• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Vue Goes Nationwide, Starting at $29.99 in New Markets

Is the NFL game on NFL Network blacked out for anyone else on Vue? I live in Wisconsin... Giving me an screen saying they have not been granted permission to stream certain programs over the Internet?

The hell is going on with Vue lately.

They may have put more restrictions on live sports.

I noticed that I couldn't stream Blazer games over my phone or browser anymore, but it worked just fine on my PS4.

U2NUMB

How is Vue on the newest Roku? I have a Roku 2 for my room and the app is really limited compared to the native PS4 app. For example, I have about 30 episodes recorded on the PS4, but the Roku only displays the previous 10 or so. I'm hoping that the Roku 4 has an identical UI to the PS4, but I have no idea.

I have used Vue on my Roku 4 for months and besides the stupid interface it worked just fine. I recently bought a Roku ultra and it runs even better. Super fast and reliable.

I do have good 110 download but after months of using it on both the high end rokus I am impressed.

To answer your specific question the UI does not change... My biggest beef.. it's the tablet UI blown up, not the one from ps4 or even Amazon fire.

rb_2bc-0 & rw_2bc-0 & rs_2mk-0

Just since last night I have been getting these errors and been unable to use Vue at all. This just started, nothing changed with my network. Vue works fine on mobile over 4G but not wifi. I've tried portforwarding, power cycling, everything. I get these errors on my PS4, the web, PS3, and mobile.

i keep forgetting you can use it on web browsers now.. anyone had any experience with that?
I had no problems the few times I've used it at home.

Is Vue 1080P with 5.1? The video compression can be quite awful, so it's hard to tell. And I think it's only stereo, but I can find no confirmation and it doesn't sound like it is more ham two channels.

Those are my two biggest complaints of Vue.

pacman85

Looks like Sling TV is getting DVR service. Hopefully this makes Vue step up their game, get Viacom channels back and add other new channels.

Kaladin

Looks like Sling TV is getting DVR service. Hopefully this makes Vue step up their game, get Viacom channels back and add other new channels.

I actually had episodes of Chopped work off our DVR for the first time in months this weekend. The Vue DVR is too hit and miss for me to consider keeping the service especially with growing competition.

KodaRuss

Still waiting for local channels in my area. If they ever get those added, I will sign up.

Is an antenna not an option?

Thats probably what I would do if DFW wasnt added.

Losing Viacom hurts a little but we were able to download my son's show from Nick Jr on Amazon so everything is fine.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I actually had episodes of Chopped work off our DVR for the first time in months this weekend. The Vue DVR is too hit and miss for me to consider keeping the service especially with growing competition.

I've never had major issues with the DVR aside from the fact you can adjust schedule times for shows that don't line up with the guide's times. It actually works pretty well all things considered and I don't have a great internet connection even.

Miyahon

I had no problems the few times I've used it at home.

Is Vue 1080P with 5.1? The video compression can be quite awful, so it's hard to tell. And I think it's only stereo, but I can find no confirmation and it doesn't sound like it is more ham two channels.

Those are my two biggest complaints of Vue.

Vue is 720p and in stereo unless that has changed

Kaladin

I've never had major issues with the DVR aside from the fact you can adjust schedule times for shows that don't line up with the guide's times. It actually works pretty well all things considered and I don't have a great internet connection even.

I have an issue with not being able to adjust recording times every Monday night Raw runs over.

The issue I have with "recorded" things is weird and clearly on their end. Recorded shows won't play often even when live TV and DVR will. To make things even more muddy, the same episode I've had issues with before will work weeks later when I get the urge to try it.

I saw that earlier. I would say DVR is the big thing that Vue has over Sling right now. Outside the upper tier lists that Vue has for people who are into more niche programming and channels that Vue trumps Sling at, but as far as basic and mainstream programming, a DVR function makes the two way more competitive

HStallion

Is Sling going to be cloud DVR or something stored on whatever device you're using? I'm guessing Cloud storage as otherwise it would be tough to do with a dedicated Sling device.

Is Sling going to be cloud DVR or something stored on whatever device you're using? I'm guessing Cloud storage as otherwise it would be tough to do with a dedicated Sling device.

It's cloud based. But apparently it doesn't have a time limit on sows like Vue does. Apparently, there is a beta going for Roku users of Sling (and only Roku users lol), but I haven't seen anything much about it as of yet.

HStallion

It's cloud based. But apparently it doesn't have a time limit on sows like Vue does. Apparently, there is a beta going for Roku users of Sling (and only Roku users lol), but I haven't seen anything much about it as of yet.

Oh wow unlimited DVR? Wonder if Sony will react and try something similar.

Not sure if it's unlimited, but no specific time limit at least. Here's the article I read.

http://www.pcmag.com/news/349888/sling-tv-adding-cloud-dvr-feature

In a statement, Sling TV CEO Roger Lynch took a veiled shot at PS Vue, noting that "unlike other OTT services, we're delivering a true cloud DVR with no 28-day restriction on your recordings, marking another win for Sling TV and our customers."

Sling TV will automatically manage DVR space by deleting the oldest "watched" videos when capacity is full. In the future, Sling TV plans to let you upgrade your DVR storage space.

"Sling TV will continue to evolve the cloud DVR throughout the beta time period based on customer feedback and usage behavior," the company wrote in its announcement.

Sling's pricing breakdown makes no sense though. Sling Blue, Sling Orange, Blue+Orange, and all the +$5 expansions that are only one channel or a bunch, depending on which base plan or plans you have...

It's literally impossible to have Disney Junior, Nick Jr., and Cartoon Network/AS all in one plan without paying like $45 minimum.

HStallion

Interesting bit about upgrading your DVR space. Wonder if there will be different tiers of DVR you can purchase with larger amounts of storage space.

Sling's pricing breakdown makes no sense though. Sling Blue, Sling Orange, Blue+Orange, and all the +$5 expansions that are only one channel or a bunch, depending on which base plan or plans you have...

It makes a degree of sense when you see the two packages are prioritized certain tastes. Also pretty sure all the expansion packs have more than just one channel? The only exceptions are HBO, Cinemax and Starz, but expecting to get them for $5 or something is, unfortunately, just not plausible at all.

I may have to switch to Sling now that it offers DVR. That is huge.
Keep in mind guys that like anything else SlingTV offers, this feature will only be available on certain channels. Namely not available on anything Disney owned.
Variety said:
However, Sling TV’s DVR feature will not be available for Disney, ABC or ESPN channels — because the Disney-owned networks’ distribution agreements for Sling do not allow recording of their programming on the internet-delivered service.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Is the NFL game on NFL Network blacked out for anyone else on Vue? I live in Wisconsin... Giving me an screen saying they have not been granted permission to stream certain programs over the Internet?

The hell is going on with Vue lately.

Some thursday night games are exclusive to twitter via streaming.

Do you watch sports? It fails to record the whole game when it runs over (I have to make sure i record the next program and sometimes that fails).

HStallion

Do you watch sports? It fails to record the whole game when it runs over (I have to make sure i record the next program and sometimes that fails).

I mention that very problem in the post you quoted lol. I'm well aware and its my one large gripe with the Vue DVR.

Edit: Guess I missed something in that post you quoted, it should have read: aside from the fact you can't adjust schedule times for shows that don't line up with the guide's times

beat

super tangentially: European DVRs automatically keep recording when games run over scheduled time: www.slate.com/articles/arts/culture...feature_that_makes_european_dvrs_so_much.html

Patel explains that broadcasters supply Freesat and certain other international television providers with what’s called “present and following” information—that is, the identity of the program that’s airing right now and the one that’s scheduled to air next. Even if a program (like, say, a sporting event) is supposed to end at 10:30 p.m., the broadcaster will not change that present and following data until the game is actually over. A customer’s DVR, in turn, will not stop recording until it’s been signaled that the present and following information has changed. This feature is called “accurate recording,” and that’s exactly what it is.

When will Sony fix the annoying issue of show skipping last 10-15 secs because PSVue app f'in starts playing the next show and there is no way to cancel it. WTF SONY!!!!!

Also they should allow to set additional recording time since some games go past the normal game time and unless you record the next show also, you might miss the end.

Also found out Nick is no longer available??? My kids went crazy when they couldn't watch Sponge Bob. Thanks Sony!

It makes a degree of sense when you see the two packages are prioritized certain tastes. Also pretty sure all the expansion packs have more than just one channel? The only exceptions are HBO, Cinemax and Starz, but expecting to get them for $5 or something is, unfortunately, just not plausible at all.
Used the mobile site and it was showing only one on each expansion. Might have been a glitch though.

Also found out Nick is no longer available??? My kids went crazy when they couldn't watch Sponge Bob. Thanks Sony!

I recommend Amazon Prime Video for SpongeBob and a bunch of other Nick/Jr. shows. Though they probably don't have the newest seasons.

Vue is slowly starting to show its ugly side....

Local sports games are blacked out when trying to watch on browser or through Chromecast, forcing me to watch on my PS4 despite all of the devices being on the same network.

For whatever reason, random episodes of shows I watch are available on browser, others are not.

This happened last night with The Walking Dead, I watched last week's episode just fine through a browser, but it didn't let me watch the newest episode, again forcing me to turn on my PS4.

I also noticed on the browser, random episodes of this current season of Walking Dead were available on browser, others were not, not just the newest episode.

muteki

How is the rewinding/fast-forwarding now compared to launch?
Has it been updated any?

This has been updated, but I have different experiences with it depending on channel.

Some channels show a real time preview during FF/Rev, others only show a still image while you scroll.

On PS4 at least.

Looking at Direct TV Now it appears that all of Viacom's channels are on the lowest tier, even Nicktoons and TeenNick. I think this may have been part of the issue with Vue. Viacom wanted it all on the cheapest option and the deal wasn't right for Sony.

J-Skee

Looking at Direct TV Now it appears that all of Viacom's channels are on the lowest tier, even Nicktoons and TeenNick. I think this may have been part of the issue with Vue. Viacom wanted it all on the cheapest option and the deal wasn't right for Sony.

Unless we learn from someone who knows the ins & outs, we may never know why Viacom channels were removed.

HStallion

Weren't most of their options already offered on the cheapest tier of Vue?

Top Bottom