• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Thread 2: Reloaded

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I'm still debating if my first Arizona Sunshine playthrough should be Move or Aim. Kind of want to try out Move controller movement first.

After playing Arizona Sunshine on the vive, I think it would be better with the moves. You'll want to be holding two guns and independently aim them... or have a grenade in one hand ready to toss while shooting with the other.

Also, it's really fun to rifle through drawers, chests, car boots, etc by grabbing them with your hand and pulling them open.

Oh also you need to hold a flashlight in one hand and a gun in the other in certain sections, and attaching the flashlight to the end of the gun would take a bit away from the experience.

RoyalFool

Banned
Loving all the new folks picking this up after the E3 announcements. Welcome to the real next-gen!

Played some Chess Ultra earlier, quite surprised at how effective it is in PSVR. The environments are very nice and really help you zone out and just focus on the game

Apart from the stupid apartment level with the randomly buzzing cell-phone. grrr

Wehrwolf

Welcome all new owners, I made you a little something! :D

youboughtapsvrfcu5j.gif

Normally I would get a much better image quality by saving an anim-PNG and converting that to GIF, but somehow that adds erroneous artefacts in this case. :(

This is awesome and so are you.

Planet

Does Arizona Sunshine even have Pro support?
Extensively so, and the video was shot using one. But the output is apparently from the social screen, which is taken from one eye's view and unwarped, which has some negative effect on the quality.

UploadVR described their hands-on experience as closer to the original than they thought, quite faithful. Took the developer a lot of optimization effort to get there. But there simply is no denying the PS4 (even Pro) can't keep up with a VR PC. How could it possibly?

I'm perfectly confident it will look and play well enough.

I'll tell you what I really want to play AS with is two of these. I've tried to find them at local GameStops, but none seem to have any pre-owned.

Although I suppose they'd feel weird when it came to having to pick stuff up, especially if AS employs the T + Move button combo for grabbing.

I don't believe that this gun will work.

When we use a move as a gun we use it with an inclination as we could use a real gun.
so with this peripheral, maybe you have to target up to shoot straight.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
So two things:

1. Getting the last trophy for Holoball is maddening

2. I finally started up Time Machine VR, which is actually a quite a bit more than the short cinematic experience I thought it would be. How come it doesnt get talked about.. at all? Cool thing with some impressive surroundings and some engaging little mechanics.

bumpkin

Extensively so, and the video was shot using one. But the output is apparently from the social screen, which is taken from one eye's view and unwarped, which has some negative effect on the quality.

UploadVR described their hands-on experience as closer to the original than they thought, quite faithful. Took the developer a lot of optimization effort to get there. But there simply is no denying the PS4 (even Pro) can't keep up with a VR PC. How could it possibly?

I'm perfectly confident it will look and play well enough.
I'm not buying the social screen excuse, that is a very steep downgrade from the PC VR version. Some people in the comments are saying it looks like a zombie game for phones and I can't say I disagree. Very, very disappointed. Graphics aren't everything, but when the game is so thin on atmosphere, it can't look ho-hum too. I'll have to wait for PSVR-GAF impressions before I decide to bite.

That said, I am happy that other devs are supporting the Aim.

MattAces

I'm not buying the social screen excuse, that is a very steep downgrade from the PC VR version. Some people in the comments are saying it looks like a zombie game for phones and I can't say I disagree. Very, very disappointed. Graphics aren't everything, but when the game is so thin on atmosphere, it can't look ho-hum too. I'll have to wait for PSVR-GAF impressions before I decide to bite.

That said, I am happy that other devs are supporting the Aim.

Hmm, but every preview I've read were praising how close the PS4 Pro version was to the PC and all of them are specialized VR news site, to be fair the game was never the best looking VR game to begin with. They made a lot of tricky changes in the game to achieve that, one of the interesting one is how they handle the zombie ragdoll. On PC, previously only limited to i7 CPU feature was dismemberment and proper ragdoll. On PS4, it couldn't handle ragdoll, so they've made hundreds of different zombie death animation as a replacement.

ChouGoku

I really hope Elite:dangnerous comes to PSVR. I was just playing Eve:Valkyrie with the Interstellar OST on, it was fucking glorious. A game where the planets are more than a background that you cant even get close to. Please!!!

Normally I would get a much better image quality by saving an anim-PNG and converting that to GIF, but somehow that adds erroneous artefacts in this case. :(
Love it!

For whomever wishes, feel free to make use of this Shuhei GIF I made a while back too :D

giphy.gif

CEJames

youboughtapsvrfcu5j.gif

Awesome! Finally, someone made it :)

MattAces

Damn it, $10 for $7 out of stock. I was about to register a second account with my second number to buy it again. Oh well, manage to grab one.
Going to top up $50 for Arizona Sunshine and Super Hot soon.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Farpoint and aim controller arrived, woop. Are there other worthwhile games for the controlller?

ranmafan

I feel so lucky today. After hearing good things about Farpoint I looked into its availability in Japan. It came out today here, but I had been checking amazon and places for the bundle and it was pre sold out for a long time. However they had the aim controller in stock but at a very high price. I kept thinking about getting it but eventually it went out of stock today before I could order one. For some reason after that I decided to check one of the big electronic stores sites for the controller and when I checked, the store had the bundle, on sale for just a tad more than the controlller by itself. So I went ahead and ordered it as I couldn't pass up that deal. Good thing too, cause it looks like I may have gotten the last one they had as they were sold out when I checked again after ordering it. So I'm very happy. Can't wait to try it out this weekend!

Toma

Speaking of Farpoint... it is the real deal. Sure, its pretty generic setting and gameplay wise, but the visuals are great, the aim controller really adds to the immersion and they did a pretty good job at making the game challenging, so that many situation feel genuinely threatening.

Also I am pretty surprised I managed to play 2 hours straight. VR legs are real.

darkwing

yup Farpoint was the first VR game I played, I didn't get VR sickness even after an hour

hopefully Sony makes more of those bundles

These last two days of work are going to drag! My PSVR and copy of Until Dawn: Rush of Blood are set to arrive by tomorrow evening. I'm clearing away some space for it today and I've got the VR Demo Disc, X-Wing VR Mission, PlayroomVR, and Call of Duty: Jackal Assault all downloaded and ready to go.

My tv faces a window - so I'm guessing my best bet would be to have the blinds closed up and try to make the room as dimly lit as possible to ensure the camera/moves function well? Or do they fair pretty well in brighter rooms?

darkwing

These last two days of work are going to drag! My PSVR and copy of Until Dawn: Rush of Blood are set to arrive by tomorrow evening. I'm clearing away some space for it today and I've got the VR Demo Disc, X-Wing VR Mission, PlayroomVR, and Call of Duty: Jackal Assault all downloaded and ready to go.

My tv faces a window - so I'm guessing my best bet would be to have the blinds closed up and try to make the room as dimly lit as possible to ensure the camera/moves function well? Or do they fair pretty well in brighter rooms?

it works better on dim rooms because the camera tracks the lights, it's going to lose to the sunlight

oh download the RE7 demo lol that is one scary demo

yup Farpoint was the first VR game I played, I didn't get VR sickness even after an hour

hopefully Sony makes more of those bundles

You will get motion sickness if the back stick is used for turning. I nearly collapsed, my legs were buckling when I played MP with free turn (after about 1+ hour). Played the whole campaign with no free turn and I was fine.

But yeah Farpoint was amazing. Aiming with that gun. 👌

darkwing

You will get motion sickness if the back button is used for turning. I nearly collapsed, my legs were buckling when I played MP with free turn. Played the whole campaign with no free turn and I was fine.

But yeah Farpoint was amazing. Aiming with that gun. 👌

yeah, the 30 degree works best, the smooth turn was vomit inducing, same in RE7

it works better on dim rooms because the camera tracks the lights, it's going to lose to the sunlight

oh download the RE7 demo lol that is one scary demo

haha - I love all things horror but horror games really get to me. There's some that I just really struggle through. That being said, I'm gonna download it and try but I expect to have it turned off and deleted within minutes lol

It does well in a bright room, the camera doesn't like direct sunlight though so if you have south facing windows in the northern hemisphere and directly across from where the camera will be facing it can be a bit of a pain. If you can calibrate the lights on the headset via the VR settings at your optimal play time this will get the best results. Also the camera doesn't need to be on your TV, I personally found having it on the TV restrictive as I wanted to be able to play in multiple locations quickly and easily as you don't need the TV for use but not all of the places I could sit/stand were good options for sticking it on the TV. To achieve this there are many different options such as mic stands, tripods, double-C clamps (what I use) with a bit of forethought you can create really practical cheap solutions that look good with little to no set up each time you want to use it.

Toma

You will get motion sickness if the back stick is used for turning. I nearly collapsed, my legs were buckling when I played MP with free turn (after about 1+ hour). Played the whole campaign with no free turn and I was fine.

But yeah Farpoint was amazing. Aiming with that gun. ��

I was pretty susceptible to RE7 turning, but Farpoint... worked. No clue why and I havent played VR in months. Maybe I did build up some resistance.

majik13

I was pretty susceptile to RE7 turning, but Farpoint... worked. No clue why and I havent played VR in months. Maybe I did build up some resistance.

digital turning in VR is really susceptible to how close you are to geometry(or how fast things move in your periphery). So Farpoint being outside, and RE7 being mostly in corridors is why there would be a difference in comfort.

MattAces

Oof. VR Worlds is $40? As someone not new to VR, is that price worth it?

uhm no... I love it though. You can easily find one used/cheap copy. Only the head balling game, London Heist (one of the best early PSVR experience) are worthy. Although SPARC is coming soon. Still worth it if you can find it for $10 or $20, London Heist is really good.

mattmanp

Oof. VR Worlds is $40? As someone not new to VR, is that price worth it?

Not to me. London Heist and Ocean Descent are cool but rest didn't do much for me and not really much replayability. Much better games available now. For instance Battlezone has good replay value and Robinson: The Journey is very immersive.

Top Bottom