• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Thread 2: Reloaded

darkwing

yeah it's not worth $40 , London Heist with the shooting gallery is probably worth like $15 or so, that's the only one game worth it in the package

I got it free with my basic package plus a Move controller

MattAces

Ancient Amulator gunner trailer, was this posted? Since it was uploaded maybe 12 hours ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzDGKBuqR6Y

Also this game was announced months ago, and doesn't seem to be in the OP. Looks like Infinity Blade Light Saber.
Reborn VR
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDAjZzsakrA
RebornScreenshot02.jpg

RebornScreenshot01.jpg

majik13

Oof. VR Worlds is $40? As someone not new to VR, is that price worth it?

yeah Id say its worth it for 15-20 mainly for London Heist, some of the other games are worth checking out though, but not much replay value for those.

Also this game was announced months ago, and doesn't seem to be in the OP. Looks like Infinity Blade Light Saber.
Reborn VR
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDAjZzsakrA

Looks cool, but kinda funny with the third person action sequences/cinematics? look nothing like the actual gameplay. Since you dont really move at all, or attack as fast.

MattAces

This game looks amazing.
Here is the reveal trailer if someone has not seen it
Theseus
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBNaSNPXyoU
coming summer 2017 on PSVR

Seems a little late to create a thread for it, maybe I'll wait for the next trailer. More people should see this, to shoot down those VR tech demo post.

Looks cool, but kinda funny with the third person action sequences/cinematics? look nothing like the actual gameplay. Since you dont really move at all, or attack as fast.

https://twitter.com/SandboxStrat/status/841024627539341313
Hmm yea, i have no high hopes for their games, but hey, it is a infinity blade like game with light saber. If the game has depth, I will definitely cave in.

Also there's an Elite Dangerous PS4 Livestream, don't waste your time watching it, they already mention they have no updates on PSVR yet and they wanted to address it immediately because the chat was spamming VR question. (although they didn't shoot down PSVR support).

Oof. VR Worlds is $40? As someone not new to VR, is that price worth it?

It's definitely worth $20. I paid $30 and have no regrets.

It's the perfect introduction to VR game. The intro and interactive menu is a great way to show someone the possibilities of VR and I always use the Ocean Descent shark attack as my friends and familys' first VR experience.

London Heist is pretty good but basically zero replayability.

The luge game pretty neat and unlike any other PSVR games. The sports game is fun too.

darkwing

just got Eve, and this game kicked me good, I'm getting VR sickness because I was playing around with the yaw/pitch/invert settings

Rixxan

After months and months my favorite game is still Dick Wilde

I find the experiences that match your physical position (seated, basically) are the most enjoyable, with the least motion sickness - and this one actually has a pretty fun game experience to go along with it

Anything else similar to Dick Wilde out there? Any other recs?

darkwing

I find the experiences that match your physical position (seated, basically) are the most enjoyable, with the least motion sickness - and this one actually has a pretty fun game experience to go along with it

it's simple but the shooting galleries in London Heist in VR Worlds? also Ancient Amulator?

Glix

So I finally booted up Herocade for a few minutes last night...

I was not very impressed with the space invaders game I was playing, seemed poorly thought out...

Yet, I'm still blown away by just being in almost any VR space. I've had the HMD since launch day, I play all the time... and the magic NEVER wears off. Its just the coolest fucking thing in the world. Full disclosure, I'm usually stoned, if that makes any difference.

Mortal Blitz is similar in that you are shooting and ducking. Its better when standing however, as you can really get physical and duck behind cover and blind fire and stuff.

Maligna

Banned
Mortal Blitz is similar in that you are shooting and ducking. Its better when standing however, as you can really get physical and duck behind cover and blind fire and stuff.

It was fine, but after Farpoint I don't know why I'd ever go back to play Mortal Blitz.

Kyolux

Seeing this makes me think of what a VR Life is Strange or Until Dawn could be. Anyone know when Loading Human chapter two is coming out?

For Until Dawn, I'm assuming The Inpatient is as close as it'll be.

For Loading Human. I kind of doubt we'll ever see chapter 2. It probably flopped. :(

CEJames

new summer lesson PV came out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JicmQ8aD1M
the first game is on one of the asian psn shops right (in english) ?

That one isn't a part of the original is it? It'll be a whole new standalone?

For Until Dawn, I'm assuming The Inpatient is as close as it'll be.

For Loading Human. I kind of doubt we'll ever see chapter 2. It probably flopped. :(

Yep....pretty much flopped. They needed to make it 15 or 20 dollars max but went for too much for what we got.

So got everything set up but can't really figure out how to use the Move controllers. They're paired. The button inputs work. But can you not navigate the menus with it? Tried to use them in Rez too, but couldn't get anything but the DS4 to work (button inputs worked though). Am I missing something?

bumpkin

So got everything set up but can't really figure out how to use the Move controllers. They're paired. The button inputs work. But can you not navigate the menus with it? Tried to use them in Rez too, but couldn't get anything but the DS4 to work (button inputs worked though). Am I missing something?
I can't speak to the buttons not doing anything in Rez, but in the dashboard, you hold the T button and swipe in a direction to move/navigate the menus.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Finally had a chance to play further into Farpoint, up inti the second "mission".

Holy crap this is the real deal. The high watermark for me was Raw Data and Arizona Sunshine on the Vive which are excellent games. But this is the best by far. Extremely visceral, I'm dashing and ducking, the enemies are fantastic. The big rock spider things are massive and really intimidating.

Amazing game so far.

bumpkin

Has anyone taken the plunge on Chess Ultra? What do you think? Any good?

Also, does it support network play against people over PSN? How are they represented in the game, just disembodied hands?

darkwing

Has anyone taken the plunge on Chess Ultra? What do you think? Any good?

Also, does it support network play against people over PSN? How are they represented in the game, just disembodied hands?

it has cross play with PC players too from the product description

Chun-Li

Anyone have tips for the best way to play Windlands with the Move controllers? There's quite a few options available but I didn't get a chance to try them all.

I really liked how accurate the move felt though. At least after playing for 30 mins. Makes me want a Spider-Man VR game.

Anyone have tips for the best way to play Windlands with the Move controllers? There's quite a few options available but I didn't get a chance to try them all.

I really liked how accurate the move felt though. At least after playing for 30 mins. Makes me want a Spider-Man VR game.

Got no tips here. The game with moves really doesn't click with me, think I played too much with the DS4 and want the experience to be as close to that but with motion and the controllers aren't really capable of doing that.

Rope control is the one I found to work best for gameplay elements in isolation, I'm happy to do the platforming and feels good with it (would be happy with that control scheme in games like Skrim VR) and good with the rope work but mix them together it feels clunky and breaks any flow. Can't do any of the old tricks with it either. Maybe I need more time to adjust but so far feels way too slow you have to sacrifice fluidity regardless of the control scheme.

I can see why it might work well for people who get motion sickness from the game in the past as it restricts you quite a bit comparative to the DS4.

Anarion07

WITHE1982

This game looks amazing.
Here is the reveal trailer if someone has not seen it
Theseus
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBNaSNPXyoU
coming summer 2017 on PSVR

I recently watched the 360 video on YouTube and was quite impressed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weQtERaTPVk

Also just pre-ordered Elite Dangerous, which releases on Tuesday. What's the chances of it getting PSVR support? I'm guessing slim to not a chance in hell. Shame as I think it could be a massive deal if it ever happened.

Also , also bought The Assembly in the recent sale (£7.99 PS+) and was wondering what everyone's preferred control scheme is? Should I go PS Move or stick with DS4?

Got no tips here. The game with moves really doesn't click with me, think I played too much with the DS4 and want the experience to be as close to that but with motion and the controllers aren't really capable of doing that.

Rope control is the one I found to work best for gameplay elements in isolation, I'm happy to do the platforming and feels good with it (would be happy with that control scheme in games like Skrim VR) and good with the rope work but mix them together it feels clunky and breaks any flow. Can't do any of the old tricks with it either. Maybe I need more time to adjust but so far feels way too slow you have to sacrifice fluidity regardless of the control scheme.

I can see why it might work well for people who get motion sickness from the game in the past as it restricts you quite a bit comparative to the DS4.

This.

I suggest playing the game in easy mode where you can attach to anything because without the ability to do the tricks on move like you could on DS4 some of the later levels (level 2 tbh) will be impossible imo. I already played them on DS4 and had a problem, I simply tried them on move and ugh.

The move is great in regards to tracking but I see what took them so long to drop the patch, they were trying to find a way to make the game playable to the same level as the ds4. It's hard and they tried their best for sure, but they had to make compromises and significant ones they did

Also just pre-ordered Elite Dangerous, which releases on Tuesday. What's the chances of it getting PSVR support? I'm guessing slim to not a chance in hell. Shame as I think it could be a massive deal if it ever happened.

Very slim. The devs are obviously open to it but have said they want parity across consoles and PC, the game has an iterative structure so they can update easily which makes certain PSVR workarounds harder to implement. With PCVR it is just a case of having the specs to run the game but PS4 doesn't have this luxury. We are seeing how a lot of VR games that are on PC require a lot of tricks that developers used on older generations to get the content when converting to PSVR, we see these tricks with console conversions anyway but PSVR needs more work. If it does get released for PSVR I'm buying it immediately.

darkwing

true, the nearest PSVR parity we have with the PC , would be EVE Valkyrie but it is such a comparatively lightweight game compared to Elite

This.

I suggest playing the game in easy mode where you can attach to anything because without the ability to do the tricks on move like you could on DS4 some of the later levels (level 2 tbh) will be impossible imo. I already played them on DS4 and had a problem, I simply tried them on move and ugh.

The move is great in regards to tracking but I see what took them so long to drop the patch, they were trying to find a way to make the game playable to the same level as the ds4. It's hard and they tried their best for sure, but they had to make compromises and significant ones they did

I tried Windlands with Move controllers, and I gave up after about 2 hours. It might work in the beginning areas, but it becomes too frustrating at later stages. I am going to give it another go, but I do not have high hopes.

I know that I am sounding like a broken record, but they should have looked at Loading Human for inspiration. That game has full locomotion with moves, and it works. In that game, I was able to fluidly and simultaneously move and turn after getting over the initial hump.

I tried Windlands with Move controllers, and I gave up after about 2 hours. It might work in the beginning areas, but it becomes too frustrating at later stages. I am going to give it another go, but I do not have high hopes.

I know that I am sounding like a broken record, but they should have looked at Loading Human for inspiration. That game has full locomotion with moves, and it works. In that game, I was able to fluidly and simultaneously move and turn after getting over the initial hump.

Hence my suggestion for playing easy mode. Helps a lot.

BTW, how do I easily get on top of bushes? Trying to climb up the bushes is one of the most frustrating things about this game for me.

1. Shoot at the edge swing under then pull the rope in so you shoot away from the bush then let go before your trajectory is changed, when you fly above shoot down on the top and pull yourself in.

2. When in motion use the bottom of the bush to grab onto and just swing so you come up the other side, when you are out the other side let go turn around shoot the top and pull in.

3. From underneath you can either fling yourself above using the edge, turn around and pull back in. Or you can jump so you fall at the edge of where you want to pull yourself up and quickly latch on and pull up letting go when near the top and the motion should make you land on top.

4. Shoot the side just above the mid point, let go when you get close and jump to propel yourself upwards. You might go up and backwards so will need to pull yourself in but usually will just land on the top.

5. Metroid style wall jump with no ropes. The game mechanics take motion into account so if you are moving up and jump you will jump much higher. Most vertical elements can be scaled without using the ropes as long as there is something for you to jump onto, trees are the easiest to use this technique on. Hard mode requires you to do this often.

1. Shoot at the edge swing under then pull the rope in so you shoot away from the bush then let go before your trajectory is changed, when you fly above shoot down on the top and pull yourself in.

2. When in motion use the bottom of the bush to grab onto and just swing so you come up the other side, when you are out the other side let go turn around shoot the top and pull in.

3. From underneath you can either fling yourself above using the edge, turn around and pull back in. Or you can jump so you fall at the edge of where you want to pull yourself up and quickly latch on and pull up letting go when near the top and the motion should make you land on top.

4. Shoot the side just above the mid point, let go when you get close and jump to propel yourself upwards. You might go up and backwards so will need to pull yourself in but usually will just land on the top.

5. Metroid style wall jump with no ropes. The game mechanics take motion into account so if you are moving up and jump you will jump much higher. Most vertical elements can be scaled without using the ropes as long as there is something for you to jump onto, trees are the easiest to use this technique on. Hard mode requires you to do this often.

I am going to try these when I play the game again. Thanks for these!

BTW, how do I easily get on top of bushes? Trying to climb up the bushes is one of the most frustrating things about this game for me.

I suggest these.

Also once you get close to the edge jump and then shoot a another rope on the top of it and keep spamming jump haha.

mattmanp

I finally bought Tethered and the move support they recently added is awesome. I played the demo with DS4 and the move control is way better!

So what's changed is you hold one trigger and move that controller to pan around world, hold both triggers and spread to zoom (change scale is what they call it), and hold both triggers and make a circle with both controllers to rotate. It's very intuitive and IMO a big improvement over cloud hopping.

I'm glad I got this, I think it's now passed Wayward Sky as my favorite non-FPS in VR.

MattAces

I finally bought Tethered and the move support they recently added is awesome. I played the demo with DS4 and the move control is way better!

So what's changed is you hold one trigger and move that controller to pan around world, hold both triggers and spread to zoom (change scale is what they call it), and hold both triggers and make a circle with both controllers to rotate. It's very intuitive and IMO a big improvement over cloud hopping.

I'm glad I got this, I think it's now passed Wayward Sky as my favorite non-FPS in VR.

Tethered is really good, too bad the later levels are more or less the same, I wish they would have different themed map/monsters. Core gameplay is good though, but the game is way too stressful, especially when you forget to manage one of them.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
So I'm having some view wobble problems. I initially brought a unit home from work a few months ago to play RE7. I had to constantly tweak my setup to remove head wobble. What I mean by that is if your head is close to an object, the viewpoint in VR is constantly "wobbling" around. It's subtle, but very annoying.

I was finally able to amend this by putting the camera on my coffee table about 3 feet in front of me and pointing it at my head. This eliminated all wobble.

So, I just got my own PSVR and Farpoint. I put the camera on top of my TV and stood in front of it. I'm totally inside the volume that Farpoint shows, and I'm standing about 4-5 feet back from the camera. The wobble isn't noticable in normal gameplay other that when I look directly at my gun. It wobbles a bit. Not sure if that's the Aim controller or the headset... hard to tell.

But, whenever I'm in a cutscene, sitting at a stationary camera, the wobble is back in full effect. It's very distracting. The viewpoint wobbles in random directions inside about a 1-2-inch radius.

Here are the things I have tried so far:

Hard rebooted my PS4.

Went through the calibrate headset lights thing on the control panel.

Turned off all the lights in my room.

Put the camera below the TV facing up.

Nothing gets rid of the wobble.

I haven't been able to try what I did with RE7 because Farpoint is a standing game and putting the camera 3 feet in front of me is not plausible.

I did load up RE7 and tested with the camera on top of the TV and the wobble was still there. Putting the camera on my coffee table removed the wobble entirely.

I'm using the newest PS4 camera (the cylinder with two lenses. The plastic protectors were removed from both lenses). Also- my TV that the camera is sitting on isn't wobbling. I checked that as well.

Any advice?

MattAces

So I'm having some view wobble problems. I initially brought a unit home from work a few months ago to play RE7. I had to constantly tweak my setup to remove head wobble. What I mean by that is if your head is close to an object, the viewpoint in VR is constantly "wobbling" around. It's subtle, but very annoying.

I was finally able to amend this by putting the camera on my coffee table about 3 feet in front of me and pointing it at my head. This eliminated all wobble.

So, I just got my own PSVR and Farpoint. I put the camera on top of my TV and stood in front of it. I'm totally inside the volume that Farpoint shows, and I'm standing about 4-5 feet back from the camera. The wobble isn't noticable in normal gameplay other that when I look directly at my gun. It wobbles a bit. Not sure if that's the Aim controller or the headset... hard to tell.

But, whenever I'm in a cutscene, sitting at a stationary camera, the wobble is back in full effect. It's very distracting. The viewpoint wobbles in random directions inside about a 1-2-inch radius.

Here are the things I have tried so far:

Hard rebooted my PS4.

Went through the calibrate headset lights thing on the control panel.

Turned off all the lights in my room.

Put the camera below the TV facing up.

Nothing gets rid of the wobble.

I haven't been able to try what I did with RE7 because Farpoint is a standing game and putting the camera 3 feet in front of me is not plausible.

I did load up RE7 and tested with the camera on top of the TV and the wobble was still there. Putting the camera on my coffee table removed the wobble entirely.

I'm using the newest PS4 camera (the cylinder with two lenses. The plastic protectors were removed from both lenses). Also- my TV that the camera is sitting on isn't wobbling. I checked that as well.

Any advice?

For Farpoint cutscene and the main menu, yes, it wobbles, that seems to be unavoidable, it is minimal but for some reason during gameplay the wobble was completely gone. Try to always stand and remain in the center of the camera view and avoid having the light sphere overlap your headset. And the usual most helpful thing is leave the headset on a flat surface for at least 10~30 seconds when you power it on. If you have wobble issue again, take it off and put it on a flat surface. Don't power off and on over and over. During the headset bootup, it will calibrate internally, leaving it on a flat surface will help.

When wobble gets bad, try pausing, taking the headset off and putting it on a flat surface like a coffee table for a minute. I've heard that can help.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
For Farpoint cutscene and the main menu, yes, it wobbles, that seems to be unavoidable, it is minimal but for some reason during gameplay the wobble was completely gone. Try to always stand and remain in the center of the camera view and avoid having the light sphere overlap your headset. And the usual most helpful thing is leave the headset on a flat surface for at least 10~30 seconds when you power it on. If you have wobble issue again, take it off and put it on a flat surface. Don't power off and on over and over.

That is really bizarre. Yeah, the main menu wobbles as well. Everyone has this problem? I wonder why it only happens at the menu and during cutscenes...

MattAces

That is really bizarre. Yeah, the main menu wobbles as well. Everyone has this problem? I wonder why it only happens at the menu and during cutscenes...

It's a really weird issue, a lot of VR game menus are tracked poorly but in game it's fine. Maybe to save some resource?
Anyway in Dick Wilde, everything is pretty much flawless, you can strafe left and right, duck down and do whatever you want, the tracking is rock solid, no wobble, pretty much perfect tracking. Even in Farpoint the gun is shaking/vibrating most of the time but for some reason in Dick Wilde, the gun is EXTREMELY stable.

Top Bottom