• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Thread 2: Reloaded

Just want to add my recommendation for Driveclub VR. I’d seen comments and even YT reviews say it was the worst VR racing game, especially from a visuals standpoint but I disagree.

Game is great, graphics are low res sure but very solid and lots going on. When you are flying around the tracks it is fine.

I’ve played a few racing games on my Oculus, the best being Dirt in VR but Driveclub is just so much better. Perfect setup to get your view and position inside the car, great controls, opponent vehicles look great and the whole thing is polished.

Not sure how GT Sport will compare (just one car opponent right?) but DC is well worth it, especially during the VR sale right now.

I played a tonne of DriveClub and picked up DCVR at launch. Never had any problem with motion sickness. I think the VR implementation is brilliant, really well thought out.

I really feel it got unfair criticism, particularly with regards to it's graphics. Obviously, the best looking 30fps racer would have to have scaled back graphics for locked 60fps stereo rendering for VR.

With the lighting and PBR, scaling back the graphics for 60fps was never going to be easy. But the lighting adds a lot to the experience IMO, even with the trackside details scaled back.

It's just a shame Evolution got shuttered, and they didn't get to patch in Pro Support to really showcase what they could have achieved.

I avoided Driveclub at launch because of people complaining.

Just got it cheap recently and my experience with it is not similar to others. The low resolution is certainly a thing but I still find it looks great and is a fun game with a great sense of speed, especially when I make my car invisible and fly down the roads.

Anyhow, is there going to be an OT for Megaton Rainfall?

ChouGoku

Wow Megaton Rainfall is fun as fuck so far, about 30 mins in. Yeeeeesh there needs to be a VR DBZ game with battles that take place across earth

Hazanko

Banned
Not a fan of Megaton Rainfall. The graphics ain't great and I didn't feel that immersed in it. I did quite like blowing things up and for the price it's okay. Maybe some will enjoy it more.

TheMan

Not a fan of Megaton Rainfall. The graphics ain't great and I didn't feel that immersed in it. I did quite like blowing things up and for the price it's okay. Maybe some will enjoy it more.

that's a shame. I haven't really been following but I'm hankering for a new VR experience. Also weighing buying a new flight sim, plus GT sport comes out this week.

decisions decisions

bumpkin

I avoided Driveclub at launch because of people complaining.

Just got it cheap recently and my experience with it is not similar to others. The low resolution is certainly a thing but I still find it looks great and is a fun game with a great sense of speed, especially when I make my car invisible and fly down the roads.
Agreed. I scored it on the cheap a few months ago and I enjoyed it much more than I thought I would. It seemed like it was universally panned by gamers (and some reviewers), but I think it's great. Dirt Rally edges it out slightly in terms of graphical fidelity, but Drive Club is much easier to get into and more fun, much faster. Dirt Rally's learning curve is brutal.

MattAces

From watching several footage, Megaton Rainfall soundtrack is really really good.
Still debating if I should wait for Move update before buying it.

during the VR sale I bought

Rez Infinite
Brookhaven Experiment
Monkey King
Mortal Blitz
Surgeon Simulator
Job Simulator
Unearthing Mars

and also even though not on sale
Chernobyl VR

I did good, right guys?

D23

Just tried playing dirt and driveclub with my new racing rig (t300 and PlaySeat challenge) omg omg omg.. the level of immersion of vr racing + wheel is insane.

So ready for Gran Turismo VR

ChouGoku

Id say the graphics are pretty good, I'd put them in Archangel level. Very sharp (Pro) but fairly simple graphics. There is still a pretty good sense of scale, I've heard otherwise but I wonder if their IPD scale is correct

any must buys from the sale?
not sure if I'll get to them before the next sale comes around...
I find that it's a bit tough to recommend VR games, specially since we all respond different to it. You kinda have to do your own research and watch videos in order to know if you are going to like it.

Anyways, here's some games that I recommend:

-Driveclub VR (quite a bit of content if you are into racing, but I've heard Dirt Rally and possibly GT Sport might be better VR racers than this, but the price is really good)
-REZ is a must even at Full price if you haven't gotten it already.
-Star Wars Battlefront VR Mission (unless you are interested in the dying MP game that is getting replaced with it's sequel, you are going to pay $5 for a really good 20 min Star Wars VR experience)
-I Expect you to Die is like parody of secret agent movies with puzzle elements, it's really good, specially at that $10 price.
-Mortal Blitz is okay if like games like Time Crisis.
-Tumble VR is a great puzzle game for that price.
-Same goes for Statik, a puzzle game that makes think outside the box.
-Windlands is basically Spider-Man/Attack on Titan in VR. Use the moves to grapple unto things, it's really fun.
-Keep Taking and nobody explodes is great if you have a companion to play it with.
-Sparc is recent but so far its good and the closest you'll get to a Tron 1v1 disc fight.
-Tomb Raider has a interesting walking simulator VR mode where you can explore the Croft mansion and learn about Lara's parents. A great extra mode to a great game.
-Batman VR is a must if haven't gotten it by now.
-Battlezone is a cool tank game with procedurally generated levels , has online co-op (a bit dead though).
-Farpoint is only worth it with the Aim Controller.

That's all the games I'd played.

ChouGoku

Where is Megaton Rainfall released? I'm in the US and searching brings up nothing.

in Europe

Holy hell the end of MR is nuts, what a fun game. Galaxy hopping is fun as hell, the lighting in this game is amazing. Hopefully there is DLC later because they could definitely expand the game. If anything though the tech is amazing

Felensis

Banned
Some VR games have mentioned PlayStation Eye (PS3's camera) and the Move Navigation controller as optional supported devices in their respective PS Store descriptions. Anyone know if this is true? An example would be The Invisible Hours.

Joystick

Just want to add my recommendation for Driveclub VR. I’d seen comments and even YT reviews say it was the worst VR racing game, especially from a visuals standpoint but I disagree.

I totally agree with you. I was a bit baffled how much it was getting canned.

Not sure how GT Sport will compare (just one car opponent right?) but DC is well worth it, especially during the VR sale right now.

Graphically GT Sport looks much better, at least on Pro, and the racing looks fun but a another couple of opponent cars would be better.

I hope that the car inspection mode allows you to check out the interior and possibly under the hood.

shaneo632

What is the general opinion of Star Trek Bridge Crew? Is it worth picking up for thirty bucks?

Yes, I loved it. Just bear in mind that the multiplayer community may be severely shrunk from launch, and the missions can be a bit repetitive.

HOWEVER if the playerbase is still healthy this game is a goddamn blast.

Statik vs. I Expect You To Die

Don't have a PSVR yet but want to pick up one of these to prepare for that eventuality (and will get the other eventually). What do I play first. Help me VRGAF!

EDIT - Also thoughts on Battlezone? As a launch title (and probably dead online-coop), still worth getting? Did they patch things to be a little easier and add more content?

MattAces

Don't have a PSVR yet but want to pick up one of these to prepare for that eventuality (and will get the other eventually). What do I play first. Help me VRGAF!

EDIT - Also thoughts on Battlezone? As a launch title (and probably dead online-coop), still worth getting? Did they patch things to be a little easier and add more content?

IEYTD is shorter, DLC coming soon though.
Statik might take you more time.

Battlezone is pretty good but nauseating as hell, lacking head-tracked weapons.
The game is roguelike, you get to keep the major unlocks though. You progress through a grid map with scenarios, decisions to make, at the end of the day you shoot stuff.
The graphic is definitely underwhelming, I was expecting more since it's mainly polygon graphics. Still spent quite a lot of time in it during launch, how much is it? If it's around 10-20, I guess it's not too bad.

gmoran

I love Battlezone its a proper VR game that you can play for a long time.

Some have issues with motion sickness, so you need to bear that in mind.

Difficulty got tweaked, and that really helps, but the most important thing to remember is that you are meant to initially die, each mission has the potential to unlock new weapons, and the weapons are awesome. But to really kick ass you need the high level versions of various weapons.

gmoran

Just tried playing dirt and driveclub with my new racing rig (t300 and PlaySeat challenge) omg omg omg.. the level of immersion of vr racing + wheel is insane.

So ready for Gran Turismo VR

Agreed, driving games were made for VR, you are no longer hindered by that 2D window and your natural abilities to perceive corners and avoid obstacles makes it so much easier to, er, drive.

I'd never go back to 2D driving games again, there's no point. Shame cause I loved AC.

I love Battlezone its a proper VR game that you can play for a long time.

Some have issues with motion sickness, so you need to bear that in mind.

Difficulty got tweaked, and that really helps, but the most important thing to remember is that you are meant to initially die, each mission has the potential to unlock new weapons, and the weapons are awesome. But to really kick ass you need the high level versions of various weapons.

I remember sweating a bit playing the demo last year, but I was also very inexperienced with VR. Got a few more hours to mull it over though...thanks!

MattAces

As the local expert, which one is "better"? Better from an immersive standpoint and just more fun overall. Not opposed to a short experience, especially if it's awesome (i.e. Batman)

In terms of better from an immersive standpoint, I would say Statik and IEYTD, equal.
As for more fun overall, hmm, it's a tough choice but I will say Statik and IEYTD, equal.

For real though, IEYTD uses Move, so that might be more immersive, then again Statik game design is basically you holding a DS4/box, so both are equally immersive. IEYTD is more light hearted and funny game while Statik has a very serious spooky vibe. IEYTD is definitely the more "fun" one.

In terms of better from an immersive standpoint, I would say Statik and IEYTD, equal.
As for more fun overall, hmm, it's a tough choice but I will say Statik and IEYTD, equal.

For real though, IEYTD uses Move, so that might be more immersive, then again Statik game design is basically you holding a DS4/box, so both are equally immersive. IEYTD is more light hearted and funny game while Statik has a very serious spooky vibe. IEYTD is definitely the more "fun" one.

Knowing that Statik doesn't use the move controllers and I might not have those first thing when I get the PSVR, I'll go with that for now. Thanks for the details!

bumpkin

Nice, I found a copy of GTS in a RedBox. Tonight I'll have to fire up Drive Club for a race or two and then pop GTS in and see how it compares.

MattAces

So verdict for Megaton Rainfall?
Most of the PSVR community LOVED it.
PushSquare video pretty much checks all of my "concern list", which is the lack of game and extremely short.

I don't like Megaton Rainfall at all. Having said that, it seems like I'm in the minority. To be honest, I'm having to force myself to play it.

MattAces

I don't like Megaton Rainfall at all. Having said that, it seems like I'm in the minority. To be honest, I'm having to force myself to play it.

Did you finish it? Estimated hours?
From what I've heard, it sounds like a very arcadey game where you just shoot aliens from mission to mission. The flying and effects really sells the game though.

Graphically GT Sport looks much better, at least on Pro, and the racing looks fun but a another couple of opponent cars would be better.

I hope that the car inspection mode allows you to check out the interior and possibly under the hood.

it is a real shame they just didn't incorporate a full on VR mode like Dirt Rally did. No excuse really.

ChouGoku

Did you finish it? Estimated hours?
From what I've heard, it sounds like a very arcadey game where you just shoot aliens from mission to mission. The flying and effects really sells the game though.

I beat it in like 4 hours, granted I spent some time flying around thee universe

panda-zebra

At the very least I'm buying Megaton Rainfall just to experience the tech.

https://giant.gfycat.com/GrimyDarlingKob.webm

First idea: at the time of the explosion, the engine takes a snapshot of the house just as it's seen from the camera. Yes, a snapshot. A bitmap. Next it generates a particle effect that fills the space of the exploded zone, and apply the snapshot to the particles as a texture, so that from the camera, the first frame of the explosion is seen exactly the same. Continuity achieved! You can follow every detail with your eyes during the explosion until they disperse. Besides the particles are GPU-accelerated 2D billboards. The PS4 can handle bazillions easily. The feeling is phenomenal and no other game handles the explosions this way as far as I know.

Cleve

I'm really excited for No Heroes Allowed VR, I loved the series on PSP, and it looks amazing, I just hope there's a decent bit of content or replayability.

Have there been any reviews yet?

wapplew

I'm really excited for No Heroes Allowed VR, I loved the series on PSP, and it looks amazing, I just hope there's a decent bit of content or replayability.

Have there been any reviews yet?

Bought it yesterday, played maybe 4-5 hours, here's my early impression.
Game itself it's fun. It's RTS where you build, manage unit and conquer enemy base. Everything happen on the table.
You place spawning pool and unit automatically spawn, basic unit eat fruit, normal unit eat your basic unit and so on, that how you grow your army.
Control is great with dualshock as pointing devices, very accurate.
Graphic is simple but crisps, unit have low frame rate animation give it claymation feel.
Gameplay is great, simple enough for VR still give me some good challenge.
Only problem is I'm not sure VR add too much for the game, could work as 2D title without losing much.

MattAces

Bought it yesterday, played maybe 4-5 hours, here's my early impression.
Game itself it's fun. It's RTS where you build, manage unit and conquer enemy base. Everything happen on the table.
You place spawning pool and unit automatically spawn, basic unit eat fruit, normal unit eat your basic unit and so on, that how you grow your army.
Control is great with dualshock as pointing devices, very accurate.
Graphic is simple but crisps, unit have low frame rate animation give it claymation feel.
Gameplay is great, simple enough for VR still give me some good challenge.
Only problem is I'm not sure VR add too much for the game, could work as 2D title without losing much.

How many hours of gameplay are we looking at? Replayability?
10+ or below 10 hours.

wapplew

How many hours of gameplay are we looking at? Replayability?
10+ or below 10 hours.

I've clear almost half of the level within 4-5 hours, if later level become harder, I have to replay earlier level to grind unit upgrade point.
10 hours is my guess, that on normal difficulty tho. I'm likely to play on hard after I finish, gameplay is fun.

I think gameplay is better than Tethered, since the AI it's better and I don't have to micro manage them too much.
But Tethered is more immersive because you are in the level and have to look around, where No Heroes Allowed everything happen on the table, you have clear view of the map, which better for the gameplay.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
in Europe

Holy hell the end of MR is nuts, what a fun game. Galaxy hopping is fun as hell, the lighting in this game is amazing. Hopefully there is DLC later because they could definitely expand the game. If anything though the tech is amazing

How long did it take you to beat it?

Top Bottom