitely feeling slightly better now.

The only thing that got me in my play session today was side stepping while moving the character in the world forward. I got a tinge of vertigo for a few seconds whenever I did that.

I really want to play through this farpoint though I don't know how long it is but man it's really amazing!!

**Edit**

I've been out now for 20 minutes, definitely feeling some after effects but its not as bad as yesterday. I think trying Rigs again before Farpoint really threw me off yesterday.

MattAces

Just plopped in farpoint again this morning.

My wife had seabands so I wore them and turned in the overhead fan.

I got about an hour of solid playtime in. I could probably have gone farther but I was starting to feel a bit dizzy so I shut it down.

I'm going to give it another go tonight again and see how I can do. I feel like anything longer than an hour would be a decent stint anyways so well see but definitely feeling slightly better now.

The only thing that got me in my play session today was side stepping while moving the character in the world forward. I got a tinge of vertigo for a few seconds whenever I did that.

I really want to play through this farpoint though I don't know how long it is but man it's really amazing!!

**Edit**

I've been out now for 20 minutes, definitely feeling some after effects but its not as bad as yesterday. I think trying Rigs again before Farpoint really threw me off yesterday.

You picked the absolutely worst game to test yourself, or more like challenge.
Rigs is definitely the most nauseating with robots flying around, shooting up skies and deploying with drops.

You should try out something like Superhot.

MattAces, I just impulse purchased Dick Wilde because of you.

Add that to my laundry list of "Bought but haven't beaten."

Try out dual pistol or shotgun+shield. Most gun will have alternate fire, like shotgun can turn into laser sight sniper and nail gun can turn into slow fire but precision gun.
My favorite is still dual pistol. As for Aim, nail gun is definitely the best.
Make sure you have a great set up with camera high up pointing down because you will be hugging the floor a lot. Also you will have nightmares on fishes and projectiles jumping to your face.

dmix90

Someone asked about hot lapping in one of the GT Sport VR videos and looks like there is no way to drive alone in that mode. What the fuck? What the hell are you smoking Polyphony.

MattAces

Some No Heroes Allowed VR impression from reddit.
k6mGGsS.jpg

Coming from someone who'd previously played the PSP version of the game, where you would create and manage a dungeon, i was interested on how this would translate over to a 3D virtual environment. The core of the game is the same, you still manage an army of monsters, breeding them together to defend yourself. However, instead of it being based in a dungeon where you were able to set up a maze and kill zones for the hapless heroes to wander into, this time around you're based above ground, and attempting to conquer land and the heroes castle's while defending your own. While this change has lost a bit of customisation in terms of making your own base for example, it's definitely gained enough through map variations.
It's quite simple, the first few missions you're guided through the game and controls, how to manage your monsters, breed them together, what eats what etc.
The game is campaign based, you move on from kingdom to kingdom taking over, so you can complete it. There's a day/night cycle and the heroes get tougher and more reinforcements with each passing day. I'm not sure whether there's a survival mode or anything just yet as i'm still quite early in, but if you do complete a level with an "S" rank you're able to reattempt it against more, and higher level, enemies. This can be done repeatedly if you then S rank again and so on, so there's replayability.

Uhm, guys I need this game.

I set my camera really high up (approx 2 or 3 heads higher than my own head) at about 1.7-1.8 meters and had a fantastic time with almost no tracking issues playing ancient amuletor, even when shooting into the sky (just to see if I had occlusion problems).

The only time I had any issues was shooting enemies far to my right, since my right hand would become occluded when pulling the string, I assume this wouldn't be an issue in a game where I can reposition and rotate myself, since it's not comfortable to shoot a bow to your right anyway.

I think I'm gonna go for Raw Data in a few minutes. The devs owe you a sale, Matt! Thanks a lot. And don't worry, if I end up disliking it it's certainly not your fault!

MattAces

I set my camera really high up (approx 2 or 3 heads higher than my own head) at about 1.7-1.8 meters and had a fantastic time with almost no tracking issues playing ancient amuletor, even when shooting into the sky (just to see if I had occlusion problems).

The only time I had any issues was shooting enemies far to my right, since my right hand would become occluded when pulling the string, I assume this wouldn't be an issue in a game where I can reposition and rotate myself, since it's not comfortable to shoot a bow to your right anyway.

I think I'm gonna go for Raw Data in a few minutes. The devs owe you a sale, Matt! Thanks a lot. And don't worry, if I end up disliking it it's certainly not your fault!

Yep at the second paragraph. You will be rotating and moving a lot, so most of the time you will be focusing only front.
standing further away from camera will cover a wider playing field, so you can shoot left and right but most of the time try to know the limitation from the camera view, then you should be fine.

Are you sitting while doing this?

I have a mic stand and put the camera facing down on me where I sit.

I was having some issues with light occlusion playing Dino Frontier with this setup, so I shifted the camera so it was looking down on my from a diagonal angle. This made head tracking act kind if weird... When I turned my head left and right, the tracking would kind of point slightly upwards the further left or right I looked.

Has anyone figured out a way to have the camera not directly in front of you and maintain good head tracking?

I change my set up for every different game. Head height pointing down for most of the standing game (I play mostly standing anyway unless it's a DS4 game)
Sitting game I will move it down to mount on my monitor, which is sitting head height pointing slightly downward to detect Move.
Raw Data is a little special for me, head height pointing straight so that it detect my arms extending to the ceiling.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.

Are you sitting while doing this?

I have a mic stand and put the camera facing down on me where I sit.

I was having some issues with light occlusion playing Dino Frontier with this setup, so I shifted the camera so it was looking down on my from a diagonal angle. This made head tracking act kind if weird... When I turned my head left and right, the tracking would kind of point slightly upwards the further left or right I looked.

Has anyone figured out a way to have the camera not directly in front of you and maintain good head tracking?

MattAces

Some info on Torn VR
Published by Aspyr (Layers of Fear, Observer, Civ6)
Not sure who is the developer
Torn, a mystery inspired by such classics as The Twilight Zone, is set in the Vermont forest where you discover a house full of secrets. What you find in there are numerous experiments, inventions, gear and documentation that reveal a lot about the doctor who lived there–however they’re also remnants of a man who’s been missing for 64 years.
Torn-Aspyr-Screenshot1.jpg

Torn-Aspyr-Screenshot2.jpg

Torn-Aspyr-Screenshot3.jpg

Torn-Aspyr-Screenshot4.jpg

MattAces

End of the Beginning (part of the 60+ 2018 games)
Non VR gameplay, seems a little too promising? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkUyl1b96BE

This looks absolutely like the type of game where they promise a bunch of stuff and will never deliver something close to it. It will end up being super unoptimized and canceled for console. Still, weird to see this is part of the PS Blog list.
I mean, look at their YouTube Channel banner...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCD-f9A_AyRj5n6JunXV9_Cw

MattAces

This thread should be renamed to the "do it, buy Raw Data" thread because that's how it is making me feel haha

I'm very surprised by the amount of people who did not buy Raw Data early.
So many people are waiting for impression, which is great because Pro patch is dropping next week, hopefully.

What's recommended from that huge sale happening right now? I was looking at I Expect You To Die, is that game good? Is PSVR Worlds worth getting?

The VR games I already have are Superhot, Thumper, Batman VR.

MattAces

Some more GT Sport VR. Looking great.

https://youtu.be/otYyKOqPPV8

I love the part at the end where he looks at the flag official.

And another, at night.

https://youtu.be/zK65D52z9xo

That is a whole lot of tracks. Also seems like some are locked behind level progression.
There's time setting, Morning/Night. A lot of cars.

Out of all the VR stuff that has been leaked the only bit I actually want to see is the menus and no one has shown them. Do we get to choose the time of day for the track, are the difficulty settings more like quick race or like custom race in arcade, if it is simpler can we still adjust the boost setting, what tracks are available, do we have all cars available from the get go or is it like the rest of arcade mode with a small selection and the rest are through the garage, Do you earn credits and contribute to other stats such as milage and rank. How do we adjust position is it like the standard adjustment for driver view or is it before the race.

bumpkin

I keep going back to the anniversary sale in the store and eyeball'ing other games to grab. Has anyone picked up Sneaky Bears? Is it worth $5?

mrndkra

Ugh I was ready to jump in last month and buy a headset and then they announced the updated headset. Really wish they'd announce a release date in NA. Really want to buy one but not when it's already the old model.

I keep going back to the anniversary sale in the store and eyeball'ing other games to grab. Has anyone picked up Sneaky Bears? Is it worth $5?
haven't put much time into it so far, but I'd say so. The writing and voice acting is pretty good, the image quality is sharp as a tack, and its a perfectly cromulent wave shooter.

Lakuza

What's recommended from that huge sale happening right now? I was looking at I Expect You To Die, is that game good? Is PSVR Worlds worth getting?

The VR games I already have are Superhot, Thumper, Batman VR.

I expect you to die is good but you can complete it in an hour or two. Luckily the devs are working on new missions so if the price is good in the sale (I havent seen the price but I got it on sale myself on pc) its worth investing in and then you'll have a new scenario to play every couple of months. The next one is coming this month or the next (Im assuming its hitting all platforms at the same time).

Top Bottom