• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Thread 2: Reloaded

bumpkin

What's recommended from that huge sale happening right now? I was looking at I Expect You To Die, is that game good? Is PSVR Worlds worth getting?

The VR games I already have are Superhot, Thumper, Batman VR.
I think PSVR Worlds is incredibly underrated. It’s a no-brainer at the sale price.

IEYTD is good, just short. It’s good at giving you little “ah ha” moments and they nailed the atmosphere of old-school Bond flicks.

ThaNostalgic1

Neo Member
Thanks for all the advice everyone! I'm going to get the ps4 pro and if they announce the new psvr will be coming out before the end of the year then I will get that.

Thanks for all the advice everyone! I'm going to get the ps4 pro and if they announce the new psvr will be coming out before the end of the year then I will get that.

Good plan, I knew I liked you from the second I saw that avatar (we are!)

So I got Raw Data... IT DELIVERS. This game is so much fun and entertaining from the jump. Controls are tight and grabbing your weapons from their holsters never gets old. Menus and UI are the only really confusing thing. No clue how to switch characters or if I even can right now, but I'm sure I'll figure it out.

MattAces

Good plan, I knew I liked you from the second I saw that avatar (we are!)

So I got Raw Data... IT DELIVERS. This game is so much fun and entertaining from the jump. Controls are tight and grabbing your weapons from their holsters never gets old. Menus and UI are the only really confusing thing. No clue how to switch characters or if I even can right now, but I'm sure I'll figure it out.
You can switch character immediately, click on character icon before begin mission. And yea the Hub can be confusing, every single time I launch the game it tells me CHECK OUT TUTORIAL. I’ve finished tutorial at least 6 times now, still missing that trophy.
As for the game itself, it gets so much better later on. You can clearly see the progress of development throughout the missions.
I love how they are just breaking a lot of PSVR rules and funny enough it works, which ended up delivering quite a new experience for us. Something like taking weapon from your back where the lightbulb will be completely blocked or dual hand wielding a single weapon whether it is katana or shotgun. You have to manually pump the chamber every fire.

sparc or raw data

what say you, fam?
If you weren’t a fan of Arizona Sunshine Move control, you might not like it here. But I will say it’s MUCH improved here with walking backward/strafe left/right available as button instead of pointing and pressing move. It takes some time but I think they’ve perfected the Move control scheme with this. Keep in mind this is an extremely fast paced game, while controls are improved, you will be constantly moving around, making it even harder.

Robbok

I have a problem with my PSVR: the screen is tilted to the left. I recalibrated, and tried to move the camera to fix it, but nothing helps. Via google i found some ppl with the same problem, but no fix. The silly thing is, the calibration screens, where you put your face in this square for proper fitting is straight, but when game starts, the screen is tilted. Choosing biggest screen helps a bit, but it’s still annoying. Any ideas?

MattAces

I have a problem with my PSVR: the screen is tilted to the left. I recalibrated, and tried to move the camera to fix it, but nothing helps. Via google i found some ppl with the same problem, but no fix. The silly thing is, the calibration screens, where you put your face in this square for proper fitting is straight, but when game starts, the screen is tilted. Choosing biggest screen helps a bit, but it’s still annoying. Any ideas?

I assume tilted in VR?
You should be focusing camera left lens only, that is the center point. You can also tilt your camera and mount it other places. I used to have that problem, for some reason it's gone now. Other stuff you can try is while PSVR is booting, boot it up from a flat surface, leave it there for 1 minute before using it, that helps calibration on boot up.

Robbok

Yeah u r right, it’s tilted in VR.
I tried all the things you said, but with no success. I think I will test it with a different camera from a friend, to see if cam or headset is the problem. Thanx for your response.

Guppeth

Yeah u r right, it's tilted in VR.
I tried all the things you said, but with no success. I think I will test it with a different camera from a friend, to see if cam or headset is the problem. Thanx for your response.

I had the same issue and I tried all kinds of things to fix it. It got better on its own and I have no idea why.

Least helpful post ever, I know...

Actually it wasn't exactly the same. Menus were tilted (it was VERY noticeable with the quick menu) but in-game I didn't notice the tilt.

joeblow

I have a problem with my PSVR: the screen is tilted to the left. I recalibrated, and tried to move the camera to fix it, but nothing helps. Via google i found some ppl with the same problem, but no fix. The silly thing is, the calibration screens, where you put your face in this square for proper fitting is straight, but when game starts, the screen is tilted. Choosing biggest screen helps a bit, but it's still annoying. Any ideas?

I finally found a solution. =)

The issue has been a nuisance for me since launch, but your post made me look again for a fix. I found a suggestion that seems to be working.... with the headset turned on, take it off, turn it upside down and lay it on a flat surface for a bit. After putting back on, all my tilt problems disappeared. I tested it on Rez and Re7, and even though I only performed the fix once, it continued to work.

Hopefully it is consistent. Even if I have to do it every time I turn on the VR headset it is better than how it was before.

joeblow

*WHOA!*

As it turns out, putting the headset upside down for awhile before putting it on also seems to fix Cinema Mode drift! I only tested it on a single 3D Bluray movie, but for 30 minutes, I didn't get any drift whatsoever after this calibration technique (I have to go to bed, so I didn't test it longer).

I started first with medium view, and it was rock solid for 20 minutes. I then switched to the largest view, and laid down on my back on the sofa. Despite the weird angle (which required an initial re-centering with the option button), the view stayed fixed and never drifted in that 10 minutes or so. Just earlier today I was watching a film and had to recenter it every five minutes as the drift was constant.

Some of you guys who've had the same problem, please test it with both disc movies and non-VR games. It'd be awesome if this is a legit fix.

EDIT: I had to try it again, so I fired up Parappa the Rapper for a 2D game test. It's the kind of game that is good for the headset because the rhythm timing benefits from the lagless display. So I brought my PS4 out of sleep mode, turned on the VR unit, but did NOT calibrate it to see what would happen (went back to the medium screen).

I played the entire game (takes about 15 minutes) and decided to calibrate it halfway through because I could detect slight drift. Not as much as before, but there. So that means for best results (if this method holds up), it might be necessary to calibrate it at least once every time you turn the headset on. After I did so, there were no drifting issues for the rest of the game.

Taker666

Yeah u r right, it's tilted in VR.

I had a similar problem with the old style camera and stand...turned out the left side was maybe raised by just a millimeter higher when the right side was clipped in tight. I think the stand is slightly warped so just loosening the right side slightly corrected the issue.

If you've got the old style camera and stand..maybe try that..or if you don't have a stand/have the new camera, maybe try a thin dot of modelling clay//sticky tack under one side of the camera to raise it slightly to correct the tilt. If the camera isn't perfectly level it will register as the headset being tilted..a millimeter tilt on the camera itself looks like nothing but by the time that tiny tilt reaces the massive virtual screen in front of you it can be very noticeable.

Robbok

Thanx for reply but I even used a spirit level. So I can totally rule out the camera is tilted.
Can’t wait for end of the work day to test that upside down thing.

People are still getting drift? Damn. I haven't had drift for about 8 month, though that is when a dev commented about the flat surface trick when turning on and I might have a habit of always turning it on before I pick it up.

MattAces

People are still getting drift? Damn. I haven't had drift for about 8 month, though that is when a dev commented about the flat surface trick when turning on and I might have a habit of always turning it on before I pick it up.

Yep. Same case here, haven't had any drift since that magical flat surface trick.
Now it's a ritual for me before playing PSVR. I will leave it there, switch on the aircond, toilet, drink a cup of water.

Before that it was so damn frustrating, so I absolutely know how they feel, especially that tilted problem, got me really sick in Battlezone.
I was skeptical about that flat surface trick until they explained it, which makes sense. Especially all of those pretty much flawless convention/expo/public demo impression. In between session, PSVR is always powered on and left on a flat surface.

Manage to sell my old ass copy of Far Cry 4 for $20, might buy me a copy of No Heroes Allowed soon.

Hey Matt, got Raw Data. Tracking is pretty much flawless just as you said.

The sword is pretty much unusable for me. I can't get used to the walking locomotion (I really need sticks like in Farpoint) and teleporting just within range of enemies is so awkward. Also I am having so many issues reflecting back bullets, the hitbox is ridiculously small, so I can't freaking kill the drones (sword throw is too tough to pull off when drones are far away too). So yeah, Saija is totally unplayable for me and it's not a tracking problem.

On the other hand I've had a few technical issues even though I have only played for about 2 hours. The ground crawling enemies getting stuck to my feet and becoming invulnerable to anything except the bullet storm, some sequences randomly failing to trigger (the first time I booted it up, literally the first thing I saw was DEAD and the initial in-game sequence failing to trigger, then one time my hand got stuck to the holographic panel in the main campaign menu and couldn't do shit). I've hard to close and restart the game many times because it simply gets stuck and stops functioning (bringing up the pause menu, it comes up but it's empty). Not a good show technically.

But not everything is bad: The pistol dude is fucking great. The tracking is almost flawless. You can tell that the rotation of your wrist is off by a couple degrees every time you move your hands, so you need to make small adjustments for distant shots, but it really is impressive considering the tech in play here. It's exhilarating and the PS Move mostly stays out of the way of your enjoyment.

So yeah, not perfect, and the game design certainly could be better in a few aspects, but if they can sort out the technical issues this'll be one of my best PSVR games until DOOM VFR comes out. It truly shows the potential performance of the PS Moves in the right hands.

MattAces

Hey Matt, got Raw Data. Tracking is pretty much flawless just as you said.

The sword is pretty much unusable for me. I can't get used to the walking locomotion (I really need sticks like in Farpoint) and teleporting just within range of enemies is so awkward. Also I am having so many issues reflecting back bullets, the hitbox is ridiculously small, so I can't freaking kill the drones (sword throw is too tough to pull off when drones are far away too). So yeah, Saija is totally unplayable for me and it's not a tracking problem.

On the other hand I've had a few technical issues even though I have only played for about 2 hours. The ground crawling enemies getting stuck to my feet and becoming invulnerable to anything except the bullet storm, some sequences randomly failing to trigger (the first time I booted it up, literally the first thing I saw was DEAD and the initial in-game sequence failing to trigger, then one time my hand got stuck to the holographic panel in the main campaign menu and couldn't do shit). I've hard to close and restart the game many times because it simply gets stuck and stops functioning (bringing up the pause menu, it comes up but it's empty). Not a good show technically.

But not everything is bad: The pistol dude is fucking great. The tracking is almost flawless. You can tell that the rotation of your wrist is off by a couple degrees every time you move your hands, so you need to make small adjustments for distant shots, but it really is impressive considering the tech in play here. It's exhilarating and the PS Move mostly stays out of the way of your enjoyment.

So yeah, not perfect, and the game design certainly could be better in a few aspects, but if they can sort out the technical issues this'll be one of my best PSVR games until DOOM VFR comes out. It truly shows the potential performance of the PS Moves in the right hands.

In terms of character difficulty, I would say Saija>Elder>Boss>Bishop

And yes, you absolutely need to master the control before playing Saija or else you will just be hugging enemies. While using Saija, I rarely teleport, I just move around dual hand slashing, which also takes some time to get used to. The second or third skill unlock is shadow blade, allows you to tackle flying drone with that sword energy skill. I almost never throw my blade. As for blocking, it works really well for me, but an alternative way to tackle drones will be laser turret.

For the glitchy part, I saw some posts about this, did you pick left handed? Seems to be the buggy there and the dev acknowledged it. But yea, some rough edges here and there but nothing major for me so far apart from the game freaking out and shut off the music. Hopefully they will iron out these issue alongside with Pro patch. It's a great point for you to start learning Move-movement control scheme, since Skyrim/Doom will most likely adapt similar layout.
Anyway if you are in early mission, the game might be a average, but just progress through, after unlocking a bunch of abilities in later levels, it gets REALLY good.

Yeah, just got done with Mission 3. Missing many upgrades still. And no, I'm right handed, so I picked that.

What would you say is better overall, teleporting or walking? If walking makes a big difference I should start working on that.

As for Doom VFR, it uses teleporting AFAIK.

MattAces

Yeah, just got done with Mission 3. Missing many upgrades still. And no, I'm right handed, so I picked that.

What would you say is better overall, teleporting or walking? If walking makes a big difference I should start working on that.

As for Doom VFR, it uses teleporting AFAIK.

I walk all the time during my first 5 hours, are you using full teleport? Because with walking option, you can still teleport by pressing Move button twice.
I can't imagine playing the game full teleport especially for later levels, you will need to walk backward while shooting enemies a lot.

Doom VFR PS Blog DE blog post actually mentioned strafing forward/left/right with PSMove will be in, they could be implying other things but in Vive version, they've confirmed free walking is in with teleport.

I have almost 10 hours of footage in my youtube, 2 crashes after completing mission, 1 music switched off, 1 where enemy ragdoll freaks out, not the most polished game but nothing major for me in terms of gameplay.

Edit: You seriously need to opt in for walking if you're using full teleport, Saija is unplayable with that. Also explains why enemies are stuck at your feet. I started utilizing teleport on Hard difficulty because enemy spawns a lot across the map, after teleporting to that specific area I continue walking around. The control works very well for me it felt like I'm using a thumbstick, I will move my thumb around X, move button and O, sliding around.

About 400 000 users played Resident Evil 7 in VR, according to Capcom estimations. RE.net has 291K right now, but as you know it only tracks those who agreed to share their data. The source is Capcom France from a paid article about PS VR first year on Gamekult.

Just unlocked the dual guns in raw data, holy shit. Total game changer. Tracking remains very good throughout even when doing DMC gun-fu. I'm very impressed.

I had no idea walking mode allowed you to teleport. Thanks a lot Matt, will try that in an hour or so!

MattAces

For fuck sake, that person who is buying my Far Cry 4 copy is a scammer.
Oh well, delaying my purchase of No Heroes Allowed then.

What a poor attempt at scamming.
He's in Europe right now, have to ship it.
Told me to follow certain step after sending me two emails, suggesting that he had already transferred $220, I will have to transfer back $200 to receive that $20. Did a quick google search at that email, scam alert.

wilflare

how many of you are getting the new PSVR revision?
(when is it launching?)

thinking of selling off my PSVR to get the revised model (I have a HDR television)

Shoeless

how many of you are getting the new PSVR revision?
(when is it launching?)

thinking of selling off my PSVR to get the revised model (I have a HDR television)

No plans for me. I have no HDR TV, and I'm pretty happy with current set of headphone, so no need for me to switch out. I'll probably get PSVR 2 if there's a new unit designed to go with the PS5.

Hopefully at that point 4K displays on VR headsets will be viable and the PS5 will be able to handle it.

MattAces

Anybody got into Rec Room beta?
Seems like it's happening very soon or is happening now.

Rec Room UPDATE - the "PSVR Soft Launch" edition!

Here's what's new in this update!

For the first time, Rec Room is available to PSVR players! For now, it's a very limited beta, and they are not yet mixed with the "general population". But this is a huge milestone, and it means that soon there'll be even more friends from all around the world to play with!
giphy.webp

• Paintball - Bows are now a supported weapon in custom games!
  • New Toys in the Sandbox Machine - we've added a bunch of new stuff in the Sandbox Machine. We've focused mainly on scenery and decorations (including the oft-requested Quest "flat trees"), so you can start to experiment with building your own layouts. Want a campfire in The Lounge? Sure why not:
  • We've made it possible to import only selected friends, or skip friend importing entirely. Handy when creating new profiles!
We've also revamped our initial tutorial with the goal of making Rec Room easier for new players:
  • We now teach the handshake (add friend), fist bump (party up), and Stop (mute/ignore/report) gestures so more users are aware of these.
  • We highlight the Code of Conduct more prominently during the tutorial.
  • Keyboard now has shortcuts for common email addresses (e.g., "@gmail") to minimize typing!
  • We're trying something different with weekly challenges - we're going to release just one skin per week, but focus on making that skin a little more special.
  • Quest - we tweaked the way teams advanced through the level. Now, when everyone gathers on the unlock pad, the whole team will go together when someone teleports through the door. The goal is to minimize players racing ahead, as well as addressing some technical issues.
  • Disc Golf - scoring is now fixed! Sorry about that... lots of work going on behind the scenes right now so this fix took us longer than we wanted.

ChouGoku

I got the RE7 DLC and the nightmare mode is fun. You know that something could be around the corner and makes the game extremely tense again. Not a hero should be fun, melee should make it more interesting.

Briarios

I Expect You to Die is fantastic ... obviously short, as everyone has said, but so much fun figuring out the puzzles, even if you get them right away. It's also a game I think my whole family will play, which adds a lot to the value. For the sale price, I definitely recommend it.

I Expect You to Die is fantastic ... obviously short, as everyone has said, but so much fun figuring out the puzzles, even if you get them right away. It's also a game I think my whole family will play, which adds a lot to the value. For the sale price, I definitely recommend it.

Yup. Most fun i've had just watching friends try it out :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKU_19WDL28
Bugatti Vision in Nürburgring VR.

Damn. with that visual, amount of cars and tracks, could've made a full game out of it.

Hopefully they will add more to it further down the line such as the ability to do time trails and customs parameters per race. Considering how much I warmed to the online racing (I normally hate online racing due to the bumper car mentality of most player) its a shame that I can't do it in VR because even in the short demo I had some of the best online racing I have ever experienced.

Crazy. Just bought 18 games. Kept it to the cheaper ones, but my backlog is now a mile long. I may not come back to the real world!

Great sale. Looking forward to holiday sales to pick up the rest of the really good games I'm missing.

I played a few games this weekend, IEYTDand statik are great. 100% recommended.

Dick Wilde is competent but boring, not what I wanted at all. Rush of Blood is better and more fun.

Arizona Sunshine is a piece of shit, hs, how can some of you recommend this crap. Ugly, buggy, boring, expensive, absolutely terrible, avoid this POS. I genuinely feel ripped.

MattAces

I played a few games this weekend, IEYTDand statik are great. 100% recommended.

Dick Wilde is competent but boring, not what I wanted at all. Rush of Blood is better and more fun.

Arizona Sunshine is a piece of shit, hs, how can some of you recommend this crap. Ugly, buggy, boring, expensive, absolutely terrible, avoid this POS. I genuinely feel ripped.

If AS is bad with Move, give it a chance again with Aim. It's a pretty different game with that.
The gameplay structure is pretty samey, but the later environments are great.
The dark cave, sniper section, housing area
really defined the game. Mess around with the settings, enable smooth movement etc.

Top Bottom